• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT7| She Ezreal To Me, Dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
You can't get demoted from tier V of a division unless your MMR drops a whole tier below where you are at. If you are Gold 5 but reach the MMR of Silver 5 then you get demoted.

If you actually mean chat, it's because it's pick order.

It's definitely super annoying when people don't pay attention to the actual picked champions and pick whatever they feel like, though. Tossed one placement game from a fourth pick guy locking Jayce when we already had a top laner.

Yeah.

In other news, I don't think I'm going to bother with ranked right now. Too close to the end of the season and after 4 straight losses, I've soured on the ranked community. I don't know why but I'm convinced the game is purposely putting me with people who can't play this game in any lane and I feel like I'm lowering myself to their level as a result. Not satisfied with how I've played ranked at all.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Has Riot confirmed when the season ends yet? I lost a ranked game, going back down to 0 LP at gold 5.

I have myself scheduled to play October 13, October 23, and November 13. I'm gambling that 3 losses at 0 LP will not be enough for demotion, since I got promoted not many ranked games ago. Is that a safe bet for making it to the deadline without demotion?

Also, after the akali ban request, this in non-ranked:

im pretty sure its november20th

pigeon

Banned
My only issue is when people don't say they're taking a role I tentatively called. If I'm fourth pick, and I say "top pref", then second pick doesn't say anything and picks top, I get annoyed. I don't care if you wanted to go top, just say it so I can plan accordingly.

I agree that this sucks, especially because it can easily lead to situations where people basically throw the game by dual picking a lane because it wasn't clear to them that you were in that lane. In today's anarchy where anybody not doing well in their lane can make it in top lane, it's a constant danger!

Ocho

You can't get demoted from tier V of a division unless your MMR drops a whole tier below where you are at. If you are Gold 5 but reach the MMR of Silver 5 then you get demoted.

I'd say this is not true. I got demoted to plat 1 and I still matched up with mostly plat players.

Ferrio

Banned
Do leavers affect LP gained? I just got 16LP for a game but the enemy team had three gold 5s 1 gold 4, a silver 1 leaver. My team was Silver 1s and 2s.

Ferga

When I was demoted from D5, I had the mmr of a mid plat 4.

Most of the people in my initial games were plat 4-2. Never saw a plat 5 so I don't know.

Feebastic

I don't think I've ever had as much fun in a league game as I did just now. I wish there was a better reason for Leona and Thresh to be on the same team more often, they're an insane pairing. I was playing a weird bruiser Thresh top build (building only green items, we were playing power ranger comps) and Leona was a weird support-AP hybrid thing (only yellow items). Leona walks from bot lane to gank top, we 100-0 Elise before she can move. We do the same again to a Vayne later while we're both 25% health. The CC chain is so unbelievably strong, and the damage from all of it is more than enough to kill anyone squishy, or anyone at all in the early game.

If anybody on EUWest GAF wants to play dumb normals with me ever, my IGN is TheNatmaster. Dobkeratops can attest to the power of my incredible bot lane combinations.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Probably buy one of those Championship skins or whatever.

Or Azir.

SeigO

Banned
Just an update for the few people that I know on here. I just got done with my first night of practice in the RMU varsity gaming room, this shits crazy. They're really going all-in with this E-sports initiative, we have 5 coaches and I had a camera in my face for almost 5 hours. I guess ESPN is going to be doing some coverage soon also.

Whose on which team hasn't really been decided yet, I'm hoping I can make the B team at least.

brian!

Just an update for the few people that I know on here. I just got done with my first night of practice in the RMU varsity gaming room, this shits crazy. They're really going all-in with this E-sports initiative, we have 5 coaches and I had a camera in my face for almost 5 hours. I guess ESPN is going to be doing some coverage soon also.

noice bring dat jayce...
is there a way you can post pics and stuff of the setup, and other assorted thingz

bokn

Banned
Dang, the esports is real

what would you do with 1600 rp

100% increased dmgs for 5 games

Blizzard

Banned
Good try to the GAF team tonight. I got home late and found out another run was happening. I can only imagine what it's like to have 1600 RP. You're all rich! :p

I wonder if the people organizing it are going to get exhausted doing games every night or so?

The game appeared to be close -- GAF was down 4k gold or so, then the other team was down by a few 1000 gold, then the other team got a dramatic baron comeback to win it.

I've decided that I'm not going to complete my placement matches for ranked. And that I'm going to stop playing anything but in-house games for a bit here.

Just too much frustration, too many thrown games and it's no longer any fun for me. The GAF community is awesome, but the League community outside of it is toxic as all hell. Too many AFKers, too many people making bad decisions over and over again, too many people trying to carry all on their own when they're already 0/5/0 and feeding their lanes, too many ganks with no help.

I'm just burnt out on this game. It used to be somewhat fun but I feel like I'm fighting a battle I can't win anymore. I need to step away for a while and try to regroup.

Newt

I've decided that I'm not going to complete my placement matches for ranked. And that I'm going to stop playing anything but in-house games for a bit here.

Just too much frustration, too many thrown games and it's no longer any fun for me. The GAF community is awesome, but the League community outside of it is toxic as all hell. Too many AFKers, too many people making bad decisions over and over again, too many people trying to carry all on their own when they're already 0/5/0 and feeding their lanes, too many ganks with no help.

I'm just burnt out on this game. It used to be somewhat fun but I feel like I'm fighting a battle I can't win anymore. I need to step away for a while and try to regroup.
If you're having these many problems in placements it probably just means you're not ready for ranked yet. Don't let that bring you down though, just practice a bit more.

If you're having these many problems in placements it probably just means you're not ready for ranked yet. Don't let that bring you down though, just practice a bit more.

I plan to practice more, Newt. But the issues are extending into my practice games as well. I just had a game where our jungler Vi threw herself into 1v5s on three separate occasions, all while our Jax announced he had to go AFK as the enemy team was about to make a push in on us. I missed I think two ults but I also couldn't get anywhere close to the enemy ball of champions safely to do any damage, so I know I have some things I can work on.

I think that's what kind of gets me, though. I know not every game should be one where I just destroy the other team (and I can't try to be the supercarry all the time) but I just ... I dunno. Maybe I am pushing myself too hard again. I just feel disappointed more than I think I should, even when I win sometimes.

zkylon

zkylewd
if you find afks or shitters stress you yea it's a good idea to stick to customs

or listen to kpop whiel playing that also helps

u can alt tab during death screens and see the pretty girls dancing for morale boosts

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

i went right into ranked after hitting 30 too. you're probably just on your way down into bronze because you're not too strong yet.

it can be disappointing to expect silver and end up in bronze 3, but it is the reality of the situation that lvl 29 and ranked are completely different beasts.

You should play ranked to improve yourself, not to get a pretty badge on your profile. It evens out eventually.

Eg, S3 was the time I tried taking ranked more seriously. I still got AFKs and trolls, but over 131 games I managed a 55% win rate. I fluctuated a bit on silver but I still ended up Gold. I get bad games, but overtime I went up anyway.

This season I played much much better compared to my last season. Of course there are still bad games / throws, but I just shrugged them off and played the next match. I don't stress over one single match anymore. It's just one out of many. The better I played, the smaller the impact of throws / bad plays became. I hover 65-70% win rate right now and my MMR shot up all the way from high silver to mid Plat in only 36 games this season. I still make some bad calls, and I try to avoid them in my next matches.

If you just hit 30, you'll most likely hit high Bronze / low Silver. If you want to avoid that, spend more time playing Normal Draft / Team Builder. Focus on improving on all roles and learning how to make good calls. Improve your map awareness; it's always good to have an idea where an enemy is probably at any moment, especially the enemy jungler during laning. It tells you to play more aggressively / passively.

Type2

I plan to practice more, Newt. But the issues are extending into my practice games as well. I just had a game where our jungler Vi threw herself into 1v5s on three separate occasions, all while our Jax announced he had to go AFK as the enemy team was about to make a push in on us. I missed I think two ults but I also couldn't get anywhere close to the enemy ball of champions safely to do any damage, so I know I have some things I can work on.

I think that's what kind of gets me, though. I know not every game should be one where I just destroy the other team (and I can't try to be the supercarry all the time) but I just ... I dunno. Maybe I am pushing myself too hard again. I just feel disappointed more than I think I should, even when I win sometimes.
Try to play a single champ for about 10 games and focus on catching your own mistakes. I know losing games gets frustrating but just treat normals as a learning experience. I often think of what my team did wrong/ couksve done but ultimately critique your own play. Was your ult the best it could've been that fight, did you help ward, could you have made that play when you had vision of their jungler, could you have turned sooner,etc..

brian!

if the majority of your experience with this game is negative, or if there is even one single meaningfully bad experience you encounter in the game, it totally makes sense to me to not put yourself in that position again

and for what, so you can get better at a game where you are paranoid that you might run into some assholes

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ranked is just about improving your game. Worrying about pretty borders and W/L ratios will lead you to ruin. What helped me a lot was downloading OBS and recording all my games and rewatching for my mistakes.

It's easy to blame a feeding lane or shitty jungler as an excuse. But when you see your shitty mistakes, you start to realize you do belong where you are and need to improve in order to move up.

I've quit and given up on ranked plenty of times but I always end up coming back because I want to improve.

pigeon

Banned

During my placements I started out 4-1. I was pretty happy! That 1 was a game where we just got outlaned completely, but I played a big role in at least two of the other victories. I was holding out hope for Silver I and a quick dart into Gold.

Then I lost the next five games straight. I had the same incredibly toxic, ragequitting player in two games in a row. I had the guy who locked Jayce after top was taken and ended up going Jayce ADC (with me as support, of course) and AFKing after going 0/6 with like 10 CS. I had a game with support Teemo. I didn't feed in any of the games -- the worst I did was lose lane by a kill and maybe 10 CS. But I wasn't good enough to make those games wins, and at least some of them would never have been wins.

Here's a terrifying fact to remember: a 60% win rate is good enough to climb forever and a 40% win rate is bad enough to fall forever.

Here's how to think about that:

* You play ten games.
* Out of those ten games, four of them are games you'll win because the opposing team has an AFK/ragequit, they're too toxic to win, they make irreparably bad decisions, or you have a smurf or something that just wins the game. Basically, you'll win them through no fault of your own -- if you played worse (up to a point), you'd still win.
* Four of them are the opposite -- games you'll lose because you have a toxic player or someone is terrible or the opposing team has a smurf or whatever. Even if you played better (up to a point), you'll still lose.
* In the four losses, you'll know that you lost because of bullshit. But in the four wins, you won't know that you won because of bullshit. You'll just think you played well (you probably did) and you guys made it work.
* The two remaining games are the only ones where your level of skill really matters. If you win them both, you'll climb. If you lose them both, you'll fall. If you split them, you'll stay where you are.

That's how League works. That's the baseline assumption of success and failure. If you're good enough to be ranked better than you are, you'll still lose 4 of every 10 games. If you're bad enough to be ranked worse than you are, you'll still win 4 of every 10 games. The vast majority of the time, you're going to win or lose for reasons outside your control.

This can either be terrifying or freeing. If it's terrifying, you should totally quit. Straight up, League is a video game, fuck it if it's not fun. But if you can focus on your own play and the things you want to improve on and let go of the W/L since you basically don't control it, you can rise in the ranks and also enjoy yourself.

Now, if you want to win, there's probably also a bunch of personnel management skills you can learn. But from an enjoyment perspective it's more important to just remember that most of the time the game is bullshit for somebody, so just play your best.

zkylon

zkylewd
i straight up disagree

most of my ranked games are won or lost because of valid reasons

sometimes those reasons aren't me (say, someone randomly chased forever and threw) but afks are pretty uncommon

i generally just get mad after the game and put it behind me, if you're half decent and you play enough games the outlier games of afks or evil ppl ruining everything won't matter

i mean you won't be d1 or whatever but u knwo getting to gold is just a matter of just being semi consistent and not raging

edit: but yea you'll lose 4 out of 10 that's just how winrates work :p

Here's a terrifying fact to remember: a 60% win rate is good enough to climb forever and a 40% win rate is bad enough to fall forever.
That's not true at all. I have a negative win rate and I'm still steadily climbing.

Ranked is not as random and "muh teammates" as people try to make it out to be. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you start actually improving and getting better at this game. Just look at any high level player that can easily climb the ladder playing whatever the fuck they feel like. If you feel like you have no control over matches then you need to get better.

bokn

Banned
tumblr_nbxn8jJZsP1sdk5d7o1_500.gif

dang bischu shamed boxbox real hard

brian!

when you remember that you gain nothing from getting better at league, it really puts sitting through hour long sessions of the game with ppl you dont like in perspective
think of how much time you spend doing something that isn't even fun for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom