• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT8| Goodbye, Promos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Shut up and take my RP
Trundle_Splash_4.jpg

Tizoc

Hope that Voli skin is released next week, should be able to clear by cc by then and buy that sucker.
I may bite on Eve and Twitch skins too.

Sofo

"Oh btw, I don't know how to play syndra but its preseason so have fun"

..... fucking asshole

But Syndra is just press R to win no? Fking noobchamp

I'm joking pls

Piglet is just currently playing Jayce vs an AD TF!

AD TF killed him first, lol

Quick question.

When you guys ace a team do you go for baron first or go for mid inhib first?

I always say baron first because of the power boost and removing the objective from the other team.

Also with baron you can push the base that much faster and win a team fight easier.

If the enemy inhib tower line is still intact I'd normally want to knock mid inhib tower + mid inhib down then immediately base. You get through the toughest line of defence in the game and get a major power boost with which to contol baron. But there are scenarios when even then I'd want to go baron - a) you are too far behind to win even with inhib pressure, fluked a lucky fight and you just need to hang on, b) your team's siege is much better than their siege defence (e.g. fed Tristana and Ziggs against Akali/Fiora solo lanes) so you can break the inhib tower wall easily with the baron buff.

But always be aware of spawn timers and minion position - if it's not past 30 minutes and the enemy pushed all their waves out you probably have to go baron or you'll be counter-baroned when they respawn if you take the inhib.

Nekofrog

Banned
But Syndra is just press R to win no? Fking noobchamp

I'm joking pls

Piglet is just currently playing Jayce vs an AD TF!

AD TF killed him first, lol

piglet flashed/ignited then just kind of stood around doing nothing by accident lol

Sofo

piglet flashed/ignited then just kind of stood around doing nothing by accident lol

Was it an accident? Idk I was like DDD: what are you doinggg.

Btw fuck matchmaking on Team Builder, our Diana B2 fed a Kat P5 -_-

Also why do people insist on playing Lee Sin when they make mediocre junglers? Like, first learn jungle, then learn Lee Sin, THEN play Lee Sin jungle. wtf.

Like I suck at jungling, therefore try to play easy junglers, in terms of mechanics (maybe the most adventurous I've been has been with J4). Idk, I think it makes fucking sense not to dive into Lee Sin head first.

V_Arnold

Was it an accident? Idk I was like DDD: what are you doinggg.

Btw fuck matchmaking on Team Builder, our Diana B2 fed a Kat P5 -_-

Also why do people insist on playing Lee Sin when they make mediocre junglers? Like, first learn jungle, then learn Lee Sin, THEN play Lee Sin jungle. wtf.

Like I suck at jungling, therefore try to play easy junglers, in terms of mechanics (maybe the most adventurous I've been has been with J4). Idk, I think it makes fucking sense not to dive into Lee Sin head first.

Because people think that because he is seen in LCS, that means he is INSTANTLY the strongest. No effort required, yo!

Just like how people think Quinn cant be ADC just because a pro player would dismantle her with a "proper" ADC. Who cares...

jerd

I honestly believe Lee is pretty weak if you're not at least like a plat level player, and I know some would say even diamond. The things that he does really effectively are just too mechanically intensive for low elo players imo. Just from personal experience tho

If you have the mechanical skill and the tactical efficiency to play Lee jungle effectively, you're probably already playing at at least low Diamond level.

Sofo

Never mind the fact that he didn't buy wards, nor sighstone (not a single ward bought, just trinket), just checked on op.gg. -_-

Shit like this pisses me off lol. I NEED TO BE ZEN!

Newt

Glad this is finally being addressed.

"Gnar - main focus of the changes is to reduce his lane bully potential a bit (we feel he's just too dominant in many match ups), while leaving his late game power intact.

Sona - looking to lower her sustain a bit overall, particularly in cases where a lot of damage has been traded on both sides and Sona/her allies recovery's a bit faster than we think's appropriate

Rammus - Reducing early ganking/dueling power a bit basically. This one especially we'll want to monitor closely, keep an eye on how Rammus does once the new jungle changes roll out."

Tizoc

He's a huge problem. Out of the 3, he's probably the worst balanced. He literally has no weak matchups.

What about Fiora?
When he's Mini Gnar he's absolutely squishy and Fiora could take him down as low as lvl. 2 or 3.

Negaduck

I dunno man. I've never lost top to a gnar.

Just get exhaust and they are easy mode. Gnar players most all in when they transform so just exhaust and kill.

If you don't have exhaust back out and only engage when they are small and have already jumped or are about to turn small again.

Its not a hard lane at all.

Newt

I dunno man. I've never lost top to a gnar.

Just get exhaust and they are easy mode. Gnar players most all in when they transform so just exhaust and kill.

If you don't have exhaust back out and only engage when they are small and have already jumped or are about to turn small again.

Its not a hard lane at all.
Then you probably haven't been playing much ranked, or you're not at the rank where the majority of people have learned to utilize his kit properly. He doesn't have to take any risks in lane.

Tizoc

Then you probably haven't been playing much ranked, or you're not at the rank where the majority of people have learned to utilize his kit properly. He doesn't have to take any risks in lane.

Guess that's me too. If I'm against a Gnar and I'm say Fiora, I rush the poor little fella.

Negaduck

All I play outside of some Aram's is ranked. I've fought a ton of gnar as Garen, sion and jayce. Even nasus and ww.

Maybe all the gnar players I've faced suck but those times I beat them were also without exhaust.

Like I said maybe they all suck but I'm not just theory crafting here I'm talking from experience but I've never had a problem with gnar.

Jeff-DSA

I haven't ran into Gnar very much, but he's one of those champs that I just bully hard and hope that they don't have good mechanics. Normally I get lucky, but I've ran into some really good Gnar players and it's so hard to hang with them in lane.

Opiate

That's an interesting take on it. How do you feel better communication would resolve the issue when multiple players desire the same role? Has Riot released data on whether absolute advantages or comparative advantages should dictate which of the two tops gets the role? Or it is a case that you feel the adherence to convention is unnecessary and that with proper communication the team will do just fine with 3 tops and 2 mids?

I don't think comparative advantages even need to be taken in to account here -- it would be impossible to do anyway, unless people have quantitative data at hand for all roles they play.

It's much simpler than that.

"Hi, I'd like to play mid please."
"So would I."
"Well, do you play any other roles? can we swap?"
"I'd prefer to play mid, but I can play support instead. That's fine."

The end. The number of cases where one cannot reach a reasonable resolution are very few with communication.

Communication makes many things go more smoothly. It's the difference between someone butting in line at the grocery store and simply assuming it's okay, and someone coming up to you directly and saying "My mother is waiting outside and I only have one item to buy. Can I please go ahead of you?" You'll find people respond much more positively to the latter than the former, even if the facts of the case are the otherwise the same.

Newt

I don't think comparative advantages even need to be taken in to account here -- it would be impossible to do anyway, unless people have quantitative data at hand for all roles they play.

It's much simpler than that.

"Hi, I'd like to play mid please."
"So would I."
"Well, do you play any other roles? can we swap?"
"I'd prefer to play mid, but I can play support instead. That's fine."

The end. The number of cases where one cannot reach a reasonable resolution are very few with communication.

Communication makes many things go more smoothly. It's the difference between someone butting in line at the grocery store and simply assuming it's okay, and someone coming up to you directly and saying "My mother is waiting outside and I only have one item to buy. Can I please go ahead of you?" You'll find people respond much more positively to the latter than the former.
The difference with your analogy and league though is that someone butting in line is doing something wrong. They're not entitled to be in the front on the line. It's more comparable if everyone agreed that people in red colored shirts should be at the front of the line, and someone with a red colored shirt butted in line.

People aren't really reasonable in ranked pick in general anyways.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The line is imaginary, a construct placed there to corral unruly players into some semblance of order, something you're perfectly able to do by simply speaking up,

Just like in real life, it's actually possibly to justify "butting in line" through proper communication, although it is admittedly very rare because strangers tend to be insular towards one another.

Ever allowed someone to bypass you at checkout or an ATM if it looked like they were in a hurry? There you go. Shifted seats on a bus/train/plane to accommodate people traveling together but couldn't get adjacent seats? Communication works there too.

Opiate is saying everyone should strive to behave in a more like adults, even if the community is composed of bickering children, rather than rely on unwritten rules to coerce them into one decision or the other.

Newt

The line is imaginary, a construct placed there to corral unruly players into some semblance of order, something you're perfectly able to do by simply speaking up,

Just like in real life, it's actually possibly to justify "butting in line" through proper communication, although it is admittedly very rare because strangers tend to be insular towards one another.

Ever allowed someone to bypass you at checkout or an ATM if it looked like they were in a hurry? There you go. Shifted seats on a bus/train/plane to accommodate people traveling together but couldn't get adjacent seats? Communication works there too.

Opiate is saying everyone should strive to behave in a more like adults, even if the community is composed of bickering children, rather than rely on unwritten rules to coerce them into one decision or the other.
He's operating under the assumption that people are reasonable in their decisions. Sorry to break it to you, but people aren't reasonable and without these rules too many disputes would happen. Anonymity plays a huge factor in this. Of course, you'll have situations where people will communicate, and that is ideal, but if someone takes a role without communicating and they're the higher pick it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, they aren't unwritten rules. There's been official statements on GD.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3449932

Although they prefer communication and collaboration, it's just not realistic for every match (or even most matches). Like I don't think it's fair to call someone a child when they lock in their role if they have higher pick. Sure it's not being courteous, but it's not really being directly rude either.

And I agree, the problem is you can't ask that of a game with players from all ages, levels of maturity, moods and general willingness.

A line is a line. Someone is first, someone is fifth, this is something everyone can respect, and anyone that tries to forcefully change this order is seen as an asshole. That doesn't mean communication can't be used to peacefully come to an agreement. You have one carton of milk, you're paying in cash and someone is waiting for you, if you politely ask people might let you skip ahead since it'll be fast, however that is their prerrogative and someone denying you that isn't a dick by default, no one owes you anything and everyone has their problems. If they say no you're still last and unless you try to forcefully get first, that's where you're staying.

Draft is the exact same. You have a line of 5 players that have the same chances of being first in line, and as long as everyone respects that line, a level of civility can be reached among people that would just elbow their way through otherwise, because it's "the law". If you politely ask mid, often you'll actually get mid if people are chill. The same way, if your best role is mid, you really want to mid and you're first pick, you can go mid without having to justify your own actions to complete strangers because you're first pick. No one is an asshole, no one is trolling, no one owes anyone anything, everyone is simply following a rule that is as fair to you as it is to me and as long as everyone respects it everyone will also have the same treatment when the time to be first pick comes, and this is something any person can understand and adhere to. Communication is implied and people follow other's leads.

Before pick order was officially stabilished by Riot, ranked was fucking chaos. You had people that believed in pick order, people that believed in call order and then people that would go with whatever got them to play what they wanted. This ensued in constant bickering from champ select to post-match lobby and a lot of trolling because everyone wants something different and a couple minutes isn't enough to come to terms with 4 people you never talked to.

If you want to see how far raw communication goes in a game as big as League, go play blind pick SR normals and try to get mid lane. It just isn't feasible and it's the reason why current champ select will be eventually replaced by something along the lines of team builder.

All I play outside of some Aram's is ranked. I've fought a ton of gnar as Garen, sion and jayce. Even nasus and ww.

Maybe all the gnar players I've faced suck but those times I beat them were also without exhaust.

Like I said maybe they all suck but I'm not just theory crafting here I'm talking from experience but I've never had a problem with gnar.
They probably suck, specially if you're winning with Nasus.

Gnar has a 70% ban rate for a reason.

I find communication in solo queue so incredibly difficult that it gives me anxiety and I just avoid it. I think sometimes people don't appreciate how difficult it is to rally together five random anonymous people when you're pulling from such a huge pool. And it's not just League, but the fact that the pool is bigger does make a difference.

Last time I played TB, our support was just simply not listening and constantly complaining about our adc. Time before that, our top laner was calling someone on the other team a faggot. They're going back and forth talking about which one has a girlfriend and which one is gay. They're playing right into the video game argument stereotype all while standing still and dying... because he's typing.

Just like, give me the blue side icon. I don't want to play anymore with these people.

I would rather write Phillip's TTIP essay.

Help.

Newt

I find communication in solo queue so incredibly difficult that it gives me anxiety and I just avoid it. I think sometimes people don't appreciate how difficult it is to rally together five random anonymous people when you're pulling from such a huge pool. And it's not just League, but the fact that the pool is bigger does make a difference.

Last time I played TB, our support was just simply not listening and constantly complaining about our adc. Time before that, our top laner was calling someone on the other team a faggot. They're going back and forth talking about which one has a girlfriend and which one is gay. They're playing right into the video game argument stereotype all while standing still and dying... because he's typing.

Just like, give me the blue side icon. I don't want to play anymore with these people.

I would rather write Phillip's TTIP essay.

Help.
Some people hate toxicity. Others bask in it.

Jeff-DSA

no everyone hates toxic players

some just tolerate them because they need their stupid asses to win that promo game.

I'm 33. I can't stand toxicity in something that I do when I just want to wind down after a day of work and putting two kids to bed. But if I'm in promos, I'll pretend like they're just offering up the sweetest compliments I've ever seen.

drawkcaB

I'm 33. I can't stand toxicity in something that I do when I just want to wind down after a day of work and putting two kids to bed.

Same. Though, honestly, I can't remember the last time I had a truly terrible experience, and certainly not since I've been using TB almost exclusively going back about 3 months.

Jeff-DSA

i'm totally okay with stirring the pot with someone on the enemy team who clearly is unhinged.

improves my chances of winning

All you have to do to wreck another team's chemistry is to say, "sorry for your mid/top/bot lane. I've dealt with teammates like that too" in all chat after a kill and it throws them all on tilt. I don't do it, but I've seen people do it and it's ridiculously effective. People start yelling at their teammate for not playing safe or that person you called out just loses all concentration and rages.

The only time I've done it is during office LAN parties and it's more of a joke, but it's surprisingly effective to single someone else out on the other team and apologize for their lack of ability.

jerd

I don't think it's cheap or a bad strategy to do that. If they're bad/ragey enough to let a little comment like that throw them off that much they don't deserve to win anyway

Is there anyone else here who mainly plays late at night that would be interested in a ranked 5s team? I mainly play early in the day when nobody else is on or after 10 pm or so and I don't always feel like solo queuing. Just for fun obviously so any rank is fine by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom