• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT8| Goodbye, Promos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

I mean Lucian is the champion I've played the most recently and I think she has a much lower skill floor than Lucian. Lucian's a 500 range carry that has multiple build paths to optimise his damage depending on what he's against, an ult unique to anything else in the game in terms of how it functions, a different play style to the normal auto-attacking champions.

I'm not saying Lucian's skill floor is immense, but it's definitely higher than Ashe's. Certainly from a functionality standpoint. His skill ceiling is a lot lower.

Ashe's kit is far simpler. Ashe takes more skill to play well, but playing them on a basic functional level Ashe is pretty simple and not as complex as Lucian.
Eh, I think you're wrong on both fronts. Lucian has a higher skill ceiling than Ashe since her kit is more straightforward. There's only so much Ashe can do, even at the highest level of play. Lucian's skill floor is way lower than Ashe. Sure Lucian has 500 range, but does he functionally have 500 range? No way. Lucian barely has to worry about positioning or trading. He has that reliable E, and there's isn't an ADC is the game that can trade with him. With Ashe you gotta focus on minion control and zoning to do well in lane, and I hardly see that even with players that I play with often that are in Gold. It seems like you're getting floor and ceiling mixed up because you're talking about optimizing build paths, that's more of a skill ceiling trait than skill floor.

Quenk

There's not a lot you can do except... keep playing. It doesn't really matter anyway if this is your first account. You don't want to jump into ranked yet.

If this is a smurf and you know what you're doing - get Yi, take teleport, red elixir start, grind TT intermediate co-op vs. AI and end each match in under ten minutes. Still a lot of grinding but it's less time.

Thanks. It's a smurf I'm leveling so that TT tip is great.

Negaduck

Hey all, been busy this weekend but still working on the taric stuff, Here is one of the concept armors I'm working on (want to have at least 5).

Remember it's just a concept so the sketchy lines and that will be cleaned up in the end, this is just to get to idea across.

jYsRKWH.jpg

jerd

I just had a jungle Tryn get mad at me in champ select because "Nid isn't a viable top laner anymore".

Its k tho, I helped the team win and he's still trying to get his wriggles to a feral flare.

Ashe is pretty cool. Her ult is awesome for catching people out. I went 4-0 with her last season. Wish I played her more often.

shes great

i wanna combine her with jinx

although i think she needs to have more gold given to you by leveling up that eagle shot so you can just take it early and farmfarmfarmfarm and have it be worth it

but thats probably just dota talking

Newt

shes great

i wanna combine her with jinx

although i think she needs to have more gold given to you by leveling up that eagle shot so you can just take it early and farmfarmfarmfarm and have it be worth it

but thats probably just dota talking
They changed how that works. Ashe E gives 3 gold always now.

i dont understand the point of leveling that skill at any point then

i guess i dont understand the point of the skill at all
That's the point though. When it used to scale, Ashe would get 1/2/3/4/5 gold, which was fucking pointless because by level 18 you're not going to farm enough to make that +5 gold worthwhile since you always max it last.

When they made it +3 gold flat, the skill turned into a one point wonder, giving her a lot of the later rank's benefits without having to actually level it up, it was a nice buff.

That's the point though. When it used to scale, Ashe would get 1/2/3/4/5 gold, which was fucking pointless because by level 18 you're not going to farm enough to make that +5 gold worthwhile since you always max it last.

When they made it +3 gold flat, the skill turned into a one point wonder, giving her a lot of the later rank's benefits without having to actually level it up, it was a nice buff.

so why is it a skill

throw it in her passive

make all the skills interesting enough that you can at least make a basic argument for different skill builds

make it 5/10/15/20/25 so the gold actually means something

Blizzard

Banned
Correct me if I am wrong, but I suspect there may be several champions where it is almost always best to level up a particular skill first, or last.

Maybe some would argue that should be changed, however.

I'm glad the season ended last week. Been playing Dragon Age Origins again (never played through Awakening) to prepare for Inquisition. Seeing the improved graphics will be great.

Leezard

Correct me if I am wrong, but I suspect there may be several champions where it is almost always best to level up a particular skill first, or last.

Maybe some would argue that should be changed, however.

Eh, that's fine. Several champs have a couple of different skill paths, but not all of them have. I think it's fine that way.

so why is it a skill

throw it in her passive

make all the skills interesting enough that you can at least make a basic argument for different skill builds

make it 5/10/15/20/25 so the gold actually means something
Because for some reason Riot still feels like insisting on that bloody garbage crit passive no one fucking likes.

Q8D3vil

Whats with Azir hate, every time i choose him they curse me to death and by the end of the game they want to be my friends XD.

Blizzard

Banned
Whats with Azir hate, every time i choose him they curse me to death and by the end of the game they want to be my friends XD.
He's a tricky champion. From the limited lolking ranked data, he seems very rarely picked -and- his winrate tends to be below 45%, one of the lowest 10 winrate champions in ranked NA over the last month.

I feel like he's a hardmode champion. If you have a great game with Azir, think how well you might have done using someone EASIER.

Nekofrog

Banned
i hate playing norms right now because i feel like i don't improve as much there due to the enemy's usual "eh who cares it's normal" attitude resulting in games being over in like 20 minutes

then again the ranked 5s we did last night were almost all them surrendering at 20 too so iono anymore

Blizzard

Banned
i hate playing norms right now because i feel like i don't improve as much there due to the enemy's usual "eh who cares it's normal" attitude resulting in games being over in like 20 minutes

then again the ranked 5s we did last night were almost all them surrendering at 20 too so iono anymore
If you play enough ranked where almost everyone has a surrender at 20, don't you eventually get promoted to diamond/challenger? In theory you'll eventually get better opponents who win, or at least make it last longer than 20 minutes.

Nekofrog

Banned
If you play enough ranked where almost everyone has a surrender at 20, don't you eventually get promoted to diamond/challenger? In theory you'll eventually get better opponents who win, or at least make it last longer than 20 minutes.

i don't play a lot of solo q ranked anymore. few games a week.

i'm heavy into the ranked 5s. the level of play, even if marginally, is better than soloq ranked because you have people working as an actual team in those games.

it's a lot different. sometimes.

Blizzard

Banned
i don't play a lot of solo q ranked anymore. few games a week.

i'm heavy into the ranked 5s. the level of play, even if marginally, is better than soloq ranked because you have people working as an actual team in those games.

it's a lot different. sometimes.
That's what I meant, the ranked 5s team should still get promoted and matched against higher levels if you win enough, I would think. At least in theory. It might take a while.

Nekofrog

Banned
That's what I meant, the ranked 5s team should still get promoted and matched against higher levels if you win enough, I would think. At least in theory. It might take a while.

the main problem with that is there is a certain member of our ranked 5s that, after 1 loss, just makes a new team and disbands the old one lol

we could be 10-0 and after that first loss NUKE THE TEAM FROM ORBIT

it's newt

Jeff-DSA

Playing Team Builder just to play on the new SR has provided lots of unintentional comedy. Sometimes I see the most insane match ups. I had a game where our mid lane was unranked, but the enemy mid laner was Diamond. That was a stomp. First blood under 2:00. I've been on the fortunate side of it too. It's crazy how bad the matches can get. So many 20:00 surrenders.

Q8D3vil

He's a tricky champion. From the limited lolking ranked data, he seems very rarely picked -and- his winrate tends to be below 45%, one of the lowest 10 winrate champions in ranked NA over the last month.

I feel like he's a hardmode champion. If you have a great game with Azir, think how well you might have done using someone EASIER.
Azir is secret op, he just need to be mastered though since his kit is really fucking hard (and buggy as hell).

23qwerty

Playing Team Builder just to play on the new SR has provided lots of unintentional comedy. Sometimes I see the most insane match ups. I had a game where our mid lane was unranked, but the enemy mid laner was Diamond. That was a stomp. First blood under 2:00. I've been on the fortunate side of it too. It's crazy how bad the matches can get. So many 20:00 surrenders.

Yeah the matchmaking in teambuilder has been seriously fucked for a while

Jeff-DSA

Well, I put in my time with Twisted Fortune and can play him well enough to take him to ranked. Trouble is, he's just not that great. He's fun, he can make some cool plays, but he has lots of ways in which you can exploit him and punish him. I'll use him in specific situations, but I think he'd be tough to do well with as a main pick.

Next up, Fizz.

I know, I'm a bad person, but I've always wanted to be able to pick Fizz as a strong counter to certain mids. I just haven't ever played him, so I figure preseason is a good time.

Opiate

You are obligated to respect pick order though, and it would certainly be courteous to not pitch a fit over being first loser if you have to take a secondary role.

people need to come to terms with the idea that whatever nonsense they type in the banning phase means nothing.

There is a simple method everyone should practice when they are second in a paired pick phase, wait until 15 seconds are left on the clock and then softlock, then wait for the other guy to lock and adjust accordingly.
--

Actually come to think of it, you probably can get banned for misbehaving over pick order. i seem to recall it happening before, and i've certainly emailed a few screenshots to riot support as manual reports.

This isn't really true -- adult communication obviously trumps formality. The pick order is the nonsense here: it's put in place for children who can't communicate their needs and goals properly. That is, it's there for those who cannot communicate properly, not for those who can.

Blizzard

Banned
For those who had performance issues, try the new Summoner's Rift again. The little announcement diamond in the top left talks about it.

Riot said:
We recently patched the updated Summoner's Rift on Teambuilder and Bot queues with a fix that should help address some of the hitching and framerate issues a few players have experienced. We are still actively investigating the issues and will continue to keep you guys posted with the latest updates.

(from http://status.leagueoflegends.com/?en_US#na)

Negaduck

I call the role I want but I go by pick order also. If I want top and first pick gets it I'll do something else.

Or ask nicely which works sometimes too

I think you vastly overestimate the kind of communication that can be had in draft.

You have like a minute and a half to talk to 4 strangers who may or may not A) be there in the client reading what you're typing B) speak the same language as you do C) be willing to fill certain roles (I had a horrible X player last game so I'll play X instead) or hell, D)be kids that will play what they want to play and that's it

Proper civil conversations about who goes where would always be better? Of course. Does the current nature of draft allow for these types of communications? Rarely, which is why pick order isn't "nonsense", it's a necessary mechanism because if you set a baseline of rules when communication fails you have a modicum of order to fall on that anyone can understand instead of turning draft into a contest who throws shit farther while screaming the loudest.

Opiate

I think you vastly overestimate the kind of communication that can be had in draft.

You have like a minute and a half to talk to 4 strangers who may or may not A) be there in the client reading what you're typing B) speak the same language as you do C) be willing to fill certain roles (I had a horrible X player last game so I'll play X instead) or hell, D)be kids that will play what they want to play and that's it

Proper civil conversations about who goes where would always be better? Of course. Does the current nature of draft allow for these types of communications? Rarely, which is why pick order isn't "nonsense", it's a necessary mechanism because if you set a baseline of rules when communication fails you have a modicum of order to fall on that anyone can understand instead of turning draft into who throws shit farther while screaming the loudest.

I can only say that high level dominion conversations are usually quite constructive, even allowing for some afks (which always happens, but isn't a problem because they presumably have to get back at some point to pick a champion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom