• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT8| Goodbye, Promos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawkcaB

being good in the jungle and being good outside of the jungle are two different things. sure you could get lucky and get fed as skarner... but then they're still going to get kited by any champion released in the last year and a half.

i say that as someone who loves skarner

I really dislike this train of thought, that unless a champion can give chase they're out of the loop. As it happens, Skarner is a terrifyingly good bodyguard for your carries. Yeah, he can't get to the enemy's back line carries, but he'll gladly return the favour. Just need to pair him with ranged champions. Like, don't pick him with Zed mid and Graves. Xerath, Ziggs, Ashe, Cait, Jinx, etc? Good luck to the other team.

Nekofrog

Banned
I really dislike this train of thought, that unless a champion can give chase they're out of the loop. As it happens, Skarner is a terrifyingly good bodyguard for your carries. Yeah, he can't get to the enemy's back line carries, but he'll gladly return the favour.

if your adc isn't fed then you're not guarding anything valuable

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Not really into the new champion. Really poor design work on it. I'm all for monstrous champions but nothing about it looks distinct or has personality. Maybe that will come out more with voice clips but I kind of doubt it.

I get that there's a focus on the whole burrow mechanic too but it doesn't really make up for the simplicity of her other abilities. In some ways the kit seems overly simplistic inside skirmishes.

Eternum Rak'Sai model viewer shots

sdsadsad.jpg

And here's Rak'Sai's voice (7:19)

drawkcaB

Not really into the new champion. Really poor design work on it. I'm all for monstrous champions but nothing about it looks distinct or has personality. Maybe that will come out more with voice clips but I kind of doubt it.

I get that there's a focus on the whole burrow mechanic too but it doesn't really make up for the simplicity of her other abilities. In some ways the kit seems overly simplistic inside skirmishes.

I'm worried about what to do during teamfights. She deceptively has absolutely terrible initiation power. I'm not even convinced her follow-up initiation is any better. Her splitpush game should be strong, but I kinda worry it'll be like Shaco where if the game drags on too long that's about all she can do effectively.

gotta say i'm disappointed with her voice.

She doesn't actually say anything. That 7 minute clip is her voice and her voice with the Eternum filter. She has like 3+ minutes of noises and that's it.

zkylon

zkylewd
gotta say i'm disappointed with her voice.

She doesn't actually say anything. That 7 minute clip is her voice and her voice with the Eternum filter. She has like 3+ minutes of noises and that's it.

yeah that's really disappointing

like basically she's a female in name only

Blizzard

Banned
So not even a female voice like Cho'gath and Kog'maw have male voices? Why do they call her female instead of "genderless" or "monster" then? Does she have to be female because she's purple? D:

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
yeah that's really disappointing

like basically she's a female in name only
you guys are really weird with the whole, "what makes her a female" stuff.

do you want her to talk about dresses or something?

No but why even bother assigning her a gender if it just feels like a token "it's a female monster!" statement? What is even the point, specially considering she's different from every single other void champion out there?

Give her a personality of some sort and not some random clicking noises and grunts if you're going to do that.

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't understand if burrowed reksai goes through terrain

yeah even female insects have massive boobs
it has nothing to do with boobs

why would i want her to talk about dresses wtf

why is chogath or skarner allowed to have personalities while reksai has to be a growly feature-less thing

it's boring and a waste of an opportunity of exploring a character archetype

no. but a filtered female voice a la the male void champs (Vel'Koz, Cho'Gath, Kog'Maw) have would have been great.

Like if you're going to make a big deal of her being a female monster champion that we've been waiting for as a few Rioters have, there should be something to distinguish her apart from Riot referring to her as a she.

As it is she already has worse VO than probably any other champion because she has no voice lines, irrespective of whether she has a female voice or not. There's no personality to her. It's just clicks and screeches.

zkylon

zkylewd
also you can communicate character through design, animation and voice tone without having lines but reksai is not very interesting in those aspects either

it's very weird because she's the only champion in the game like this

clemenx

Banned
Eh. I'd wait to see it (her?) in game to make judgement. Gnar doesn't have lines but I find his VO really well done. But I'm sure I'd hate it if I just watched the youtube with no context.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
I think it's great that she doesn't have a voice. Makes her unique and gives a better sense of alien-ness to the character.

I'd have also prefferred Khazix to make cute clicking noises instead of having a silly voice tbh.

There's no personality to her. It's just clicks and screeches.

dats speciesist

Like I get what they're going for with it, and the effect is probably better in game. Monstrous thing that burrows into the ground, stalking shit and is scary as fuck. Totally get it.

I just feel the hype about it being the first female monster champion is wasted on something with no real personality or voice lines or anything. This could have easily been a male champion or just an "it", a monster and that's it.

It probably sounds super weird to want the first female monster champion to be "special" or whatever, but it just feels like her gender assignment is to tick a box and that's it.

edit:

champion buffs!

Sejuani
Arctic Assault (Q) damage changed to 80/125/170/215/260 (+.4 AP) from 40/70/100/130/180 (+.4 AP)(+4/6/8/10/12% of Target's Max HP)
Flail of the Northern Winds (W) initial hit damage changed to 4/6/8/10/12% (+3% per 100 AP) of Target's Max HP from 40/60/80/100/120 (+.3 AP).
Flail of the Northern Winds (W) AoE damage changed to 40/70/100/130/160 (+.6 AP)(+4/6/8/10/12% total Health) from 80/120/160/200/240(+.6 AP)(+10% Bonus HP)
Permafrost (E) cooldown lowered to 10/9/8/7/6 from 11
Permafrost (E) damage lowered to 60/90/120/150/180 (+.5 AP) from 60/110/160/210/260 (.5 AP)
Permafrost (E) slow duration reduced to 1.5 at all ranks from 1.5/1.75/2/2.25/2.5

Shen
Shadow Dash ( E) cost reduced to 100 energy from 120 energy

Yasuo
Movement Speed increased to 345 from 340
Steel Tempest (Q) [cooldown now 4 at all ranks from 5/4.75/4.5/4 - need to confirm in-game]

she had one line in that video that reminded me of the orc line in shadow of mordor that just has the orc like chattering his teeth

which i thought was super creepy and awesome

zkylon

zkylewd
I think it's great that she doesn't have a voice. Makes her unique and gives a better sense of alien-ness to the character.

I'd have also prefferred Khazix to make cute clicking noises instead of having a silly voice tbh.
that's because his vo/script isn't good then, not because of him having lines

and despite that he still has his iconic "change is goooood" or whatever

in reksai case it's worse because she's a female and there's nothing to signify that and it's just a wasted opportunity to do something special with her character

it's nothing too serious, just disappointing

edit: also it's not like she should be "feminine". she should just have a personality and i'd like for all champion's gender (as much as sexual orientation, religious beliefs, country loyalties, all that crap) to mean something. like if not she's just female in name only and that's just not interesting imo

Those sejuani buffs. Didn't they just nerf her before patch 4.20?
i don't think so, these are the buffs ricklessabandon was talking about

i didnt know it was hyped up as a "female monster"

that seems really silly

who cares

female just means it produces the less mobile sex cells compared to the other sex of its species

just because you cant tell doesnt make it an it

who cares what her voice or looks are

edit and didnt you guys just get that other female monster lady? shes pretty monstery

my friend had her last night and i was lissandra and he threw me into people and i stunned them and we won

V_Arnold

Like I get what they're going for with it, and the effect is probably better in game. Monstrous thing that burrows into the ground, stalking shit and is scary as fuck. Totally get it.

I just feel the hype about it being the first female monster champion is wasted on something with no real personality or voice lines or anything. This could have easily been a male champion or just an "it", a monster and that's it.

It probably sounds super weird to want the first female monster champion to be "special" or whatever, but it just feels like her gender assignment is to tick a box and that's it.

But why does the default on monsters have to be the male? Given Kalista and her, it does not seem like Riot is just doing this to tick boxes.

If they wanted that, then this one would have been a male and that is it. Not that gender means much in this case.

Edit: to Zkylon: whaaat... I mean...she should not have a gender if it is not just a stat? Characters gotta have a description of he/she/it.
I do not get it. If he would be a he, would it matter less? Why?

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry

Maybe, you know, they made the first monster champion special by not trying to humanize the champion with corny lines and such, opting for a feral approach that was certainly lacking in the roster.

Besides, if you need spoken lines to give a character personality then you're a shitty designer. For instance, I play MonHun. Every single one of the boss monsters is a character in itself - they have their own looks, nuances, behaviours and noises. They have personalities, defined by their actions. None of them talks.

The complaints are dumb.

in reksai case it's worse because she's a female and there's nothing to signify that and it's just a wasted opportunity to do something special with her character

I was going to answer something along the lines of "why should a female of a completely different species need to have a sexual dimorphism characteristic that resonates with human standards".

Then I realized who I am quoting. You just want more waifus, mr zkylon ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

zkylon

zkylewd
ugly post
well like kalista isn't really a monster champion.

and like "female monster" was something that was repeatedly asked for since ever since anivia all monster-y females have just been giant boobs ladies that can transform (elise, nidalee)

so like this is rito's answer to that, and reksai being a female seems like it'll be barely noticeable (not enough information so far but seems that way). at least anivia lays eggs and has a regal voice :I

it's something!

Edit: to Zkylon: whaaat... I mean...she should not have a gender if it is not just a stat? Characters gotta have a description of he/she/it.
I do not get it. If he would be a he, would it matter less? Why?
because there's already been male monsters so if they did a growly lineless male monster it would be covering new ground

doing voiceless growly monster is not bad, just not precisely very interesting to me because it seems to leave reksai without much of a personality

Maybe, you know, they made the first monster champion special by not trying to humanize the champion with corny lines and such, opting for a feral approach that was certainly lacking in the roster.

Besides, if you need spoken lines to give a character personality then you're a shitty designer. For instance, I play MonHun. Every single one of the boss monsters is a character in itself - they have their own looks, nuances, behaviours and noises. They have personalities, defined by their actions. None of them talks.

The complaints are dumb.
i'm hoping this is true. rito's been pretty good at this lately but they've released so many boring ass champions that you never know

I was going to answer something along the lines of "why should a female of a completely different species need to have a sexual dimorphism characteristic that resonates with human standards".

Then I realized who I am quoting. You just want more waifus, mr zkylon ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
well i mean why do you even say she's a female if you're not gonna do anything with it. like she could be a weird hermaphrodite or genderless self-reproducing or who knows what thing. there's tons of possibilities if you're going down the monster route. it's not a big deal but it's disappointing to me at least

also i resent your second point, she's not even a midlaner -__-

The complaints are dumb.
Well this is made by the guy that made Quinn so she could really use some voices ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
i'm hoping this is true. rito's been pretty good at this lately but they've released so many boring ass champions that you never know

Yeah, obv. it's up to rito to pull it off. I'm just noting it can be done effectively.

well i mean why do you even say she's a female if you're not gonna do anything with it. like she could be a weird hermaphrodite or genderless self-reproducing or who knows what thing. there's tons of possibilities if you're going down the monster route. it's not a big deal but it's disappointing to me at least

There's no real need to "do" anything with the fact she's female*. She just is. They're just using the right pronoun.

though I suppose internet artists will find something to do with it real soon

also i resent your second point, she's not even a midlaner -__-

:^)

Well this is made by the guy that made Quinn so she could really use some voices ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Was the bitching this bad when people realized they didn't give Valor a voice? Why even make him male then. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom