• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boken

Banned
If you use the staggered ban system - (ban again after 2 picks), it avoids the denial ban style and allows people to ban against comps, which is definitely a legitimate way to ban.

Volimar

I'm glad to hear that. Can you specify (or even allowed to talk about) on whether or not you've considered Dota- style draft mode? (picks in between bans and such)

Please specify/elaborate.

I'm not enthusiastic about the debate, it's not that big a deal to me, but:

I'd hate to be a pro and constantly not be able to play my favorite champ in tourneys. With 3 bans on each team, a great character will often get their best champ blocked. With more bans they might not be able to play any of their favorites. I agree with the banning the OP/must pick/must ban characters but more often than not it's just people banning a certain champ because they don't want to deal with the opponent using their favorite/best champ. Personally, I'd rather see matches between opponents at their best, using their best champs. It just makes for a more entertaining match...

But like I said, I don't really have a dog in this fight.

If you use the staggered ban system - (ban again after 2 picks), it avoids the denial ban style and allows people to ban against comps, which is definitely a legitimate way to ban.

I would prefer this.

Feature

Banned
His argument is flawed in my oppinion because it would be much better to have the pro's master more champions which would then create a whole new pool of reason 2 champions (Reason 2: To ban your opponent's best player's signature champion (e.g. banning sivir vs doublelift in the NA regionals), which then will allow for more diversity in the banning and picking department as the other team will have to choose which one of the other teams best champs to ban. Now it's easy because everyone knows froggen is best with anivia.

Inskipp

I'd hate to be a pro and constantly not be able to play my favorite champ in tourneys.
That's pretty much what banning is partially meant for. It's supposed to force people to diversify their personal rosters, instead of just relying on one or two champs.

You could argue that the low amount of bans is partially why we don't see more variety from individual players.
With 3 bans on each team, a great character will often get their best champ blocked. With more bans they might not be able to play any of their favorites.
I agree, simply increasing the amount of bans is not the best move, as it will allow teams to potentially neuter entire team compositions. This is why I'm advocating the addition of a "staggered" ban- system, for reasons that Boken specified.
People will just use the extra bans for Master Yi and Tryndamere in solo queue.
I recall someone from Reddit suggesting that soloq could retain the 3- ban system, while the "staggered" ban- system could be introduced in Tournament draft/ranked 5v5's, which is an interesting idea in itself.

Q8D3vil

i'd ban yi and tryndamere to prevent my team mate from taking them.
who am i kidding, i'd ban jax and gragas every fucking time

scy

This, pretty much. I'd rather this than just more bans as it allows for more decision making during the picks. What are the most important bans that you need out before someone can pick? This raises the stakes of the early picks and makes the later ones more reactive.

We'll see, I guess.

In low ELO, Blue Golem is a threat.

I'm looking forward to Syndra and pulling Blue Golem to mid lane.

Bonus gold from minions is extremely important in Dominion. It's 120g per wave at the start, that's HUGE.

Honestly, people not killing minion waves (and not aiming for the last hits) is pretty much how you pick out the bad players in Dominion.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=28994941#post28994941 said:
Zileas, as you add champions, you must have more bans, right?
We don't really agree with this -- we feel the minimum bans are related to the number of S tier champions, which can come from new releases, but honestly, is something we are getting better at managing with time. It's very conceivable we could have 50% more champions but have half the S tier champions.
I understand what he's saying, but that doesn't add up—if they ever thought six was a good idea, and then they add champions, that number has to eventually increase. And not just "as they add", it's more that they started with 40 and there's 100 now. All three reasons he mentioned are affected by adding champions, and I'm not sure how valid it is to balance the game around pros playing their favourites.

I don't really have an opinion on it, that just doesn't add up.

XeroSauce

It's nice to see that they acknowledge that they have semi-broken champions and their ranked games will suffer for it.

And if you are really worried about players not being able to play their favorites..they should get more favorites, that's the whole point of bans. Why have bans at all then? Mediocre number of bans just to say you have them? Just to protect the fact that Shen is banned in every game and that's why you don't need to touch him?

Jeeze.

Wrekt

I'd rather see matches between opponents at their best, using their best champs. It just makes for a more entertaining match...

I'm for more bans because I'm sick of seeing the same handful of champs in every pro game. But then again, I don't see Graves and Corki getting banned even with extra bans. So I guess it really doesn't matter.

h2gZh.png

Dat Garen. One of those deaths was at their Nexus fountain.

Dai Kaiju

I have a pretty standard rune setup for my Jarvan. Flat armor seals, scaling MR glyphs, and flat armor pen marks. Any suggestions for the quints though? I was thinking AD, movement speed, or health regen. I'm still learning this game and determined to stop sucking.

Why is it that every thread involving league and dota turn into a shitstorm

what the fuck is wrong with people

--

it's like,

1-2 good posts

shit
shit
shit
shit
massive shit
ultra wtf shit

good post

shit
shit
shit

decent post

shit
shit

scy

If it's the thread that I think it is, it's gotten a bit better once the kneejerk "LULZ RIOT WORST COMPANY EVER" posts stopped. Or, rather, stopped being as common.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's because I'm one of the few people on GAF who's played hundreds of hours of both games.

::smugface::

garath

I run it on leona/nunu :D

That'll be tempting to run it on leona.

I use it on Kat/Diana (use movespeed masteries with her too)/Ahri (lol)/Kassadin

Pretty much any lane I'll be autoattacking melee vs a ranged champ. Except Ahri. I just like having a fast Ahri.

Everyone wants their game to be the best. Not many people can dedicate that many hours to both games (Haly an obvious exception lol). They'll end up with a preference and defend that preference to the death via constructive arguments or massive trolling.

I played both for 20+ hours and LoL is the one that stuck. It was more approachable while still offering good reward for applying yourself. I love games you can continuously improve yourself.

Ferrio

Banned
My opinion is that Flash should be removed.

I'm still very bitter towards Shurelia for blocking the decision.

The game would be a totally different beast if they did. TANKY DPS would rule the skies. I think so much has been balanced around flash, that if they did remove it there'd be huge balance issues for awhile. Not arguing against it's removal, but they're going to have to do it very carefully.

The game would be a totally different beast if they did.

And wouldn't that be so exciting?

Can you imagine SR without flash, all the crazy shit?

It would be fantastic.

I think so much has been balanced around flash, that if they did remove it there'd be huge balance issues for awhile.

Spot on. I remember Alistar being one of the biggest counter arguments to Zileas when he talked about removing flash.

But truth be told, I'd be okay with the huge balance issues for a while because I know it's in a step towards the right (haha subjectivity!) direction.

Nome

--

it's like,

1-2 good posts

shit
shit
shit
shit
massive shit
ultra wtf shit

good post

shit
shit
shit

decent post

shit
shit
Two reasons.
1. There's a lot of leftover animosity towards Pendragon. I don't think they believe most of what he says either (even though it's all true, plus some).
2. They've always held spite towards other games in the genre. We saw it with HoN too, even during closed beta when the games were very similar mechanically (so there's no "this game is easier" argument, or even much eSports competition).

It doesn't help that there's very high profile people in the Dota community constantly making unreciprocated pot shots at League (2GD and Tobi in particular).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
And wouldn't that be so exciting?

Can you imagine SR without flash, all the crazy shit?

It would be fantastic.
Watching paint dry would be more entertaining than LoL without Flash and no other changes.

Remember how awful Fiddlesticks was in beta? He was so bad they had to give his ult built-in flash be worthwhile.

falastini

You know the community is bad when you legitimately compliment somebody and they take it as a sarcastic insult. You can't even be nice in this game.

Watching paint dry would be more entertaining than LoL without Flash and no other changes.

Remember how awful Fiddlesticks was in beta? He was so bad they had to give his ult built-in flash be worthwhile.

Agreed, there should be other changes that coincide with the removal.

That being said, flash removal is that very important first step -- followed by Akali killing you 8 times.

Solune

boken gonna boken

if only lux had cooler skins to buy
You'd buy Scarf Lux.
The day I can pay money for Scarf Lux is the day I'll buy RP for the first time...
!
You know the community is bad when you legitimately compliment somebody and they take it as a sarcastic insult. You can't even be nice in this game.

Alot of communities are insular though, FPS , FGC, DotA. What I've seen in LoL doesn't come close what I've experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom