• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT6| My AP Mid Can't Be This Cute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einbroch

Banned
i'm not saying it's not a good deal

i'm saying i don't want to have to work to get the skins

i just want them right now

You don't have to.

Unlocking the compendium gets you (translated to League terms/equivalents):

• IP Booster for ~2 months
  • Loading screens
  • A new HUD
  • A free skin
  • A free ward skin
By doing nothing. Just buying it.

Rito could do something like this:

Stretch Goal Rewards

$1,250,000 - Lifetime RP Rewards
$1,500,000 - Awesome awards ceremony for Worlds
$1,800,000 - Replays
$2,000,000 - Summoner Rift VU
$2,500,000 - Magma Chamber
$3,000,000 - New Ultimate Skin
$3,500,000 - Ao Shin
$4,000,000 - Nidalee Splash arts
$4,500,000 - All old splash arts updated
$5,000,000 - Brush and minimap bug fixed
$6,000,000 - New East Coast Servers for NA
$7,000,000 - New Client
$8,000,000 - EU Fixed

Only 7 million for the new client!

I'm sure I'm forgetting about many other things.

zkylon

zkylewd
I guess masteries/runes + farming ip for champs is less complicated.
rly dude?

You don't have to.

Unlocking the compendium gets you (translated to League terms/equivalents):

• IP Booster for ~2 months
  • Loading screens
  • A new HUD
  • A free skin
  • A free ward skin
By doing nothing. Just buying it.
ok maybe they explained it to me wrong

16:49 - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar: lemme tell how the compendium works
16:49 - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar: then you'll understand
16:49 - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar: basically, your compendium has levels
16:49 - zkylon: is it like steam levels
16:49 - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar: and after every 10 levels you'll get a guaranteed immortal set from valve
16:49 - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar: here's the money making part
16:49 - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar: you can buy points to lvl up your compendium faster
16:49 - zkylon: you gain levels by spending on shit
16:49 - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar: $$$$$$$

he then tells me about predictions and crap but like that sounds to me like you buy compendium and you're missing on immortal set thingie if you don't do the grind/watch games/spend money

is that not true?

Stretch Goal Rewards

$1,800,000 - Replays
$3,500,000 - Ao Shin
$7,000,000 - New Client
$8,000,000 - EU Fixed

I'm sure I'm forgeting about many other things.
$10,000,000 - scarf lux

Einbroch

Banned
he then tells me about predictions and crap but like that sounds to me like you buy compendium and you're missing on immortal set thingie if you don't do the grind/watch games/spend money

is that not true?
You can totally do that stuff if you want. You still get a skin if you just buy the compendium. You can get MORE skins if you play the game, watch matches, or complete challenges. Or you can just buy EXP for it, which will give you a new skin for every $10 you spend, in addition to other rewards.

But I don't do any of that stuff. I buy the compendium, open my skins, and just play. I don't watch the matches or "grind", I just play normally and let the chips fall where they fall. It's still completely worth it. It's like buying a skin and a ward skin, plus getting an IP booster, HUD, and any extra rewards I stumble upon for free.

zkylon

zkylewd
i dunno, i still would rather just buy the exact skin i want and be done with it, if i want an ip boost i just buy that and if i want a ward skin i just want that, i don't like bundles.

i actually almost bought the compendium thingie when i thought it was evenly split among players and volvo but between that and all the weird level shit i thought ehhh, it's not like i was gonna make use of any of the things in it but it felt like it'd be cool adding to the prize pool

Leezard

Man, some dota people seem to love grinding and rng.

Now, let's get back on topic. I played a teambuilder game to try out braum a bit more and I got matched with so low ranked guys I don't know what happens. The separate mmr for teambuilder is painful. :(

Einbroch

Banned
i dunno, i still would rather just buy the exact skin i want and be done with it, if i want an ip boost i just buy that and if i want a ward skin i just want that, i don't like bundles.

i actually almost bought the compendium thingie when i thought it was evenly split among players and volvo but between that and all the weird level shit i thought ehhh, it's not like i was gonna make use of any of the things in it but it felt like it'd be cool adding to the prize pool

Riot wouldn't do it like Valve, if they did it at all. I'm sure they'd just bundle a couple of unique skins for commonly played champions, an IP booster, and a ward skin for something like $15 and call it a day. Maybe they'd make it so you can pick out a summoner icon for your favorite team, and if they win, you get a little special icon like what they did with the Lunar Revel.

I wish they would. It drums up a ton of excitement.

Leezard

Man... I really hate Pantheon. I wish there was something you could do about his ult :/

Did they fix the bug that got introduced this patch? The one where his ult took 2.5 sec to drop after the circle appears.

And yeah, a good panth can be tough. Deep wards are necessary in laning.

Ocho

rly dude?

You are forgetting the point that by buying this thing they are increasing the prize pool for the tournament, thus supporting esports. You are getting more than $10 dollars of value and if you can't see the value of that because its 'too complicated', god bless.

Stretch Goal Rewards

$1,800,000 - Replays
$3,500,000 - Ao Shin
$7,000,000 - New Client
$8,000,000 - EU Fixed

I'm sure I'm forgetting about many other things.

$15,000,00 - End of season rewards for everyone.

zkylon

zkylewd
Riot wouldn't do it like Valve, if they did it at all. I'm sure they'd just bundle a couple of unique skins for commonly played champions, an IP booster, and a ward skin for something like $15 and call it a day. Maybe they'd make it so you can pick out a summoner icon for your favorite team, and if they win, you get a little special icon like what they did with the Lunar Revel.

I wish they would. It drums up a ton of excitement.
yeah that doesn't sound so bad

it's mostly the leveling thing that annoys me cos i don't like knowing i'm missing out on stuff

Man... I really hate Pantheon. I wish there was something you could do about his ult :/

best thing you can do against him is set up deep wards if you're in a role capable of doing so (mid, jungle and support mostly).

like go to the brush behind wraiths, places like that give you a bunch of vision to help predict when he's gonna jump ya

garath

You seem to hate a lot of champs :)

His ult is hugely telegraphed. If not for the pre-16 poor range, Nocturne's ult would be superior in almost every way.

Especially right now it's bugged and takes a second longer to land, it's pretty easy to just walk out of range.

edit: that said, you need to play a little smarter when his ult is up. It's really easy to ult bot lane if they are pushed up at all. It's narrow and with a halfway decent bot lane, they'll collapse right as your circle becomes visable. However, a deep ward or two and/or just playing closer to turret will save you pretty much every time. A smart Pantheon won't mandrop directly on a turret for awhile.

Leezard

You are forgetting the point that by buying this thing they are increasing the prize pool for the tournament, thus supporting esports. You are getting more than $10 dollars of value and if you can't see the value of that because its 'too complicated', god bless.

If only valve would not pocket 3 quarters of the money that is marketed as going towards the prize pool.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm not forgetting it dude

in the post you quoted i already said i don't like the 75-25 split

like cmon dude, don't be fooled. it's 2 fucking 50 dollars that go to the players, you're paying for the skins.

and if the skins have some weird leveling thing to them then i don't like it

i'm not saying it's bad, i'm saying i don't like it and i would rather i could just pay 10 bucks straight away, get my skin and move on with my life

jeez

Ocho

If only valve would not pocket 3 quarters of the money that is marketed as going towards the prize pool.

Well, they are 'expanding' their game with that money, thus the stretch goals. It's a business after all, but yes, a higher cut would be better. It's better than nothing, tho. The compendium would even sell solely for the extras.

I don't play a lot of Dota to know for how much the skins + courier + HUD + ip boost would cost, but I estimate over $20? Riot would sell that bundle for $45 bucks.

Well, they are 'expanding' their game with that money, thus the stretch goals. It's a business after all, but yes, a higher cut would be better. It's better than nothing, tho. The compendium would even sell solely for the extras.

I don't play a lot of Dota to know for how much the skins + courier + HUD + ip boost would cost, but I estimate over $20? Riot would sell that bundle for $45 bucks.
Dota skins are far, far more expensive than LoL's

A skin that would cost 10 bucks in LoL goes for over 30 in Dota

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't think it's specially better, it's safe to bet that rito will put down like 5mil for s4wc and it's also really obvious valve could easily put that extra prizemoney themselves, so yeah it's nice but in the end it's the people doing valve's work for them.

like if you think about it, whenever you're buying skins in leeg it also goes to the prize money right?

like it's cool that it's bundled with all this ip boost and skins crap that's for sure but it's not like valve is being super generous or anything

rito doesn't overcharge that hard, specially these days, i dunno why you think they'd ask 45 bucks for that. like a couple years ago i'd agree.

like some things are questionable, like ward skins for 640 seems too high for me, but most skins are pretty reasonably priced and some of them are a steal at 975.

really? from what i've seen most like item sets are like 12 bucks or something, but i haven't checked too hard

Leezard

League does have the esports team summoner icons you can buy to support the esports. I think a third or so of the money goes to the team and the rest to esports. It's not made to be such a big deal though.

apparently that pantheon bug was actually an intended nerf they just forgot to tell people about.

so yeah

by the skin at your own risk because he's nerfed

Riot would sell that bundle for $45 bucks.

like I realise that's pure hyperbole but come on.

It would be a pretty similar price and the quality of Riot's skins in relation to their cost are far higher than what you get for your money in Dota 2, as someone who's bought Dota 2 items
HOW COULD I NOT BUY SOMETHING CALLED THE LLAMA LLAMA!?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk

Joke?

Dota skins are $4-8 with some $12-15 skins and Arcanas being $35

You can also get skins for a fraction of their store price via the community market.

League does have the esports team summoner icons you can buy to support the esports. I think a third or so of the money goes to the team and the rest to esports. It's not made to be such a big deal though.

20%, which is less than what Valve gives.

Leezard

20%, which is less than what Valve gives.
No no no. 100% goes towards esports, as opposed to valves 25% to esports 75% to valve.
Thanks for correcting me on the split though, 20% goes to the specific team you chose and 80% towards general esports.

Einbroch

Banned

Have you checked lately? A few months back they dropped set prices from $12 to $3. Only Arcana skins (which are equivalent to Ultimate skins) are $30. They also made it so that entire sets drop from chests now, and those are $2.49. That said, fuck the randomness from chests.

Plus you can buy the sets on the Marketplace for under a buck.

But this is totally off-topic.

zkylon

zkylewd
No no no. 100% goes towards esports, as opposed to valves 25% to esports 75% to valve.
Thanks for correcting me on the split though, 20% goes to the team and 80% towards general esports.

lol dam

anyways who gives a fuck, have some zeronis vi art

vpc.jpg

vi dev blog: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/gameplay/dev-blog-vision-violence-vis-creation

seems interesting

Samus Aran
really? from what i've seen most like item sets are like 12 bucks or something, but i haven't checked too hard
It varies a lot. There's cheap, cool looking stuff yes, but it's all slight model changes or incomplete costumes.

I'm talking comparatively, I'm not saying that Dota skins are overpriced - maybe just the Arcana skins - or not worth it.

Jeff-DSA

Just got told I was playing a "sad champion" (Akali) by a Nid who didn't land one spear until 9:10 into the game.

Pot kettle black?

In post game chat I had to listen to a salty Fiddlesticks player that I dominated with Kat. He sat and told me that Kat can't get her own kills and needs to be fed. Even if that was true (totally not with Katarina), all it would mean is that I played her as intended and did well.

Leezard

Have you checked lately? A few months back they dropped set prices from $12 to $3. Only Arcana skins (which are equivalent to Ultimate skins) are $30. They also made it so that entire sets drop from chests now, and those are $2.49. That said, fuck the randomness from chests.

Plus you can buy the sets on the Marketplace for under a buck.

But this is totally off-topic.

So Arcanas have new voiceovers?

I wasn't aware they lowered the price.

Yeah, I was going by the last time I had checked where the skin prices were fucking ridiculous. 5 bucks on a shitty Krobelus skirt, fuck off, my waifuing has standards.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's sad they ended up adding her the dumb tutu skirt thing that wasn't in the concept art

also i like armor better than corset thingie

i don't like that at all :p

yes but he has now corrected himself (at least on twitter) saying it was an undocumented change the designer forgot to put in.
what's the actual panth bug tho

like not being able to cast spells while landing or whole thing taking longer?

hopefully not both

I don't think that's even comparable to SGU.

Spirit Guard Udyr is just under $25 of Riot points, and has 5 animation sets, 9 models, 113 new voice lines, 4 summoner icons and banners and 5 splash arts

if you're telling me that item set costs $35 then...

I dunno man. The quality isn't even close.

Ocho

i don't think it's specially better, it's safe to bet that rito will put down like 5mil for s4wc and it's also really obvious valve could easily put that extra prizemoney themselves, so yeah it's nice but in the end it's the people doing valve's work for them.

5 million prize pool for World Championship? That would be awesome but I don't see it happening. Isn't 5 million what they use right now the entire season?

like if you think about it, whenever you're buying skins in leeg it also goes to the prize money right?

Fair point. However, I prefer the transparency of the whole thing.

It would be interesting to compare how much Riot and Valve make from their respective games and how much % they use for esports.

like it's cool that it's bundled with all this ip boost and skins crap that's for sure but it's not like valve is being super generous or anything

rito doesn't overcharge that hard, specially these days, i dunno why you think they'd ask 45 bucks for that. like a couple years ago i'd agree.

like some things are questionable, like ward skins for 640 seems too high for me, but most skins are pretty reasonably priced and some of them are a steal at 975.

I think couriers are like $15. It is a generous bundle. I still believe Riot would sell it for 45+
if you don't own the champions

Spirit Guard Udyr is just under $25 of Riot points, and has 5 animation sets, 9 models, 113 new voice lines, 4 summoner icons and banners and 5 splash arts

For comparison's sake, Arcana Slayer is basically the default model with burning hair and slightly more detailed ability animations. Oh and you get a new mini map icon, skill icons and HUD portrait.

Yeah, 35 bucks.

DeadNames

Banned
You seem to hate a lot of champs :)

His ult is hugely telegraphed. If not for the pre-16 poor range, Nocturne's ult would be superior in almost every way.

Especially right now it's bugged and takes a second longer to land, it's pretty easy to just walk out of range.

edit: that said, you need to play a little smarter when his ult is up. It's really easy to ult bot lane if they are pushed up at all. It's narrow and with a halfway decent bot lane, they'll collapse right as your circle becomes visable. However, a deep ward or two and/or just playing closer to turret will save you pretty much every time. A smart Pantheon won't mandrop directly on a turret for awhile.

I know, but god damn it's annoying.

Just had the HEAVIEST bot lane. Couldn't carry :/

Einbroch

Banned

Arcana sets are complete ripoffs. I just answered the question about the voiceovers.

I meant that they were Valve's version of Ultimate skins.

zkylon

zkylewd
5 million prize pool for World Championship? That would be awesome but I don't see it happening. Isn't 5 million what they use right now the entire season?
i dunno maybe i'm being over optimistic but last year was 2 and i'm sure they'll want to keep up with doto

we'll see, maybe i really overshot it but it doesn't seem too far fetched to me

Fair point. However, I prefer the transparency of the whole thing.

It would be interesting to compare how much Riot and Valve make from their respective games and how much % they use for esports.
well i think i see what you mean but i actually see the transparency thing differently

to me valve is saying "support esports!" and then taking most of the money, while riot doesn't say anything and just spends on it whatever they please

in valve's case i feel like they're being manipulative while riot is just not making too much of a big deal about it

and yeah it would be really interesting to see how much % they use on esports. i know rito has said a bunch of times esports is just losing money for them but i guess it must work out for them some way or another or tencent wouldn't be too happy

I think couriers are like $15. It is a generous bundle. I still believe Riot would sell it for 45+
if you don't own the champions
yeah, i dunno, maybe you're right, there's not really much precedent about this stuff i think. like skin+champ bundles i think are fair priced but i would never buy them as i don't really want half of the things they come with.

and like maybe i'm wrong but 15 seems too much for couriers since you only see them for like 2 seconds every game :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom