• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think the legs thing was just to make this game feel more like TF2... lol

Speaking of which, now that L4D2 is done, I do hope they go back making moar TF2 stuff.

syllogism said:
That picture above is probably from the 360 version considering how much more detailed the official male boomer picture looks

That's a screenshot from someone hacking the PC demo to play versus in campaign mode. The female boomer just looks... bland... compared to the male boomer.

Ookami-kun said:
Speaking of which, now that L4D2 is done, I do hope they go back making moar TF2 stuff.

How many classes do they have left? Two? I know they haven't gotten around to the soldier and demo man yet. Has the engineer gotten his upgrades? It's been a while since I played TF2.

1up

TheOneGuy said:
Yeah I kind of like this.

I kind of want Valve to go even further with this concept but I wonder if they would. They seem to love immediate recognizability in things (e.g., the TF2 silhouettes).

You hear the "bacteria" music as a survivor whenever a new infected has spawned.

Let me see if I can find it on youtube.

Here are all the Left 4 Dead 2 bacterias.

::EDIT:: Also, I'm so pumped for this game. I took off Tuesday.

Twig

Banned
wayward archer said:
How many classes do they have left? Two? I know they haven't gotten around to the soldier and demo man yet. Has the engineer gotten his upgrades? It's been a while since I played TF2.
Three left. The three you named.

And it's not like they've stopped doing TF2 stuff. Lest we forget the AWESOME Halloween event map. (Which admittedly is user-made, but Valve made the ghost and shit!)

I think I fancy the female boomer because she looks like Paula Dean.
0826deena350x400-714966.jpg
Dean-lightful!

1up

JoeFu said:
Shoulda took Wednesday off... you know... valve time

They've been good on actual product release dates. Especially when they are on consoles as well. Left 4 Dead 1 released at midnight without a hitch.

JoeFu

Banned
1up said:
They've been good on actual product release dates. Especially when they are on consoles as well. Left 4 Dead 1 released at midnight without a hitch.

But the demo! remember the madness?!!

JoeFu said:
But the demo! remember the madness?!!
That's because they found a show-stopping bug. People would have been pissed either way.
Jtyettis said:
Just got my OXM in and they gave it a 9.5 while speaking very highly of it. Cannot wait.
That's the same score they gave for L4D1.

TuxBobble

So guys I know I'm a bit LttP, but...

what am I missing out on if I never played the first, and skipped straight for L4D2?

I played the original's demo but my computer couldn't quite handle it. Now that it's got a RAM boost, it can run 2. But I'd rather save my money from buying 1 if it's not necessary/worth it.

Any thoughts?

TuxBobble said:
So guys I know I'm a bit LttP, but...

what am I missing out on if I never played the first, and skipped straight for L4D2?

I played the original's demo but my computer couldn't quite handle it. Now that it's got a RAM boost, it can run 2. But I'd rather save my money from buying 1 if it's not necessary/worth it.

Any thoughts?
You're missing the original cast and the original campaigns. Simple as that. Weapons and features have all been carried over and added to in the sequel, though.

Kintaco

Anyone need another person for a 4 pack? I can't start my own unfortunately, but I can get in on one that has an empty slot.

TuxBobble

RocketDarkness said:
You're missing the original cast and the original campaigns. Simple as that. Weapons and features have all been carried over and added to in the sequel, though.

But is that anything worth worrying about? I don't really see myself playing L4D for the story, personally...

But if I'm wrong, I'd like to be corrected now...

Twig

Banned
He said nothing about story!

Characters. They're great. And campaigns. They're great.

You won't be missing anything in L4D2 for not having played L4D1, but you will be missing out on some excellent gaming in L4D1.

Question remains whether or not all the people who play 1 now will continue playing 1 after 2 is out, though.

TuxBobble

TheOneGuy said:

You won't be missing anything in L4D2 for not having played L4D1, but you will be missing out on some excellent gaming in L4D1.

Question remains whether or not all the people who play 1 now will continue playing 1 after 2 is out, though.

Sorry. I generally lump "characters" and "levels" as part of "story".

I guess what I should have called it was "context". i.e. who, when, where, etc.

TheOneGuy said:

Pretty much this. The characters are great fun to get to know. Excellent voice acting and the chemistry between them makes them incredibly memorable. The campaigns have some pretty cool set-pieces as well.

Honestly, I'd pick it up next time it's on sale just to have it.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
TheOneGuy said:
I doubt it. Although I'm sure there will be people around to play L4D because they didn't pick up L4D2.

fallengorn said:
I doubt it. Although I'm sure there will be people around to play L4D because they didn't pick up L4D2.
Well, I certainly wouldn't mind going back every once in a while to revisit the old cast and campaigns. It certainly wouldn't be a normal part of my playlist, though. L4D2 has so many awesome new modes and weapons, it'll be a little difficult to go back. Plus there's going to be a mass migration of servers from L4D to L4D2, so server pickings might be scarce. :lol

fistfulofmetal said:
well when you install L4D2 it will bring all your L4D content into the same game. so i could see myself playing older campaigns
Pretty sure that hasn't been confirmed, at all. But at worst, they'll quickly be ported by the mod community, so that's almost the same.

Twig

Banned
TuxBobble said:
Sorry. I generally lump "characters" and "levels" as part of "story".

I guess what I should have called it was "context". i.e. who, when, where, etc.
Characters maybe.

Levels?

Really?

fistfulofmetal said:
well when you install L4D2 it will bring all your L4D content into the same game. so i could see myself playing older campaigns

That would be nice, but I haven't read that anywhere.

Niblet

Can anyone remind me of when Valve discounted L4D1 for the first time on steam and how much they sold it for. I am trying hard to hold out on this to save the monies.

Niblet said:
Can anyone remind me of when Valve discounted L4D1 for the first time on steam and how much they sold it for. I am trying hard to hold out on this to save the monies.
You'd have to wait for the holidays, and you might be able to get it for $5 less than a 4-pack preorder.

Zeliard

TheOneGuy said:

They have very different feel and atmosphere to them - neither games are scary, but L4D1 sets a much more ominous tone. Even though the gameplay is largely identical, playing the L4D2 demo felt surprisingly different to play L4D1.

WaltJay

Niblet said:

On Steam, I can't remember, but I think the retail version was on sale during Black Friday on Amazon.

I'm hoping for the same thing this year since the 360 version is going to be $35 at Best Buy on Black Friday.

TuxBobble

TheOneGuy said:
Characters maybe.

Levels?

Really?

Yea there's enough of a distinction there. Sorry as I haven't been able to think through posts today, on a deadline at work lol. And yet I'm still here...shame.

Anyway, I was intending to say "story mode" i.e. campaign. But I guess the levels are the same single player vs. multi anyway, so it wouldn't make much of a difference. (It's not like Call of Duty where the multiplayer levels are only themed like their original campaign levels, for instance)

My fault, just tired and rushing posts.

Well going to tell my brother that it'll be 35 dollars at Best buy during Black Friday. Need to save up for that day anyways. and it's only one week wait.

Twig

Banned
TuxBobble said:
Yea there's enough of a distinction there. Sorry as I haven't been able to think through posts today, on a deadline at work lol. And yet I'm still here...shame.

Anyway, I was intending to say "story mode" i.e. campaign. But I guess the levels are the same single player vs. multi anyway, so it wouldn't make much of a difference. (It's not like Call of Duty where the multiplayer levels are only themed like their original campaign levels, for instance)

My fault, just tired and rushing posts.
Hah, fair enough.

There isn't much of a story to L4D in the first place, so you're not missing out on story even IF you cared.

Nonetheless, it'd be a shame if you dismissed the characters outright just because of your lack of interest in story. The interactions between them as you play through the campaigns is pretty great.

But as for the levels, I mean obviously it's unique content that you won't get in L4D2. (Well, I'm sure someone will port it over if Valve doesn't, but the levels are designed without the new weapons and infected in mind so it might end up too different? Who knows.)

LovingSteam said:
Yea man, I am psyched! I am surprised more people aren't posting here, I wonder if L4D2 isn't going to be as popular on GAF as part 1 was.

It will be. There just isn't much to talk about at the moment. I think we know all there is available to know, at this point.

That, and we're all still playing the first one.

vertopci

gregor7777 said:
It will be. There just isn't much to talk about at the moment. I think we know all there is available to know, at this point.

That, and we're all still playing the first one.

This :lol

Amir0x

Banned
I think everyone has chose their bed on what they feel about this franchise, but judging by the crazy marketing campaign this title is getting and the fact that VALVE has seen historically high pre-orders for this game, I don't think it matters what GAF thinks.

Left 4 Dead 3 here we come!

vanty

I guess I've given up on getting in on a 4-pack, so if any American would be kind enough to gift me the game I'll just pay the full $45 or whatever it is.

Well I can't wait to join up for some zombie killing with all of you. Do you think that I should add a section for everybody to post their Steam ID/GT in the OP or leave that for the multiplayer forum?

Top Bottom