• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT7| She Ezreal To Me, Dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subtle

Who needs sleep lol

What are you talking about

G8DvoT3.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
I think that graph made me realize that the majority of champions are way too easy to learn. So when a new FoTM comes a long, it doesn't take much to learn them. Instead of saying something like fighting games, where people stick to their mains more often than not because of the amount of work you have to put into them.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I think that graph made me realize that the majority of champions are way too easy to learn. So when a new FoTM comes a long, it doesn't take much to learn them. Instead of saying something like fighting games, where people stick to their mains more often than not because of the amount of work you have to put into them.
I guess thats because league has 5x as many characters than a fighting game because of the roles so you have to branch out more and it needs to be easy.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Most people in this thread aren't even very good with one champion though.

Leezard

I think it's kind of the other way around. Most champs require quite some time to learn to play properly, so pros are often put into the position of either trying to learn the new FotM champ, or some off-meta champ. Guess which one is chosen most of the time?

I'm talking about reaching the skill cap btw, the skill floor is indeed low for most champs. But hitting the skill floor is not enough to play on a pro level.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ferrio's saying pros shouldn't be able to just pick up whatever is FOTM within a week, or else you get stuff like 80-100% pick/ban rates.

On the other hand, the concept of "mains" is really antithetical to a genre like MOBA.

Tobe

guys help. so i was downloading the client, and it was around 80% and bam thing crashed now im back at 33%, and it just stuck, any solutions i checked riots forums proven non helpful. pls :)?

I think a large part of the problem is the pick/ban phase and the correct meta-game around it. In short, it's very important that your players can play your opponent's best champions properly to have a strong pick/ban phase (and if a specific opponent excels on a weird unusual pick, well, you have three bans before any picks are made to remove it).

Blizzard

Banned
Ferrio's saying pros shouldn't be able to just pick up whatever is FOTM within a week, or else you get stuff like 80-100% pick/ban rates.

On the other hand, the concept of "mains" is really antithetical to a genre like MOBA.
I didn't think the game was necessarily balanced around pro gamers though -- and that makes sense considering the extremely vast majority of League players are not pro.

Haly

There's no need for you, as a non-pro player, to be able to "learn" a champ quickly or slowly. As long as you're playing games and having fun, what does it matter that you can't play Lucian or whatever FOTM at 90% efficiency? Skill caps only really affect pro players or top-level yolo-queuers.

I think there's ambiguity here. Ferrio isn't talking about "learning" in the sense of being able to preform on a champ at a baseline level, such as knowing their skills or being able to pull off their combos, but "learning" in order to become competitive as them. Because of the amount of commitment it takes to become tournament ready as a character in the FGC, people are reluctant to deviate from what they know. Even if one character comes out as "better" the others, competitive level representation doesn't immediately become lopsided because people can't make the switch within a month.

brian!

it's probably not that hard to hold a pool of 4-5 champs for a single lane for pro players
harder to experience relevant situations and get practice for those situations probably

Haly

I think the problem is simply champion balance. There are too many "this guy is clearly better than all those other guys at this particular role" choices.

Ferrio

Banned
I think the problem is simply champion balance. There are too many "this guy is clearly better than all those other guys at this particular role" choices.

But that will always be a problem, there will always be the "best" choice in any competitive game. Usually the limiting factor is your ability to play the "best" option.

brian!

champ balance is a thing, but it's not really that solvable
since the bigger thing at hand is how the game is constructed and how the narrative of the game is constructed
marksman

Haly

champ balance is a thing, but it's not really that solvable
since the bigger thing at hand is how the game is constructed and how the narrative of the game is constructed
marksman
Light fighters will save the meta.
But that will always be a problem, there will always be the "best" choice in any competitive game. Usually the limiting factor is your ability to play the "best" option.
But that's not true, not if there are proper checks and balances put into place. Sideboarding in MTG immediately comes to mind here. Honestly, the fault lies with Riot themselves for adhering so strictly to their "no hard counters" champion design.

Leezard

E can let you all in someone who doesn't try to fight back easier while W will be better if someone attempts to trade with you. So, W is better in most cases. E can be good for an E -> Q lvl 2 all in, but it's quite inconsistent and you will be weaker if your opponents actually try to fight back on level 1.

It's much better in most situations to start with W on Nami instead of E because AA - W - AA does crazy amounts of damage level 1 with Spellthief + Hybrid Pen. Runes. E is good against supports with little trading potential like Leona or Morgana, but generally you want to take W especially in even or difficult level 1s like a Sona or a Thresh since they can easily trade with you and still come out on top.

Also, by starting W with nami, as soon as the other ADC tries to trade with yours, you can W your adc/their adc and immediately they will lose the trade because of the bounce damage/heal.

Ocho

You refuse to start E, if you did you could be so much better.

Newt troll confirmed. Who goes E first? It's all about the W or Q if invading.

I just won lane as Nami with a Syndra ADC (but not really, AP) vs Corki/Leona. Jungler didn't even need to come to win lane, so ez. Unfortunately, mid of other team never connected and wasn't able to test it out mid/late game. I guess it can work cuz of broken stun/burst. AD jungler & top mandatory I guess.

E first might be okay if you're with Caitlyn against a lane that's extremely easy to poke at level 1 (say Vayne/Leona), but if there's any trading you need W to win.

bokn

Banned
Most people in this thread aren't even very good with one champion though.
Holy shit
If this were really true we wouldn't have pro-players with 'limited' champion pools so often.
Infact, the graph doesn't really support your claim.
Is Nocturne the hard counter to light fighters?
I think light is meant to beat dark.

brian!

pro players seem to keep a pretty low pool, like luckily for them when something new comes around it tends to push something out at the same time

o shit guys we didn't notice, too much money on our mind.....
e974lmx.png

Type2

pro players seem to keep a pretty low pool, like luckily for them when something new comes around it tends to push something out at the same time

o shit guys we didn't notice, too much money on our mind.....
e974lmx.png

I gotchu. Itd be sweet if we carried rango as a team with the khaz head on him.
Then khaz body sits at nexus with his arms crossed.

brian!

upgrade da sighstone if you aren't gonna be carrying anymore greens or pinks
against that team a banshees woulda been good cause they can pop you u pretty quick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom