• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT5| Premade Bot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opiate

Further, I think people overestimate how rigid Challenger players are about the meta. For example, I faced a lot of flack when choosing champions like Nunu for bot lane or Caitlyn for top. Any loss would instantly be blamed on my sub-optimal champion choices.

Once you reach high elo, in my opinion, things got a lot more relaxed. You could choose less optimal champions and everyone was fine with it.

Tizoc

Oh and for the longest time whn someone says 'bot' I thought it meant bot as in...bot or ya know ModBot.
Only recently have I figured out it means Bottom Lane =V

It just depends on your interest in the game. I absolutely hate farming lanes and don't care a great deal about perfect team composition; however, I have a strong preference for team fights that are highly demanding on mechanics and positioning. As such, Dominion is great for me.
My experience in Dominion overall was basically "What if chasing Singed was a game mode".

99.99% chance it was due to me not understanding what I was supposed to do, but the initial impression is so bad that I don't think I'll ever try.

Opiate

My experience in Dominion overall was basically "What if chasing Singed was a game mode".

99.99% chance it was due to me not understanding what I was supposed to do, but the initial impression is so bad that I don't think I'll ever try.

Well if you ever change your mind, I'm happy to help newcomers. I can smurf to avoid getting you placed against veteran players.

Further, I think people overestimate how rigid Challenger players are about the meta. For example, I faced a lot of flack when choosing champions like Nunu for bot lane or Caitlyn for top. Any loss would instantly be blamed on my sub-optimal champion choices.

Once you reach high elo, in my opinion, things got a lot more relaxed. You could choose less optimal champions and everyone was fine with it.

I'd imagine so. It's assumed that if you've picked someone at that level, it's because you know what the hell you're doing. Assumptions that aren't always good in lower elo's. In this game:

pc6r.jpg

Someone actually had the nerve to say to me, "if you can't beat Mundo in lane, why take top? Why Jayce?" Never mind that Udyr sat top for literally 1.5 minutes in a bush waiting to get a successful gank on me where I didn't receive any ganks from my jungler at all. Or that I only died once and outfarmed Mundo by about 30%. Forget that I shit on their team. With my superior farm (leading the game), items, and kills he someone still had the nerve to say that. Of course, I carry him hard and he has nothing to say. Because that's how it is: talk shit and when corrected offer no apology.

And in this one:

il38.jpg

I asked for a gank from the jungler (quite nicely I may add), and he quips, "if you wanted a gank, you shouldn't have picked Jayce." lolwhat? And he proceeds to simply ignore the lane and complain the entire game, despite me carrying the team pretty hard, taking the most damage, and dealing the most damage in the game. A game where our solo top was outfarmed by the support.

I guess when you're stuck in low elo for a long time, you just get bitter. I suppose if I put in 3,000 matches and was still low, I'd be bitter too.

Blizzard

Banned
I forgot there was no dominion ranked. But yeah, like several people I never ever play dominion since I like ARAM's linear back and forth progression better than the frantic circular run-around that seems to happen when I play dominion.

Opiate

An alternative explanation would be that their bitter, narrow minded view of what players are "supposed" to do and what champions you are "supposed" to play actually restricts success. That is, you are suggesting their bitterness is caused by constantly being low elo; I'm suggesting that constantly being low elo is caused by bitterness.

Opiate

I forgot there was no dominion ranked. But yeah, like several people I never ever play dominion since I like ARAM's linear back and forth progression better than the frantic circular run-around that seems to happen when I play dominion.

Totally understandable. I just come from a background of Natural Selection and Team Fortress Classic, and Quake, so a faster paced game is something I actually prefer.

garath

There is some reality in what a pick brings to the table, though low elo players (myself included) don't always recognize that.

I had a Nidalee mid on my team once vs a Kennen. I was a pantheon jungle so I have SOME cc. She kept dying to the Kennen 1v1 and kept the lane pushed up pretty far. She started to complain that I wasn't ganking her lane. I politely let her know that it is very difficult to gank for a nidalee, especially against a Kennen. Her retort was that "You should at least try" followed by a bunch of abuse. I don't think she quite realized that I was doing with my time (ganking bot successfully and getting dragon after dragon) was infinitely more efficient than attempting to gank a Nidalee vs kennen when she was constantly engaging 1v1.

Needless to say I saw a gank opportunity a couple times and got 2 successful ganks off. She then browbeat me with a bunch of "see, %*&@#$". Sigh.

Higher elo appears to be MUCH more flexible and realistic about the flow of the game.

Newt

I'd imagine so. It's assumed that if you've picked someone at that level, it's because you know what the hell you're doing. Assumptions that aren't always good in lower elo's. In this game:

pc6r.jpg

Someone actually had the nerve to say to me, "if you can't beat Mundo in lane, why take top? Why Jayce?" Never mind that Udyr sat top for literally 1.5 minutes in a bush waiting to get a successful gank on me where I didn't receive any ganks from my jungler at all. Or that I only died once and outfarmed Mundo by about 30%. Forget that I shit on their team. With my superior farm (leading the game), items, and kills he someone still had the nerve to say that. Of course, I carry him hard and he has nothing to say. Because that's how it is: talk shit and when corrected offer no apology.

And in this one:

il38.jpg

I asked for a gank from the jungler (quite nicely I may add), and he quips, "if you wanted a gank, you shouldn't have picked Jayce." lolwhat? And he proceeds to simply ignore the lane and complain the entire game, despite me carrying the team pretty hard, taking the most damage, and dealing the most damage in the game. A game where our solo top was outfarmed by the support.

I guess when you're stuck in low elo for a long time, you just get bitter. I suppose if I put in 3,000 matches and was still low, I'd be bitter too.
To be fair, If I saw I Jayce on my team, I would probably instantly dodge. I'm not bitter or anything, but I don't feel like playing with low tier champions. Not going to risk a 50 minute game when I can lose 3lp. If my mmr remains the same, it makes no difference to me. I'm fine with people making unorthodox picks like Quinn and Poppy, but I'm not going to deal with champions like TF or Jayce, that were once strong, but just got gutted. Of course I look at lolking first though to give the person the benefit of the doubt, but if they only have like 1 or 2 games, I'm dodging.

Tizoc

OK wow
just
wow
Played a gam but 2 player were not responding, meaning they couldn't play at al.
That left me and 2 other players.
I kept dieing A LOT, but I persisted. Eventually all enemy turrets were destroyed, and we all ganged up on the mid lane on occasion
Once we've destroyed their 1st inhibitor...THEY SURRENDED.
WTF they could've destroyed us with ease if they just sent one to our base's top and bottom but nope they saw all 3 of us in their base and they called it quits.
Lamest win ever.

To be fair, If I saw I Jayce on my team, I would probably instantly dodge. I'm not bitter or anything, but I don't feel like playing with low tier champions. Not going to risk a 50 minute game when I can lose 3lp. If my mmr remains the same, it makes no difference to me. I'm fine with people making unorthodox picks like Quinn and Poppy, but I'm not going to deal with champions like TF or Jayce, that were once strong, but just got gutted. Of course I look at lolking first though to give the person the benefit of the doubt, but if they only have like 1 or 2 games, I'm dodging.

I'm moderately offended that you'd put TF in the same sentence with Jayce.

Burt

pc6r.jpg

Had a similar thing happen to me the other day. Took a Teemo top after the enemy took Mundo, but I took exhaust instead of ignite because I was just going to rush Morellonomicon for him anyway. Bot lane Thresh bitches me out all through champ select and the first fifteen minutes of the game. I end up 1/2/1 in lane (mostly because I got 4 man ganked once) with my kill coming on pre-6 Mundo precisely because he couldn't escape while exhausted, and another assist coming on a good gank/Mundo being stupid enough to try and escape through shroomed up bushes. Mundo ends lane 3/2/0 because he got a roam kill on an overextended mid who missed a ping I made. I end up ahead of Mundo in farm, and assuming that we're even in gold.

Meanwhile, bot goes 0/10 in lane. By the time I get to team fights, the enemy Twitch is 15/2. And then what happens? Blind exhaust blind no more Twitch, that's what. Thresh still bitching as he hooks a "fed Mundo". Shroom screen on baron at 50 minutes won us the game.

I know that people in here are going to get on me for not taking ignite too, but I wasn't even trying to win lane. With Teemo, any top that can go pure beef is eventually going to get big enough to jump in and tear him up regardless of how you do. Dominating lane isn't much of an option in those match ups. I was just trying to survive lane, get my farm, and be ready to blow squishies up later, which is exactly what happened. Exhaust ended up being incredibly more valuable than ignite, especially because mid and support ran ignite themselves.

I hate bossy players.

Nev

Banned

There is a rule that never fails for me: when you see someone pick a rare champion there is a 30% chance he's a good player who totally knows that champion. Then there's the 70% chance of him being a fucking terrible player and the reason you will lose. If it's Teemo, this last percentage goes up to 90%.

"Low tier champions" is bronze/twitch chat troll/metasheeps mentality though. Can't wait to wreck as AP Kog, Viktor, Galio and mid Sivir this season.

Newt

There is a rule that never fails for me: when you see someone pick a rare champion there is a 30% chance he's a good player who totally knows that champion. Then there's the 70% chance of him being a fucking terrible player and the reason you will lose. If it's Teemo, this last percentage goes up to 90%.

"Low tier champions" is bronze/twitch chat troll/metasheeps mentality though. Can't wait to wreck as AP Kog, Viktor and Galio this season.
There's high tier champions, and low tier champions. Not all champions can be strong at a given time. You need to accept that Nev.

Moodmon

Neo Member
Finally finally finally reached level 30. I'd celebrate but I'd be afraid of surprise party Fiddle popping out of a cupboard. Been trying normal draft games to get a swing of things. Seem to be getting matched against players of my level more or less, but also getting a vast spike in toxicity from others.

So...do this for another hundred or so games before ranked, right?

Burt

"Low tier champions" is bronze/twitch chat troll/metasheeps mentality though. Can't wait to wreck as AP Kog, Viktor, Galio and mid Sivir this season.
ioggc0zzp1N9z.gif

Seriously though, the beauty of Teemo is that no matter how lane turns out you can ALWAYS turn the tide of the game. Even if you go 0/10 top you can still easily get more than enough damage to take out (or at least scare off) an ADC and effectively screen objectives and towers with some painful shrooms. It feels even better when you're doing poorly actually, because kamikazeeing the fed enemy carry and still being able to impact the game with shrooms after you die is an awesome trade. Not that I recommend doing that, but there it is.

Edwardo

Finally finally finally reached level 30. I'd celebrate but I'd be afraid of surprise party Fiddle popping out of a cupboard. Been trying normal draft games to get a swing of things. Seem to be getting matched against players of my level more or less, but also getting a vast spike in toxicity from others.

So...do this for another hundred or so games before ranked, right?

Id say get comfortable with a couple champs in each role, then jump right in.

Nekofrog

Banned
Nah, they're all strong. Then there is Kassadin tier, but a low tier doesn't exist, just that broken tier.

Oh, Kassadin tier.

Such a god awful trap that champion is. "OH HE'S AVAILABLE MUST PICK HIM REGARDLESS OF THE FACT THAT I SUCK WITH HIM MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh shit we lost"

drawkcaB

feels like a bad idea not to wait another week or something to release the patch since a dorans shield nerf will noticeably change like all lanes for good

You expected too much from Riot. Don't you see? It's actually your fault.

Opiate said:

Most likely those players have seen those uncommon picks before by virtue of having played more matches. I'd never would think Nunu bot in dominion would work well either until I actually saw it in action (spoiler: works damn well).

Newt said:

My personal motto is to dodge games where there's just too much weird shit. Queued up a blind normal yesterday and Soraka mid, Taric top, and Mordekaiser jungle lock in almost immediately. Soraka mid or Taric top I can play with. With blind being what is they may even stumble into favorable match-ups. But those picks with a Mordekaiser jungle? Nah son, nah. I'm out.

Blizzard

Banned
The only Jayce I remember seeing recently was a bad experience, but I think that may have been more to this weird sequence:

1. Jayce brags in chat, oh, that (Mundo or whoever) tried to counter him, but the joke is on HIM, I build pure tank!

2. 20-30 minutes in...Jayce's single tank item was merc treads, if I recall correctly, and he had a couple of arpen items. I beileve he also ignored big minion waves top even after his tower fell and came mid to kill minions.

It's one thing to brag in chat (I think it's usually a horrible sign of various things), and one thing to do badly, but quite another to literally say you will build pure tank and then build pure AD instead half the game.

I think I'm also almost okay if people do horribly in lane, or have bad games, as long as they don't start screaming in chat. That takes what little remaining fun might be had out of it.

Thatoneguy

Neo Member
An alternative explanation would be that their bitter, narrow minded view of what players are "supposed" to do and what champions you are "supposed" to play actually restricts success. That is, you are suggesting their bitterness is caused by constantly being low elo; I'm suggesting that constantly being low elo is caused by bitterness.

I'd agree with your assessment. Last year I was myself, a wise ass, in solo que. It got some people to laugh, but probably wasn't the most conducive to the team environment.

This year I am my team's biggest cheerleader, even if I am swearing and face palming behind the scenes. I became even more "rah-rah go team" after placements and find myself rising fairly quickly. I haven't lost more than two games in a row, and have only done that once.

It has led to some impressive come from behind wins, getting carried in a few games, and absolute stomps in others.

Azulsky

Closed-mindedness absolutely closes doors to victory.

drawkcaB

Ah man, I didn't notice that they nerfed new Skarner while he was in the PBE. That kit doesn't look so hot now. I'll have to try him out, but blech.

Leezard

Indeed, I've noticed the same thing during my ranked games in Summoners Rift. Once I started reaching the higher levels of play, people were definitely more relaxed about more unusual picks and compositions.

People often seem to think that a certain subset of champions are the only strong ones, and all others are weak, instead of thinking of the reasons that the current champions are strong and the reasons why other unpopular champions might be useful. Being narrow minded sure does make it more difficult to learn and improve.

I played with a guy who exclusively plays Lulu adc (as in, he has 200 games with Lulu and 1 or 2 with a single other champion) in solo queue, and he is currently Diamond 1. He is a cool dude.

Ferrio

Banned
Another reason it might be more relaxed is because once you've placed that high in the elo, the others players have to assume you got here for a reason, kinda a built in trust.

DeadNames

Banned
Dreams, why do you get zehpyr on jayce?

Also I love jayce. Games go on longer = more time to stack baby. I think I can carry my elo with him as long as I dont go against shyvana/my team feeds.

Fuzzery

Ignore the haters, acquire elo.

You wouldn't believe how many people complain about akali jungle, but I just ignore them lol

Or when I take support ziggs for a roll, nonstop whining. I'm something like 8-2 with him though in ranked

Blizzard

Banned
From Gold onwards people stop being so nitpicky about picks.

I miss that ELO :( People givig me weird looks when I pick Karma.
I've been shocked in bronze/silver that I got to play Karma mid or top for a couple of games. One game I had lots of jungler help so I think I either won top or held it and did well in teamfights. Another game I did decently mid with her.

But normally, bronze/silver is the epitome of the team killers:
1. People raging purely about champions ("you didn't ban champ A" or "you picked worthless champ B") before the game even starts
2. People raging about not getting roles before the game even starts
3. People saying "this game is over" and trying to get everyone to give up and surrender starting 8-10 minutes into a game.
4. People going AFK, sometimes 2 at a time, with questionable consequences. I asked earlier in the thread if anyone had heard of people being banned for this in the last couple of months and saw no responses. I mean it PROBABLY happens but I guess no one would hear easily, and if leaverbuster doesn't catch them because they keep moving the mouse in spawn, I guess it's totally up to the tribunal -> Riot connection?
5. The opposite of the diamond situation described, with "trust", no one trust anyone but themselves. Since naturally they are the only good player, and everyone else is horrible, they don't trust others to go mid (or any other role). Since LoL tragically does not feature a 1v1 mode again, they are left at the mercy of the "kids" or "noobs" or "baddies" or "trolls" or "*racist/homophobic slur here*"
6. Perhaps the most gameplay-related of the list, people refusing to wait for each other, form Voltron, and move forwards as a group. The craziest of these are the ones I mentioned where you may have two inhibitors down (from moving as a group to kill them)...and then for the next 5+ minutes, they will REFUSE to ever go for the remaining inhibitor or nexus with the team, instead killing jungle wraiths or recalling every time the team is almost formed or wandering the map to ward alone.

Achtius

If it is rank I would give you a weird look if you puck karma, but I won't say anything.

I rather the person play happy than angry

Dreams, why do you get zehpyr on jayce?

Also I love jayce. Games go on longer = more time to stack baby. I think I can carry my elo with him as long as I dont go against shyvana/my team feeds.

Because his damage late comes from his W and right-clicking. You only jump in when it really, really makes sense to do so. Outside of that, you're a turret like any ADC late. It's just that you have the option to jump in and burst the FUCK out of someone. You don't switch to hammer form unless it's a safe jump in to secure kills or a knockback peel for someone late. Zephyr (1) increases his attack speed, which combines with those crit item pickup(s) so you don't lose dps when your W is cooling down, (2) decreases cooldowns (so W can be up asap), and (3) keeps his movespeed high. But it's always that, "sitting on 4k gold and nothing to buy...time to replace the boots" purchase.

Moodmon

Neo Member
Ignore the haters, acquire elo.

You wouldn't believe how many people complain about akali jungle, but I just ignore them lol

Or when I take support ziggs for a roll, nonstop whining. I'm something like 8-2 with him though in ranked

Not kidding about Akali jungle. I was Leona support trying out normal drafts, she was last pick and eyebrows were raised. Then proceeds to completely carry the entire game, just dominated everyone. Even better/worse, last game we had a different jungler.

Poppy.

Faces were wrecked. She went pure damage, was absolutely ridiculous.

Reaching high elo dominion now. Facing challenger players and streamers frequently; queue times of 5-10 minutes regularly. Ended up playing against a 5 man teams repeatedly because there aren't any other 5 man dominion teams anywhere near this elo playing right now.
I used to be in a similar position once, with the 10+ minute queue times and reappearing Diamond players.

Then I was practically forced to be bot lane at all times because everyone else would lose against the Manamune - Frozen Mallet AD Malzahar. Matching up against him stopped being funny after (approximately) 10 consecutive games.

There is no explicit ranked matches for Dominion; they said they'd put them back in, but so far it hasn't happened.
It's a shame that the ranked queues in Dominion aren't back yet as I think it would breathe some life into the mode.
Dominion never received Ranked Matches if I remember correctly. Riot initially stated they were hesitant to flip the switch because they wanted Dominion's meta to evolve or to have the mode be patched on a semi-regular basis... and then they did absolutely nothing. Nowadays they're only replying with a resolute (and convenient) "it won't be popular" excuse.

Nah, they're all strong. Then there is Kassadin tier, but a low tier doesn't exist, just that broken tier.
Nunu wishes he was strong. Like, anywhere.

Would Zilean be OP if he could reduce the cooldown of his allies? I was thinking of something like:

W: Rewind:
- Cooldown adjusted to 20/18/16/14/12 (from 18/15/12/9/6)
- Mana cost adjusted to 20/40/60/80/100 (from 50 at all levels)
- Reduces cooldowns of target ally by 3 (+1 per 100%AP)
- If Zilean targets self, he still reduces his own cooldowns by a flat 10 seconds. Rewind cooldown and mana cost reduced by 50% (this puts it back to live values, if he targets himself)

DeadNames

Banned
Would Zilean be OP if he could reduce the cooldown of his allies? I was thinking of something like:

W: Rewind:
- Cooldown adjusted to 20/18/16/14/12 (from 18/15/12/9/6)
- Mana cost adjusted to 20/40/60/80/100 (from 50 at all levels)
- Reduces cooldowns of target ally by 3 (+1 per 100%AP)
- If Zilean targets self, he still reduces his own cooldowns by a flat 10 seconds. Rewind cooldown and mana cost reduced by 50% (this puts it back to live values, if he targets himself)

I think that would be really interesting. It may be broken on some champs like Aatrox/Zac/Anivia with revive passives though.

But to be honest, I want that. I want every champ to have something that makes them scary. Do-everything champs like Elise/Lee/Vi are quite detrimental to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom