• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT6| My AP Mid Can't Be This Cute

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian!

im not splinter im more like raphael or michaelangelo
or april o neil
or the big mutated turtle who gets mad that there is poison in the donuts

zkylon

zkylewd
Lol u found me on reddit.

http://www.twitch.tv/nicegametv/b/528696345
The match starts around 30 mins in.
?

rly?

waddya mean

That's something a friend of mine told me REALLY early on when I was still super cautious about going into PvP. Each game isn't an ending, it's another step in the learning process. Learn something from every match about your character or your matchups.

Last night I was way ahead of the rest of my team as Jinx and racking up kills like crazy. As a result, I accidentally ended up KSing a few kills my teammates could have used to get money (and boy did I hear about it) to help balance the scales.

We ended up losing the game, and while the statistics show that personally did pretty great, I learned a lot about how I could've helped the team dynamic and possibly helped win the game.
yup that's good mentality

i usually try to blame myself for everything that happens

u know if jungler gave me blue buff

if not it's his ass

Jeff-DSA

I do wish there was a little bit of tempering Riot would do in amount of LP lost if you get an AFK player or a quitter. You should still lose LP for losing the match, but if you had a teammate that never even left the base or even bought an item, they should get double the LP loss and the teammates should have theirs greatly reduced. I had it happen twice last night, and I have literally zero control over that yet I still pay the full LP loss penalty.

BTW guys, Fiora is still awesome in the jungle and wrecked an Eve. She did catch me while I was taking my red buff and got an early kill there, but after that, it was all in my favor despite her pretty dang good counter jungling efforts.

Type2

Minor blitz buffs!, soraka nerfs and a trist buff......?:
http://www.surrenderat20.net/2014/05/514-pbe-updat.html

Balance Changes
* Remember *: The PBE is a testing grounds for new, tentative, and sometimes radical changes. The changes you see below may be lacking context or other accompanying changes that didn't make it in - don't freak out! These are not official notes.

Champions

Blitzcrank

Rocket Grab ( Q ) mana cost lowered to 100 at all ranks from 120
Static Field ( R ) mana cost lowered to 100 at all ranks from 150

Cho'Gath

( will check in game, looks like cast time down, cast range up slightly )

Malzahar

Nether Grasp ( R ) mana cost lowered to 100 at all ranks from 150 at all ranks.

Soraka

Starcall ( Q ) damage lowered to 50/75/100/125/150 from 60/95/130/165/200
Starcall ( Q ) Astral Blessing Cooldown reduction increased to 5/8/11/14/17% from 5/6.5/7.5/8.75/10

Tristana

Rapid Fire ( Q ) cooldown lowered to 16 from 20 at all ranks

brian!

These deep cuts.

its just statz, I forgot where one can get em, but at the start of season 4 the ratio of gold - plat were largely the same and in season 3 it was def more like 1.8:1 or something, I posted it mebbe two threads ago. I wanna see how it is now but I dont remember how you can find these numbers

but basically what it means to be gold vs. plat, for example, has stayed largely the same vs. what it takes to achieve those ranks

zkylon

zkylewd
soraka nerfs not enough but still appreciated

blitz buffs are ok i guess but they don't change much, hook is now like 40% of your mana instead of 50%. he needs a lot more

cho buff is a range buff on his ult. i like that one

Type2

soraka nerfs not enough but still appreciated

blitz buffs are ok i guess but they don't change much, hook is now like 40% of your mana instead of 50%. he needs a lot more

cho buff is a range buff on his ult. i like that one

Blitz needs a minor rework. I dont really like his ult or passive. He needs some modernization to maintain his hook king status.

brian!

yo nm ranked stats have mostly settled according to this website
http://na.op.gg/statistics/tier/

so this year:
33.19% br
40.45% sil
17.32% gol
6.89% pla
2.25% dia

this is what it was last year
47.9% br
42.1% sil
7.5% gol
1.9% pla
0.64% dia

but consider things like population increase and stuf, plus ppl getting better and ppl not playing anymore, but yah the ratio of diamond players now is more than plat players bak in da day

Blitz needs a minor rework. I dont really like his ult or passive. He needs some modernization to maintain his hook king status.

Agree he needs a rework, but the main problem is his Q is probably the best non-ultimate spell in the game and his E and ult are literally the ideal follow ups and can't really miss.

I have a problem with "win the game" buttons.

I honestly think it's a perception thing. If I think hard enough, my average match time was about 35 minutes last season. It's about the same now. The big difference I think is that it's taken longer to figure out when a match is truly won. You can't let your guard down and relax at the 20 minute mark because your team is doing considerably better. The added tension makes things feel longer.
My favorite perception-related remark from back in the day was how Kennen supposedly wasn't good anymore (according to various communities as well as pro players) because he lost 25 attack range once. 25. Fast-forward a few months later and he became a FotM pick again.

Solo queue is the worst.

That's something a friend of mine told me REALLY early on when I was still super cautious about going into PvP. Each game isn't an ending, it's another step in the learning process. Learn something from every match about your character or your matchups.

Last night I was way ahead of the rest of my team as Jinx and racking up kills like crazy. As a result, I accidentally ended up KSing a few kills my teammates could have used to get money (and boy did I hear about it) to help balance the scales.

We ended up losing the game, and while the statistics show that personally did pretty great, I learned a lot about how I could've helped the team dynamic and possibly helped win the game.
On a sidenote: if you're still adapting to the PvP nature of the game as you call it, try playing some Dominion in between bouts of Summoner's Rift. It's a simpler game mode (without it being mindnumbing like ARAM) and if anything, you'll pick up much faster how to position your champion, when to be aggressive with trades et cetera. Twisted Treeline also isn't too shabby.

garath

yo nm ranked stats have mostly settled according to this website
http://na.op.gg/statistics/tier/

so this year:
33.19% br
40.45% sil
17.32% gol
6.89% pla
2.25% dia

this is what it was last year
47.9% br
42.1% sil
7.5% gol
1.9% pla
0.64% dia

but consider things like population increase and stuf, plus ppl getting better and ppl not playing anymore, but yah the ratio of diamond players now is more than play players bak in da day

I can see this. People are getting better and the moba genre in general is getting more widespread. I suspect they lowered the bar just a touch too when they went from elo to the tier setup. But almost 75% of the population is still bronze and silver. Makes sense.

Not feeling too special smack dab in the middle of Gold anymore lol.

zkylon

zkylewd
yup, for sure he needs a hard look when things like his ult passive just make no sense and just removing the ult passive would hilariously be a net buff to him

i dunno how minor it could be, blitz's kit is fun but can be pretty bullshit if allowed to be too strong

My comment was somewhere along the lines of "BUFF CORKI OR ELSE."
oh rite

i had a feeling that might've been a gaffer :p

Edwardo

Garath, it was you that was talking with me about jungle Yasuo, right?

I figured since everyone is playing Braum now, I would give it a shot. We won and made them surrender before I could really get going. My items were Elder Lizard, then eventually Hydra. I didnt have the greatest game since I dont jungle different champs too often, but I like the gank opportunities when you have laners with knock ups.

Tbh, I still like him more in lane because I feel like I can get more gold and snowball off my opponent easier. I'll try it some more, but that was my initial impression after the first try.

Type2

yup, for sure he needs a hard look when things like his ult passive just make no sense and just removing the ult passive would hilariously be a net buff to him

i dunno how minor it could be, blitz's kit is fun but can be pretty bullshit if allowed to be too strong

oh rite

i had a feeling that might've been a gaffer :p

I mean if his core identity is the hook the kit flows pretty well besides the passive. I would rather he have a higher cooldown/more useful ult and a redone passive than anything else.
Q>E synergy and W to catch stuff/reposition is fine.

unfortunately people just isn't very good at disengaging

if your team's pushing you should never trust them to be smart about it because hard engage is very hard to deal with when you're outnumbered

but also people don't know when to you know, chill and stop pressuring while you're finishing up that ga, so i dunno, it's very hard to make decisions lategame
Nah it was nothing like that. We weren't about to push anywhere yet. The team was standing at the foot of where our T3 mid was, between the base entrance and the first jungle openings on your way to the river. I was top lane clearing a wave then backed to get my last item. The enemy showed up and they started playing the tootsies game. Mexican Standoff style. J4 apparently liked what he saw and jumped in as I walk past the nexus on the way to them. Even with the home guard active, I couldn't get there fast enough to save them. We weren't pushing and they weren't initiating. They were just looking at each other mid right at our base until J4 yolo's. Waiting literally 6 seconds and the game ends differently. Oh well.

drawkcaB

I can see this. People are getting better and the moba genre in general is getting more widespread. I suspect they lowered the bar just a touch too when they went from elo to the tier setup. But almost 75% of the population is still bronze and silver. Makes sense.

Not feeling too special smack dab in the middle of Gold anymore lol.

I'm actually kinda confused by all of this. I always thought ranks were done on a sliding bell curve or sorts, as in even if the overall play of the community improved, Gold represented top ~10% no matter what, but I guess that's obviously not the case in either season.

On a sidenote: if you're still adapting to the PvP nature of the game as you call it, try playing some Dominion in between bouts of Summoner's Rift. It's a simpler game mode (without it being mindnumbing like ARAM) and if anything, you'll pick up much faster how to position your champion, when to be aggressive with trades et cetera. Twisted Treeline also isn't too shabby.

Thanks for the tip! I've been playing Summoner's Rift exclusively, and got spanked pretty badly very early on in Twisted Treeline, but I might be better at it now. Never played Dominion, but I'll give a try and see how it works out.

drawkcaB

yo disclaimer i dunno if any of those stats are accurate

Yeah, maybe? The last few games I played and used lolnexus it provided me with recommended builds of recent pro/high level games and there's some win% stats to go with it, but the quoted win% (grabbed from op.gg) varied quite a bit from lolking and lolbuilder.

AdmiralMikey said:
Thanks for the tip! I've been playing Summoner's Rift exclusively, and got spanked pretty badly very early on in Twisted Treeline, but I might be better at it now. Never played Dominion, but I'll give a try and see how it works out.

Despite all the flack it gets Dominion is a great tool to learn how a champion acts in champ v. champ fights. XP and gold gains are pretty much even for all players so even if you go HAM you won't fuck yourself over like you would doing that with a champ you aren't experienced with in SR.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't buy this line of reasoning because snowballing in prior seasons could easily result from a few mistakes. So it's not mistakes over a 20 minute period, it's one or two which could result in large advantages for the remainder of the game. I can't speak of others, but I'd rather a team game be decided in the teamfighting portion of the match, which means I'd rather late game plays/mistakes have a bigger influence that early game plays/mistakes.
I understand, but I think some people would disagree with your preference. Certain champions may be much more tailored to teamfights than others. Teamfights in particular might come down to pseudorandom odds about which team screws up positioning or engages, leading to even more dependency on teammates on a pure solo queue game mode, leading to the problematic results and toxic environment others have already mentioned.

And let's not lose sight of reality here either. Winning in the early game (first tower, first dragon) is still translating to something like a 70+% win rate in soloQ.
What's the source on the tower/dragon statistic? I have seen those numbers for competitive/LCS games, but not solo queue.

As I wrote in my edit, I think a huge part of the problem is a perception thing. Games aren't lasting significantly longer, but key moment of the match has been moved to the late game (i.e. 1-2 player derping in late game per your example) from the early game (snowballing lanes) and it makes losing harder, you don't have much time to resign yourself to the loss the way you do when a game is decided at the 15-20 minute mark. Even in real life sports, is it not pretty much a universal truth that it's harder to accept a loss that was decided by the last play than one that was decided by the half?

Would players be happier just sitting back and relaxing by the 15 minute mark because it's obvious who's going to win? Maybe.
It might be an improvement. I would love if games could give the IP they do now, but took no more than 15-20 minutes. There could be a more relaxed environment since you don't have to dedicate 45+ minutes to what can feel like a lost cause. This probably won't happen in part because Riot has a vested interest in not giving people IP too quickly so they can easily get champions/runes, and I'm guessing Riot also likes the current time required per game.

Even in GAF games, I was in an inhouse recently that lasted 45+ minutes. I think we were losing jungle and 1-2 lanes even from early on, yet we managed to farm and defend that long. I think one or two of the defending players on my team, on voicechat, repeatedly tried to do a surrender vote, said on mic that there was no chance (the game might have gone on 15-20 minutes after the first time they said this), the game was basically over, we should have surrendered already, they don't want to drag this out for an hour, etc.

In other GAF inhouse(s), when it is very lopsided it can result in a surrender after say, 22 minutes.

So overall, I would guess that a substantial portion of the playerbase WOULD like shorter games instead of a marathon that leads to anger, exhaustion, and extra bitterness.

Dominion, not even once!

drawkcaB

I understand, but I think some people would disagree with your preference. Certain champions may be much more tailored to teamfights than others. Teamfights in particular might come down to pseudorandom odds about which team screws up positioning or engages, leading to even more dependency on teammates on a pure solo queue game mode, leading to the problematic results and toxic environment others have already mentioned.

Lanes are pseudo-random odds too though. Matchmaking isn't checking to see if the two top laners are evenly matched for example. I would be nice to see it were actually possible to track toxicity in pure numbers form, because my own experience is that there's less of it now than before. If a laner was feeding someone early on I'd start to see shit being flung in all-chat well before the 10 minute mark. At least now my teammates are shitting on each other later into the match.

What's the source on the tower/dragon statistic? I have seen those numbers for competitive/LCS games, but not solo queue.

Wish I could recall correctly. It was around the same time that Zileas handed out the average match length info, but I can't recall the source (it wasn't one of those LCS infographics you're referring to).

It might be an improvement. I would love if games could give the IP they do now, but took no more than 15-20 minutes. There could be a more relaxed environment since you don't have to dedicate 45+ minutes to what can feel like a lost cause. This probably won't happen in part because Riot has a vested interest in not giving people IP too quickly so they can easily get champions/runes, and I'm guessing Riot also likes the current time required per game.

I'd like to see the IP win bonus and first win of the day bonuses done with and redistributed so losing and winning provide the same amount of IP. Seems like an unnecessary aggravation for players who might find themselves on tilt but trying to save up for the latest champion, or whatever. Among motivations for players to do their best I expect IP is pretty damn low on the list.

Type2

The problem with how the game curves now is yes you can wait it out and be patient when losing. The odds of the enemy making a pick or executing a perfect dive aren't that high if you play smart and farm up. In ranked I'll fight until the bloody end for this reason but those long games are exhausting. It's the same for the team that's winning it becomes such a grind if you can't get coordinated with winning lanes.

garath

Woo. There's a note on the league website about Dragonslayers. I bet the skins are out now.

Incoming Pantheon spam. Going to be a struggle to get to play him at all :(

IsayFever

Day 3, still doing placements. Going pretty well. Keep getting carry roles and carrying hard. Much heimerdinger has been played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom