• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT6| My AP Mid Can't Be This Cute

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Dota there's actual height to terrain. So if you stand on high ground your shots go farther, if you're on low ground they can actually hit terrain. Vision is also imparied due to it. Someone can go up a flight of stairs and you'll lose sight of them.
no, i know this

but like, is the map tilted so purple side is always on high terrain?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm surprised someone didn't make a new thread. It's kind of a big deal.

Ferrio, please, I beg of you. "Of" is not a verb.

"Players should fight their opponents, not the game. We strive to present information in a clear and precise way so that League can be about dominating opponents with skill and teamwork – not through bookkeeping hidden information."

yo show me scaling on skills when i dont have a point to spend
One step closer to my "visible team gold in scoreboard" request!

edit: velkoz is super fun but to me feels like a pretty poorly designed champion. he doesn't feel like he can ever be competitive cos his entire kit is just so weird, kinda like viktor. but like i've played against a diamond velkoz that rekked my shit at like level 4 when i was playing lebonk so his skillfloor might be is pretty high and the reward may be worth it if you want to put in the time. at least he's fun, unlike fucking ziggs
After putting some time into him, I feel Vel'koz his kit is fine outside of the fact that he'll need be looked after by his teammates somewhat, akin to Kog'maw. Just a high skill cap champion and very much reliant on good positioning instead of being clunky like Viktor.

Welp, now you guys know what I've been working on for the past... forever!
Hope you guys like it! I'll be scanning this thread for direct feedback periodically.
Pass the memo for Dominion ranked please.

In all seriousness: where did the merchant from the current Summoner's Rift go? He's a loveable little rascal.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's not an issue with Dota 2, no.

i love how there's always like 6 doters lurking every league thread ready to state doto superiority whenever questioned :p

do you guys take shifts or something so you're covered at all times?

After putting some time into him, I feel Vel'koz his kit is fine outside of the fact that he'll need be looked after by his teammates somewhat, akin to Kog'maw. Just a high skill cap champion and very much reliant on good positioning instead of being clunky like Viktor.
yea maybe poorly designed was too harsh

also i think you meant "velkoz's kit", not "vel'koz his kit" btw

you know, just being a correcting bitch like someone i know :3

I'll make a thread.

We'll see how this goes.
ready your weapons friends

drawkcaB

PBE said:
•Crystal Slash ( Q ) damage increased to 20/32/44/56/68 from 20/30/40/50/60
•Crystalline Exoskeleton ( W ) cooldown reduced to 13/12.5/12/11.5/11 from 13 at all ranks

After futzing around with PBE Skarner a bit yesterday...sweeeeeeet.

CrabMilkMikey said:
In all seriousness: where did the merchant from the current Summoner's Rift go? He's a loveable little rascal.

Unable to compete with the new Walrus guy in the rough cutthroat retail market of Summoner's Rift.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
i love how there's always like 6 doters lurking every league thread ready to state doto superiority whenever questioned :p

do you guys take shifts or something so you're covered at all times?
You asked a question, he gave an answer.

I don't really know how the fixed camera position affects the view in League and why Dota doesn't have the same problem between Dire and Radiant.

zkylon

zkylewd
Technically it would be "Vel'koz' kit" if I didn't resort to "his!"
you know i wanted to make sure since english is not my first language so i tried to think of an english word that ended with a z. that took a while but i finally came up with fez

went to wikipedia and found this line "Fez's puzzles are built around the core mechanic of rotating between four 2D views of a 3D space, as four sides around a cube, where the environment realigns between views to create new paths."

so you know, i'm not sure technically which one's right but you can't say i didn't do my homework :p

You asked a question, he gave an answer.

I don't really know how the fixed camera position affects the view in League and why Dota doesn't have the same problem between Dire and Radiant.
question was rhetorical tho, like in that same post i'm literally saying doto doesn't have the issue. why is the actual question i was hoping anyone could maybe answer

anyways i always find it suspect when i get an answer like that (which isn't a useful explanation but just a straight out "no") out of somebody i don't know, that's all

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Came here to do drive-by gloating; see other people already took care of it.
People on Blue side see more of Purple than vice versa. I made a grafick the last time this came up:
ibqKzs7L3vkHaV.png
Blue sees somewhere in the neighborhood of 12% more of Purple in a typical situation.

In DOTA2, it's about 7%.

Radiant and Dire sides also aren't symmetrical across the river, and the differences are far more significant than Purple vs Blue.

Radiant:
Better mid block
Accessible jungle camps near mid
Camera advantage
Easier to farm Ancients

Dire:
Safer Jungle overall (resistant to warding)
Better access to rosh
Easier to stack Ancients

radvsdire.png

In practice, Radiant actually has a huge advantage over Dire, but only in the early game. As the game approaches 45 minutes, Dire gets better and better due to Rosh access. The win rates fortunately average out to the neighborhood of 1:1, so no one really complains.

Nome

Came here to do drive-by gloating; see other people already took care of it.

People on Blue side see more of Purple than vice versa. I made a grafick the last time this came up:

Blue sees somewhere in the neighborhood of 12% more of Purple in a typical scenario situation.

In DOTA2, it's about 7%.

Radiant and Dire sides also aren't symmetric across the river, and the differences are far more significant than Purple vs Blue.

Radiant:
Better Mid Block
Accessible jungle camps near mid
Camera advantage

Dire:
Safer Jungle overall (resistant to warding)
Better access to rosh
Bot ancient farming

radvsdire.png

In practice, Radiant actually has a huge advantage over Dire, but only in the early game. As the game approaches 45 minutes, Dire gets better and better due to Rosh access. The win rates fortunately average out to the neighborhood of 1:1, so no one really complains.
Good analysis Haly, and this is indeed the crux of the issues between the sides (not map differences). Our camera adjustments do a *bit* to solve for this, but they're not going to fix the issue outright.

Haly

I'd like to point out one more thing, which is that the camera issues in League is compounded by the snowbally nature of the current meta. When victory often boils down to pure numerical superiority, a difference in camera perspective becomes much more significant than it would in a game like DOTA2, which is more volatile and tiny differences are mitigated by the importance of tactics and strategy.

Every advantage, ironically, matters more in League, than it does in DOTA2.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Can the ADC still do Golems on bottom lane, or did they fix that with different spawn timers?

I kind of hate how they try for a perfectly symmetrical map in LoL

Ocho

Man, the VU is fantastic. Yesterday I was criticizing how bad current blue golem looks, and how I hope they update him in the map's VU. Now, we need this map for worlds. People need to spectate this map this season.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Can the ADC still do Golems on bottom lane, or did they fix that with different spawn timers?
Not before the start of the game. By the time they're up and can kill them you'd miss a bunch of minions. Having that in the game was horrible though. What a strange thing to be nostalgic for.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Not before the start of the game. By the time they're up and can kill them you'd miss a bunch of minions. Having that in the game was horrible though. What a strange thing to be nostalgic for.
I'm not nostalgic for it, but I like how it changed the game. It made the ADC and Support for Purple side go top instead of bottom and had an interesting 1v2 1v1 2v1 lane setup that allowed for rotations, which of course got changed because Riot hates fun.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm not nostalgic for it, but I like how it changed the game. It made the ADC and Support for Purple side go top instead of bottom and had an interesting 1v2 1v1 2v1 lane setup that allowed for rotations, which of course got changed because Riot hates fun.

?

this still happens all the time in competitive. in fact nowadays it's happening often that teams are letting adcs solo lane while supports go help top laners and there's a lot of weird 2 early jungling into 4v1/4v0 going on

1v2 lanes didn't start because of the Golem changes.

Also 1v2 lanes are far from fun. And they're still around.

zkylon

zkylewd
is there a reason the camera couldn't be rotated 180° when you are on purple side so both teams would have the same orientation?

i'm pretty sure the current map isn't properly optimized (stuff obscuring your view, maybe weird pathfinding? who knows) for something like that

maybe with the visual update?

Nome

Haly

wait are you telling me 5% more vision is that impactful?

Can't think of any other explanation:

http://www.leagueofgraphs.com/rankings/blue-vs-purple

Classic Game
Blue Team Winrate: 53.2%
Purple Team Winrate: 46.8%

ARAM
Blue Team Winrate: 54.7%
Purple Team Winrate: 45.3%

Dominion
Blue Team Winrate: 51.7%
Purple Team Winrate: 48.3%

It can't be coincidence that the one map with Left-Right symmetry has a more even ratio than Bottom Left-Top Right symmetry. Note how when you remove Baron, Dragon, Jungle, all that stuff from the game as in ARAM, the win rate difference shoots up to 9.4%.
You haven't played it recently, then?

I check out LCS from time to time. I see Dual pistols guy, Thresh, Zyra, Zygg, a few others whose names slip my mind. No kills happening until 15 minutes in.

I'm not certain what's happening in these games exactly because I don't play it anymore, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with making your numbers go up, particularly the number that indicates Gold.

zkylon

zkylewd
ok that seems right

so if that 5% vision difference is the bigger source of the problem, why not just tilt it a bit?

no need to do any fancy 180° shit, just tilt it so that it helps purple side a bit. not even 5% BETTER, just like 2% or something. it can't be THAT bad in "experience" and it could be potentially amazing for the game

nome, why are you still so concerned if most of the issue lies in just camera angle? like prepare this new map for a new camera angle, rotate it and be done with it

i bet people would be initially annoyed but most will agree that it's worth it

Ocho

I have no issues with the current camera angle. I know how to use my mouse. How much does the tilt affect competitive play (LCS, etc)? I'm willing to bet it's almost negligible and it's more about dragon/baron/buff layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom