• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT7| She Ezreal To Me, Dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
But in that same vein bad players who don't know become good by asking one question about jungle respawns or looking it up for 5 seconds. And when they learn that one piece of information thats another step to becoming a better player.

Its a series of small things that (to me) you learn about the game that doesn't need to be indicated from the developers in the game.

A small thing I like that valve did was put the little markers where the usual ideal ward spots are. These aren't the only places but if you don't really know the game you can place them there and it will still be beneficial to the team.

Maybe it's my old man tendencies of learning games by trial by fire.
i don't understand how reading a guide/asking a friend and pressing tab and watching the timer lead to different "learning" outcomes

so that's what it all comes to~~~

:x
valve's positive influence in the world in full effect

everything about HotS' business model is the worst. Just the worst. no currency for simply playing the game. only through quests and levelling up, which has a cap.

it's the worst I've seen in a long time.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If I could sell Yasuo like I could sell my MODO fetchlands, some day down the road, I wouldn't mind nearly as much.

I can't.
I'll trade you Tristana for Yasuo. Everyone knows Tristana is overpowered.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I already have Tristana. I don't need duplicates.

Unless yours is Foil.

zkylon

zkylewd
the champion price is weird cos i genuinely like the pokemon thing of slowly getting all the champions

at the same time i had a lot of fun on those two weeks we got all champs for free in my server

also a lot of ppl whine about not having enough shit to spend their ip on, and runes and runepages are overpriced as fuck too

as it is now riot can't ever suddenly say all champions are free or else they would find themselves with lots of angry people that spent money on champions

not easy

that's why i decided not to bother with the ugly champions and to just buy pretty skins

i'm always pleased this way

scy

If I could sell Yasuo like I could sell my MODO fetchlands, some day down the road, I wouldn't mind nearly as much.

I can't.

the best part of playing Control was getting in early and selling when the prices were at their height

also, opening a jace 2.0 in draft was like the goddamn lottery
that I never hit

as it is now riot can't ever suddenly say all champions are free or else they would find themselves with lots of angry people that spent money on champions

At the start, I can see why it made sense. At this point, however, it's a really hard sell. But it's not something really they're capable of removing without some fallout.

One other thing I can think of is to give out some new when leveling 1-30 IP just for Champions or Runes or whatever bonuses at certain level milestones. I don't know how big of an estimated loss it is if they were to decrease the IP grind time for all of the champions by, say, 25-33%. I feel like the length of time for that is still long enough that most people who would be willing to buy with cash would still be willing to buy with cash. I dunno, would take a lot of math and models for that I guess.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Buy "Full Game" on the store, the price decreasing with every Champion you own.

Boom.

Done.

Riot won't ever do this.
the best part of playing Control was getting in early and selling when the prices were at their height

also, opening a jace 2.0 in draft was like the goddamn lottery
that I never hit

Got a similar feeling from cracking open Elspeth, Sun's Champion in a THS/THS/THS draft.

Not nearly as good as Jace 2.0, but it felt goooood.

pigeon

Banned
Huh, I must be dreaming or something cause I could've sworn when I played Darius, an indicator popped up when they were in kill range.It made him way too strong to me. Maybe I'm thinking of Cho? No, I never thought Cho was OP.

Darius and Cho'Gath have kill indicators on their ults because they deal true damage. Since it can't be mitigated, any player could do the exact same thing by clicking the enemy and watching their health bar and knowing their current ult damage. But bookkeeping isn't an interesting skill, so League just gives you an indicator instead.

Like many other things, this is just a UI convenience. One thing League tries to do, which I really like, is make sure that the information they expose is exposed in as clear a way as possible. You could call it removing skill, but fundamentally, if the skill is "interpreting the specific way the UI is implemented," it's not really skill, just busywork. Jungle timers are a great example of this.

Darius and Cho'Gath have kill indicators on their ults because they deal true damage. Since it can't be mitigated, any player could do the exact same thing by clicking the enemy and watching their health bar and knowing their current ult damage. But bookkeeping isn't an interesting skill, so League just gives you an indicator instead.

Like many other things, this is just a UI convenience. One thing League tries to do, which I really like, is make sure that the information they expose is exposed in as clear a way as possible. You could call it removing skill, but fundamentally, if the skill is "interpreting the specific way the UI is implemented," it's not really skill, just busywork. Jungle timers are a great example of this.

Darius doesn't.

zkylon

zkylewd
Buy "Full Game" on the store, the price decreasing with every Champion you own.

Boom.

Done.

Riot won't ever do this.
probably not, at least for 60 bucks

ppl would be up in arms if they did

like there was actually people whining about riot making shitty 5 year old legacy skins like red-recolor akali available again.

what's cho's indicator? i played a shitload of cho in s2 and i never noticed

zed is another champion that has that indicator for his ult and that's not tru damage

but it's conductive to ppl looking like badass ninjas so i approve

Fracas

#fuckonami
I love the jungle timers. As has been said, adding 5 minutes to a time doesn't really take much skill.

I wish they were up all the time though. I instinctively press tab every few seconds.

scy

Got a similar feeling from cracking open Elspeth, Sun's Champion in a THS/THS/THS draft.

Not nearly as good as Jace 2.0, but it felt goooood.

during modo Eldrazi launch events, I opened 2x Vengevines and a Gideon.

I played Bant for much of that block.

You could call it removing skill, but fundamentally, if the skill is "interpreting the specific way the UI is implemented," it's not really skill, just busywork. Jungle timers are a great example of this.

I couldn't think of busywork.

How did that word evade me this entire discussion.

zkylon

zkylewd
the important thing about all of this doto discussion is that kpop ahri > firefox ahri

firefox ahri is still pretty ok tho

ok 23 hours no sleep, i'm going to bed

Blizzard

Banned
kat2ztzjn.png

Thanks to those who suggested maxing Katarina Q first. I've been doing a lot better that way.

What these scores don't show is how difficult the two wins were. I think I posted the map of the 48-minute win yesterday -- we basically only won because one player scewed up an ult and we were able to make up for our lack of objectives.

The most recent win, my team had about a 10k or more gold advantage for 10+ minutes at the end of the game. The ABSOLUTELY MIND-BOGGLING thing that I've probably posted about before is human behavior in situations like this. There are players who keep doing the same bad habits with the same bad results. I'm almost certainly one of them -- players like that keep dying to ganks, never put wards down, keep walking in range and feeding over and over. Okay, from an outside perspective that's bad, but at least they're doing the same thing, right? Humans fall into habits and that's understandable.

What is crazy is games like this, where we were winning each teamfight, and not like, barely winning, but CRUSHING each teamfight. We'd lose maybe 1, and ace the other team. This probably happened two or three times. Once we finally begged and wandered and pestered and got all 5 people in mid lane, we rolled down and I think got the tower + inhib right then.

Now, you would think human nature would say "Oh, that teamfight / lane push thing that worked so well, let's keep doing the same thing", right? No. We would start having two of our major damage dealers randomly wander to jungle camps. Ping top a million times? People go to a jungle camp instead, or a completely different lane. Ping baron? Four of us go there to defend? Our jungler went to dragon 30+ minutes into the game. With no jungler, the other team predictably killed baron, killed one of us, and the game almost could have ended there.

Once we FINALLY got all 5 people in the same place again, we killed the towers and won the game. Shocking.

V_Arnold

No matter what personal preferences say, LoL is not really an offender in F2p games. You gotta ignore the 95% of the F2P market to say that.

If being only 96% generous compared to 98 and 99% "generousity" (aka Steam's join DOTA 2 and have a built-in client to see our sales and potentially generate us money from the item trades) makes you a bad F2P game, that is like relative grading in universities where if you are not the top 3 in an exam, you do not pass. That is not how it works...

Lowest tier F2P: daily limits, timers, more constraints than freedom
Low tier F2P: "yeah, you can play, but there are tons of essential content hidden behind paywalls"
Mid-tier F2p with a touch of "fuck you": Yeah, totally f2p, but you will die grinding to the horse to have an adequate movement speed. Oh, and we also restrict your gold amount and AH, and all that.
Mid-tier F2P: Yeah, you can grind out most of the essential stuff, the rest you gotta pay though
High-tier F2P: You can play on almost of an equal footing with everyone else. Unless you count some of the ease of access that paying money gets to you. (Xp boosts, buying high-end stuff, etc)
Generous/Clever-tier F2P: LOL. While you get to know the game and learn how to really play, you get to buy 10-20 heroes easily. Constantly rotating free heroes as well.
God-tier F2P: Path of Exile, DOTA2

Edwardo

the important thing about all of this doto discussion is that kpop ahri > firefox ahri

firefox ahri is still pretty ok tho

ok 23 hours no sleep, i'm going to bed

I faced a kpop ahri and beat her this morning. Obviously because Foxfire is the better skin.

Einbroch

Banned
Has anyone played Runes of Magic?

Probably the most unfair, broken P2W game ever. You can buy gear that will one shot non-paying players every time.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
People still use timers especially when they have a rough idea of when the dragon went down but the indicators don't say otherwise. I agree with scy in that it's a QoL change. Not so much of a detriment of skill. That's like saying let's take out the bars for how long it takes for the larva to burst out of the hatchery after larva inject from a Queen in SC2. How dumb.

garath

So that $100 RP tier for Sugar Tush is looking tempting.

I realized I typed "tush" on accident, but I'm leaving it.

If I could have seen the future, I would have bought two $100 bundles when they had bonus rp and I would have saved about 150 over the life of the game Lol.

I refuse to put that much into the game again (as I bought $50 worth a couple months ago sigh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom