• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

Having 10 bans at the same time is just gonna remove the overpowered champions at the time from the game. I find this okay, but it could be better.

And what's going to happen is that the next 10 champions in line who are considered 'strong' will simply take the place of the banned ones

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
And what's going to happen is that the next 10 champions in line who are considered 'strong' will simply take the place of the banned ones

cool, maybe rito will finally take the time to balance something other than their handful of favorites

nah let's just put another useless nerf on nidalee and rework ryze again :^)

Ken

whew getting carried

14907639_10153733990221841_2399199209515195989_n.jpg

Hyunkeltt : pls ban zed
Smurf Me : lol thats not very nice
Hyunkeltt : u have lost all ur last games with zed :S

rip me

Isn't that kind of an issue in all games though? There's always going to be a select list of champions that are better than everybody else. It's like in shooters where a weapon is always going to be better than another weapon, or WoW where a select set of classes *cough mage* are always going to be better than the rest.

I got Star Guardian Jinx from a chest, but spent all my essence on another dinky skin. ;_;

How much you looking to spend on that kbbq? Get baekjeong, quarters, or parks. Yum yum

Heh costy any chance you know what the setup of the arena will look like? Will there be huge screens on each side? I'm trying to decide what tickets to buy..

hey dude, not entirely sure and even if I was I couldn't really say since they're doing some secret shit afaik but I would imagine it would be theatre in the round like at MSG, with screens on all sides

not 100% tho

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't think i had noticed before captain mf how huge mf's boobs are

7F1AB77CAB7D59172619A50D81E54648DEDDEA41

it's very distracting, she can barely walk carrying those things

this skin is also way more lame than its splash, i'm really bummed out... it looks sooo bad in comparison -__-

i think i'll go back to mad max mf

the best one now that they made her anime

yeah i think this is gonna be an issue regardless

you can't fix champ variety in competitive by just removing the top tier

it might help a bit since now ppl aren't like throwing everything for freaking nidalee but still, game needs to allow for new strategies and win conditions, and make those balanced before champion variety works

the game is too damn solvable, that's its main issue, and it might be impossible to fix without doing some hardcore changes worthy of a full lol 2 title, but in the meantime i wish they introduced new options in a greater scale than just new stuff that individual champions can do.

i mean, do both, but definitely throw a couple wrenches in the meta so that it's not so easy to figure out

And that's why staggering bans works instead of frontloading them.

It's not as if Riot has to copy Dota's picking phase 100%. They can find out what works best for them as long as staggering bans is a part of it.

zkylon

zkylewd
i really don't think staggered bans would do that much for league

there's very little you're conveying to the enemy team if you pick a champion so they can play around it

it's not a bad system in itself but league is not doto and i really wonder if it'd make much of a difference

even when there was like blind pick in lck teams still picked pretty much the same as they did in draft games, rushed for the ops and that's it

Newt

hey dude, not entirely sure and even if I was I couldn't really say since they're doing some secret shit afaik but I would imagine it would be theatre in the round like at MSG, with screens on all sides

not 100% tho
Reddit post

Rioter on NeoGAF 100% confirms world's setup...

Leezard

i really don't think staggered bans would do that much for league

there's very little you're conveying to the enemy team if you pick a champion so they can play around it

it's not a bad system in itself but league is not doto and i really wonder if it'd make much of a difference

even when there was like blind pick in lck teams still picked pretty much the same as they did in draft games, rushed for the ops and that's it

I think staggered bans could be helpful for competitive league since they have more of a purpose for their team comps and will likely identify what the enemy team is trying to do.

Solo queue comps are still gonna be solo queue comps though and staggered bans won't matter.

I think it also works better in Dota because of the more narrow hero design. Dota heroes tend to do one thing uniquely well (with some exceptions of course) and League champions - while becoming more unique - are more broadly good at things, and are therefore more interchangeable.

I don't see this changing too much to be honest.

Leezard

I think it also works better in Dota because of the more narrow hero design. Dota heroes tend to do one thing uniquely well (with some exceptions of course) and League champions - while becoming more unique - are more broadly good at things, and are therefore more interchangeable.

