• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT8| Goodbye, Promos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah dood

now only evil remains

image.php

Opiate

I'm still not seeing how following pick order prevents that.

"Mid"
"Well I wanted to mid too, but you're higher up go ahead."

Same yield happens.

"Mid"
[no response] simply picks what is open

Less communication. Effectively ends up the same.

Think of my grocery store example here: same ending, different responses.

In your grocery example, there was a very clear external benefit to a third party (the mother) and the person did convincing reason (assuming people believe it). We haven't established a benefit to "cutting in line" on the queue. Generally a (good) smurf isn't going to need a specific role as they are quite capable of beating worse players regardless of the starting lane, so the "mother in the car" probably doesn't exist. People will still regularly yield bot to premade duos and/other roles to known players. Simply asking players to wait their turn unless they can offer a compelling reason is bad?

edit: To clarify, I'm not stating that more communication is bad. But, generally pick order isn't bad in comparison to say call order. And given imperfect information sometimes unnecessary. The other person claims he can play support, that doesn't mean (s)he can play support well. Nor does it mean the person who got mid can play it better.

It's much worse, actually, as the example that started this conversation exemplifies. I think a lack of communication is responsible for a significant portion of the hostility that League of Legends is famous for. I'm quite sure, as an example, that if the person had claimed mid and then someone higher up said "I'd really like to play mid, sorry," there would be much less frustration.

sleepykyo

It's much worse, actually, as the example that started this conversation exemplifies. I think a lack of communication is responsible for a significant portion of the hostility that League of Legends is famous for. I'm quite sure, as an example, that if the person had claimed mid and then someone higher up said "I'd really like to play mid, sorry," there would be much less frustration.

Yes a different response in which the person took it at face value instead. It could have just has easily the other way in which the person could have taken it even worse since using parents as an excuse is generally poorly received if the proof is readily available. Not to mention there generally isn't a mom in the car. It'll pretty much come down to either I really want to play x role/I'll suck/feed in y role. Were it to tie back to your grocery example, the person cutting in line basically just gave out that he cut in line because he felt like it.

I do agree the person in the starter example could have typed in something earlier as common courtesy. But there is some value in the pick order. That there may be certain scenarios in the grocery store which allow for exceptions,doesn't mean that lines should exist.

Blizzard

Banned
Yes a different response in which the person took it at face value instead. It could have just has easily the other way in which the person could have taken it even worse since using parents as an excuse is generally poorly received if the proof is readily available. Not to mention there generally isn't a mom in the car. It'll pretty much come down to either I really want to play x role/I'll suck/feed in y role. Were it to tie back to your grocery example, the person cutting in line basically just gave out that he cut in line because he felt like it.

I do agree the person in the starter example could have typed in something earlier as common courtesy. But there is some value in the pick order. That there may be certain scenarios in the grocery store which allow for exceptions,doesn't mean that lines should exist.
I feel like the main point is being missed somehow.

Exactly what point are you trying to prove overall, that you started this argument in regard to? It sounds like in general, you're trying to come up with a defense for people not doing basic, polite, trivial human interaction with talk about "proof" or "yield".

Mandoric

Banned

It's obviously better to communicate, but if it falls through (and it can, especially if 4 and 5 both main the same thing) a "sorry, dude, pick order" seems to help redirect resentment away from you for being "greedy" and toward Rito's sort algorithm or community standards in general.

Blizzard

Banned
what is leagues oracle
Oracle's Elixir used to be available on Summoner's Rift, but is now only an option for maps like the Howling Abyss. The red trinket is a sort of iffy substitute.

If you mean the hero/heroine Oracle, I have no idea. What sort of abilities are you looking for?

Oracle's Elixir used to be available on Summoner's Rift, but is now only an option for maps like the Howling Abyss. The red trinket is a sort of iffy substitute.

If you mean the hero/heroine Oracle, I have no idea. What sort of abilities are you looking for?
well he needs to make one hero invisible and take no damage for 9 seconds with a 20 second cooldown

also can make someone magic immune and purge all stuns on low cooldowns

also a nuke for enemies that heals allies that can be cast every 3 seconds

Blizzard

Banned
well he needs to make one hero invisible and take no damage for 9 seconds with a 20 second cooldown

also can make someone magic immune and purge all stuns on low cooldowns

also a nuke for enemies that heals allies that can be cast every 3 seconds
That sounds powerful. Morgana has a shield that can negate CC at least. There's a support item that can remove CC possibly, but I don't play support enough to be familiar with it.

I heard there was a DOTA 2 champion (Oracle?) who could load everyone up like a train and teleport them to another lane. That sounds funny, or a way to teleport your teammates into a volcano if you did it wrong.

sleepykyo

I feel like the main point is being missed somehow.

Exactly what point are you trying to prove overall, that you started this argument in regard to? It sounds like in general, you're trying to come up with a defense for people not doing basic, polite, trivial human interaction with talk about "proof" or "yield".

Not quite. Opiate reduced pick order to an unnecessary rule in place to deal with poor communication and spoiled children.

First and foremost respecting pick order and communicating aren't mutually exclusive. Second, in his scenario the other player could simply switch to support. Let's say both players do communicate and find out they're about the same in abilities/preferences/whatever. In that case, they'll need some kind of tie breaker.

Skux

Took a break after the season ended and have just come back, the new SR looks and plays fantastic. My only complaint is that minion projectiles are harder to see, I missed a few CS because of it.

bokn

Banned
dis is the real moba megathread

NEW SR CHANGES:
- Drag and Baron have new attacks
- it makes streams nicer to watch
- some jungle camps have moved monsters
- cant leave base for 10s

jerd

Doesn't Dragon wait to spawn until like 2:10 now? You could already practically be done with a large buff and level 2 by then.

She had cdr boots so she at least had to wait for 525 gold. Video is just for fun I guess. Totally impractical

Sofo

Man, why are spanish people so rude in this game wtf. Just did Coop vs AI to get my win and sign off, and this premade with Vayne and Olaf were constantly talking in spanish about KSing the mid Fizz, because he was KSing them (not true, he was just doing Fizz things everywhere). I called them out on their bs and how if they didn't have double-digit assists, it's impossible Fizz was effectively KSing them.

Funny enough, I told Fizz on post-game chat, he was french lol (I guess for once it's a polite french guy!).

But really though, people can be so fucking petty. wtf.

Pd. Bear in mind, I did more damage than Vayne as Lissandra, and wasn't even trying...
Ppd. I'm spanish btw!

Anyone got an opinion on Fiora? I've been having a lot of fun with less mechanics heavy champs (Garen, Malphite, Cho, Taric, ect), but the more ranked I play the more I get that the best champs to carry are those with utility. Zed, LeBlanc, Kat, Riven.

What do you guys think? I

bidguy

Banned
Anyone got an opinion on Fiora? I've been having a lot of fun with less mechanics heavy champs (Garen, Malphite, Cho, Taric, ect), but the more ranked I play the more I get that the best champs to carry are those with utility. Zed, LeBlanc, Kat, Riven.

i felt like she was unstopable once she gets fed in early game but kinda useless if she didnt

the ult is the thing that makes her annoying

Fiora has like... zero utility.

She's strong early, but she must exert that. If the enemy laner can play extremely passively, and other lanes/jungle doesn't get caught if she goes out to roam, her presence really drops. If she falls behind, it's very difficult for her to get back.

Opiate

Not quite. Opiate reduced pick order to an unnecessary rule in place to deal with poor communication and spoiled children.

First and foremost respecting pick order and communicating aren't mutually exclusive. Second, in his scenario the other player could simply switch to support. Let's say both players do communicate and find out they're about the same in abilities/preferences/whatever. In that case, they'll need some kind of tie breaker.

That isn't my point.

Just as I think laws should exist because some people can't behave unless forcefully told otherwise, I think pick order should exist for the children who can't communicate their needs properly.

And just as laws aren't the first line of defense for ethical behavior (They're the last, in most cases), pick order is the last resort for people who won't communicate.

Newt

Fiora has like... zero utility.

She's strong early, but she must exert that. If the enemy laner can play extremely passively, and other lanes/jungle doesn't get caught if she goes out to roam, her presence really drops. If she falls behind, it's very difficult for her to get back.
Don't agree with this at all. All it takes with her current iteration is to get one good ult into the enemy team she really doesn't have to do anything early or in lane.

Leezard

I think that even when she snowballs early, she's kind of easy to shut down in team fights.

Jeff-DSA

Don't agree with this at all. All it takes with her current iteration is to get one good ult into the enemy team she really doesn't have to do anything early or in lane.

I've always felt that her ult is pretty limp if she's behind. And I agree that if she gets very far behind in lane that she sucks pretty hard until she can find an opening to go farm and catch up.

garath

Missouri. I get about 100 on NA and actually got as low as 65 on LAN. Couldn't tell a difference whatsoever but still

I haven't even tried it yet and I know that it will be true for me too. I'm in CT and easily ping better to FL than CA.

Still waiting for those mystical East coast fixes.

Sick of my 117 ping.

Newt

I'm in Calgary (Canada), and I get around 60 ping for League, although it spikes sometimes. Seems weird that I get less than you east coasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom