• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
These are fun, but I guess its strange to see a Valve product getting explained so thoroughly. Usually their games leave a lot to the imagination and user interpretation.

Twig

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
These are fun, but I guess its strange to see a Valve product getting explained so thoroughly. Usually their games leave a lot to the imagination and user interpretation.
You must have missed the many TF2 comics and also the Meet the Class videos. U:

In a recent interview they explain how different mediums are good for different kinds of storytelling, and they're experimenting with everything they can. After the success they've had with TF2 comics... well...!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Twig said:
You must have missed the many TF2 comics and also the Meet the Class videos. U:

In a recent interview they explain how different mediums are good for different kinds of storytelling, and they're experimenting with everything they can. After the success they've had with TF2 comics... well...!

Of course Ive seen the TF2 stuff :) Those didnt feel weird at first, because even the character intro's were vague enough, but when they introduced the announcer chick, it felt kind of forced to me (still funny, of course)

Twig

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
Of course Ive seen the TF2 stuff :) Those didnt feel weird at first, because even the character intro's were vague enough, but when they introduced the announcer chick, it felt kind of forced to me (still funny, of course)
Define "forced."

Raging Spaniard

Well, by my interpretation, it was forced because it was only done to extend the relevance of the product. With her character I enjoyed the theories about her rather than seeing the character in a comic book. Valve games are nuanced enough for the player to have some info and make their own stories with that info, but that ability was lost in order to keep the game relevant to the fanbase.

By the way, just because I think it was forced doesnt mean I didnt enjoy it or that it wasnt a good idea, but that was the impression I got.

jambo

9g1VQ.jpg

Awesomeness, really loving this comic.

Twig

Banned
Lionheart1337 said:
Twig = game developer white knight
Nah, I was just curious what he meant by "forced". This is the kind of thing I like to talk about with people who aren't idiots.

I mean, you're free to be a bitch and/or asshole if you want. That's your prerogative! Just leave me out of it.

Raging Spaniard said:
Well, by my interpretation, it was forced because it was only done to extend the relevance of the product. With her character I enjoyed the theories about her rather than seeing the character in a comic book. Valve games are nuanced enough for the player to have some info and make their own stories with that info, but that ability was lost in order to keep the game relevant to the fanbase.

By the way, just because I think it was forced doesnt mean I didnt enjoy it or that it wasnt a good idea, but that was the impression I got.
Fair enough. I would say that, in L4D's case and especially in TF2's case, that Valve Storytelling Charm that we all have come to know and love/hate is much less relevant than their other big franchise(s, if you include Portal). I'm not sure how I'd feel about a HL2 comic, but I guess it really just depends on the specific plot points they would touch on.

not that it matters since half-life has gone the way of the birds ;_;

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Twig said:
Nah, I was just curious what he meant by "forced". This is the kind of thing I like to talk about with people who aren't idiots.

I mean, you're free to be a bitch and/or asshole if you want. That's your prerogative! Just leave me out of it.

Fair enough. I would say that, in L4D's case and especially in TF2's case, that Valve Storytelling Charm that we all have come to know and love/hate is much less relevant than their other big franchise(s, if you include Portal). I'm not sure how I'd feel about a HL2 comic, but I guess it really just depends on the specific plot points they would touch on.

not that it matters since half-life has gone the way of the birds ;_;
Eh, Valve so far is all technique when it comes to story. Portal was a very simple focused tale so it worked well, but the story of HL is really generic and average. Valve are much better with characters and technique than actual plot or ideas. The only reason to care about a HL comic would be if it was showing stuff that would be better off shown in its native medium. And to see how they would handle Freeman (probably wouldnt involve him)

Twig

Banned
HK-47 said:
It doesnt matter cause Half Life has a fairly generic story. All that matter is the storytelling, which Valve is among the best in the industry. It loses a lot of what makes it special when you move onto other mediums.
That's... my point.

Though it's not that generic.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Twig said:
That's... my point.

Though it's not that generic.
Yeah it kinda is. Post Apocalyptic resistance force opposing alien oppressors rally around messiah figure. Multiple games do that since its really easy to write since the player gets to be badass and do everything necessary to move the plot forward and no one questions him. And there really isnt more to it than that so far. The mystery of the G Man is the one thing that intriguing to me. And 1 is very basic (though at the time only SS1 had bother to tell any kind of story in a FPS, so it stood out). The content is boring and pretty standard. The way its told is something to be emulated.

Twig

Banned
The basic premise is generic.

But you can say that about almost any goddamn story in any goddamn medium. The details and characters are good, etc.

Now Half-Life 1 had a shitty story.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Twig said:
The basic premise is generic.

But you can say that about almost any goddamn story in any goddamn medium. The details and characters are good, etc.

Now Half-Life 1 had a shitty story.

No I'm saying it pretty cliche and nothing special outside of how its told. I find people praising the story rather than the storytelling kinda odd. The world is easily more compelling than the main plot. They are pretty good with characters and great with technique. But the stories are basic and have little depth to them. Basically I find Valve in terms of writing and story to be a mixed bag and only special cause most everyone else fucking sucks or doesnt care.

Also their characters are really helped because they value facial animation, especially in the eyes.

Twig

Banned
HK-47 said:
No I'm saying it pretty cliche and nothing special outside of how its told. I find people praising the story rather than the storytelling kinda odd. The world is easily more compelling than the main plot. They are pretty good with characters and great with technique. But the stories are basic and have little depth to them. Basically I find Valve in terms of writing and story to be a mixed bag and only special cause most everyone else fucking sucks or doesnt care.

Also their characters are really helped because they value facial animation, especially in the eyes.
I know what you're saying. I think it's pretty obvious I disagree. Is it not? I'll make it clearer for you:

I DISAGREE

Happy now?

Also: storytelling is part of story. So is the world. So are the characters. SRY.

Story cannot be boiled down to: main plot. It is everything together that makes a good story.

Sibylus

Banned
Twig said:
Also: storytelling is part of story. So is the world. So are the characters. SRY.

Story cannot be boiled down to: main plot. It is everything together that makes a good story.
Oh my god, I agree with Twig about something .D.

Blizzard

Banned
Versus survival again! It's one of the better ones in my opinion, since even if you lose, you still get to kill the survivors eventually. :D

Volcynika

Blog

Week 23
September 24, 2010 - L4D Team

Survival Versus, What Form?, What the what?

Versus Survival
Can you survive against your friends?

The first Survivor team sets the time. The second team tries to beat it. Then the first team tries to beat the second team's time. Then the second team tries to beat the first team's time. And then the... you get the idea. Rounds keep switching until someone fails to beat the previous time.

This is a great way to try Versus. Rounds are only as long as you can keep beating each other’s times. There are no rushing Survivors. Infected spawns get quicker as the time increases. It is mayhem filled with all the weapon perks and items. What’s not to like? Give it a try.

What Form?
We are onto part 2 of the comic, part 3 is coming out on Tuesday. Besides being released on the web, are there other formats you would like to see?

Our first localized version (Russian) will be coming out soon. We are also releasing versions of the comic to help with localization. Make sure to check it out in its current form and we will be announcing other formats in the future.

Here are your votes by platform.

Xbox 360
45% All
30% Television
10% Just Web
7% Mobile Device
7% Print

PC
33% All
25% Just Web
24% Television
10% Print
9% Mobile Device

What the What?
Sorry no poll this week and no new mutation next week. With the release of the new DLC October 5th we want to be able to make some changes to our infrastructure leading to that release. On the 5th we will have a new Mutation and we mean NEW!

The DLC “The Sacrifice” will be available for the XBOX 360, PC, and Mac on October 5th. It will include the new Campaign “The Sacrifice” and the Left 4 Dead 1 campaign, “No Mercy”. In both campaigns you will be able to play as the Left 4 Dead 1 Survivors but you will be using Left 4 Dead 2 weapons and items against Left 4 Dead 2 monsters!

Don’t forget, the Midnight Rider’s Save Me Some Sugar video contest. Submissions are due by October 1st. Make sure to promote your video online using the Steam forums or our facebook pages! For more information visit http://www.midnight-riders.com/videocontest/.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Excellent! Versus Survival is great fun with people you know. And I wonder if that means it's gonna last 2 weeks.

Sibylus

Banned
My network problems are driving me nuts. I'll be playing L4D2 and get packet loss and choke (sometimes both at once) at seemingly random times, sometimes even during utterly quiet parts of the game. Sometimes my ping will climb insanely high and plummet back down, again, not seemingly linked to any activity in the game. No apparent link between my wireless stick's signal strength and any of the problems (it's excellent 80-90% of the time). If my ISP was throttling my connection, wouldn't it be fairly continual throughout gameplay? It's just sheer and utter chaos right now.

Changing the DNS server does nothing (my ISP already provides the closest and fastest), and I have no idea whatsoever where the problem is or what the scope of the issue is. Is it my PC? My router? My entire network? .

Add in weird shit like this (network appears to have been... cloned?):

9TueZ.jpg

... I am fucking going insane here >:mad:

Twig

Banned
Botolf said:
My network problems are driving me nuts. I'll be playing L4D2 and get packet loss and choke (sometimes both at once) at seemingly random times, sometimes even during utterly quiet parts of the game. Sometimes my ping will climb insanely high and plummet back down, again, not seemingly linked to any activity in the game. No apparent link between my wireless stick's signal strength and any of the problems (it's excellent 80-90% of the time). If my ISP was throttling my connection, wouldn't it be fairly continual throughout gameplay? It's just sheer and utter chaos right now.

Changing the DNS server does nothing (my ISP already provides the closest and fastest), and I have no idea whatsoever where the problem is or what the scope of the issue is. Is it my PC? My router? My entire network? .

Add in weird shit like this (network appears to have been... cloned?):

9TueZ.jpg

... I am fucking going insane here >:mad:
Have you tried going wired?

I was randomly getting disconnected from the wireless at my new place all the time despite the router being less than thirty feet away, but once I plugged it in physically, all my network problems went away. U:

Daigoro

The DLC “The Sacrifice” will be available for the XBOX 360, PC, and Mac on October 5th. It will include the new Campaign “The Sacrifice” and the Left 4 Dead 1 campaign, “No Mercy”. In both campaigns you will be able to play as the Left 4 Dead 1 Survivors but you will be using Left 4 Dead 2 weapons and items against Left 4 Dead 2 monsters!

so is there going to be DLC for L4D1 as well, or is it 2 only?

its going to be cool playing as the old Survivors with the new weapons and SI. cant wait for new dialog.

Sibylus

Banned
Twig said:
Have you tried going wired?

I was randomly getting disconnected from the wireless at my new place all the time despite the router being less than thirty feet away, but once I plugged it in physically, all my network problems went away. U:
It'd be annoying to sling cable up here (I'm on the floor above the router).

Volcynika

Daigoro said:
hm. thats what i had thought, but that quote makes it sound like 2 DLC only.

anyone know what content 1 is actually getting?

1 is getting the Sacrifice, but will not have the L4D2 items/infected in it. That's basically it. They're giving it to people with either game so people that only have L4D2 don't have to buy L4D1.

Sibylus

Banned
xero273 said:
Is it only l4d that is doing this? If you don't want to test using wired then you shall remain slowtolf forever.
Happens sporadically across most of the games I play on Steam. My sisters can be using their laptop several feet from the router and they still experience the same sort of issues.

Twig

Banned
Botolf said:
It'd be annoying to sling cable up here (I'm on the floor above the router).
I wasn't saying to do it permanently, but at least to test it out and see if it's actually your network or if it's just wireless interference or some such.

You wanted a way to narrow the problem down, and I offered such a thing! Now you're not going to do it because it's "annoying"!

Sounds like you're a masochist, and trying to hide it. U:

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I wonder if they will give Mac gamers some ingame item to signify their superiority over us peasants the way they did in TF2. Maybe an like hipster outfits for the 4 survivors?

Stallion Free said:
I wonder if they will give Mac gamers some ingame item to signify their superiority over us peasants the way they did in TF2. Maybe an like hipster outfits for the 4 survivors?
Awesome :lol

EDIT: Where can one watch, say, L4D2 tournament videos or something? I'm in a "watching" mood.

MoFuzz

dragonlife29 said:
Awesome :lol

EDIT: Where can one watch, say, L4D2 tournament videos or something? I'm in a "watching" mood.
there's some confogl vids I was watching the other day on youtube. Just type confogl into the search bar. If you're not aware, it's a custom config that aims to make the game a lot harder for survivors to make it to the saferoom by removing tier 2 weapons, health packs, reducing infected spawn timers, etc.

Top Bottom