Yeah, that too. Staggered bans won't be the end all to fix champion diversity.

zkylon

zkylewd

this is the crux of it, each game requires its own solution that's tailor made for their champion design and their overall gameplay design

to think there's no need to "reinvent the wheel" is silly, while they probably shouldn't go crazy with it, they should try at least to find the proper wheel that fits league's overarching design

try and remember the latest competitive games, imagine how they'd play out with staggered bans. do you think they'd be very different? do you think variety would increase or do you think they'd just rush at picking the most op like usual?

the problem with pick variety in league is that unlike doto most of league's champions overlap with each other, and most of league's systems and classes can be quantified in ways that are relatively easy to pick out a "strongest pick" and that's about it.

there are no hard counterpicks in league (thankfully) but look at what happens when there are, actually, with karma being #1 support and then teams finding zyra as a counter and then mf as a counter to zyra. that's really interesting from both champ variety and pick and ban strategy, cos mf also requiers ashe to work properly to pull off the double ult combo, and now maybe teams will just pick alistar or something against mf, idk

but this feels more like a happy accident than a real product of league's design, and it's still just a tier list being run down that's mostly fun because mf support is so freaking silly

imo league champ variety will never be fixed without a bigger systems overhaul, big changes to itemization, map design and summoner spells. the thing about the strategies we know like poke+disengage, deathball, pick-off and teamfighting comps, is that often enough teams do like 3 of these at once

idk if that can't be fixed without limiting champion kits to something more similar to doto, and i don't think that's something any of us wants, so league should try and carve its own path and figure out where the extra layers of depth are gonna come from

captain mf splash is great tho.

It's my log in screen background.
the splash is gorgeous, it's just the in-game skin that looks really outdated i guess

i really wish league client had a 3d model viewer, i feel like i wouldn't have bought it if i knew it wasn't gonna be so great

Ken

the splash is gorgeous, it's just the in-game skin that looks really outdated i guess

i really wish league client had a 3d model viewer, i feel like i wouldn't have bought it if i knew it wasn't gonna be so great

don't they have the thingy on the website with the 3d model when they announce new skins? i'm sure they could also make it rotate.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think the discussion comes down to this for me personally: 10 bans or staggers bans and picks. Personally I think the latter is way more interesting as it dramatically changes how people approaches picks and bans. Whereas with 10 bans it just feels like putting on a bigger list and that's it. More qualitative than quantitative.

Ashhong

not 100% tho

Thanks for the leaked information! I'm sure it'll be good on all sides then

Thats a problem with champ designs then, innit.

When a champ like Viktor or Ekko is so dominant at what they do, then of course staggered bans wouldnt work. Because there is a homogenous design in Ritos early works that kinda ruined it. Their philosophy used to be(still is?) that if they created a character, then a player shouldnt be forced to earn a certain champion to counter that character. This is emblematic of the "champions arent available to everyone" and it was a real issue a couple of years ago when they released the majority of champions. Thats why ADCs used to be so homogenous, thats why champions tend to not be built around a nice. Its why you have aberrations like Ekko who can do almost everything perfectly, with little to no drawback. Its why Viktor is one of the strongest mages, because for a mage he does almost everything too well-AoE, single target damage, huge cc, and he can do it safely.

Now theyre trying to create niche champions, like Ivern, but the damage is already done. Theres too many "well-rounded" champions due to their previous philosophies, that niche champions end up being weaker because they are niche.

drawkcaB

Thats a problem with champ designs then, innit.

When a champ like Viktor or Ekko is so dominant at what they do, then of course staggered bans wouldnt work. Because there is a homogenous design in Ritos early works that kinda ruined it. Their philosophy used to be(still is?) that if they created a character, then a player shouldnt be forced to earn a certain champion to counter that character. This is emblematic of the "champions arent available to everyone" and it was a real issue a couple of years ago when they released the majority of champions. Thats why ADCs used to be so homogenous, thats why champions tend to not be built around a nice. Its why you have aberrations like Ekko who can do almost everything perfectly, with little to no drawback. Its why Viktor is one of the strongest mages, because for a mage he does almost everything too well-AoE, single target damage, huge cc, and he can do it safely.

Now theyre trying to create niche champions, like Ivern, but the damage is already done. Theres too many "well-rounded" champions due to their previous philosophies, that niche champions end up being weaker because they are niche.

I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment, but picking Ivern as an example isn't a good idea. It's not like using Ivern into his actual niche makes him strong. Ivern is weak because he's undertuned.

I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment, but picking Ivern as an example isn't a good idea. It's not like using Ivern into his actual niche makes him strong. Ivern is weak because he's undertuned.

Even if Ivern had the right numbers, he would still be a weak niche pick compared to Reksai or Lee. The only way I see Ivern being viable is overtuning his numbers and possibly lowering the timer on how long it takes to tame a jungle camp.

drawkcaB

Even if Ivern had the right numbers, he would still be a weak niche pick compared to Reksai or Lee. The only way I see Ivern being viable is overtuning his numbers and possibly lowering the timer on how long it takes to tame a jungle camp.

Nah, that's all fine now. He can get to level 4 faster than Nidalee and he's even faster in the S7 jungle on the PBE (all the changes favor him more than other junglers because he never used the jungle buffs to clear in the first place) and his health and mana cost buff on his passive went a long way to helping him out. Experienced Ivern players are starting to pick up his pattern of grove the camp->go do something->return and collect, the time to grove a camp is becoming a non-factor.

If Riot buffs his early game damage (most likely place to buff) then he'll be a strong pick. You get a champion with 85% (random un-quantifiable number, whatever) of the early game but with significantly better mid and late game in a competitive environment. Once Riot buffs him and pro and high elo players start putting lots of time into him he'll become a jungle mainstay.

Newt

Why can't you do easier bets Breezy? Say something like Talon is going to be garbage after his rework.

Edit: Okay, not stepping foot into that Pokemon thread anymore. I'm not getting myself permad.

Dekutulla

Hey, so, was the Riot Kayle promotion only for 5v5 games made during the period? I remember playing a match of ARAM on my craptop during the week so I could get it, but now that I have a computer that doesn't burn me alive when I run league I've noticed I don't have the skin.

Why can't you do easier bets Breezy? Say something like Talon is going to be garbage after his rework.

Edit: Okay, not stepping foot into that Pokemon thread anymore. I'm not getting myself permad.

that thread is one of those "ban waiting to happen threads" that are never worth venturing into except to see the size of the account graveyard

Newt

I really wanna go into it but every time I go into one of those threads I get banned for shit posting. Unlucky.
I feel like even some normal and rational posts were getting people banned in that thread.

Well anyways, not gonna discuss moderation, but yeah stay away from there lol.

that thread is one of those "ban waiting to happen threads" that are never worth venturing into except to see the size of the account graveyard

Unless youre really invested into the subject matter

Yeah its best to ignore those type of threads. Well that, and if youre gonna bait like Newt does lol

Ashhong

Hey, so, was the Riot Kayle promotion only for 5v5 games made during the period? I remember playing a match of ARAM on my craptop during the week so I could get it, but now that I have a computer that doesn't burn me alive when I run league I've noticed I don't have the skin.

ARAM games worked, even coop games. Maybe you played after the period? If not, contact Riot support. I did and they responded thoroughly

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Hrrm could someone invite me to euw neogaf club once it's up(TaileruKun).

Done. Might want to be careful when it comes to clicking Talents' chat links, keep that in mind.

QED:

EUW GAF is dead. The one time a conversation happened before clubs died it was about Vore...

But it's alright, I won't judge.

I've been playing on NA recently so that explains the lack of activity. No Dobe no life.

Talents

Banned
Man I wish there was an option where you were 100% guaranteed your primary role at the risk of like an hour queue time. I would totally pick that 9/10 times. I hate it that I get mid and win all the way to promos, then get ADC when in promos and just lose. pls

Top Bottom