• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

ChrisD

Jesus that thread on Reddit about telling people to commit suicide being perma ban worthy is gross.

[–]tempname-3ayy lmao 1377 points 18 hours ago
when the community is so shit that being told to kill themselves is just a normal thing LUL

Flashing with Taric's E is super neat-o, got two kills and won a Baron teamfight with it in my last game. I try to treat it as if I was ulting as Sona.

copy pasta pls
Here you go
Road to Pre-Season: Gameplay Systems Update
BY GENTLEMAN GUSTAF
It’s pre-season again, and that gives us time to work on overhauling the systemic aspects of League, from the jungle to items to masteries. This year, when we think about what we want to improve about our game systems, the word that comes to mind is “adaptability”. We want to introduce new gameplay elements that cause every game to feel different, and force players to adapt to those differences. On the other hand, we want to give players the ability to make clear playstyle choices which have measurable gameplay differences.

Jungle
Let’s start with the jungle. We feel that the jungle has a lot more room to feel intent-driven, and less like a solvable system with a logical next step. Our overall goal is to make sure that junglers have more elements to interact with, and thus have to make choices about which ones are priorities.

Plants
When we originally gave camps Smite rewards, we wanted to allow players to decide how they used Smite to secure certain benefits. We think that system was a good start, but over time players broke into two groups: those who have basically “solved” Smiting, and those who haven’t. This makes the whole experience feel pretty deterministic and doesn’t allow for much expression of individual mastery. Moreover, tying that decision making to Smite makes players who take the PvP smite have to budget their smites a bit too much. If you’re setting up for a teamfight, you want to Smite raptors for vision control, the opposing ADC during a teamfight, and maybe dragon afterwards.
Enter Plants. We’re introducing interactive plants into the game and spawning them with some degree of variance. These plants should give junglers - and to some degree, other players - impactful decisions to make, without tying those choices to Smite.

Camps
Jungle optimization is an interesting skill, but right now one of the strongest routes is just going straight through the jungle in order. We want to introduce more variance between the camps, so players can have stronger preferences about which camps to prioritize, rather than merely clearing whatever is nearby and available. When it came down to it, that degree of variance was incompatible with our Smite rewards, which often established clear “best” and “worst” camps.

Protective Itemization
Aegis of the Legion has been a perennial struggle to balance around. Aura items are *strong*. After all, your team benefits up to five times as much from those stats as you do personally. On the other hand, it can be hard to notice the impact of an aura. As a result, auras have ended up overtuned to the point where they become mandatory. We want players to have itemization choices, and Aegis was simply blocking that goal.
On the other hand, Aegis of the Legion is one of the few items that allows you to make an ally harder to kill, a player fantasy we want to make sure to serve. While Aegis exists, most forms of protection will be overshadowed by the existence of its aura. Even if we made support items stronger to compensate, junglers would become the new Aegis purchasers (as has happened in past metas). So for the good of itemization as a whole, we’re killing its aura stats.
In its place, we’re creating several new protective items that are more distinct, allowing different supports to express different playstyles and goals. Instead of purchasing a generic protection item, we want supports to be able to look at a host of items and think “which one protects my ally in a way which aligns with my playstyle?”
We already have a few of those items. Mikael’s Crucible protects an ally from CC and Ardent Censer helps you keep an ally healed up. But we think there’s a lot we can do to sharpen those items’ identities, while creating new items to appeal to protective supports, whether they’re tanks, disruptors, or healers.

Masteries
Finally, there’s masteries. Our updated mastery system was aimed at making masteries meaningful to your playstyle. We wanted each player and champion to feel like there was a mastery at each level that appealed to their role and playstyle.
Part of that meant having multiple choices at each level of the tree. We shipped with a few holes in the tree, and we’re taking this opportunity to fill those holes in. However, there were also a few outliers we felt like we could take a crack at making more satisfying to use, as well as more specific in who wanted to take them. Overall, we want players to have masteries that make them feel “that’s what I want”, not “I guess this is optimal”.
We’ll be unveiling more details about these changes soon, so stay tuned for Preseason 2017!

drawkcaB

Overall, we want players to have masteries that make them feel “that’s what I want”, not “I guess this is optimal”.

If at first you don't succeed, try again, try again, try again, try again, try again...

I wasn't expecting it by any stretch, but I'm a bit disappointed there's no mention of physically changing the jungle. The current layout is a big factor regarding why the top tier champions in the role have less variance than others. When a new jungler finally breaks into the upper tiers and sees competitive play, it's either because they're flatly overpowered so their deficiencies are acceptable or they're a new champion (or new-ish for champions who became junglers after their reworks, Nidalee, Graves)

Newt

What an innovative player.
06a76b1abf0e8d167a7b6b4337fba2ef.jpg

drawkcaB

"I don't see what's so off about that jungle Ivern build. Athene's is odd but kinda of sort of justifiable I guess, by I don't know why Newt would say that the..."

keeps going and sees Skarner.

"...oh....oh my."

so plants are essentially doto runes?

I can't wait till I buy my Corrupting Potion, empty it out, and bottle ru-I mean plants. And then I can pop these ru-I mean plants later on to get a unique effect such as Gold, invisibility, clones, a haste up, or even regen.

Thanks league

zkylon

zkylewd
honestly i think the plant thing is a good idea because league needs more things to fight over in the map. i'm curious over plants having semi-random elements, i think that's pretty interesting if these smaller objectives keep popping up and you're now presented with some interesting choices and tradeoffs to make

i'm curious if they'll also change rift herald since it ended up being kind of lackluster

If so, what is the League equivalent of an 'S4 rune'.
idk what that is

I can't wait till I buy my Corrupting Potion, empty it out, and bottle ru-I mean plants. And then I can pop these ru-I mean plants later on to get a unique effect such as Gold, invisibility, clones, a haste up, or even regen.

Thanks league

again

idk what any of that is

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think Kindred is ok right now. Not terrible but nowhere where they used to be.

I feel like the kit needs more tuning. Riot obviously wanted to make them into a late-game carry, but even now they're much better early on.

Seems like we're getting relatively small mastery changes but big jungle changes.

I wonder if Locket will have the aegis aura. The text makes it sound like it won't. Maybe it will add 30 mr or something during the shield duration.

I think if they're going to retune Locket for AoE magic damage, they should just change the shield to a magic shield and adjust the numbers accordingly. Makes it useless vs AD teams.

As it stands, Locket shield is still a decent support pickup even if the enemy team isn't heavy on magic damage due to its stats + shield.

I want them to go crazier on the items like what they were doing with the Blackwater event back then.

Duress

I'm sorry! I'm not going to sit and deal with a game where everyone is arguing and insulting each other. You can report me, but I have a pretty consistent record of playing through.

Newt

Just had a game where we had an AP Ez mid that was 30 cs down against a Diana pre 6.

That went well.
Honestly, I just cringe when I see someone lock in Ez mid. Usually they're just shitty ADC mains that are just salty they didn't get their role.

Talents

Banned
Honestly, I just cringe when I see someone lock in Ez mid. Usually they're just shitty ADC mains that are just salty they didn't get their role.

Nah he was a mid main, but Ryze was banned so he had nothing else to play so he locked in Ezreal mid.

Ken

What other champs are like Annie where I can zzz my way through low elo

I also hope one day they redesign Annie to be older cause I hate her character but her kit is ez for me

Top Bottom