• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT6| My AP Mid Can't Be This Cute

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Okay I thought they were trying to catch the enemy jungler 2v1 so the only way for the other team to counter was to copy it.

How many top lane matchups are that screwed up? Seems like Shyvana is in every game but usually Kayle is a midlaner. What champs are currently hot for top lane?
well it's usually not just top lane

like most games you'll see something like this also cos lucian or twitch are in every game and no one wants to lane against them, so they'll force a 2v0 cos they have kogmaw or jinx or something like that and they'll just get super punished in lane

in other cases like clg or c9 they force it cos they're very confident in their rotations and not so confident on their skills, while like star-filled teams like tsm (tho that's kinda questionable nowadays lol) tries their hardest to get the 1v1s.

edit: to answer your question tho, there's a lot of jax and trundle too. can't think of many more, balls like playing rumble, ackerman renekton and innox khazix but those are less common picks. ryze i think died out a bit

Ocho

After losing three promotions, falling down to 0 LP Plat II, here I am again. Hold me God.

5FKiGmb.png

Azulsky

The sudden popularity of Twitch in LCS is interesting. Must be due to the state of the other AD's because he hasnt been number changed for a long time according to lolwiki. I remember a few players used to play him last year in LCS but that must have been the era of blue Ezrael if i remember correctly.

I see Corki gets picked but no one is winning on that, the other AD picks are Sivir, then a random Kog or Caitlyn. I guess Kog is due to him being buffed recently with the W mana removed and the Q changes?

Sorry just trying to catch up havent played since D3 expansion came out, but i was able to sever that addiction for a while at least.

Leezard

The sudden popularity of Twitch in LCS is interesting. Must be due to the state of the other AD's because he hasnt been number changed for a long time according to lolwiki. I remember a few players used to play him last year in LCS but that must have been the era of blue Ezrael if i remember correctly.

I see Corki gets picked but no one is winning on that, the other AD picks are Sivir, then a random Kog or Caitlyn. I guess Kog is due to him being buffed recently with the W mana removed and the Q changes?

Sorry just trying to catch up havent played since D3 expansion came out, but i was able to sever that addiction for a while at least.

The rune changes really helped Twitch.

Subtle

I see Corki gets picked but no one is winning on that, the other AD picks are Sivir, then a random Kog or Caitlyn. I guess Kog is due to him being buffed recently with the W mana removed and the Q change?

Twitch saw some play last season too, up until the Expunge, or now Contaminate nerfs. He can enter late game hyper carry mode with ease now. Also Sivir isn't really picked anymore after the nerfs. Idk about the corki. Not in love with him

zkylon

zkylewd
kog and twitch are being picked cos heal+mikaels everygame along with defensive supports and supportive mids being popular makes them very easy to protect

like no leona, no vi, no super strong renektons, they love that

u know, among other reasons

Brutalx2

I read in lolwiki that there are classes to champions: support, tank, mage, assassin and marksman.
My question is what are the pros and cons for each class? I personally love mages, in mmo games.

Mandoric

Banned
Well, no speed boost for you mister

don't remind me of how much fun it was to shurelia's reverie + maxed e and propel my team straight down mid to victory ; ;

I read in lolwiki that there are classes to champions: support, tank, mage, assassin and marksman.
My question is what are the pros and cons for each class? I personally love mages, in mmo games.

In League they're more descriptive suggestions/advance notice of where balance tweaks are going to be aimed.
In the order you mentioned, supports have other-target buff abilities and/or abilities that don't scale as much with items
tank also doesn't usually scale as much with items, but tends toward self-buff, aoe on self, and high natural defense/health
mage tends toward damage potential in abilities, especially ones that scale a lot with Ability Power items
assassin tends toward single-target heavily damaging but expensive/long cd abilities
marksman tends towards high base damage or attack speed plus a mobility ability or two
and fighter also focuses on base damage potential, but has a shorter range and more durability
and jungler is similar to assassin, but with more durability and less mobility

These are really mutable in practice though. Most supports can built mage-y or tanky or both, tanks/fighter/junglers can mostly be shoehorned into the other roles, every once in a while a build gets found that makes a support a viable marksman or a mage a viable support, etc.

Newt

Marksman have really high and consistent damage, but they are really easy to kill and need good positioning and protection to stay alive.

Tanks have medium damage, medium level crowd control and good survivability, but they can fall off in effectiveness late-game.

Mages usually have strong area of effect damage along with crowd control effects, but they have long cooldowns on spells giving them a downtime. Survivability is low, but higher than marksman.

Assassins are similar to mages, but their damage is single target focused and their cc isn't as strong usually. They also have fairly low survivability, but usually higher than mages because of their mobility.

Supports have the best area of effect crowd control, but their damage is usually slightly lower than mages. Some supports are also tanks. I'd say most supports have decent survivability.

Subtle

The champions that pertain to each class are varied so its hard to give pros and cons for the classes since they are pretty loosely applied. I'll try I suppose.

Support: high utility, not good without team.
Tank: high cc, good stats, poor damage
Mage: lots of aoe, strong burst, usually ranged, squishy
Assassin: slippery, strong burst, squishy
Marksman: strong ranged sustained damage, squishy

Edit: the wiki has a good page on this. And newt said it waaay better than I did

Brutalx2

Marksman have really high and consistent damage, but they are really easy to kill and need good positioning and protection to stay alive.

Tanks have medium damage, medium level crowd control and good survivability, but they can fall off in effectiveness late-game.

Mages usually have strong area of effect damage along with crowd control effects, but they have long cooldowns on spells giving them a downtime. Survivability is low, but higher than marksman.

Assassins are similar to mages, but their damage is single target focused and their cc isn't as strong usually. They also have fairly low survivability, but usually higher than mages because of their mobility.

Supports have the best area of effect crowd control, but their damage is usually slightly lower than mages. Some supports are also tanks.

Well now I'm confused :/ i guess I'll know better when i try each class right?

Mandoric

Banned
Well now I'm confused :/ i guess I'll know better when i try each class right?

They're not classes proper, just "out of these seven or eight playstyles, what do we think the character tends toward?" You will get a better feel for the different roles on a team as you play more.

Brutalx2

They're not classes proper, just "out of these seven or eight playstyles, what do we think the character tends toward?" You will get a better feel for the different roles on a team as you play more.
So what do you think will make a better champ for a newbie like me?

Fracas

#fuckonami

Looking at the free champs this rotation, Wukong, Annie and Lucian are fairly new player friendly. Wukong's a tanky fighter, Annie's a high burst mage that can stun, and Lucian's a marksman with a lot of burst. They're all fun to play too.

Brutalx2

Now how does it work? You get the champ with starter skills or every skill but lvl 1 weak ones? Sorry for all the questions I want to begin with some kind of idea.

Mandoric

Banned

If you like the MMO mage style of bursting things down with flashy abilities from afar before they can kill you, the "mage" description tends toward that. Annie's free this week, and that's definitely her description, but her use in serious play requires abilities that take a while to unlock. On the other hand, she's also a viable support pick; you just go up the bottom lane with a friend and focus entirely on stunning enemy players whenever they misposition.

Kog'maw is also free right now, and can be built to do that, but a lot of his potential is in right-clicking the right target in bigger engagements, or in reading enemy movement and landing shots with a second or two of lead time.

The difficulty indicator when you click champs in game is very useful, as long as you read it as a measure of mechanical difficulty rather than odds of winning - Sona's a 1 because all of her abilities autohit within range, even though she demands a mastery of footsies to play well these days; on the flip side Nidalee's literally "land your Q that's up every 4 seconds, win the game" but is rated a 7 because she's got a couple seconds of windup/travel time on it and has an alternate melee mode with its own abilities to learn.

Now how does it work? You get the champ with starter skills or every skill but lvl 1 weak ones? Sorry for all the questions I want to begin with some kind of idea.

Each level you pick a skill and upgrade it by one point. At 6, 11, and 16 you have the opportunity to upgrade your "ult" or "R" - it's usually your most powerful ability, but is locked away until further into the game.

However, the particular ability I mentioned for Annie is one of the "summoner spells" you unlock for your account, which are just chosen pregame. As a new player you'll have things like a self-heal, a movement speed boost, etc that you can use once every few minutes; the "serious" Annie strategy relies on a short-range teleport called Flash to leap at the enemy and use her ult.
But if you're a new player, the people you're playing against probably won't have it either.

Just jumping into the tutorial is probably best. The game's full of stuff that we can take forever describing, but it'll only really make sense once you try it for yourself.

At every level, you get a point. You put that point into one of your three skills. At levels 6, 11, and 16, you put a point into your ultimate ability, which is your fourth. There are some champs for which that doesn't hold true, but don't worry about that right now.

Once you get into the game and play the tutorial and all that, you'll know what you're doing.

from the OT (left side):

BdDiP13.png

Basically you earn experience as you play the game which goes towards your character's levels up.

Every time you level up, you earn a point to put into one of your 4 abilities (although your ult can only be upgraded at level 6, 11, and 16). each point will make the ability slightly stronger.

At level 1 in the match you start with 1 point, so you can choose one skill to learn. You learn the rest as you get more points to put in.

You generally pick one skill to max rather than evenly distributing them.

So with Annie, you want to max Q. So at level 1 you can put you first point into Q. You can put your second point at level 2 into W, and your third at level 3 into E. You then put all your points into Q until it's maxed out, except at level 6 you put your point into your ultimate to learn your last skill.

You max your first skill by 9, your second at 13 and your last at 18.

Hope all that wasn't too confusing to you. Join the NeoGAF chat channel in the client and I'm sure people will be willing to play with you to help you learn ^_^

Subtle

You shouldn't worry about the specifics too much. Play the tutorial, and a few bot games and you'll get a feel for the game.

Eknots

Shot in the dark but any NA diamond+ top/mid interested in joining a team for ranked 5s and amateur tournaments pm me if interested

TheFatOne

I really love the idea of ARAM but a lot of the games are just so unbalanced. Last game I played was against all pokes, slows, and poisons. Only one poke on our team. Even though most of the characters were squishy I could never get in close due to the constant barrage of slows, and poisons. ARAM is great for learning how to play offensively though.

Mandoric

Banned
I really love the idea of ARAM but a lot of the games are just so unbalanced. Last game I played was against all pokes, slows, and poisons. Only one poke on our team. Even though most of the characters were squishy I could never get in close due to the constant barrage of slows, and poisons. ARAM is great for learning how to play offensively though.

I used to be completely useless at mechanics (2/1/30 Caitlyn says hello). Then I ARAM-binged. Now I'm slightly less useless, and can still kind of do map awareness even though CV is out of meta!

It's really not an amazing idea for people whose problem isn't an innate lack of aggression, though.

zkylon

zkylewd
the beauty of maining mid is that i always get fun champs in arams

unless i get ziggs

but i'm taking steps to remedy that >:D

Azulsky

You can get bad comps in arams but i wager about 75% of the so called bad comps can overcome the other team.

Every time a friend bitches I always ask "Do you think they would win if the teams were switched?"

The real problem with ARAM is afkers

Mandoric

Banned
You can get bad comps in arams but i wager about 75% of the so called bad comps can overcome the other team.

Every time a friend bitches I always ask "Do you think they would win if the teams were switched?"

The real problem with ARAM is afkers

afk is dealable, it's the people who just seriously bought a champ because it has big tits or heavy armor or an awesome-looking sword, and then get it having never played it, and then fail

lost a 5v4 earlier tonight because we had a Taric who Ed Malphite→right-clicked Malphite→sat there and watched

Subtle

How do you guys even play normals. It'so unfulfilling. What am I fighting for

Edit: out of the 85 champs I own I've only ever played half. I like aram regardless tho

Good luck, Ocho!

I finally got a chance to test out your guys' build order recommendations for Ashe that didn't result in a surrender one way or the other and it turned out alright:

About 4 of those deaths were mid-game to a fed Katarina that was pretty much carrying them. The only issue I ran into was that I didn't catch the enemy Ashe was building into SS quickly enough and she got a farming advantage on me that helped her for a bit. I'll have to keep a closer eye on that because I was playing from behind for a good chunk of the match.

Despite that, being only 890 gold behind wasn't as bad as I expected post-match.

Oh, and One for All Mirror Mode Shaco is the most ridiculous thing ever:

I have no idea what happened there.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
How do you guys even play normals. It'so unfulfilling. What am I fighting for

Edit: out of the 85 champs I own I've only ever played half. I like aram regardless tho

Just for practicing roles you're not used to playing.

Blizzard

Banned
Promotion streak continues.

I've won like 4/5 of my last Rengar games. Lost 2 straight promotions.

Got back to promotions within one game...instant Nidalee pick. Can't dodge game because it's promotions. I died once and did not do well, but Fiddlesticks support died 3+ times early game just walking into range as I pinged back.

Team collectively goes maybe 4 kills to 25-30 deaths, loses nexus in like 25 minutes.

I have not had any recent games REMOTELY that bad outside of promotions. I would agree it's probably whatever mental problem makes you remember the bad games, except that I literally do not lose such lopsided games when not in promotions. My main champion was banned, we had nidalee, we had a yasuo without any knockups, we didn't have any tank, and 2 people were talking in lobby trying to coordinate picks. Just bizarre.

Blizzard

Banned
Second promotion game: Someone first picks my main champion. I don't think this has happened in the last 5-10 games if not more.

Also second promotion game: Someone types "feed time hahaha" and picks another jungler, after the first pick had already taken a jungler.

Blizzard

Banned
Someone dodged to avoid the troll in the second promotion game.

Second attempt at second promotion game, third promotion series: The OTHER team first-picks my main. I haven't seen anyone pick Rengar on the other team, in probably 20+ games. ONLY in promotions.

zkylon

zkylewd
Noup, they said I wasted my 3 refund coins then I told them the champ have changes of her skills she didnt have before so I asked for a refund (one of the special cases they can refund a champ without coins).
hmm

well i'm not really asking for my ip back

i just don't want him in my account

i don't want to pick him by accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom