• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT6| My AP Mid Can't Be This Cute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping they remove those stupid goggles from the default Twitch VU skin. Looks good otherwise. Anyone know which one the eyepatch skin (next to Vandal Twitch) is supposed to be though? I don't recognize it.

yea poor sona is probably the biggest victim of s4's breaking of the rock paper scissors meta of bot lane

because basically burst now beats poke and nobody plays sustain so it's basically burst beating everyone lol
If only there was proper itemization to combat heavy sustain instead of nerfing those kits into the ground. Nah, that's crazy talk.

Newt

Hoping they remove those stupid goggles from the default Twitch VU skin. Looks good otherwise. Anyone know which one the eyepatch skin (next to Vandal Twitch) is supposed to be though? I don't recognize it.

If only there was proper itemization to combat heavy sustain instead of nerfing those kits into the ground. Nah, that's crazy talk.
The solution is nerfing champs like Leona to the ground (who can ignore all harass) which is basically what riot is doing right now. Also, I don't understand how Sona being strong is a good thing. Remember when she could take out half of someone's health level 1 with one Q?

The solution is nerfing champs like Leona to the ground (who can ignore all harass) which is basically what riot is doing right now. Also, I don't understand how Sona being strong is a good thing. Remember when she could take out half of someone's health level 1 with one Q?
I should've been more clear since I didn't mean Sona, and her Q isn't sustain anyways. I moreso meant the likes of Warwick, Yorick, Nunu and so forth being unfairly neutered. Leona ignoring all harrass is also overstated, not that I disagree with her minor nerfs.

Newt

you can harass leona pretty easily after they changed d shield
Well after the nerfs to the shield it's definitely easier, but if you're saying it's easy I would disagree and say you're definitely wrong. After level ~4 she's pretty safe from most poke.

Though I think the regen changes and the w nerf will make a big difference.

Boken

Banned
right now theres absolutely no point to calling leona OP when morgana still exists

mebe sustain is a little high, but the tradeoff is that spellthief makes a million dollars

Leezard

you can harass leona pretty easily after they changed d shield

Pretty much. I don't think this is a huge deal, Leona was easy to handle before and will just become sightly easier to handle, perhaps she will need to run hp/5 runes.
Thresh just gained another advantage in bot lane with this as he will have an even easier time against Leona.

Leona is manageable if you get one of the two supports that can peel her off you, otherwise you might as well be picking Sivir/Lucian/Cait every game.

Newt

People do this regardless of whether there is a Leona in the game, so it's not a big deal I guess. :p
You're missing the inherent problem.
right now theres absolutely no point to calling leona OP when morgana still exists

mebe sustain is a little high, but the tradeoff is that spellthief makes a million dollars
I was referring to before patch 4.5. Also...this logic is flawed.

"No point calling Leblanc OP because Kayle exists"

Leezard

You're missing the inherent problem.

I really do not think that laning against Leona is difficult. There are so many supports/adcs that can handle it well, as long as you play it right. I know one of the problems with Leona is that she punishes people with bad positioning, but is much less useful when her opponents have proper positioning. This does make her a problem in lower ranks where people do not necessarily know how to position properly.

It will certainly become easier after the nerfs, though. I don't think they're a big deal though, Leona should still be able to do stuff, but she will be forced to position a bit better herself, which is fair, I suppose.

Newt

I really do not think that laning against Leona is difficult. There are so many supports/adcs that can handle it well, as long as you play it right. I know one of the problems with Leona is that she punishes people with bad positioning, but is much less useful when her opponents have proper positioning. This does make her a problem in lower ranks where people do not necessarily know how to position properly.

It will certainly become easier after the nerfs, though. I don't think they're a big deal though, Leona should still be able to do stuff, but she will be forced to position a bit better herself.
No, Leona restricts champion picks. If you don't have an escape, you're going to have to flash every time she ults you, especially during a gank whether your positioning is good or bad. She doesn't a ~40% lcs pick for no reason.

Boken

Banned
leona @ 19th in pick/ban stats. complains

meanwhile, thresh sits at 78% pick ban,
nope
no problem there

if we are really going to bring up 'lcs stats'

morg, leona, thresh, karma all share pretty even pick stats for the last week of 4.4
*shrug*
leona isnt the big deal here. if u complain that leona restricts champion picks cos she crushes sustain supports then u r accepting there are hard counters bot. morgana by definition hard counters leona. so we should see less leona, making her not even a problem

thresh is the real problem. he can do everything making it a base amount of utility required in supports, crushing people like soraka or taric who can really just do 1 thing.

Leona is fine on her own accord.

The problem is when you combine her own scaling ability and stuff like carry junglers being the norm, having a support that can effectively lock you down while someone like Kha Zix or Lucian eats up kills bot whenever her ult is up is just overwhelming. In S3 if you were versus Leona as a escape-less carry you had room to do something about it, right now you either pick someone with an escape or Sivir because all she has to do is catch you this one time for things to go wrong.

She's basically the new Blitz. She's manageable but if she hits you after a few levels it's GG

Newt

19th in pick/ban stats. complains

meanwhile, thresh sits at 78% pick ban,
nope
no problem there
It's no secret Thresh is too strong. He's the Kassadin of supports. Only reason I bring up Leona because people here believe she was "easy to manage" even before her nerfs.

Zukuu

Banned
So with the recent armor changes armor / lvl seems to be more worth it as jungler, since around level 6 they are even with flat and then proceed to have a greater effect. With the 4 base armor everyone gets, you'd have 6.88 at level 2 vs the 13 from before. at level 3 8.32. 9.76 at 5 and 12.64 at 6... ~30 at level 18. New flats yield 9 at all levels (13 with new base armor).

What do you think?

brian!

It will certainly become easier after the nerfs, though. I don't think they're a big deal though, Leona should still be able to do stuff, but she will be forced to position a bit better herself, which is fair, I suppose.

yeah i prtty much agree w/ this
shes good against ppl that dont know how to play against her, since when she's successful it hurtz

ive never thought of her main strength as laning, tho she certainly fit the particular meta mold
it was more her place as someone who could catch someone easily w/ siv or coin
like in NA at least, siv/shyv (or something similar)/leona was kind of a staple for a week or two

morg does well against leona but leona can beat morg too

My biggest gripe with Leona is not her ability to have retarded initiation, it's that she has like half the downtime that other initiation supports do while laning.

Thresh misses a hook and you have 20 seconds to do go on the offensive and do something about it. Leona misses a jump and in 10 seconds she can just jump again. Thresh wastes his ult and gets a 150 second CD at rank 1, Leona gets 90, and so on.

There's only so much you can do in those 10 seconds, and if you stay too long she'll be able to turn it around as her skills come back up.

brian!

iunno 10 seconds is a long time plus flay will be up

a lot of ppl dying to leona or leona + jung ganks at 6 were due to them just not playing around the enemy team's potential. its like when ppl die to draven over and over early, it just really should not be happening if u got burnt by the cheese b4

like, w/ panth ppl kinda expect him to drop at bot at 6 now, his ability to cheese out kills lowers because of that

Leezard

No, Leona restricts champion picks. If you don't have an escape, you're going to have to flash every time she ults you, especially during a gank whether your positioning is good or bad. She doesn't a ~40% lcs pick for no reason.

It's no secret Thresh is too strong. He's the Kassadin of supports. Only reason I bring up Leona because people here believe she was "easy to manage" even before her nerfs.

She's not nearly as much of a problem as Thresh, as you say. Her ult is a flash check, but we can't act as if doing it during a gank is a problem really. If it's not during a gank, you're still going to be able to outplay Leona + her adc with so many different combinations of adc/supports. I'm not going to go into the specific strategies here as I'm sure you know how to play bot lane.

We can't act as if mobility creep in adcs is there only due to Leona either, the adcs with mobility have essentially always been favored once adcs with mobility started to be released. They simply are safer with respect to jungle ganks and other cc in teamfights.

There's a reason so many Leona lanes goes for a lane swap in LCS as well, they know they will have a disadvantage in lane.

My biggest gripe with Leona is not her ability to have retarded initiation, it's that she has like half the downtime that other initiation supports do while laning.

Thresh misses a hook and you have 20 seconds to do go on the offensive and do something about it. Leona misses a jump and in 10 seconds she can just jump again. Thresh wastes his ult and gets a 150 second CD at rank 1, Leona gets 90, and so on.

There's only so much you can do in those 10 seconds, and if you stay too long she'll be able to turn it around as her skills come back up.
The difference here is that Thresh can contribute to the lane outside of his hook, he will still be able to save people with W, cancel Leona's E with his own E, and harass with his ranged attack. Leona cannot contribute to the lane when her E is down unless she gets to walk up into the face of the opponents.

you forget that Leona's a melee champion though. unless she can engage, she doesn't do anything. If she misses her stuff, that's 10 seconds of her being a sitting duck for poke.

if Thresh or Lulu or whatever miss their stuff, they're still a ranged champion that has tools to harass and shield their carries and stuff.

There are serious tradeoffs there.

Not to mention, Thresh has the option to engage with Q. Leona can suicide if she engages with E at the wrong moment. Leona doesn't have any form of harass either. She's just get in and stay there.

Boken

Banned
thresh n lulu in the same sentence
guys pls

ive always hoped theyd make the range of lantern scale with level

its such a huge one point wonder right now its disgusting. with some junglers, simply throwing your lantern behind you and running at the enemy is enough. yuk

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
you forget that Leona's a melee champion though. unless she can engage, she doesn't do anything. If she misses her stuff, that's 10 seconds of her being a sitting duck for poke.

if Thresh or Lulu or whatever miss their stuff, they're still a ranged champion that has tools to harass and shield their carries and stuff.

There are serious tradeoffs there.
if you miss your spells on thresh and lulu you usually have to back off, because that's the window for the enemy to trade with you.

iunno 10 seconds is a long time plus flay will be up

a lot of ppl dying to leona or leona + jung ganks at 6 were due to them just not playing around the enemy team's potential. its like when ppl die to draven over and over early, it just really should not be happening if u got burnt by the cheese b4

like, w/ panth ppl kinda expect him to drop at bot at 6 now, his ability to cheese out kills lowers because of that
But unless they have like Warwick, any jungler will be killing them. Like, if any jungler that goes Elder Lizard drops by bot by the time he has finished it, it'll probably end up in a kill or at the very least a burnt flash or forcing out of your tower for long enough for them to take it down. It's not just playing to her potential, she basically dictates the pacing of the entirety of the laning phase with her presence alone.

The new HP runes might help dealing with her a lot if they allow you to survive getting jumped at, though. We'll see, I still have no idea how the LS quint nerf will affect adcs.

Newt

Not to mention, Thresh has the option to engage with Q. Leona can suicide if she engages with E at the wrong moment. Leona doesn't have any form of harass either. She's just get in and stay there.
I think we're underestimating her defensive options.

brian!

she dictates the pacing of the laning phase the same as any other pick
you will always play according to your available kit and your enemy's available kit, and leona is not the only support that can kill you with jungler help

like the only 100% gank is a favorable dive
actually even that has to do with you or your team not being in the right place

if you miss your spells on thresh and lulu you usually have to back off, because that's the window for the enemy to trade with you.

but you still have more to do in lane if you miss your hook as thresh or miss your glitter lance as lulu than if you miss your zenith blade as leona.

brian!

thats why a lot of leonas get relic shield now kappa

and yeah leona isn't totally fucked w/ a non favorable engage during laning, she has a little breathing room, but less than a lot of others
shes not like blitz or something

I think we're underestimating her defensive options.
People seem to forget her defensive steroid scales with well, resistances. The tankier she gets, the tankier she gets. Leona has no trouble not dying.

The difference here is that Thresh can contribute to the lane outside of his hook, he will still be able to save people with W, cancel Leona's E with his own E, and harass with his ranged attack. Leona cannot contribute to the lane when her E is down unless she gets to walk up into the face of the opponents.
Leona being binary isn't an excuse. Nidalee's only real, safe source of damage are her spears, that means they're fine as is, right?

Newt

she dictates the pacing of the laning phase the same as any other pick
you will always play according to your available kit and your enemy's available kit, and leona is not the only support that can kill you with jungler help

like the only 100% gank is a favorable dive
actually even that has to do with you or your team not being in the right place
You think that Leona and Thresh dictate the pacing of laning the same amount as other supports?

Leezard

People seem to forget her defensive steroid scales with well, resistances. The tankier she gets, the tankier she gets. Leona has no trouble not dying.

Leona being binary isn't an excuse. Nidalee's only real, safe source of damage are her spears, that means they're fine as is, right?

On the contrary, Nidalee being fine or not doesn't necessarily mean that Leona can't be fine as is. I would like to see more options for Leona contribute to lane as her defensive options in an unfavorable situation are quite bad compared to most other supports. By defensive options I don't mean only for herself, but also for her adc.

brian!

i dont think ppl are saying leona is binary, just that her ranged engage is based on a set of cooldowns
she has 4 spells that dont necessarily need to be comboed

You think that Leona and Thresh dictate the pacing of laning the same amount as other supports?

i think every support dictates the pacing of laning in their own way and that you should play accordingly
i dont think any support is op in laning, though there are definitely ones that present more opportunities or put down more pressure

oh i c, when i said the same as other supports i dont mean the same way, I mean she's a champion pick like the other support is a champion pick and you should figure out what your options are because of that + u always have an ok amnt of options

remember leona began to be picked up when annie was king

Boken

Banned
Like, if any jungler that goes Elder Lizard drops by bot by the time he has finished it, it'll probably end up in a kill or at the very least a burnt flash or forcing out of your tower for long enough for them to take it down. It's not just playing to her potential, she basically dictates the pacing of the entirety of the laning phase with her presence alone.

people should be allowed to take advantage of their power spikes?

leona doesnt dictate shit at lvl 1-2

lvl 5 leona is kinda jank too

dass not how binary works

Combined with the current top tier carries? If you get caught by a lvl 2 Leona you'll at the very least lose two thirds of your health.
i think every support dictates the pacing of laning in their own way and that you should play accordingly
i dont think any support is op in laning, though there are definitely ones that present more opportunities or put down more pressure

oh i c, when i said the same as other supports i dont mean the same way, I mean she's a champion pick like the other support is a champion pick and you should figure out what your options are because of that + u always have an ok amnt of options
Considering your post, what I'm trying to say is that the way Leona and Thresh to a lesser extent - because of the stuff he can do when behind - dictate the laning phase is too overwhelming for the state bot lane is right now.

They're basically the feast-or-famine supports. The problem is that the balance is heavily skewed towards feast, moreso in Thresh's case since if he can't just downright get you killed, he can make damn sure his carry doesn't. Leona on the other hand either just sends you to an early grave or just stays there until 6, where she will hit you eventually.

brian!

they are good for sure, and they definitely edge out picks like janna or soraka
i think ppl are just pointing out that all in engages have to be less stupid now
the idea that there are supports that can do whatever they want is wroooooong

i mean ive always been of the opinion that if you died in whatever lane w/o the jungler u fukked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom