• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just started playing this game in the past couple of days due to a friend's insistence.

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

What are some good resources for complete noobs?

Welcome to the community! Quite a few people responded last page, but I'm reposting for further exposure.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Wait for a fourth potion in the fountain -- is this a strategy I'm not familiar with? Most of the time the jungler would want me leashing for them...will waiting for a potion require top to leash instead?

I guess gold masteries could help get an extra potion but I wouldn't think that's a good idea for Katarina.
Securing your jungle and giving your jungler a strong start is more important. Waiting at the fountain for an extra health pot is usually a top lane thing.

brian!

getting a 4th potion usually assumes that you are helping by securing your jungle. This is not limited to getting a leash, but putting pressure on the enemy jungle before it spawns (if you are stealing, making him scared, getting vision for your jungler, etc.) Because this puts you out, you might as well recall and get the 4th potion. At the same time, none of this is really relevant for the types of games we are playing.

I mean, its not as if Kat does much in the beginning or can trade harass very well anyway, if you are dare-deviling for cs you're probably not going to do THAT much better with an extra pot.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the guide link. I read through it and am interested in adjusting some things accordingly such as runes and (tank?) masteries.

I do think it's a little odd that the author says they main Katarina yet they have only played 22 ranked games with her. Maybe they play a lot of normal games instead?

Ferrio

Banned
My cass getting a lot better, though fuck I still can't carry as her. She just gets blown up too hard. Need to work on my kiting.

Blizzard

Banned
Do a drawing. Riot usually gives you enough RP to buy whatever you need to buy.
I got a support reply when I did this saying that they're not allowed to do this anymore.

You can, however, compete in competitions on the Riot forums. One of my friends is an artist and I think she got a ton of RP from winning one or two of their contests.

inky

The best skin (corporate Mundo) is also the most expensive T.T

I also like Frost Annie, Hextech Galio and some others, but they are not worth it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Or you could just buy some more RP, because Riot has you by the balls and you're going to pay for more champions eventually anyway.

Might as well save yourself the hassle in the long run.

dimb

That's unrelated to the fact that point systems are frustrating and anti-customer.
I don't really see it being that big of an issue with the large number of increments you can buy points in starting at $5.00. The only piece of LoL that feels anti-consumer to me is the Rune Page system.

I don't really see it being that big of an issue with the large number of increments you can buy points in starting at $5.00. The only piece of LoL that feels anti-consumer to me is the Rune Page system.

It is an issue though and it is anti-consumer. It doesn't let you extricate yourself from the system when you want with your money spent wholly--the whole thing is predicated on the opposite of that.

I can understand not having a problem with it, or just dealing with it--that's fine and your prerogative. But it doesn't mean that the system itself isn't built on ensuring that you can't ever get a clean break.

garath

It is an issue though and it is anti-consumer. It doesn't let you extricate yourself from the system when you want with your money spent wholly--the whole thing is predicated on the opposite of that.

I can understand not having a problem with it, or just dealing with it--that's fine and your prerogative. But it doesn't mean that the system itself isn't built on ensuring that you can't ever get a clean break.

As much as I love LoL, I agree completely. It's a nice tactic to get people coming back for more though. i.e. Microsoft points.

Buying champions with RP when they're not on sale is dumb.

Most of the time I'd agree with you. However, I personally have more money than time to play LoL. If I want a champ that I felt pretty good with on a free week to flesh out my role capacity (i.e. I'm lacking in the AD champs and really like Graves and Miss fortune), I'd consider buying one full RP.

That said, I usually only grab champs on sale.

I'll probably never spend IP on champs again unless it's 1300 or less. All my IP goes toward runes.

Most of the time I'd agree with you. However, I personally have more money than time to play LoL. If I want a champ that I felt pretty good with on a free week to flesh out my role capacity (i.e. I'm lacking in the AD champs and really like Graves and Miss fortune), I'd consider buying one full RP.

That said, I usually only grab champs on sale.

I'll probably never spend IP on champs again unless it's 1300 or less. All my IP goes toward runes.

I'm really with you on this point, and that's a lot of my frustration. There are some champs I just want, and I would freely hand Riot money (i.e. buying full price champs) if they let me do it EXACTLY via an in-app-purchase type system, but the points are too frustrating to get rid of exactly and it is preventing me from being more invested in the game.

I don't have any problems spending money on games, I do have problems with systems that try to trick me out of my money.

garath

Selling rune page is the worst crime in riot system, everything else is understandable imo.
its f2p for a reason

Haha. I'd agree. Riot may even agree at this point but they can't change it now. Unless they want to refund a LOT of money.

I've been tempted to buy that 7 page set but really if I'm not playing ranked yet, no need. I do ok with 2 for now - one AP, one AD.

Boken

Banned
I'm really with you on this point, and that's a lot of my frustration. There are some champs I just want, and I would freely hand Riot money (i.e. buying full price champs) if they let me do it EXACTLY via an in-app-purchase type system, but the points are too frustrating to get rid of exactly and it is preventing me from being more invested in the game.

I don't have any problems spending money on games, I do have problems with systems that try to trick me out of my money.
I understand why you're taking a stand, but in the end it's just a personal quest. You're going to buy RP in future, so the remainder doesn't exactly matter does it?

Anyway, myself, the only skin I bought full price is Frost Queen Janna.

Fucking worth it

How do you guys like (or play) Alistar?
I got him as the free youtube subscribe thing and have only used him a couple times with some mixed results.
I understand why you're taking a stand, but in the end it's just a personal quest. You're going to buy RP in future, so the remainder doesn't exactly matter does it?
I'm not as irrationally irritated as I may sound. It just bugs me and is actually preventing me from spending more money. I have Dota 2 for now and instead of playing more LoL when I get bored of my owned champs, I've been jumping back over there. If I could, I'd just buy Nocturne and spend a few days dicking around as him, then I'd buy somebody else full price and do the same. But since I feel like I'm getting shafted, I'm just holding out. It's not a huge deal though--just something I dislike about games.

Boken

Banned
Alistar is the scariest jungler known to man

He's also pretty good bot lane (support) too, he can use either a sustain or burst build. Whichever, he brings a lot of CC to bot lane so goes well with high burst champions!

Blizzard

Banned
How do you guys like (or play) Alistar?

I got him as the free youtube subscribe thing and have only used him a couple times with some mixed results.
He's actually probably my favorite support and he can presumably jungle too, though as a ganker rather than a tryndamere style damage carry. It's fun to punch people around the battlefield, and I tend to forget how tanky he gets with his ult and some defensive items. One main thing is to be careful not to waste mana attempting the dash-knockup combo unless you're pretty sure you can land it. Ideally you probably want to knockup someone and then punch them back into your team (assuming your team isn't low).

Is jungling something you can do as a beginner (mind you, I'm only playing in bot games still)? I don't have any runes and I'm only level 12. Seems to be super intensely precise from all the guides I see...

Achtius

He's actually probably my favorite support and he can presumably jungle too, though as a ganker rather than a tryndamere style damage carry. It's fun to punch people around the battlefield, and I tend to forget how tanky he gets with his ult and some defensive items. One main thing is to be careful not to waste mana attempting the dash-knockup combo unless you're pretty sure you can land it. Ideally you probably want to knockup someone and then punch them back into your team (assuming your team isn't low).

sona am sad :(

I think Alister is hard to play, you gotta time his CC right to have the maximum effectiveness (which i can't) so I stick to easy mode Sona.

dimb

Is jungling something you can do as a beginner (mind you, I'm only playing in bot games still)? I don't have any runes and I'm only level 12. Seems to be super intensely precise from all the guides I see...
Easier to do with the new jungle, especially if you take someone like Warwick or Fiddlesticks. You can try out running through it in a custom game with just yourself in it to get a feel for farming it. Harder thing at lower levels is that your solo lane vs. two won't always hold their lane well, and you probably won't get a decent leash.

inky

Yeah, with some specific junglers like Warwick/Nunu who have big sustain or people who clear the jungle fast like Udyr it's easy even at low levels. Other guys really need proper runes and masteries not because you'll die in the jungle, but because it'll take you a lot more time to clear it so you'll be behind all game (and you need good ganks too, which means trusting the other guy to know what to do). Don't be scared to try it especially on bot games, although you'll need good leashes and most people at that level don't know how to do it properly.

Easier to do with the new jungle, especially if you take someone like Warwick of Fiddlesticks. You can try out running through it in a custom game with just yourself in it to get a feel for farming it. Harder thing at lower levels is that your solo lane vs. two won't always hold their lane well, and you probably won't get a decent leash.
istock_000008760738xsmall-dog-with-leash-in-mouth.jpg

What is leash?

garath

It wasn't until around level 17-18 that jungling started to be more common. sub-15 jungling can hurt more than help. The 1v2 lane really suffers and a newer jungler struggles to make an significant impact to make up for the lane domination.

dimb

Hrm... So if I play with a friend who I believe to be competent, have them take top and leash my Blue, then I can theoretically do this.
Sure. Leashes from mid lane are usually better. You can jungle fine without a leash on certain champions, but if you have a stronger start it makes early ganks much easier. Also, if you're the only jungler in the game at low levels take advantage of that and steal the buffs on the enemy side too.

Sure. Leashes from mid lane are usually better. You can jungle fine without a leash on certain champions, but if you have a stronger start it makes early ganks much easier. Also, if you're the only jungler in the game at low levels take advantage of that and steal the buffs on the enemy side too.

Cool, I think I'm just going to try it out. I mean, it's really tough to lose on Beginner, so I don't think I'd be doing my team a disservice.

Boken

Banned

Jungling is more difficult at lower levels, probably even moreso for Alistar. Test him as a support first. He's one of the harder supports to play because he requires a lot of precision (when to move forward, when to use your skills, which order etc).

You could try jungling with Warwick first. Very safe. As long as you can trust your top laner to 2v1, your ganks (at least after level 6) are strong.

RE: Jungle Alistar. He's so scary because he can headbutt his victim into the wall, then follow up with a pulverize just before they regain control. Its about 2.5s of near instant speed cc! Gross.

brian!

I get:
boots pots to start
gp/5 (philo hog) (wards if I am able to coordinate counter junglings/there is a crucial lane that is too dumb to ward for themselves)
sheen -> shurelias, move fast boots if I'm feelin it
finish trinity, get wardens first if necesary, finish randuins if necesary
if i want to lol punch people's lights out, I get a youmuus

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm glad nobody in here defends Riot for their Free-2-Play system.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm glad nobody in here defends Riot for their Free-2-Play system.

I will. At first when I started the game I was pretty pissed off, but now meh. I think it's a rather nice take on the model. It's not perfect (they shouldn't sell rune pages). But for the most part it works really well, and the only RP exclusive things are skins.

JesseZao

Literally the only thing I have a problem with is selling rune pages for RP.

I've always thought this was the designed bottleneck to get people to pump money in. It was the reason I first bought RP, as the "quality of life" gained by having many runepages is huge.

It doesn't seem to make sense why you can change masteries on the fly, but not runes, but the gamer lives with it and justifies buying rune pages as a way to show support and make their gameplay more enjoyable. Other than the rune page bundle, I spend the rest on champs on sale. Only bought one skin, Rumble in the Jungle, so far.

inky

Literally the only thing I have a problem with is selling rune pages for RP.

I don't know, the points system is pretty shady as well like others have mentioned. I mean, prices sometimes seem almost random, there is an item that costs 1846 RP. I currently have 358 RP. Like, WTF are you going to do with the remaining 4/6/8 RP other than buy the same item again and again if you want to take full advantage of your points (it's not like they are free). Might as well round it up at that point.

JesseZao

I don't know, the points system is pretty shady as well like others have mentioned. I mean, prices sometimes seem almost random, there is an item that costs 1846 RPs. Like, WTF are you going to do with the remaining 4 RP other than buy the same item again and again. Might as well round it up.

Think of those extra RP as subliminal marketing bits. Sure you bought 1380 RP for ten bucks, but you really only bought enough for one full priced champion, or 975 RP. The extra is like an unused coupon just sitting on your account taunting you. By inflating the amount you get, it feels like you're getting more, but that extra stuff is just to make you keep spending.

(I'm not saying I like it, but it's very calculated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom