• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT6| My AP Mid Can't Be This Cute

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian!

i got a mousepad

that lmq game just now was pretty fun, vasilii plays how i play in inhouses

hai no you can be a king even if you are a girl

So I'm spectating an IRL friend doing his Plat 1 > Diamond promos and his top lane Shen - who is 3/0 versus Rene - has gone double Warmogs.

So I've tried team builder a few times now and it's like going back in time. I'm Gold III now (but still rocking the Bronze S3 icon, never forget how you came up) and most people in team builder are unranked or learning new champions.

I was able to zone out and force a recall of a Tristana/Malphite bot lane as Nami with just constant harassment and good positioning. Instead of trading with me, they eventually started running away when I attacked them, so I got free damage and my ADC was able to maintain almost a double CS lead.

No one went for dragon, our Jax was trying to get people to group mid, but everyone just farmed their lanes. Eventually the game dragged long enough for the enemy team to win after catching people out in the jungle (no one warded) and pushing mid (and you realise where all those Reddit posts whining about lack of snowballing come from).

Not trying to brag or anything but I'm happy with how my skill level has increased. I remember hating going against Caitlin in lane because I always took so much harass from her range and had to recall. Now I know to hit her back when she hits me to keep the damage even, and go aggressive when her Q is down because I out-burst her (I main Lucian in bot).

I said to myself I'd be happy with Gold, but I'm pretty sure I can get Plat. Hardly anyone keeps buff timers at this level and I've committed to doing them every single time now.

brian!

frommaplestreet was really adamant that graves is a lucian counter
i just started watching how come lucy has teleport

i guess lucian has high split/dueling power but whats the rest of his team supposed to do

Repgnar

Newt, why aren't you a fan of Vel? I haven't played him that often but sort of went on a streak with him this weekend. I feel like his kit works in bot lane and doesn't really need that many items to do damage with his ult. He has a slow to catch people, a knockup, and the damage. I wouldn't play him if Leona was still up but felt pretty confident going against any other lane. There was only one game where Thresh became a problem but other than that it was pretty smooth.

DCRLN8M.jpg

Hooooly smokes that was intense.
Most back and forth game I've played so far, of course 4v5 helps...
No one was paying attention and I suddenly realized their minions were about to win them the game so I quickly recalled, stopped the onslaught then everyone pushed and we won.
Glad I started playing again. Also finally had a good game with Annie.

Boken

Banned
No one was paying attention and I suddenly realized their minions were about to win them the game so I quickly recalled, stopped the onslaught then everyone pushed and we won.

nice work!

btw, theres a mage version of trinity force - called "lich bane" that gives you bonus attack based on your ability power (AP)

DeadNames

Banned

Tiamat/Nashor's Ashe. Kappa.

19jazOy.jpg

Now THIS was intense. I had a crazy flash + shield on our shyv to win us the game. Me and ez solo'd like two towers, all the while the enemy team had us cornered. Our Jax was awful.
Karma does so much damage late game O.O

Newt

Newt, why aren't you a fan of Vel? I haven't played him that often but sort of went on a streak with him this weekend. I feel like his kit works in bot lane and doesn't really need that many items to do damage with his ult. He has a slow to catch people, a knockup, and the damage. I wouldn't play him if Leona was still up but felt pretty confident going against any other lane. There was only one game where Thresh became a problem but other than that it was pretty smooth.
I feel he just does really badly against the top supports right now. Like his poke is good, but he offers no sustain, and once the enemy AD buys a vamp sceptre his poke isn't as relevant anymore. Late game I think he would just be outshined by supports who offer more utility.

Wait, they got rid of the reduction? Just... why?

Because it now only heals two people instead of (potentially) five. The main concern before was that people would run five Heal team fighting strats.

Two Heal lanes are probably acceptable, balance-wise, if kind of boring. They mostly just need to do something for Barrier to make it a valid selfish choice for ADCs. Maybe make it so while the Barrier holds enemy ArmPen/MPen doesn't apply? (As in, they are treated as having 0 ArmPen/MPen until the Barrier either breaks from damage or times out.)

Or maybe just remove Barrier and accept people using Heal as the survival summoner. I mean, it's not like it's always been a part of Summoner's Rift, anyway. It's an ARAM import (that ironically is now worthless in ARAM).

zkylon

zkylewd
I would normally never play Veigar. He's a waddling pinata full of free gold for any jungler who can find the mid lane without getting lost.

But, hey, if you're going to do nothing but farm with spears and turn into a cat now and then to clear creeps off your tower, then sure, I can sit there and collect a +80 stack on my Q and then 100-0 your ADC while you're off hopping around in bushes during team fights. I'm not too proud for that, I've played some Nasus just like everybody else.
my favorite thing to do against nidalee is just pushing her to turret and watch them fail at last hitting

it's not like i'm any good at last hitting under turret with nidalee either but it's nice to share the pain

I hope no Lux or Nidalee players think they're good when they hit their "skillshots". These hitboxes make me wanna puke.
so salty

Mmm Ok, I will start powering up Sona, whats the best builds so far for her? I am using mobafire to check some builds
you should normally max her q first, then w, but some people change that up. i've seen sona's do well doing like w and then e, but i personally think r>q>w>e is simple and effective

for items your cores should usually be talisman+mikaels+sighstone. you can like do something like upgrade ancient coin once then build chalice, then finish either of them depending on what you need (speed boost from talisman or cleanse from mikaels), but both are really good on sona.

then i normally just build tanky cos arming sona with ap is a waste. locket is a cool item for cdr, the active and cool defensive stats, or you could get like randuins to help peel for your carries, or frozen heart if the enemy team has many autoattackers. frozen heart in fact might be really good for her since it got changed last patch, as it's easier and cheaper to build.

if you want more offensive you can do like morellos or twin shadows, both of which give you cdr (cdr is super key on sona as you'll want to spam a lot to get many passives off) and a decent amount of ap, plus some cool passives and actives.

usually my games with sona i end up with something like mobi boots/merc treads + talisman + mikaels + sightstone + randuins + banshee's, if it goes that far into lategame.

i play her with fairly tanky runes and masteries. i think i'm like 2 flat hp quints, 1 flat ap quint, 9 doublepen reds, 9 flat hp yellows, 3 flat mr blues and 6 mp5 blues, tho depends on the game and i will run tankier pages often. for masteries it's something like 0 14 16.

Boken

Banned
Because it now only heals two people instead of (potentially) five. The main concern before was that people would run five Heal team fighting strats.

Two Heal lanes are probably acceptable, balance-wise, if kind of boring. They mostly just need to do something for Barrier to make it a valid selfish choice for ADCs. Maybe make it so while the Barrier holds enemy ArmPen/MPen doesn't apply? (As in, they are treated as having 0 ArmPen/MPen until the Barrier either breaks from damage or times out.)

Or maybe just remove Barrier and accept people using Heal as the survival summoner. I mean, it's not like it's always been a part of Summoner's Rift, anyway. It's an ARAM import (that ironically is now worthless in ARAM).

i recommend lowering the self heal by 33%

we dont need more weird convoluted mechanix

LMQ bringing out graves
in a meta where bot lane has 2x heal

LMQ WHY

Well, double Heal is kind of to Graves' advantage because of his passive. The health from double heal is more valuable to him than to every ADC except for maybe Urgot. Yeah, it's unlikely you're going to burst them down, but they aren't likely to take you down, either.

I'm more curious why people are running Corki into double Heal lanes where everyone's running Flat HP runepages anyway. His mixed damage is a lot less valuable under those circumstances since you're trying to chunk through HP rather than someone stacking flat Armor.

you should normally max her q first, then w, but some people change that up. i've seen sona's do well doing like w and then e, but i personally think r>q>w>e is simple and effective

for items your cores should usually be talisman+mikaels+sighstone. you can like do something like upgrade ancient coin once then build chalice, then finish either of them depending on what you need (speed boost from talisman or cleanse from mikaels), but both are really good on sona.

then i normally just build tanky cos arming sona with ap is a waste. locket is a cool item for cdr, the active and cool defensive stats, or you could get like randuins to help peel for your carries, or frozen heart if the enemy team has many autoattackers. frozen heart in fact might be really good for her since it got changed last patch, as it's easier and cheaper to build.

if you want more offensive you can do like morellos or twin shadows, both of which give you cdr (cdr is super key on sona as you'll want to spam a lot to get many passives off) and a decent amount of ap, plus some cool passives and actives.

usually my games with sona i end up with something like mobi boots/merc treads + talisman + mikaels + sightstone + randuins + banshee's, if it goes that far into lategame.

i play her with fairly tanky runes and masteries. i think i'm like 2 flat hp quints, 1 flat ap quint, 9 doublepen reds, 9 flat hp yellows, 3 flat mr blues and 6 mp5 blues, tho depends on the game and i will run tankier pages often. for masteries it's something like 0 14 16.

What about runes? I am buying some magi penetration

zkylon

zkylewd

i just said but heh

actually i just checked, these are my support runepages:

ballsy sona page:
quints: 3 flat armor
reds: 9 double pen
yellows: 9 flat hp
blues: 3 flat mr, 6 flat mp5 (will probably fiddle a bit with this tho and do like 5-4 or something)

leona page (also use it on thresh, sona, nami, blitz, depends on the matchup and what i feel like doing):
reds: 9 flat hp
blues: 9 flat mr

thresh page:
reds: 9 flat ad
blues: 3 flat mr, 6 flat mp5 (again will probably change it)

annie page:
quints: 3 flat ap
reds: 9 double pen
yellows: 4 flat armor, 5 flat hp
blues: 3 flat mr, 6 flat ap

mid lane page that works for annie and a bunch of others:
quints: 3 flat ap
reds: 9 mpen
blues: 9 flat mr (could also be ap/lvl)

wouldn't say copy them as such since that's up to how everyone plays but i like them. i think the best overall thing to have as support is something like my tanky page with maybe mpen or ad reds. you don't really need anything other than tankiness as a support, i just enjoy messing around with runes and wasting ip on them

if you don't have the ip i'd say do them probably in this order armor quints (since they're the cheapest) > hp yellows (prolly the most useful runes of the bunch) > mr blues = mpen reds (both aren't THAT important as suppotr but since they help with other roles they're still cool to have).

if you have like a basic ad and ap page for like mid and adc you could probably still do fine, runes aren't that important aside from the fact of getting you to the same point of everyone else (like the dude in front of you doesn't have 80 more health than you, basically)

Here's what I use, but it's probably outdated.

Red: Mpen, 1x Crit Chance
Yellow: Flat HP / Armor mix
Quint: Flat AP
Blue: Flat/Scaling MR mix, 3x Flat Mana Regen

I use 1x Crit Chance on everyone though, since a rare random crit is better than no random crit. Sometimes it completely flips the table on trades.

---

For builds, it's almost always QWQE then R>Q>W>E. I very rarely ever go W>Q, and it's only when we're losing badly in lane.

I like giving her some AP. My end build is something like:
- Any boots not named Swiftness
- Sight Stone
- Frost Queen's Claim
- Crucible
- Zhonya / Rylai / Abyssal
- Random situationals: Morello, Twin Shadows, Locket, Randuin, Deathcap

Randuin active is always great, but FQC can function similarly for someone who doesn't dive and stay inside a teamfight.

---

LMQ must be super confident with Graves to bring him to the last match.

Boken

Banned
Why are you guys trying to teach him how to support as annie

Let him play carry with her

Protip: you max w first on support annie because it has higher base damage

Repgnar

I feel he just does really badly against the top supports right now. Like his poke is good, but he offers no sustain, and once the enemy AD buys a vamp sceptre his poke isn't as relevant anymore. Late game I think he would just be outshined by supports who offer more utility.

Fair enough. While Vel does have some utility with his Q slow and E knock up there's certainly some other supports that can do it just as well if not better(Annie stun, Karma harrass + utility).

Any word on Gragas support since the rework? Been meaning to try it but mostly played rank this weekend where I wasn't willing to try it out.

zkylon

zkylewd
still gotta give support grago a shot

tbh he needed to get nerfed but i miss playing the big guy. there's a big hole in my roster right now

i even played ziggs in ranked the other day

what am i doing

You will kill me because I mainly use E then W then Q
In the late game I use the QWE combo
yea that's not the bestest order to max

you should pretty much always max q or w first, then the other one. the benefit from e is just not as noticeable as more damage or more heals and since the e power chord doesn't scale with ranks it's not really that important to max it early

and usually you should use power chord q the most in lane and power chord e every time you want to catch someone (say that vayne thought she was cute by tumbling and hitting you then she eats a 40% slow to the face then exhaust then your jungler comes and murders her ass).

late game you'll be mostly using power chord e for catching people and sometimes w although i still think it's not that useful (tho saved me a couple times)

Why are you guys trying to teach him how to support as annie

Let him play carry with her

Protip: you max w first on support annie because it has higher base damage
yea that too

annie was my first mid and she rocks.

Nekofrog

Banned
that wasn't just a baron throw

that was one of the worst things i've ever seen in a pro game. every time lmq inched forward c9 would bunch up closer and closer and further back into the pit. you could feel the sheer panic rushing through them

that was one of the worst things i've ever seen in a pro game. every time lmq inched forward c9 would bunch up closer and closer and further back into the pit. you could feel the sheer panic rushing through them

Sometimes you just gotta get into a cuddle-puddle and hug it out.

... maybe take it out of the Baron pit, though.

Snowman

you have to be winning to throw :p

i've been playing a lot of Ez lately and I'm doing the BT-TF-LW build but man maybe I should start doing bork?

I feel like my kiting isn't that great so I wouldnt take full advantage of bork.

Subtle

I was exaggerating but he's had so many build options. Like regular ADC, blue build, triforce, and now rushing bork. I know not all of them are viable but still out of all the carries I feel his build path is the most flexible

drawkcaB

Any word on Gragas support since the rework? Been meaning to try it but mostly played rank this weekend where I wasn't willing to try it out.

I'd wait until they fix his bugs and general odd shit in his mechanics before trying. I've put my own plans of practicing jungle Gragas for the same reason.

Ezreal's problem is that he seems inherently weak once you hit late-game versus other ADCs and relies more on trying to dodge stuff rather than actually kill off people.

Ezreal's problem is that he seems inherently weak once you hit late-game versus other ADCs and relies more on trying to dodge stuff rather than actually kill off people.

Yeah, he just... doesn't excel anywhere, honestly.

There are two very similar champions (Lucian and Corki). The first one flatly exceeds Ezreal early game and late game. The other flatly exceeds him mid game. There's just no point in Ezreal's journey where he's the best guy at what he does, which makes him at best a, "Oh my main got picked/banned" champion.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I've been testing new stuff on Sejuani for a bit and I think I've come to the conclusion that offensive masteries and CDR blues really help her out a bunch.

Wish MF makes a comeback to the competitive meta. I hate the split push, tp, poke meta. Bring back the 5v5 wombo combo meta. I want to see huge sona, malph, mumu, mf , ori, j4 etc... ults

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom