• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT8| Goodbye, Promos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
to be honest I think Void Staff is a more problematic item. DFG is not a necessity. It adds gameplay. Void Staff is just a grossly efficient item that's not every expensive and gives you ridiculous power. There is no reason to ever not build Void Staff.

Einbroch

Banned
to be honest I think Void Staff is a more problematic item. DFG is not a necessity. It adds gameplay. Void Staff is just a grossly efficient item that's not every expensive and gives you ridiculous power. There is no reason to ever not build Void Staff.

I'm still shocked there isn't a "ignore bonus armor/MR" category for items yet. Then you could ditch or limit straight up penetration.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Let's remove Last Whisper too!

I have no idea what I'm talking about. It's been forever.

DeadNames

Banned

Yup, and LW too. It's stupid how a pretty cheap item can be so effective with how it scales with your opponent. I get thornmail is like that too and it's also a stupid item.

how does dfg removal = buffs?

Scarizard said that champs that relied on DFG would get compensation buffs.

Void Staff and LW are a whole different can of worms to tackle. Riot has wanted to make them anti-bonus resistance items forever but never got to it since it would require rebalancing all resistance items and stats.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm guessing the assassin buffs will be only half-buffs since if they actually fully compensate they won't really solve the problem.

i really don't like the idea of having one less build path for sure, i think that's pretty awful

gonna give rito the benefit of the doubt and hope they didn't just remove options :/

They tried reworking it and it didn't work out, this change is long overdue
i'm sure the designers at riot are capable of coming up with a suitable rework

i mean that applies to all "stats" items. deathcap is the same, last whisper is the same, etc. i dunno if void staff is op, but mandatory items that just give you stats are always boring

Let's remove Last Whisper too!

I have no idea what I'm talking about. It's been forever.

yep, Last Whisper is a problem too. Unless you're an outlier like Corki or Kog'Maw where you do enough magic damage to make it non-essential, it's pretty much essential on every champion. There's no option there.

I think removing items that have an active component that are non-mandatory instead of changing it is a bad move and only homogenises item builds further both in terms of options and in terms of gameplay. We need more actives and less stat sticks.

edit: here's their context post

"basically Leblanc and Ahri are kinda broken with DFG so instead of fixing their gameplay issues we're going to remove an interesting item that is generally healthy on other champions

oh and we're buffing Ahri. Maybe Veigar at some point we don't know."

zzzzzz

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
yep, Last Whisper is a problem too. Unless you're an outlier like Corki or Kog'Maw where you do enough magic damage to make it non-essential, it's pretty much essential on every champion. There's no option there.

I think removing items that have an active component that are non-mandatory instead of changing it is a bad move and only homogenises item builds further both in terms of options and in terms of gameplay. We need more actives and less stat sticks.

edit: here's their context post

"basically Leblanc and Ahri are kinda broken with DFG so instead of fixing their gameplay issues we're going to remove an interesting item that is generally healthy on other champions

oh and we're buffing Ahri. Maybe Veigar at some point we don't know."

zzzzzz

I agree actually. I think it's more cool to possibly have an item that offers Armor pen as a short active than something that passively gives it!

Who is even healthy with DFG

The whole problem of the item is that it gives burst champions shouldn't have. There are no champions that need DFG to do their jobs, what DFG does most of the time is just dumb down burst by making it take far less effort. Kat is balanced around having to use her ult skillfuly actually fuck that she rushed a stupid item she can just EQW and kill you

I agree actually. I think it's more cool to possibly have an item that offers Armor pen as a short active than something that passively gives it!

Yeah. Like, I would like an item that gives you like... I dunno, 70% bonus armour pen for 6 seconds with a 90 second cooldown or something. It doesn't give you much armour pen in normal scenarios, but if a massive tank is running a train on you you can activate it to try and mow him down.

Obviously numbers would have to be worked on but I think that's a cool concept that's way more interesting than the current Last Whisper.

It could even be a Brutalizer upgrade. Like 50 AD, 10% CDR, 10 flat armour pen and the active.

The only way DFG would be healthy is if Riot made it function as its supposed to - be an answer to tanks - and somehow make it worthless against squishies, but then whats the point of being a tank if you can get bursted down by 1 guy

The only way DFG would be healthy is if Riot made it function as its supposed to - be an answer to tanks - and somehow make it worthless against squishies, but then whats the point of being a tank if you can get bursted down by 1 guy

you could fuse DFG and Void staff. Make it like the magic pen version of Last Whisper. Gives you 60% or 70% bonus magic penetration against a target for x seconds and maybe like 10 flat magic pen outside of it. If the enemy mage is blowing their load on the tank then they're not using it to gib the carry. If they use it to gib the carry they can't stop the tanky bruiser.

There's choice there.

Nekofrog

Banned
tbh i dont see the problem with zed

out of all the assassins he's the most easy to deal with. a QSS or a zhonyas practically removes him from the game as an influence, and a tank toplaner with TP will stop his splitpush pretty fast.

or you can just pick vlad mid and ensure that zed never does anything in the game :3

I dunno. To me there's something not healthy about buying a magic resist item to stop an AD assassin, simply because of its (amazing) active.

Like if that's what you need to do there's probably something wrong there. And then there's the whole thing of Zed generally doing so much damage if he's hitting his skills that his ult proc is rarely needed.

I'd like to see Zed in a situation where he doesn't have the free AD passive on his W. Might encourage healthier build paths than cheap penetration items and a BotRK.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Last Whisper and Void Staff are necessary items in a positive way. They help deal with certain armor or magic resist heavy builds, and the interesting part comes in with when you build them. Certain enemy team comps or even builds will alter the priority of penetration items. These items are not problematic.

DFG is painfully frustrating and assassins are out of control right now. Part of the problem is that there are a number of AP focused items that offer high utility on top of high stat gain. DFG is a primary offender and there is little counter play that exists. Zhonya's is maybe the next biggest offender.

Righteous Glory was a good addition for tanks that provides stats + a strong active, but it rewards offensive play rather than defensive play, which does little to thwart most assassins. Options for building defensively has become increasingly limited.

The problem right now is that most assassins are low risk high reward, and DFG is a major piece of that. It's gross, and even when it's mostly predictable there isn't always much you can do against it. What's worse, the best people for dealing with assassins seem to be other assassins, who all seem to have the mobility or damage negation needed to avoid incoming burst.

Is anyone looking at the game balance right now and nodding their heads to say, "yes, things are in a good place right now?" Riot also really need to look at zone control mages like Azir or Xerath, who have essentially brought back peak Ziggs era stalling with better push/objective control.

DeadNames

Banned
tbh i dont see the problem with zed

out of all the assassins he's the most easy to deal with. a QSS or a zhonyas practically removes him from the game as an influence, and a tank toplaner with TP will stop his splitpush pretty fast.

or you can just pick vlad mid and ensure that zed never does anything in the game :3

I just hate Zed because of how foolproof he is. Easy last hitting, waveclear, splitpush, etc. Also if you pick Vlad mid you're getting reported.

Kha is the most balanced assassin IMO.

Zed is ok for the most part specially with QSS being so cheap, he just has too many fallback patterns for how safe he is. Too much feast, too little famine.
you could fuse DFG and Void staff. Make it like the magic pen version of Last Whisper. Gives you 60% or 70% bonus magic penetration against a target for x seconds and maybe like 10 flat magic pen outside of it. If the enemy mage is blowing their load on the tank then they're not using it to gib the carry. If they use it to gib the carry they can't stop the tanky bruiser.

There's choice there.
This could work.

Nekofrog

Banned
I just hate Zed because of how foolproof he is. Easy last hitting, waveclear, splitpush, etc. Also if you pick Vlad mid you're getting reported.

Kha is the most balanced assassin IMO.

try it. vlad mid is actually (in my view) really good. being in a short, straight lane makes his W even more efficient as a disengage instead of a looong top lane. he poops on assassins not named Fizz (and all they have to do is not have Fizz's Q apply damage even if dodged), and is a late game monster.

tl;dr he poops on assassins (but ban fizz), is super safe in a short lane, and offers great late damage.

Last Whisper and Void Staff are necessary items in a positive way. They help deal with certain armor or magic resist heavy builds, and the interesting part comes in with when you build them. Certain enemy team comps or even builds will alter the priority of penetration items. These items are not problematic.

DFG is painfully frustrating and assassins are out of control right now. Part of the problem is that there are a number of AP focused items that offer high utility on top of high stat gain. DFG is a primary offender and there is little counter play that exists. Zhonya's is maybe the next biggest offender.

Righteous Glory was a good addition for tanks that provides stats + a strong active, but it rewards offensive play rather than defensive play, which does little to thwart most assassins. Options for building defensively has become increasingly limited.

The problem right now is that most assassins are low risk high reward, and DFG is a major piece of that. It's gross, and even when it's mostly predictable there isn't always much you can do against it. What's worse, the best people for dealing with assassins seem to be other assassins, who all seem to have the mobility or damage negation needed to avoid incoming burst.

Is anyone looking at the game balance right now and nodding their heads to say, "yes, things are in a good place right now?" Riot also really need to look at zone control mages like Azir or Xerath, who have essentially brought back peak Ziggs era stalling with better push/objective control.

Firstly, I really don't think Void and LW are healthy items. They're grossly efficient for their cost and while there is a need for counters to armour and MR heavy builds I don't think crazy efficient stat sticks are a good way to handle that. When you build an item doesn't automatically make it interesting, not to mention the choice is 90% of the scenarios is whether you build the item third or fourth. There's not enough there.

Secondly, I don't think DFG in its current iteration is a healthy item. There is potential there for a magic damage amplifying item that DFG could be reworked into instead of completely removing it. Again, part of the issue is that it offers some highly desirable stats on top of it in a butt load of AP and some CDR. A start would be re-evaluating those stats.

Assassins are crazy strong now yes and I'm glad to see them being looked at. As for Xerath and Azir, I know for a fact Xerath is a champion they're watching closely (although why it's taken them so long is beyond me). I'd say we won't see real Azir nerfs until the LCS kicks off and they see what he's like in competitive.

try it. vlad mid is actually (in my view) really good. being in a short, straight lane makes his W even more efficient as a disengage instead of a looong top lane. he poops on assassins not named Fizz (and all they have to do is not have Fizz's Q apply damage even if dodged), and is a late game monster.

tl;dr he poops on assassins (but ban fizz), is super safe in a short lane, and offers great late damage.
IMO Vlad is too easily abused by range, once you go against something like Azir you'll be begging to go back to top lane

I don't mind LW or Void Staff. Penetration is pretty useless if you don't have the stats to make use of it.

DFG though gives you stats, a healthy power spike through the rod, and free burst.

Who do I want next...Irelia or Azir.....Decisions, decisions. Azir seems fun as hell, and can be slightly useful still if behind. Irelia seems strong as hell, but easily countered through item builds (if your opponent in lane is smart).

Nekofrog

Banned
she's not countered through itemization because by the time your enemy laner has items you should already be grouping and deleting squishies

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Firstly, I really don't think Void and LW are healthy items. They're grossly efficient for their cost and while there is a need for counters to armour and MR heavy builds I don't think crazy efficient stat sticks are a good way to handle that. When you build an item doesn't automatically make it interesting, not to mention the choice is 90% of the scenarios is whether you build the item third or fourth. There's not enough there.
You are placing a substantial value on Last Whisper and Void Stafff that simply does not exist. If anything the current set of popular picks with loads of mages being run top and squishy junglers roaming around devalues these items even further. These items are nowhere near as efficient as you seem to be imagining. Furthermore, they do not provide a hard counter to armor or magic resistance, they simply dissuade a champion from ignoring health as a statistic for mitigating damage. The fact that you think building LW as a third item is viable or common speaks to the level of inexperience you have with where builds are at right now.

DeadNames

Banned
Who do I want next...Irelia or Azir.....Decisions, decisions. Azir seems fun as hell, and can be slightly useful still if behind. Irelia seems strong as hell, but easily countered through item builds (if your opponent in lane is smart).

There's really only one champ Irelia straight loses to, and that's Darius, but she can still give him a run for his money.

Her powerspike at sheen is absurd and only increases with Triforce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom