• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT7| She Ezreal To Me, Dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

Been watching Nightblue3 on and off all day. There's been a Katarina carrying in almost every single game he's been in.

I'm going to agree with dimb. Kat god tier in solo queue right now.

Is her default skin worse? I've only played one game with her and it was using Arcade Sona. Reeeally bright and vibrant. I actually like a lot of the changes.

W split into a heal and shield. Less sustain but I think more damage negated overall if used properly. Soraka will be the sustain support.

Power Chord Q. Some of its damage moved to Sona and allies. I think it's a net gain assuming you and your partner use the passive on hit. Less ez pz Q->P harass.

I'd be very scared to pick her against a strong AoE initate though. I wouldn't pick her against an Eve.

Yep, Sona is very bad against AoEs now since you are the most obvious focus now with your FOCUS ME auras.

Her Q activation remained the same but Q buff is horrible, only one buffed hit then wait 10 seconds to reactivate the buff compared to Nami that can give give you 3 buffed hits and velocity reduction to the enemies and you adc will usually waste the buff in a random minion and cant receive another Q buff even if he enter the aura zone again till you reactivate the buff.

Her W is the best of her kit right now since the shields can withstand some damage and heal proportionally the wounded ally it heals.

Her E is worthless, her E activations was dramatically reduced to the aura zone and her buff is the same as the activation so if they leave the snuggle zone they instant loss the velocity buff. So if you dont have enough speed and use the E you could be left behind of your own buffed group that instant gets debuffed.

Just had a really fun Dominion match. Got a few assists early then just snowballed from there.
sQxjcfC.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Having played probably hundreds of Katarina games, I wish I knew how to play her now. I usually try to build hourglass or DFG, and always start boots, and always feel like I do HORRIBLE until level 6, and often afterwards. Even with ult, most people seem smart enough to just exhaust or cancel the ult, and many (most?) champions can do that, so I guess I consider ult sort of a finishing move, or a punishing move for people who are especially bad.

The main thing that was confusing me last night was move timing. I was trying to practice ward-shunpo jumps in a bot game, and it doesn't buffer the input if you press hotkey ward -> smartcast shunpo. Is there a trick to it? Even mashing E doesn't seem to help, it's like planting a ward has a 0.500 second delay before you're allowed to jump, but if you press EW you'll properly chain that combo, in contrast.

Advice/education is greatly appreciated!

garath

Having played probably hundreds of Katarina games, I wish I knew how to play her now. I usually try to build hourglass or DFG, and always start boots, and always feel like I do HORRIBLE until level 6, and often afterwards. Even with ult, most people seem smart enough to just exhaust or cancel the ult, and many (most?) champions can do that, so I guess I consider ult sort of a finishing move, or a punishing move for people who are especially bad.

The main thing that was confusing me last night was move timing. I was trying to practice ward-shunpo jumps in a bot game, and it doesn't buffer the input if you press hotkey ward -> smartcast shunpo. Is there a trick to it? Even mashing E doesn't seem to help, it's like planting a ward has a 0.500 second delay before you're allowed to jump, but if you press EW you'll properly chain that combo, in contrast.

Sounds like you might be trying to place the ward slightly out of placement range. Obviously it's fastest to ward jump if you are smartcasting the ward placement, but if you try to place it too far, your champ will attempt to walk to the appropriate range before placing the ward so you will feel a delay if you're trying JUST out of range.

As far as playing her well, I've watched Tiensi quite a bit. He tends to give up a lot of early cs to avoid taking harass and punish the opposing laner when they run out of mana. Or he just farms under tower and roams a LOT for kills. Poke with your Q but don't shunpo in unless you are looking for a kill.

I dislike the change to Sona's W to make it less about topping allies HP off and more about in-fight sustain. I always saw Sona's most effective strategic niche as an anti-poke support. So in lane she'd be good against the likes of Caitlyn/Zyra but very weak against Draven/Leona (a kill lane), and she was my go to support against team comps based around champions such as AP Nidalee, Jayce and Ziggs to help my team withstand the barrage of long range damage. I would've rather seen that be her W's focus than a weird AoE shield. I suppose I was just playing her in an unintended way.

Jeff-DSA

I went through a phase where I wasn't playing Kat much because I wanted to learn other lanes and champs. Coming back, I've found that she's still really great, despite a handful of hard counters that exist for her. Her build paths have narrowed a bit, but here's generally what I do.

Rush Deathfire Grasp. Even after the nerf, get this first. Obviously you are going to have to be able to CS well or else you are severely delaying your power spike. After DFG, get your Sorcerer's Boots, Rabadon's Deathcap, Void Staff, Zhonya's, and then finish with something like a Guardian Angel or Banshee's Veil depending on circumstances. You can even build more AP, but it's probably overkill to do so.

For abilities, I go Q, W, E, Q, W, R, and then alternate between Q and W until they're maxed and finish off E last. Keeping W leveled up with your Q makes you clear waves so quickly and helps you ramp up in gold.

For engages, you should pop your DFG first so that someone is already really low when you go in. The standard Q, E, W, R combo will melt a couple of people, giving you your reset, when you can E to someone running away ('cuz you done effed 'em up and they're breaking) and hit your R again. It's really best to jump into the team fight right after the first wave of CC has been laid down. You won't get your ult off otherwise. At that point you're going to just melt a team, and your resets make you ready to chase down stragglers.

Another good way to use her is to get to the back of the team fight, like path through the jungle and drop in on their ADC and take them out of the fight completely before it starts. You usually die in this scenario, but if you can remove the ADC and lay down some nice damage on the mage or anybody else, they're kinda boned and they usually will back out. I only do this in the real late game when taking out their ADC is worth trading a life for.

Katarina is pretty hard to play, to be honest. You have to be ultra mindful of CC. There's no way to get her even remotely tanky unless you just don't want to hurt people. The classic Kat fight is to DFG in, melt a couple of people, pop your Zhonya's, use your resets to clean up. She's the only champ I have with multiple Penta kills and several Quadra kills.

Hope that helps. I might record some Kat games, because the laning phase is the hardest part to give tips on, especially in bad match up scenarios.

Alternate build path is to go Haunting Guise first and then your DFG, but I feel like that worked better in the past than it does now. It's still viable if you're not confident in being able to rush DFG in a reasonable time frame, however.

Blizzard

Banned
Sounds like you might be trying to place the ward slightly out of placement range. Obviously it's fastest to ward jump if you are smartcasting the ward placement, but if you try to place it too far, your champ will attempt to walk to the appropriate range before placing the ward so you will feel a delay if you're trying JUST out of range.

As far as playing her well, I've watched Tiensi quite a bit. He tends to give up a lot of early cs to avoid taking harass and punish the opposing laner when they run out of mana. Or he just farms under tower and roams a LOT for kills. Poke with your Q but don't shunpo in unless you are looking for a kill.
No, I double-checked that specific thing. Ward range is less than shunpo range, and I'm like 90% certain I was even warding in less than max ward range, like close to Katarina, and there's still the delay (with the POOF ward sound) before shunpo will work.

Also note that since whatever server changes Riot did, my ping seems to never be under 103 on the east coast now, so that's on top of whatever else may be going on.

Regarding skills, your poke with Q does virtually nothing unless you max Q, and what I've been told for a year or two is maxing W first is the right way to go (does it depend on matchup?). Also, roaming will do nothing but lose a lot of CS in solo queue if people push to tower, don't have CC, or if the enemy team has escapes/disruption moves. I should look up Tiensi's stream.

Hackworth

Yo LeagueGAF, how do I git gud as Zed in ARAM?

His abilities just feel really weird to me: I'll go in for what look like easy kills, then get blown up in like a second.
I've never had this problem with Jinx or Ashe or any other high AD attacker I use, but if I get Zed as ARAM I just end up feeding or hanging back doing almost nothing.

How much of a hopeless case am I?

Ferrio

Banned
It's ARAM, there's no getting good other than hoping you're not against a comp that counters your champion.

Really the biggest part of aram is the roll of the dice on team comp, and managing respawns correctly.

Talents

Banned
Yo LeagueGAF, how do I git gud as Zed in ARAM?

His abilities just feel really weird to me: I'll go in for what look like easy kills, then get blown up in like a second.
I've never had this problem with Jinx or Ashe or any other high AD attacker I use, but if I get Zed as ARAM I just end up feeding or hanging back doing almost nothing.

How much of a hopeless case am I?

Don't play ARAMs to get good with a champion, just play normal games and gradually learn the champ from there.

just double dorans + morellos

or tear
Tried this out, it's pretty much enough mana regen, specially if you get the biscuit mastery. Never felt like I was running oom while I didn't have blue and hell I was playing Ori and trying to keep up 10 cs per min.

If you really really need mana just get a couple blue pots. It's amazing how nobody buys those.

zkylon

zkylewd
morellos is optional depending on the champion

like i would get it on ori or syndra since they live for the cdr but it's not mandatory on lux or lissandra. ofc if you're running like ahri or even dfg lizzy then just ignore morellos altogether tho make sure to get double dorans or you'll be seriously oom

athenes just looks worse and worse every patch, specially since chalice is now a lot of money for basically mana and by the time you buy it you get blue buff so, yeah, fuck it. i know it's only 5 mr but it's been getting nerfed for ages and i'm just tired of it

tear rush isn't bad either cos the seraphs active is really good and getting tear + morellos is only 300g more than athenes for better scaling. it just delays your powerspike but it's usually worth it if you can keep up with the game.

so Daniel Klein told me on Twitter Fiora's gameplay update has been de-prioritised in favour of other champions.

Damn :/

I guess it's cool that Viktor has one coming, but I really liked the ideas behind Guinsoo's rework. Sucks that she was shoved down the pecking order. Especially for shit like Soraka...

Korten

Banned
Anyone else really hate the matches you lose because you did really good, but everyone on your team just did terrible? Just had one of those... Viktor mid... he went 3 and 14... fed everyone...

Jeff-DSA

so Daniel Klein told me on Twitter Fiora's gameplay update has been de-prioritised in favour of other champions.

I guess it's cool that Viktor has one coming, but I really liked the ideas behind Guinsoo's rework. Sucks that she was shoved down the pecking order. Especially for shit like Soraka...

Dang, man. I love Fiora but almost never pick here anymore because she's so situational. I would love to see her more versatile.

Ferrio

Banned
morellos is optional depending on the champion

like i would get it on ori or syndra since they live for the cdr but it's not mandatory on lux or lissandra. ofc if you're running like ahri or even dfg lizzy then just ignore morellos altogether tho make sure to get double dorans or you'll be seriously oom

athenes just looks worse and worse every patch, specially since chalice is now a lot of money for basically mana and by the time you buy it you get blue buff so, yeah, fuck it. i know it's only 5 mr but it's been getting nerfed for ages and i'm just tired of it

tear rush isn't bad either cos the seraphs active is really good and getting tear + morellos is only 300g more than athenes for better scaling. it just delays your powerspike but it's usually worth it if you can keep up with the game.

I'm actually glad of the athene nerf, it needed it.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm actually glad of the athene nerf, it needed it.
not really as it was a class wide nerf.

mages weren't safe because of athenes as mage itemization was practically the same in s3 assassin meta. exhaust, heal, assassin nerfs, snowballing nerfs, those are the things that killed ahri and fizz, not 15 more mr on athenes

they spent a whole season trying to figure out how to deal with ziggs and nidalee and the whole class payed for it

So she'll come in like two years, neat. Not like she hasn't been problematic for 3 years.

Ferrio

Banned
not really as it was a class wide nerf.

mages weren't safe because of athenes as mage itemization was practically the same in s3 assassin meta. exhaust, heal, assassin nerfs, snowballing nerfs, those are the things that killed ahri and fizz, not 15 more mr on athenes

they spent a whole season trying to figure out how to deal with ziggs and nidalee and the whole class payed for it

Athenes was a terrible item as there was really no reason to build anything else as a mage. I didn't think it should of existed as an item, it made mana issues nonexistant with one small purchase.

zkylon

zkylewd
Athenes was a terrible item as there was really no reason to build anything else as a mage. I didn't think it should of existed as an item, it made mana issues nonexistant with one small purchase.
it's not more interesting if instead of athenes you buy morellos or tear every single game

they even nerfed the unique thing about athenes that was the defensive stats so it's now even less of a choice and just waiting for the meta-chosen "good item" over the other.

like you can't say i'm not if all for item diversity and i agree that athenes as an item is pretty bullshit but it really annoys me when an entire class is nerfed for one or two problem champions

like burn it to the ground in the preseason and stir shit up with new items and whatnot, don't just randomly nerf everyone :/

edit: i really wish riot spent less screen space making jokes and more space on actually being transparent. "We're going just a little harder on Chalice of Harmony so that picking it up is more about getting the manafont passive.". why?

zkylon

zkylewd
i wouldn't mind too much if it's like two weeks of waking up early but a whole month is very no-can-do

fortunately we get finals so i can watch at least one series with my friends :>

garath

No, I double-checked that specific thing. Ward range is less than shunpo range, and I'm like 90% certain I was even warding in less than max ward range, like close to Katarina, and there's still the delay (with the POOF ward sound) before shunpo will work.

Also note that since whatever server changes Riot did, my ping seems to never be under 103 on the east coast now, so that's on top of whatever else may be going on.

Regarding skills, your poke with Q does virtually nothing unless you max Q, and what I've been told for a year or two is maxing W first is the right way to go (does it depend on matchup?). Also, roaming will do nothing but lose a lot of CS in solo queue if people push to tower, don't have CC, or if the enemy team has escapes/disruption moves. I should look up Tiensi's stream.

Tiensi is probably the best Kat around. He also has a YouTube channel that he frequently posts videos about playing Kat. He doesn't stream too often but he does.

Max Q first. Its what Kat's do these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom