• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT8| Goodbye, Promos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Somewhere down the road, if I try my hand at ranked matches, is it hard to get the support spot? I know it's all draft, so there's no guarantee of getting specific roles, but are there many people clamoring for the spot? It's definitely my favorite position. Could probably do alright midlane with someone like Morgana, but still very much prefer running support.

100% disagree

yasuo wall is a really cool mechanic...

A moving wall you can pop-up in teamfights and block all attacks that pass it's way isn't cool, it's unhealthy for the game.

so is fizz's troll pole
I don't know why it's offered the invulnerability aspect when you can also go in any direction or stop mid-jump and then follow it up with a sheen proc'd attack. Absolute cancer.

Newt

Somewhere down the road, if I try my hand at ranked matches, is it hard to get the support spot? I know it's all draft, so there's no guarantee of getting specific roles, but are there many people clamoring for the spot? It's definitely my favorite position. Could probably do alright midlane with someone like Morgana, but still very much prefer running support.
There's a lot of support players that just play nothing but support, and like the 1/20 game that they don't get support they just end up feeding like hell. Anyways, you should be fine, it's definitely the least popular role.

drawkcaB

it's not really a philosophy thing

It's absolutely tied to their balancing philosophy. How can't it be? It happens over, and over, and over again. Leave a champions alone for months, smash them with 3-4 changes in a single patch.

zkylon said:
i wouldn't ever say there's nothing wrong with how rito does shit

zkylon said:
no need to question rito's balance philosophies or whatever for a numbers problem

Awfully close though...

i just think it's a pretty bad streak

"Streak" implies this sort of stuff comes to an end. Riot talks a big game about how this or that won't happen again, but it's all bullshit. It's immensely frustrating. How can a balance team be simultaneously unresponsive and overhanded and the same damn time?

Newt said:
Like nerf Kass but leave J4 untouched?

Follow the play rate crumbs to unravel this mystery...

Any advice when you first-pick support? I usually go Leona since CC and tankiness is always welcome, but this time I picked Janna because I figure our ADC would need the peel/disengage. It ended up being Ezrael against a Blitz/Trist lane.

Trist's new E is annoying but my shield blocked most of the damage. Ez kept getting hooked without using his E at the same time. He also didn't know how to kite.

Checked after the game and Ez was Bronze IV. I'm 3-3 in placements. Ugh.

Newt

Any advice when you first-pick support? I usually go Leona since CC and tankiness is always welcome, but this time I picked Janna because I figure our ADC would need the peel/disengage. It ended up being Ezrael against a Blitz/Trist lane.

Trist's new E is annoying but my shield blocked most of the damage. Ez kept getting hooked without using his E at the same time. He also didn't know how to kite.

No even gonna lie, counters aren't even a thing botlane until you get past Gold. Just pick what you're comfortable with.

zkylon

zkylewd
A moving wall you can pop-up in teamfights and block all attacks that pass it's way isn't cool, it's unhealthy for the game.
how is that unhealthy? it has a huge cooldown and it's a small area

i play mages and i love that spell, it's easily the most enjoyable part of laning against yasuo, having to play mindgames bait his windwall is awesome gameplay

I don't know why it's offered the invulnerability aspect when you can also go in any direction or stop mid-jump and then follow it up with a sheen proc'd attack. Absolute cancer.
cos if it doesn't have that then you're a melee dude that has to blow their gapcloser to deal damage aka you get blown up in two seconds. he uses it to dodge harass in lane, to make plays and dodge skillshots, etc.

if it didn't have invulnerability then his e ceases to be a playmaking ability and becomes literally just a regular gapcloser and his kit should have to be massively buffed to compensate, which would suck, considering how basic his q and w are.

It's absolutely tied to their balancing philosophy. How can't it be? It happens over, and over, and over again. Leave a champions alone for months, smash them with 3-4 changes in a single patch.
that's ok ignore the dozens of minor nerfs and buffs that happened in the middle

5.1 had minor buffs/nerfs to: corki, elise, eve, gnar, hecarim, janna, jayce (not sure about this), kalista, nautilus, skarner and sona. it had a big nerf to syndra which i think was half justified (aka the e nerf after the bugfix is fine, the damage nerf is not) and a pretty big nerf to reksai which everyone agreed was broken

5.2 had minor buffs/nerfs to: cassi, nidalee and zed. it has pretty big nerfs to all time hated champions like fizz and akali (which btw are very popular) and they totally fucked up the ahri changes and made her broken

go back on the older patches if you want, it's always like this, most changes are minor and some are bigger, which are more risky and sometimes go crazy wrong.

if riot takes it slow (skarner and naut buffs for instance), then they're not doing anything to fix those champions. if riot finally stomps akali and fizz to the ground then their nerfs are too much. like they said already, 120 champions and a million items, balancing this shit is hard, so mistakes are made.

that's why i'm like this is a bad streak, cos these are a few two many in two patches, but that's about it. even if riot made one of my favorite champions pretty much shit, i know it's just a mistake and syndra will eventually be fixed.

Awfully close though...
no it's not? as long as it's a numbers thing it's never a big deal (so turns out buffing ahri w was too much? ok, we nerf it back), but other than that feel free to jab away at riot. i won't agree because i think how they think about balance is really refreshing, even if they often miss the mark because they're dumb.

"Streak" implies this sort of stuff comes to an end. Riot talks a big game about how this or that won't happen again, but it's all bullshit. It's immensely frustrating. How can a balance team be simultaneously unresponsive and overhanded and the same damn time?
i dunno, i don't have much an issue with it. even if i think azir's pretty op (and have been saying it for a while), i don't see him every game and it's not a real issue to me. it's the nature of the game that things will never be perfectly balanced

would be great if rito wasn't so shit at balancing stuff, but i'm tired of whining (tho obviously like everyone i still do it every now and then). so if they remove dfg i'll be upset and voice my discontent with it but that's the game, i'm sure at one point rito will add something to make up for it

i think morg is an all around good pick if you're picking blind, and also janna.

personally i would pick nami or thresh, but tbh those are all i play nowadays

AcridMeat

Banned

i play mages and i love that spell, it's easily the most enjoyable part of laning against yasuo, having to play mindgames bait his windwall is awesome gameplay
Most of laning with any champ is about playing mindgames with your abilities, it's not unique to Yasuo. But in his case, if he gets even a decent one off you're incredibly screwed.

It's not small when it's plonked in the middle of a lane.

cos if it doesn't have that then you're a melee dude that has to blow their gapcloser to deal damage aka you get blown up in two seconds. he uses it to dodge harass in lane, to make plays and dodge skillshots, etc.

if it didn't have invulnerability then his e ceases to be a playmaking ability and becomes literally just a regular gapcloser and his kit should have to be massively buffed to compensate, which would suck, considering how basic his q and w are.

That's Rito's problem then in terms of designing naff kits for their champs. I honestly can't believe an ability like that is in anyway desirable for the game - hence the constant chopping and changing of Zed's R.

jerd

Every melee carry needs a survivability tool. Yasuo's is a pretty high skill one. I've never had a problem with wind wall anymore than I have a problem with Trynd's ult

My only problem with Windwall is that sometimes Yasuo gets to use it in really dumb, brainless ways because it blocks projectiles from every direction unlike Unbreakable, so he gets to do stuff like sitting in it and ignore ranged damage as opposed to using it to skillfully block something important.

Every melee carry needs a survivability tool. Yasuo's is a pretty high skill one. I've never had a problem with wind wall anymore than I have a problem with Trynd's ult

I can root Trynd though or even still attack him for LS or stacks. The same is true for Kayle's ult (CC), Yi (some CC) and even Olaf can still be attacked. Yasuo's is just fucking dumb.

Blizzard

Banned
i would freak if i got someone i know on the other team in ranked
The only time I can remember this happening in ranked was when I played against kayos once. I won that one.

I -think- I once got matched against a GAF 4-premade in a normal queue too, but I can't remember if I won that one or not.

jerd

I can root Trynd though or even still attack him for LS or stacks. The same is true for Kayle's ult (CC), Yi (some CC) and even Olaf can still be attacked. Yasuo's is just fucking dumb.

And you can walk through Yasuo's wall, bait it out, go ham on him when it's down, or just back off. People act like it is a skill without counter play which is just ridiculous. Without it he'd be worthless against almost every mid laner and there are plenty of mid laners that it does next to nothing for him against.

Newt

And you can walk through Yasuo's wall, bait it out, go ham on him when it's down, or just back off. People act like it is a skill without counter play which is just ridiculous. Without it he'd be worthless against almost every mid laner and there are plenty of mid laners that it does next to nothing for him against.
He's already worthless IMO.

Bacon

I bought Yasuo just so I could buy his raiden skin and then I've never played as him except in one bot game. Still worth it

I love Yasuos wall because it's a direct slap to the face to mages and ADCs.

It's a direct slap to anything that's ranged.
I didn't say it didn't have counter-play, except the time it's thrown it pretty much is that way for the vast majority of champions and their abilities in the game.

zkylon

zkylewd
q damage pbe nerfs for azir, losing 10/20/30/40/50 dmg in each rank. tbh, while the number is pretty big, i think he might deserve it.

Most of laning with any champ is about playing mindgames with your abilities, it's not unique to Yasuo. But in his case, if he gets even a decent one off you're incredibly screwed.
i'm not saying it's unique to yasuo, i'm saying it's the most enjoyable part of laning against him, because it's really frustrating to get your syndra ult windwalled, but it's really satisfying when you bait it out, then kill him

It's not small when it's plonked in the middle of a lane.
???

if the yasuo player times it well when 1v1ing and you don't play around it then he outplayed you and it's a good spell. in a 2v1 gank it's tiny enough that he can't block both people and if you have a mobility spell or flash you can easily reposition around it.

if you're fighting on chokes then it's gigantic, but you shouldn't teamfight in tight corridors against yasuo. it's like rumble or something.

That's Rito's problem then in terms of designing naff kits for their champs. I honestly can't believe an ability like that is in anyway desirable for the game - hence the constant chopping and changing of Zed's R.
it's needed for fizz to work. his kit has way worse offenders like his q and his w being effectively brainless spells.

e is a cool spell, like jerd says, melee assassins/light fighters/whatever need survivability tools. yasuo's and (to a degree) fizz's are a lot more situational than an awful one like tryndamere's ultimate

My only problem with Windwall is that sometimes Yasuo gets to use it in really dumb, brainless ways because it blocks projectiles from every direction unlike Unbreakable, so he gets to do stuff like sitting in it and ignore ranged damage as opposed to using it to skillfully block something important.
100% agreed. yasuo needs a bit of a buff tho

and i will say it until the day i die but the ult shield thing is awful

if yasuo is behind his wind wall he can't do anything to you unless you got hit by a knockup in which case it's your fault for not dodging the knockup

tryndamere and olaf and yi ultimates are a million times more toxic than yasuo's windwall, i can't believe that's even up for debate

zkylon

zkylewd
Azir

Base AD increased to 52 from 49
[Checking on this one, hold tight - Soldier AA Range reduced to 325 from 400]
Conquering Sands ( Q ) damage lowered to 65/85/105/125/145 from 75/105/135/165/195
Arise (W) AP ratio on damage to turret reduced to .4 from .6
i think these are pretty alright nerfs, tho have to see how the soldier range feels

less damage on q is cool cos his lategame damage is insane anyways and since the soldier damage is untouched but the range is lowered, basically this change punishes pretty hard missing a q or not positioning soldiers properly cos if they're now too far away you just lost a lot of damage.

w nerf is like whatever, who cares.

Blizzard

Banned
The soldier range feels very short to me already, as a horrible Azir. It's going to be kind of funny if Azir becomes almost completely unused/unviable and is the latest in the overnerf "streak" or whatnot that people were referring to.

jerd

Varus_Splash_4.jpg

lol

zkylon

zkylewd
was just gonna post that. really fun splash, pretty decent mix of silly, sexy and cool

The soldier range feels very short to me already, as a horrible Azir. It's going to be kind of funny if Azir becomes almost completely unused/unviable and is the latest in the overnerf "streak" or whatnot that people were referring to.
yeah, i'm hoping the range won't feel so bad. maybe it's the target range but the actual reach stays the same?

i think it's at least a good direction for nerfing him, leave the soldier damage alone, and make azir more about being good at getting the soldiers poking people

Jeff-DSA

tryndamere and olaf and yi ultimates are a million times more toxic than yasuo's windwall, i can't believe that's even up for debate

I would like to co-sign on this.

You know what's more stupid than it all though? I can see a Nidalee gank incoming, root her with Zyra's E (plus a slowing plant), put an exhaust down on her, and she can STILL catch my ADC. Now that's dumb. This is why I hate her in the jungle. Between spears, insane mobility, and crazy damage, she's just a near broken menace.

zkylon

zkylewd
Come on Riot. New skins pls.
i think dj sona is like enough skins for me for a while

hard to take all her fat butt tightsuit carameldancing glory in at once

You know what's more stupid than it all though? I can see a Nidalee gank incoming, root her with Zyra's E (plus a slowing plant), put an exhaust down on her, and she can STILL catch my ADC. Now that's dumb. This is why I hate her in the jungle. Between spears, insane mobility, and crazy damage, she's just a near broken menace.
it took a long while but after her rework i said nidalee would jungle some day and it finally happened!

i dunno if she's broken tho, barely even playing the game lately

If your ADC ate a spear from a rooted Nidalee then he deserves to die.

garath

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is your ADC doing that a rooted, exhausted Nidalee can still catch him? I believe you but it seems like a long shot.

To do what you just described, he has to stand within the not super large (anymore lol) pounce radius of which your ADC needs to be marked by getting hit by a spear or stepping on a trap instead of running from the Nidalee that can apparently one shot him. Even if he's that close, a decent flash will get him out.

It sounds more like the ADC didn't realize he could die from a gank and just stood around looking stupid.

There's a lot of junglers that have gap closers besides nidalee that will close on an immobile adc and do a mess of damage - Jarvan (E->Q), Lee (hit Q), Kha'zix (just jump with evolved E), Vi (ult or Flash Q or even just Q). They all happen to be Tier 1 (or tier 1.5 in Kha'zix case). It's the meta my friend. Bad ADCs everywhere will suffer.

Blizzard

Banned
Fizz feels awful. Just got him in an ARAM, got fed, still struggled to burst people.
Is it possible to really get many levels ahead in ARAM though? That's a difference between ARAM and Summoner's Rift, since I imagine the levels help with bursting people pre-level-18.

zkylon

zkylewd
before they fixed the camera too

edit:
Ability Music Layers:

DJ Sona starts out with a base track at the start of the game. Upon using Q / W / E the first time in any form, it will add a new music layer to the base.

ie) You start the game with base music in Kinetic form. Press Q once and it adds a new bass layer to the base music. This will already be applied if you change to any other form.

Epic Ult Music:

Upon using her ultimate the first time after she puts a point into it, the base music (with all layers applied) will change to sound fuller and more "epic." This applies to all her forms."

so fucking cool

edit2: this is also very cool (in-client match history)

2.jpg

Jeff-DSA

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is your ADC doing that a rooted, exhausted Nidalee can still catch him? I believe you but it seems like a long shot.

To do what you just described, he has to stand within the not super large (anymore lol) pounce radius of which your ADC needs to be marked by getting hit by a spear or stepping on a trap instead of running from the Nidalee that can apparently one shot him. Even if he's that close, a decent flash will get him out.

It sounds more like the ADC didn't realize he could die from a gank and just stood around looking stupid.

There's a lot of junglers that have gap closers besides nidalee that will close on an immobile adc and do a mess of damage - Jarvan (E->Q), Lee (hit Q), Kha'zix (just jump with evolved E), Vi (ult or Flash Q or even just Q). They all happen to be Tier 1 (or tier 1.5 in Kha'zix case). It's the meta my friend. Bad ADCs everywhere will suffer.

The ADC didn't die. It took all of that and Nidalee had to turn back at turret after dealing a some damage. It still tilted the lane in the other team's favor though, because our ADC had to back. I just thought that it was crazy that laying all that cc on her would still let her get into attack range. I put the root down in the freaking river bush on her.

Yes, we were pushed up, but with a ward and my cc, I wouldn't have guessed that Nidalee could close that much distance. But on top of that, it's just stupid annoying to have spears sending people to back all across the map. She just needs to hit one, and she can practically machine gun the things.

Edit: The big difference between Nidalee and the other super mobile junglers is that if they miss the gank they don't have one hail mary ability (the spear) that can chunk 60% of the life off of your ADC from a distance. Yeah, you can dodge, but it's super powerful and frustrating when you already did so much to control the situation and they still get lucky.

garath

Chinese new year ain't until the 17th. I doubt we'll see these skins until next week at best.

I know. They usually don't take too long once they've been announced in patch notes though. The 5.2 patch said the warring kingdoms ones would drop sometime in 5.2. It's taunting me.

I bought that $100 with bonus rp ages back and I still have over 12k. Need to spend it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom