• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT6| My AP Mid Can't Be This Cute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
i would duo with you but i honestly think rengar is an awful garbage champ whose role as an assassin is much better achieved by fiora/riven.
And I would duo with you but I honestly and respectfully suggest you may have some anger issues. ^^;

Also the last game I played had someone who said they were on a smurf so they didn't care, and they were going to "try" the new kha'zix. They concluded he did no damage, trial was unsuccessful. Also had disconnected ADC and lagging-out mid laner. It almost seems rarer to see games where no one has server problems right now.

Newt

That seems like a mean thing to say -- did you read about how he was harassing and griefing as well? Plus I'm very low silver/bronze, and you're diamond -- isn't it a little different for me?

Rengar is also one of my very few 60+ game champions with >50% win rate. It's down close to 50% now but he's one of the few I do well with.

I don't think he was the one who banned Rengar either, so what do you mean he was doing me a favor? He was a jerk ingame.

I finally got someone to duo with me. Halfway through the game, their girlfriend showed up. SOME DAY I am going to find someone to duo who can play/focus all game. :'(
I didn't see the thing about the guy being a jerk in game. Still, I don't think Rengar is a champ you should be playing if you wanna climb.

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't see the thing about the guy being a jerk in game. Still, I don't think Rengar is a champ you should be playing if you wanna climb.
Probably, but it took so long to get a winning rate with him, I'm scared it would take another month to learn someone else I can consistently get.

drawkcaB

Doublelift's isn't really the go-to player for analysis. This is the same guy that said ADCs were irrelevant at the start of Season 3.

Just got to play two Ziggs game mid (although one I lane swapped with a singed who was vs. a Vel'Koz top). First game vs. Karma was rough. As usual whenever I play purple side solo lane I do poorly. It's weird because I'm used to purple side bot now, but apparently not in the other lanes. Nothing I can do about that other than play more I suppose. Even then I underestimated her level 1-6 particularly as she was running ignite, which was really stupid since I actually play Karma. Second game was ok, nothing special.

Any rate, three games into my mid competition and its obvious I'm not comfortable with the position what-so-ever. I'm way too hesitant even when I'm aware that I have a significant advantage.Any of you guys want to practice mid with me?

Jeff-DSA

Thanks for picking Xerath early, duder. I love a good old fashioned counter pick. Our Udyr was spot on with ganks too.

XfQN2a0.png

Ferrio

Banned
Is Riven still good? I don't think I want to learn her -- average win rates are in the 47% neighborhood it seems like.

No she's not in a very good place right now.

Been playing a lot irelia lately myself, she seems in a good place. Probably even better after the life steal nerfs since she can sustain better than most now.

Riven is a mechanically demanding champion with a pretty high skill cap so yeah her winrate's not gonna be the best. If Riven snowballs or just knows how to animation cancel effectively then she can deal massive damage (see SKT 1K vs KTB/SSO OGN Winter) and annihilate teams.

Ferrio

Banned
Riven is a mechanically demanding champion with a pretty high skill cap so yeah her winrate's not gonna be the best. If Riven snowballs or just knows how to animation cancel effectively then she can deal massive damage (see SKT 1K vs KTB/SSO OGN Winter) and annihilate teams.

When were these matches? I assume before her regen nerfs.

Thing is she has a huge skill cap, but I don't think she gets rewarded much for it, other than you don't totally get squashed.

If you play her, get ready for a long frustrating road. Also you'll be chugging potions like you're playing diablo 2.

Kenai

Is Riven still good? I don't think I want to learn her -- average win rates are in the 47% neighborhood it seems like.

She's not really bad I don't think but you can do similar with slightly easier to work with champs like Jax (if not banned) or Fiora.

I've been wrecking (and getting wrecked) by Fiora a lot lately, but I dunno. The last one our Rengar fed her pretty bad and she was quite good about ulting just to dodge my Morgana Q since everyone else didn't really have hard CC I guess :( Definitely a monster snowballer

Probably, but it took so long to get a winning rate with him, I'm scared it would take another month to learn someone else I can consistently get.

Just do teambuilder a lot and focus on someone who isn't constantly banned, and then a backup or two. You can also at least learn a banned champ you like as well since sometimes they do go through, especially in lower elos where banrates can be differing.. I'd say 3 per role isn't too much to ask yea?

Thing is she has a huge skill cap, but I don't think she gets rewarded much for it, other than you don't totally get squashed.

If you play her, get ready for a long frustrating road. Also you'll be chugging potions like you're playing diablo 2.
I wouldn't choose Riven as a safe, standard lane pick anymore but she still absolutely decimates quite a few lanes like Mundo or Nasus.

Also, the games I'm speaking of are the ones during patch 3.14 or 3.15 so probably not the greatest current example but Riven is still a good champion against a lot of matchups.

Oh yeah and Fiora is stupid powerful mid against a lot of popular mid champs. idk why people keep sending her against bruisers when she clearly has more power mid.

Ferrio

Banned
I wouldn't choose Riven as a safe, standard lane pick anymore but she still absolutely decimates quite a few lanes like Mundo or Nasus.

A valid argument, but there's a lot of champions that destroy them too, are less skill demanding and are safer picks overall.

And riven is a waaaaaay different character than she was in 3.14 etc.

Blizzard

Banned
She's not really bad I don't think but you can do similar with slightly easier to work with champs like Jax (if not banned) or Fiora.

I've been wrecking (and getting wrecked) by Fiora a lot lately, but I dunno. The last one our Rengar fed her pretty bad and she was quite good about ulting just to dodge my Morgana Q since everyone else didn't really have hard CC I guess :( Definitely a monster snowballer

Just do teambuilder a lot and focus on someone who isn't constantly banned, and then a backup or two. You can also at least learn a banned champ you like as well since sometimes they do go through, especially in lower elos where banrates can be differing.. I'd say 3 per role isn't too much to ask yea?
Team builder isn't really an option, since the super long queue times there, the completely different mmr, and the bizarre team compositions aren't going to be at all the same as my ranked position.

Jax is 95-100% banned as mentioned, and I don't own Fiora yet. I need another 3000 IP or so.

Ferrio

Banned
Team builder isn't really an option, since the super long queue times there, the completely different mmr, and the bizarre team compositions aren't going to be at all the same as my ranked position.

Jax is 95-100% banned as mentioned, and I don't own Fiora yet. I need another 3000 IP or so.

Build your teambuilder mmr, I mean you're in what...silver? Shouldn't be hard.

A valid argument, but there's a lot of champions that destroy them too, are less skill demanding and are safer picks overall.

And riven is a waaaaaay different character than she was in 3.14 etc.
I suppose losing lane level 1 because riv q-aa-q-aa-q-aa ignite was a little too strong.

Blizzard

Banned
Build your teambuilder mmr, I mean you're in what...silver? Shouldn't be hard.
I don't want to though -- it's already way higher than my ranked mmr probably, and with the longer queue times, if I only play a few games each day that's a lot more time spent in team builder than I might as well use at my current level in ranked. :p

Actually I'd rather play the old Riven than this retarded borefest that's top now. You either slap each other around dealing no damage or you get a gank, burn a flash and then do nothing for five more minutes.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I gave up AD carry to this Cait player. I mean the game worked out and I did a lot but I dunno if it woulda been easier to just take it from her in the first place. Those hard League decisions. I think I am going to judge ADCs by whether they rush BT or not.
w0BBkX9.jpg

Loona

The reason Warwick is a great starting jungler is partly because he has great sustain but also partly because he has the best newbie gank in the game at 6. Just go to a lane where the opponent is pushed up and your laner is present, target the opponent, and mash R. You'll teleport to them, stun them for 1.8 seconds, and do damage. The only way it could be easier is if it also pinged them right before you attacked them.

I've been R'ing 1st, then getting the GUI circle to click in - I guess selecting first is faster, apparently the current auto-attack target isn't selected by default...

Speaking of sustain, what are other good characters for that?
I'm currently saving for Yasuo since he's basically Haohmaru, but sure I have a lot to learn until then.

(Also, remember to ping the enemy before you gank them so your laner knows to come in.)

And how is that done? The tutorial doesn't cover that...

Speaking of educational game elements, is there no way to retreive in-game chat logs after either the Victory or Defeat screens? Could be handy to spot some important overvation that might have been missed, since chat text doesn't stick around.

Yasuo is a pretty good and balanced champion, though I can't say he's recommended for new players especially if you're new to the genre. More micro needed compared to most other champions since his kit is so agile. He's not a good jungler btw.

As for other drain tanks, Nunu and Fiddlesticks. They're both cheap and good for jungle beginners.

As for chat, nope, unless you download a third party app to save replays.

pigeon

Banned
Swain is hilarious. New favorite mid. I keep getting quick kills on people trying to initiate on me post-6. I assume it's because I am still so noob that I'm playing against people who don't know what he does.

SZGF

Banned

IIRC, she gains up to 20% combo speed from doing it properly. I think thats a decent enough reward.

I've been R'ing 1st, then getting the GUI circle to click in - I guess selecting first is faster, apparently the current auto-attack target isn't selected by default...

Speaking of sustain, what are other good characters for that?
I'm currently saving for Yasuo since he's basically Haohmaru, but sure I have a lot to learn until then.

And how is that done? The tutorial doesn't cover that...

Speaking of educational game elements, is there no way to retreive in-game chat logs after either the Victory or Defeat screens? Could be handy to spot some important overvation that might have been missed, since chat text doesn't stick around.
I like your way of targeting as it makes it snappier for certain spells (some spells get cancelled if the target gets out of range). It also helps you learn your spell ranges quicker.

You can ping targets by pressing G and then clicking your target. Alternatively you can hold alt and click. There are 4 smart pings that are accessed by pressing G, clicking and holding + drag to select smart ping.

Ferrio

Banned
IIRC, she gains up to 20% combo speed from doing it properly. I think thats a decent enough reward.

I meant that yes she does gain something doing her cancels perfectly, I just think it's pretty shitty that you have to be pretty much an expert to break even with most other safer picks.

All it takes is one fuck up in lane, and you're pretty much screwed. She's very punishing for people trying to learn her.

Kenai

Swain is hilarious. New favorite mid. I keep getting quick kills on people trying to initiate on me post-6. I assume it's because I am still so noob that I'm playing against people who don't know what he does.

Swain isn't played very much despite being pretty strong. I have a hard time using him because of his varying ranges on skills/AA making me play him clumsy, but I have seen quite a few games where a Swain absolutely crushes in games. He's one of those champs where there's a lot of "hidden" damage from stuff like his debuff/dot/healing that are more advanced to account for when trying to trade with him, on top of inexperience vs him.

I actually first started playing Fizz since that was one of the few champs i could reliably kill him with.

pigeon

Banned

I use smart cast for all my abilities -- it just casts on the target your cursor is currently on. You can turn this on in your options menu. I actually recommend starting a custom game by yourself so that you can actually go through your in-game options and find out what they all do. Some people prefer smart cast and others despise it, so it's worth trying both ways.

And how is that done? The tutorial doesn't cover that..

Holding Alt and right-clicking a target or a spot on the map or minimap will ping that point. Pinging a target puts a targeting reticule over them. It's a very valuable communication tool when you're calling a target. If you're about to gank an enemy, it's a really good idea to ping them so that your laner sees that you're intending to attack. Ideally they'll get into position to do the same thing, or bait the enemy back for you to attack.

Holding Control and right-clicking will ping retreat/caution. Holding either and right-clicking, then holding, will bring up a ping menu, which will allow you to ping specific messages like "I'm going here", "I need help here", or "There's a missing enemy here".

Communication wins games, so ping whenever you want to say something. It's more efficient than chatting, because reading is hard and there's no ping for "fuk u".*

* Any ping repeated six times generally means "fuk u".

Kenai

I use smart cast for all my abilities -- it just casts on the target your cursor is currently on. You can turn this on in your options menu. I actually recommend starting a custom game by yourself so that you can actually go through your in-game options and find out what they all do. Some people prefer smart cast and others despise it, so it's worth trying both ways.

I used to hate smart cast and now use it a ton since for a lot of quick-draw type moves it really does up my reaction time and minimizes their chance to dodge . However, there are some random skills that I hate using smartcast with because it doesn't seem to control as well. Janna Q and Rumble ult both come to mind but there were a few others I came across.

Brutalx2

I tried katarina and she is FUN! i truly love her play...i need to practice more but yea...she's fun.
Anywho what do you guys item build recommendation for katarina ?

zkylon

zkylewd
played a bit of draven on my like level 11 smurf and man he's hard to play down there. like everything's so crazy, i get the feeling he needs a bit more of a static environment so he can be the one breaking havoc

i might buy him, i was thinking of also buying vayne since i think she'll be pretty broken this patch but i dunno, playing vayne is like a one way ticket to hell

I tried katarina and she is FUN! i truly love her play...i need to practice more but yea...she's fun.
i've been seeing a good number of deathfire grasp rushing kats lately and it's pretty cray

Start d.shield because kat gets absolutely fucked early by pretty much everyone except karthus.

Rush either DFG, Haunting Guise or Abyssal. (How far ahead u are determines the buys.)

Get Zhonyas as ur second item because it lets u fuck people up without huge risk after u blow ur cooldowns.

Deathcap third for obvious reasons.

Buy a defensive item (ie GA) as your next buy.

Final item can be DFG if u didn't buy it or Liandrys.

Ex. build- DFG Zhonyas Deathcap Liandries GA Sorc Shoes.

Edit; I forgot void staff. U can replace GA for it if u have the reaction time to zhonyas after dealing ur shit tons of damage.

Blizzard

Banned
A losing renekton accused me of being elo boosted to silver because I was too cowardly to 1v1 him in lane. I had this weird habit of hanging back until the jungler showed up to fight him. :p

He told me to enjoy my shallow win, after the game. I did, I did indeed! It wasn't until I would have had 6 stacks that I realized I had red trinket instead of red tooth. I hate doing that on rengar.

AcridMeat

Banned
I find it easier to do well as Vayne than Draven, I like her kit more. I rarely play Vayne because of the stigma attached to her, but have had fun and success with her recently.

Tizoc

I've been winning all my matches as Jungle Warwick, but my build tend to go like this:
1st item is Lantern
2nd item is either Wit's End or Armor+Boots

Should I rush Wit's end or tank up first? By the end game I tend to have 2 armors+Lantern+Wit's End and boots, with 1 item slot left, by then we normally win but in a recent game I ended up as this build:
Feral Flare, Wit's End, Ninja Tabi, Randuin, Spirit Visage, Thornmail

Now Thornmail was mainly to counter to their AD characters, should I have gone for another defensive item or taken an extra offensive weapon?

Kenai

I find it easier to do well as Vayne than Draven, I like her kit more. I rarely play Vayne because of the stigma attached to her, but have had fun and success with her recently.

Vayne really isn't bad but she really isn't a pick up n play champ either, and her aesthetics are popular enough with certain insufferable types that sometimes it does feel like more than a coincidence (I felt that way about Lee Sin players for awhile too).

Just keep learning to be good with her and don't be a stereotype of being 2kewl4u or w/e and you should be ok. Vayne is still scary late game even if she doesn't do well in lane and a lot of game last longer now.

Jeff-DSA

Katarina is soooo good. My one death came from screwing around at the very end when they were surrending. She's so fun to snowball with. I gave Diana the business, and she's supposed to be a counter pick.

Edit: Classic surrender at 20 game...

Ferga

Carried a game by peeling and suiciding to a legendary twitch for 30 minutes with wukong ult and randuins

Shit I have to do to win games sometimes...

Loona

Yasuo is a pretty good and balanced champion, though I can't say he's recommended for new players especially if you're new to the genre. More micro needed compared to most other champions since his kit is so agile. He's not a good jungler btw.

As for other drain tanks, Nunu and Fiddlesticks. They're both cheap and good for jungle beginners.

I'm mostly aiming for manaless characters for now, as with so much to learn, one less resource to think about probably makes things a bit more manageable. Yasuo is explicitely stated to be tricker, and he's expensive anyway, so he's not someone I expect to master anytime soon, but a nice-to have for the future. Only really bought Garen and Warwick so far.

I like your way of targeting as it makes it snappier for certain spells (some spells get cancelled if the target gets out of range). It also helps you learn your spell ranges quicker.

You see ranges, but when an area gets really busy it's all too easy to click on the wrong thing.

It's also pretty annoying when you get killed before the ability actually comes out, so you're lying there dead with the ability's circle still on - it's pretty silly that you still have to right-click it to disable the thing at a time when it's no longer usable...

You can ping targets by pressing G and then clicking your target. Alternatively you can hold alt and click. There are 4 smart pings that are accessed by pressing G, clicking and holding + drag to select smart ping.

Nice to know - at this time I hardly feel I have a complete enough view of what's going on to try and guide everyone else.

Nekofrog

Banned
newt helped me break my skarner cherry in a real game after 2 bot games with him over the past week.

holy shit he's so fun.

here's the highlights of our game, most interesting parts is at 3 minutes (the flash skeels) and at 4:40 (epic midlane laugh off) and 5:50 for just absolute deletion. the last 15 or so minutes of the game was a 4v5 in the enemy team's favor, but we wrecked early so hard that it didn't even matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7uWXdXkJCM&feature=youtu.be

need a lot of work on my skillshots, though admittedly it is a pretty hard one to hit. managed to save my ult in teamfights to peel for newt most of the time, otherwise it was first come first serve

also

Nekofrog

Banned
I've been winning all my matches as Jungle Warwick, but my build tend to go like this:
1st item is Lantern
2nd item is either Wit's End or Armor+Boots

Should I rush Wit's end or tank up first? By the end game I tend to have 2 armors+Lantern+Wit's End and boots, with 1 item slot left, by then we normally win but in a recent game I ended up as this build:
Feral Flare, Wit's End, Ninja Tabi, Randuin, Spirit Visage, Thornmail

Now Thornmail was mainly to counter to their AD characters, should I have gone for another defensive item or taken an extra offensive weapon?

i haven't seen a single feral flare warwick since the nerf. they all seem to go golem and pure tank, being a CC machine

It's also pretty annoying when you get killed before the ability actually comes out, so you're lying there dead with the ability's circle still on - it's pretty silly that you still have to right-click it to disable the thing at a time when it's no longer usable...

Might wanna try learning smartcast. Shift + hotkey (QWER/1234567) lets you instantly use the item or ability on wherever your pointer is pointing.

Scratch

as stated above, if you have good mechanics, she's pretty strong. but she gets kited around too easily, which makes carrying games difficult if the other team knows how to peel you.

Pretty nice second item on her. I recommend it. Good luck out there Daru :).

Edit: Though, if you can afford PD, get that instead. If you can't afford PD, but can afford Shiv get Shiv.
I like Shiv better with the IE rush. Fishbones + IE plus shiv procs will blow up people mid game.

Fucking Tryndamere splitpush. BS that he can kill structures while ulting IMO - we would have saved several towers and inhibs if he would just die already. Well played though. Checked the guy's match history, and it's entirely Trynd (jungle) and Fiora (top) with low assist scores. Hate that style of play in solo queue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom