• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT7| She Ezreal To Me, Dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you are playing in challenger (i.e. with teams full of pros on each side) any champion can be effective if played correctly. But some champions require learning play patterns that are essentially unique (e.g. Shaco, Sion, Poppy, Yi), so to master them requires a lot more effort than becoming competent with, say, Corki, when you're already a strong Lucian. It also requires doing things that might annoy your teammates (e.g. playing a farm and splitpush-centric style as Jungle Yi) and possibly making your team lack things they would expect someone in your position to provide.

Jeff-DSA

Guys, please don't play Katarina and get her more popular and draw her a nerf. Ok, thanks.

Katarina is hands down the most fun champ to play, but she's a true glass cannon. You have to make every single engage with care, otherwise you'll just get cc'd and rendered irrelevant in fights. I don't know how to give good tips, as I feel so much of what you do with Katarina is based on instinct and a lot of learned reaction. I can think of a few very basic tips though.

- Max Q first, E last
- Use her E to help you CS more safely. You don't have the easiest time getting CS with Kat, so you have to do a lot of Q, W, auto, and escape out with E combos.
- Bait stuff out. More than any other champ I can think of, you really have to bait out the stuns, slows, and interrupts before engaging.
- Get mobile. I think the best start for Katarina is Boots and 4 health pots. Being mobile really helps you to CS better early on. Upgrade her boots early so you can get a nice power spike and roam.
- If you're noticeably ahead on farm, start with DFG, kill your lane, and roam. If you're behind or struggling with CS, consider Haunting Guise first to make CS a lot easier.
- As tempting as it is, you need to wait to jump in on team fights until the CC has been burnt. You'll clean up if you can wait. Also, right after popping your ult, use Zhonya's. Your team should get a kill or two, giving you an assist to give you resets. You can either continue the engage or get out easily with her E.
- DON'T FORGET THAT YOU CAN E TO WARDS, INCLUDING THE TRINKET
- If you do nothing else, just blow up their ADC or mage in the team fight. If you're going to die when you go in, take one of them with you and your team will benefit hugely from it.
- Get a Guardian Angel late game and between the initial engage, Zhonya's, and then GA, you'll probably get to ult twice per team fight.

Oh, and you should never chase through the jungle, but Katarina is actually pretty good at it. But still, don't do it.

bokn

Banned
But some champions require learning play patterns that are essentially unique (e.g. Shaco, Sion, Poppy, Yi), so to master them requires a lot more effort than becoming competent with, say, Corki, when you're already a strong Lucian.
Corki is basically the same as Lucian?
Rude :/

Jeff-DSA

I haven't mentioned anything because I didn't want to Jinx my Ryze, but I'm Silver 2. Just promoted on Saturday. Didn't play yesterday, but should be back on it tonight, hoping to get to Silver 1 soon. The dream for Gold is real, but I'm sure I'll hit some terrible wall at Silver 1 and have to slog through it for a while.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Are the gaf group games randomly happen or do we have like a specific time where we play together?
I'd like to join the fun that is ghostisbad.

Ocho

What I don't understand is why you need to communicate that on TS. Sure, it's fine to get mad, I've yelled and hit the desk sometimes, but people wouldn't know (except from those in my house).

Don't have push to talk? Activate it.

I read somewhere that maxing W first is better on Kat because you get the faster movement speed for mobility, but Q is definitely a safer farming skill.

Every Kat game for me goes one of two ways:
1. I get a few early kills, they start focusing me in every fight and I become irrelevant.
2. I start slow and don't do much, they ignore me and I wreck late-game. If the game isn't over by then see #1.

3 pinks. I'm in Elo heaven.
GdKUdSk.png

Newt

What I don't understand is why you need to communicate that on TS. Sure, it's fine to get mad, I've yelled and hit the desk sometimes, but people wouldn't know (except from those in my house).

Don't have push to talk? Activate it.
He has push to talk.

Jeff-DSA

I read somewhere that maxing W first is better on Kat because you get the faster movement speed for mobility, but Q is definitely a safer farming skill.

Every Kat game for me goes one of two ways:
1. I get a few early kills, they start focusing me in every fight and I become irrelevant.
2. I start slow and don't do much, they ignore me and I wreck late-game. If the game isn't over by then see #1.

In case #1, you should get that DFG and Zhonya's. Try to jump into the fight late. Either they'll be holding onto their CC while your team hits them with theirs or they'll burn it and you can clean up late. The Zhonya's buys time for your team to hit them while they wait out the active. It's just about timing your engages.

In case #2, get the Haunting Guise ahead of DFG and catch up on CS or roam and help the other lanes snowball.

If Katarina is in a match, either she should be snowballing hard or the other two lanes should, because she's a monster when she roams. You can also really help your jungler by catching out the enemy jungler when they try to take buffs.

Edit: Don't max Q first. If you're worried about leaving it behind, alternate Q and W. I used to do that, and it's pretty decent, but I think you get way better CS by making Q first.

brian!

i have ghost muted in mumble so it's like he's a real ghost
and if i want to laugh at him flipping out i can just watch a youtube video, win win

Sofo

That's the best part about worlds. Everyone starts to ward in solo queue.

Actually, tbh I've been playing a lot better over the last week. I think it has a lot to do with watching 6 straight hours of matches each day.

I have to agree with that, also I kinda force myself to look at the map while on their matches, which enforces the habit of doing it every couple of seconds!

Tizoc

T.T 3 straight ranked losses. First one our Leona fucked up but I was doing OK as Twitch.
In our 2nd I was doing OK as Xin, but Irelia had teleport and our bot Karma sucked donkey balls since it was their first time.
In my 3rd, we had a mid Swain, dumbass didn't even tank...

Blizzard

Banned
I kind of don't like how pink wards are basically "you pay 100G to give free gold to the other team". You briefly know where their jungler is as they cruise through and farm your ward, but unless you camp near it to set up a pink ward trap, it seems very easy to just kill.

pigeon

Banned
T.T 3 straight ranked losses. First one our Leona fucked up but I was doing OK as Twitch.
In our 2nd I was doing OK as Xin, but Irelia had teleport and our bot Karma sucked donkey balls since it was their first time.
In my 3rd, we had a mid Swain, dumbass didn't even tank...

Mid Swain is fine. Do you mean he didn't tank in the sense of initiating or in the sense of building tank? Swain should build Rod/Zhonya's/maybe Scepter, but he still needs a lot of AP to do his job. He's a mage, after all.

Tizoc

Mid Swain is fine. Do you mean he didn't tank in the sense of initiating or in the sense of building tank? Swain should build Rod/Zhonya's/maybe Scepter, but he still needs a lot of AP to do his job. He's a mage, after all.

He built Rabadon and Hextech Revolver.
This were his items when we lost. Even I know you tank with swain and I don't even use him.

Still better than 0 communication though :/.
I don't think negative communication is better than no communication. And not just screaming like a toddler, but there's that passive-aggressive thing that people do and it's like, why even say anything. Vent your frustration off-mic.

Fracas

#fuckonami

He built Rabadon and Hextech Revolver.
This were his items when we lost. Even I know you tank with swain and I don't even use him.

Ugh, that sounds terrible (though I have wanted to screw around with hybrid Swain).

In most cases, I go Rod of Ages, Zhonya's, Sorc Shoes, Rylai's, Liandry's and either Spirit Visage or Void Staff depending on the other team. Even with just ~400 AP, the full combo will melt the other carries while still being able to soak up a bunch of damage.

Jeff-DSA

I don't think negative communication is better than no communication. And not just screaming like a toddler, but there's that passive-aggressive thing that people do and it's like, why even say anything. Vent your frustration off-mic.

Eh, I'm sure this is all cherry picked for high comedy. I never rage at people while playing, but I doubt that Ghost is going 100% RAGE 100% of the time.

brian!

what if league voice chat was just 10 people complaining about tristana at the same time
slowly their voices harmonize
an angel's tears

JesseZao

Anyone here actually used curse voice? I don't plan on ever bothering with it since I'm usually in a skype duo, but just curious what people's experiences have been.

Our zed went crazy about how he was killing the enemy team, then pushed too far on his line and got wrecked several times feeding the enemy tristana and mid so of course our Zed tried to push his line again and again. making the enemy tristana overcome him and destroy all the lines

zkylon

zkylewd
Our zed went crazy about how he was killing the enemy team, then pushed too far on his line and got wrecked several times feeding the enemy tristana and mid so of course our Zed tried to push his line again and again. making the enemy tristana overcome him and destroy all the lines

that's zed for ya

champion wins the lane for them, player loses the game

Edwardo

man im so glad that league doesnt have in game voice chat

the players are just so toxic

4hMaWQT.gif

what if league voice chat was just 10 people complaining about tristana at the same time
slowly their voices harmonize
an angel's tears

Wait.. league voice chat or League of Legends |OT7| She Ezreal To Me, Dammit!

Anyone here actually used curse voice? I don't plan on ever bothering with it since I'm usually in a skype duo, but just curious what people's experiences have been.

I still have it. I don't use it much now, but I used to find ppl every game to chat with.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

iunderstoodthatreference.gif

Tizoc

AND IN THIS FOURTH GAME I GET A FUCKING ANNIE WHO DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY FOR SHIT!
Messed up our Vayne and my jungling. Didn't help that we had a mid Trista against a Morgana, I tred to swerve around her make her miss her 1 year stun (nerf that ish rito), but even that didn't help.
I neded up with feral flare, Magic resist boots and was just building randuin.
Our Nasus did OK up til he got illed by Lucian again and again :V

Eff this I'm hittin' up aram and regular matches, then jumping into FF4 @3@

Ugh, that sounds terrible (though I have wanted to screw around with hybrid Swain).

In most cases, I go Rod of Ages, Zhonya's, Sorc Shoes, Rylai's, Liandry's and either Spirit Visage or Void Staff depending on the other team. Even with just ~400 AP, the full combo will melt the other carries while still being able to soak up a bunch of damage.

I seem to be 600 IP shy of getting Swain, I'll just eff it and get him.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I'm really bad at going "Why?" in games. I should really stop... but I really wanna know they're line of thinking.
That, for some reason, makes players just throw the game out the window in my experience in league.
Also never respond to why? From an ally for your item builds. It will just piss them off more.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I seem to be 600 IP shy of getting Swain, I'll just eff it and get him.
Good choice. A lot of people play him top but I always go mid with him. Easier to get fed and roam off a squishy caster. He's a great pick against assassins too. IMO a fed Swain is the strongest champ in the entire game, at least in lower elo. You can easily 1v3 or 1v4. So easy to roam, too.
I'm really bad at going "Why?" in games. I should really stop... but I really wanna know they're line of thinking.

Saying "Why?" puts people on insta-tilt in my experience.

Yep. I used to get mad at teammates but I'm all about encouragement now.

Edwardo

I used to type "why" all the time. Now I just keep a look out for what the fools are doing and will spam:

"stop"
"stop"
"Stop"
"STOP"

or

ctrl+v
ctrl+v
ctrl+v
ctrl+v
ctrl+v
ctrl+v
ctrl+v

the exclamation point also helps because it's louder and gets their attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom