• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT7| She Ezreal To Me, Dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einbroch

Banned
Are you seriously going to argue you have more game knowledge than a master player?

I think the biggest issue with your line of reasoning is how you play the game. Everyone plays it differently. To say that X build is worse than Y build on a champion is completely an opinion. There is no right and wrong. Will my build not work in higher ELO? Maybe not. But I had a 70.7% winrate on Akali last season using my build because it's how I played the champion.

Instant dismissal is short-sighted, especially against someone who has played a champion a lot and knows how they play.

V_Arnold

I think the biggest issue with your line of reasoning is how you play the game. Everyone plays it differently. To say that X build is worse than Y build on a champion is completely an opinion. There is no right and wrong. Will my build not work in higher ELO? Maybe not. But I had a 70.7% winrate on Akali last season using my build because it's how I played the champion.

Instant dismissal is short-sighted, especially against someone who has played a champion a lot and knows how they play.

As an observer, I kinda see the opposite happening: one viewpoint dismissing the majority of other player's decisions.

Edwardo

I follow dimb's ways and go q > e > w.

Alright thanks. I leveled W up first, but I would go way too low on health in prolonged fights.

Q is actually much easier to land than I thought it would be.

I think i'll keep trying her. I'm bored with the supports I normally play right now.

As much as I agree with your overall point, the bolded part does not apply to most champions in this game. The problem with League's itemization is that it's extremely constricting and easily min-maxed, for better or for worse. Not all items are created equal and most items in League are pretty binary in their functions. Sure experimentation is always welcome and if you're winning who am I to judge - plus let's not forget "odd" builds like pretty much every build Kayle has had in the past two years -, but you can't really argue that winning using 80% of a champion's capacity and using 100% are comparable. Champions with varied, equally strong builds are the exception, not the norm, specially when gold efficiency is all over the place.

I'm not disregarding other Akali builds. All I'm saying is that Gunblade is basically tailor-made for her and I don't see a reason not to build it every game.

this is what happens when you start off with few active items and its all just number crunching
Pretty much. AP actives are usually limited to Zhonya's, rest is all pure math. Akali gets to buy Gunblade and sometimes you might want to get DFG on some champions, but that's about it.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm not disregarding other Akali builds. All I'm saying is that Gunblade is basically tailor-made for her and I don't see a reason not to build it every game.

Because, to me, I don't like it. I don't like the active when I could have the slow all the time and give myself a nice chunk of HP. It doesn't fit me, and therefore, it's not an item I want to build on her. It's as simple as that. Mathmatically, you may be correct. Numbers dictate all. But I play worse with the item and have success not building it, therefore, for me, it's a bad item.

That's not to say you can't build it or shouldn't. But, for me, I don't want it. Get it away from my Akali.

Holy_Chic

Banned
Because, to me, I don't like it. I don't like the active when I could have the slow all the time and give myself a nice chunk of HP. It doesn't fit me, and therefore, it's not an item I want to build on her. It's as simple as that. Mathmatically, you may be correct. Numbers dictate all. But I play worse with the item and have success not building it, therefore, for me, it's a bad item.

That's not to say you can't build it or shouldn't. But, for me, I don't want it. Get it away from my Akali.

What Elo are you? I really don't understand this logic.

Ferga

Woah woah woah!

I'm not promoting one playstyle. I love playing weird shit. GAF even gives me smack for it occasionally

I'm arguing this because the guy specifically said gunblade is trash on Akali when it isn't.

Crab isn't even considering the points people are putting out because crab saw some streamer play akali with no gunblade and is practically basing everything on that. That is bothering me.

If you want to play akali with no gunblade, fine by me but if you say gunblade is trash on her when 83% of players build it on her and it has a 58% win rate on her, then you are in the wrong.

Sofo

Yeah, great job Sofo

Always feels good to hard carry as support

I really can't take much credit considering basically all their lanes lost lol but I like to think I made that possible!

I want more actives but sometimes it gets a bit too much, like Zhonya DFG and Sighstone or Sighstone Randuin Locket/Crucible/Gold item active @_@

Like I wouldn't mind more actives that gave temporary invisibility such as that as Twitch though, but sometimes in TFs it gets a bit stressful button mashing.

blah blah blah. You can literally build anything you want and no one can stop you. The fact that one build is more optimal than another is no threat to your will.

why are people threatening my will :O

people can play better or more optimally or whatever when something aligns with how theyre comfortable playing

numbers games and min maxing are boring thats what stats is for not video games

if you had more actives then people could play around with the effects and it wouldnt be a pure math problem

Nah. Soraka is too frustrating to play. Not worth it.

I dunno what you want. Not uncommon to have between two and four active items on top of summoners.
i want people to stop caring about gold efficiency and go more towards actual strategy and the positives and negatives any item can give you

you cant have that with just a number game

youll get more variety in builds and it would be more fun id think

Nah. Soraka is too frustrating to play. Not worth it.

I dunno what you want. Not uncommon to have between two and four active items on top of summoners.

Yep. On some AD carries you could have at least 2, if not 3 (BotRK, QSS/Scimitar, Ghostblade)

Supports have a lot. Examples being Mikael's, Locket, Talisman, Sightstone, Frost Queens Claim etc.

Just a small sampling.

The game is moving further and further away from raw stat only items.

And as soda cop says, you have your summoner spells on top of that.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
i want people to stop caring about gold efficiency and go more towards actual strategy and the positives and negatives any item can give you
I feel like this already happens. Yeah there are some core items on guys but build paths are pretty situational for how the game is playing out, enemy team comp, your own team comp, etc.

Sofo

Is it silly that I am genuinely looking forward to the Harrowing? I have been playing for some months now but it looks really cool that they do these events and they remodel the rift (a bit?).

Idk, I'll prolly be over it once it starts but it's kinda cool at the same time!

Pd. I guess it helps that I love Halloween-themed shit.

garath

Is it silly that I am genuinely looking forward to the Harrowing? I have been playing for some months now but it looks really cool that they do these events and they remodel the rift (a bit?).

Idk, I'll prolly be over it once it starts but it's kinda cool at the same time!

Pd. I guess it helps that I love Halloween-themed shit.

They haven't reskinned the rift in awhile :(

But we'll get a couple nice Halloween skins. Those are always cool. Plus there will be more ward skins and summoner icons to get.

dimb

I mean, you're getting some not great skins for champions that were relevant five months ago. That's all The Harrowing is. Scariest part is that you'll get a bunch of terrible Leblanc players ruining your games.

Sofo

Oh, so the skins we are getting are the ones on the PBE already? :[

Thought they might have something up their sleeves.. Would be cool if I even owned or played any of these champs. ;x

zkylon

zkylewd
""The items will focus on your job as the jungler, augmenting the kinds of actions junglers need to take (invasion, ganking, etc). Can't promise no junglers will ever just disappear into their jungle to farm forever, but the items generally encourage you to take action, not avoid it.
Now, a successful counterjungler on one team might mean relatively few ganks for lanes - but it will be because of another pvp match happening on the map (directly through combat or indirectly through camp stealing), not because the junglers aren't interested in participating in a pvp game until 30 minutes go by or anything like that. We are looking at ways to let control of the jungle translate into better ability for your laners to roam, but that kind of system would be pretty light and you would not see ganking at today's frequency.""

this is encouraging

With all this Akali discussion my amazing match as Annie has been buried. ._./
if you're interested i think the zhonyas was totally unwarranted against the enemy team and also not really what you want with annie

like if you want damage just rush dfg or morellos, you want burst and cdr so you can spam stuns and zhonyas wasn't that great against enemy team. i like buying rylais on support annie often just cos it makes her really annoying heh

also i recommend buying the boots enchantment that lets you flash more, really useful on annie so you can initiate better

was no country for old karma the last thread name we had before they all became about anime
we don't talk about the dark days anymore

Please stop. Gunblade is essential on Akali and has always been essential on her since her release. I have no idea what you've been watching.

It's one of the main reason why Akali is so snowball-y. The sustain in gunblade plus its synergy with her passive plus the fact that she can reduce the cooldown on its active in mere seconds.

I can't take it. Trying to argue such an obvious item choice on akali is all kinds of dumb.
eh, that's crab for ya, i think he's right with some stuff like sunfire cape not being all that great but too dense to get any actual discussion :I

I mean, you're getting some not great skins for champions that were relevant five months ago. That's all The Harrowing is. Scariest part is that you'll get a bunch of terrible Leblanc players ruining your games.
hopeful happy soraka soda is dead lol

Sofo

if you're interested i think the zhonyas was totally unwarranted against the enemy team and also not really what you want with annie

like if you want damage just rush dfg or morellos, you want burst and cdr so you can spam stuns and zhonyas wasn't that great against enemy team. i like buying rylais on support annie often just cos it makes her really annoying heh

also i recommend buying the boots enchantment that lets you flash more, really useful on annie so you can initiate better

Yeah, Zhonya was like 0 gold efficient because half the time they ignored me. I just expected Lucian to focus me since he seemed to be the only one with a brain! I was building DFG but yeah we ended, if I get the chance to build past DFG I either go for Void Staff or Morello's (Void staff kinda silly maybe?). I literally used Zhonya not even once. ;(

I love Distortion boots! But to be honest I got most picks from jungle fights and ulted through walls so didn't really need ot initiate TFs at all with Flash! In fact, most of the time my Flash was up, which to be honest is a luxury when playing Annie! I probably would have gotten those if the match had continued for much longer!

Really appreciate the insight :3 I'll take it all!

pigeon

Banned

you cant have that with just a number game

youll get more variety in builds and it would be more fun id think

I don't think this has to be a question of active abilities. I feel like League already has this in that correctly building a champion requires choosing between a limited but not canonical set of options for the particular circumstance.

I don't think that this is particularly well communicated to the player right now -- every time I think I know all the items I need to know I discover there's a whole other build path I was just not paying attention to -- and I think a lot of the options aren't really very good right now, but I do think the structure is at least there.

As a general rule, I think that active abilities aren't a great design choice in League, because either they're not that great in which case they're not that great, or they're that great in which case you want to force them on every champ you can conceivably build them on (Zhonya's, Mikael's). It's too significant a power expansion for a game where champs have four abilities.

dimb

If you can make Taric work you can make the goat work
No. Taric is good and helpful. Strong burst with the potential to extend fights even if engaged upon. For the most part Soraka is pretty reliant on teammates doing things properly because everything in her kit is unreliable, so once fights break out you just have to hope your team doesn't screw up really bad. Zero pick potential. Almost no capacity to control the momentum of a fight. All she has is siege. I could keep playing Soraka and maybe do okay, but it wouldn't be because of Soraka specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom