• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT8| Goodbye, Promos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leezard

Let's be honest here. AD TF still deals loads of damage in the late game if you have a typical adc build, the main problem is his range and lack of scaling on abilities. His mid and early game are much shittier than par as well.

The single condition for AD TF to win a duel against other lategame adcs is that he quickly gets into their range and hits a stun. If he hits a stun without being half-dead already, it is likely that he will kill the opponent simply by being able to deal damage during a period of time before they can answer it.

TF will lose if he takes significant damage before he hits his stun, or if he does not hit his stun at all. This will occur in a couple of different scenarios:
  1. The enemy adc doesn't know how to orb walk/ attack move to stay out of his range.
  2. TF uses his ult next to the enemy with gold card ready and the enemy adc can't get out of his range or position to cc tf. Most adcs have the tools to do that.
  3. Sivir fails to block the stun
  4. The adc does not have QSS, cleanse or Banshee's.
The way I see it, the outcome of the duel is entirely dependent on the opponent's skill rather than the AD TF's skill. The TF's skills can essentially only contribute to picking gold card in the first rotation rather than the second rotation.
TF always losing if the enemy adc has QSS is a good tell of the matchup.

Jeff-DSA

I'd be interested to see how a late game AD TF fared against a late game MF. With her W and a Phantom Dancer, she can attack ridiculously fast and shred with crtics coming from the IE. If she has a BT, the life steal would definitely give her the edge if the initial burst didn't kill her.

Edit: I usually get a Banshee's Veil on MF. So yeah, never mind, I'd murder that TF.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Comparing 1v1 duels late game is pretty pointless when grouping is such a major part of the game at that stage. Because TF can only stun one target at a time he's pretty helpless up close in team fights, even if you are quick on yellow draws.

Nekofrog

Banned
lets be real here

all his ad tf experience is in bronze and silver. if you're getting to late game at any other elo, you'll probably never find their squishy carry off by themselves for a 1v1

edit: oh dimb just kind of said that

Leezard

There is no orb walking in league. Animation canceling maybe but no orb walking.

Also orb effects don't stack.

Kiting/orb walking is interchangeable verbiage in League.

Yeah, pretty much. I've played dota so I know what it means in that context, but the term has been used before like this in this thread. As long as everyone know what each other is saying it should be fine. :)

Comparing 1v1 duels late game is pretty pointless when grouping is such a major part of the game at that stage. Because TF can only stun one target at a time he's pretty helpless up close in team fights, even if you are quick on yellow draws.
This is also a major point against AD TF. Range is extremely important during real late game, even more important than in the non-realistic 1v1 late game.

Negaduck

The old man dota player in me has a hard time letting that slide though because kiting and orb walking are two completely different things.

Kiting is just using spells and abilities to keep the person chasing you at bay to kill them while you stay safe.

Orb walking was casting the orb spell (drow frost arrow or viper poison) instead of setting it to auto cast to allow you to animation cancel as soon as it was cast to allow you to chase the person you are casting it on which can be used offensivly as well as defensively.

Kiting is just defensive where as orb walking was used also mostly offensive.

They really aren't the same lol.

But if everyone wants to use that term I will concede (yet still cringe when its used improperly)

Ferrio

Banned
But if everyone wants to use that term I will concede (yet still cringe when its used improperly)

Really the only difference is one is chasing the other is retreating. You do the same thing in lol with certain abilities, and an auto attack is not much different than a manual cast drow arrow anyways.

Newt

Is it? I think the range is the only redeeming factor. It just doesn't seem to do much damage. But I may be using it wrong.
Once you get some items it does less single target damage than Q+ autos, but the damage is still quite good if you're hitting 3/4 people.
Wait, I have to activate the W then ult? I just thought it did it automatically.

/embarrass
Uhh, no. You don't have to activate it.

Negaduck

But orb walking isn't just using spells while retreating or advancing. Its replacing every auto attack with the orb affect by casting it instead of letting it auto cast. Not just using a spell whenever it is off cool down.

There is a huge difference.

Ferrio

Banned
But orb walking isn't just using spells while retreating or advancing. Its replacing every auto attack with the orb affect by casting it instead of letting it auto cast. Not just using a spell whenever it is off cool down.

It isn't a huge difference. One is manually casting your auto attack canceling it, walking forward repeat. The other is auto attacking, cancelling, walking forward, repeat.

It's the same principle, only in DOTA you have to trigger the on hit skill manually.

Oh lord, I think I just coordinated the entire team and was writing more than killing, we won because they heard me and ward the shit out the map where I told them to ward.

brian!

It isn't a huge difference. One is manually casting your auto attack canceling it, walking forward repeat. The other is auto attacking, cancelling, walking forward, repeat.

in dota manually casting toggle spells would allow you to cancel faster

i dunno why someone would get semantic about it in league, you can't even cast toggle spells in this game

Ferrio

Banned
in dota manually casting toggle spells would allow you to cancel faster

I'm well aware of that, but that's an engine difference. The act and purpose are pretty much the same. Dota is a bit more involved because of the manual activation, but both take advantage of animation cancelling and using it to stay in range of your opponent.

Leezard

In Dota it is indeed a huge difference, especially due to the turning rates that makes it not very useful to orb-walk defensively. Having to turn around all the time to autohit or back is bad for that.

Ferrio

Banned
Also fuck orb effects, one of the things I hated in DOTA. The ruleset for what overrode what etc was also stupid, and was a limitation due to the WC3 engine. I was really upset when I learned dota brought all that archaic shit along for the ride. That's not what i imagined from a sequel when playing DOTA 1.

Leezard

Also fuck orb effects, one of the things I hated in DOTA. The ruleset for what overrode what etc was also stupid, and was a limitation due to the WC3 engine. I was really upset when I learned dota brought all that archaic shit along for the ride. That's not what i imagined from a sequel when playing DOTA 1.

Agreed. The old Dota I knew would move away from it and do new stuff. :/ It used to do so much new stuff.

Type2

Man so much of this new thread consists of random posts and ad tf debates.

What I'm trying to say is lets talk more anivia!
Rito why did you change the way her q cast works? It makes no sense to move her if casting out of range for the way that skill works. You pretty much always want to aim it max range and press q again to pop when you hit your mark. The new auto feels nice but ihave some getting adjustments to make after playing her a ton before the "buff".
Gosh I love that wall.

Sofo

yea when i start having dreams about how much i suck i know it's time for a break

see you guys in the preseason

You will never match my first match ever as Syndra, I promise, lol. That was a feedfest if I've ever seen one!

/cheer up

Why concede? You're not in the wrong about orb walking. Yours is the correct definition, the alternative is a bastardized interpretation. Next you'll bring up the silly notion of "one-shotting an enemy = using your full skill rotation" or worse, pretending that "could/would/should of" is valid!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You can kite with spells. Unless you consider auto attack modifiers "spells", it's really not the same thing.

For example, I can "kite" with Vengar + Rylai, but I can never actually orb walk with him since he has no orbs.
Well, technically I can because the idea of orb walking has gone beyond orb effects and can be applied to any kind of continuous auto attack canceling.

You can orb walk with Clinkz' Searing Arrows, but that wouldn't be kiting. Orb walking implies attacking instead of spells, since orb attacks are effectively normal attacks.

Negaduck

You've renewed my vigor!

There is no orb walking in league!

eQGqOPN.jpg

Opiate

o5du6Fs.jpg

The Hexakill mode has rapidly evolved. First, nobody knew what to play. Heavy emphasis on ranged. Quickly, that gave way to assassin heavy comps with lots and lots of Katarina, Yi, and Wukong.

Now I'm having disproportionate success with control-ish tanks as a consequence.

Tizoc

AP assassin Malphite is so good, sadly I tend to die to Top or lose my lane in every game, but come team fights, I wreck their shit, and then eventually we win.
I mainly go RoA>Deathfire>Hourglass>Void Staff>Defense.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The easiest way to see the difference between the two terms is this:

You can kite with Anivia's Glacial Storm. Just casting it on top of someone moving in or running away constitutes kiting them. If you don't synchronize it with your other spells, it wouldn't be particularly good kiting, but it'd be kiting nonetheless.

You cannot Orb Walk Glacial Storm. You can animation cancel a lot of her stuff, and really, you need to if you want to be a halfway decent Anivia. Somewhere in her rotation is an argument that what she does is similar to Orb Walking. But unless you're doing something on top of merely pressing R, it's Glacial Storm is not Orb Walking, but it is kiting.

RE: Orbs stacking
HoN tried turning all Orbs on at all times. That didn't turn out so well, and they switched to the current system at some point. It can't be changed without revamping hero/item balance on a large scale, and that doesn't guarantee a better game. A more clear and intuitive game, sure, but not necessarily better. It's like Flash. Not saying Orbs are as critical to Dota 2 balance as Flash is to League, but it's not something to consider lightly. It's grandfathered in, if you will, because the alternative is too much work for too little gain.

Nekofrog

Banned
we should file this orb walking convo under "who cares" and get back to talking about how underpowered syndra is

srs riot pls buff syndra

Ferga

Stop basing your tf arguments purely on your own experiences Heavy.

Youre arguing with plats and diamonds who have a lot more game knowledge than you.

Ad tf can not duel most adcs because he has 0, literally 0 steroids or scaling damage skills he can actively use in a fight. Zero!

Youre completely reliant on hitting a gold card to win and its easy as hell to avoid yellow cards. You have to be a complete idiot if you see tf run pick a card and still run up to him.

Plus the fact all adcs have a way to kite tf with either an escape skill or a slow.

Im all up for you playing the champ in an unconventional way but stop spreading wrong information. Especially when there are people who read the thread for advice.

Leezard

Actually, you know what. Let's just use kiting and let the term orb walking sleep with dota as it deserves. It is the correct use after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom