• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MoFuzz said:
there's some confogl vids I was watching the other day on youtube. Just type confogl into the search bar. If you're not aware, it's a custom config that aims to make the game a lot harder for survivors to make it to the saferoom by removing tier 2 weapons, health packs, reducing infected spawn timers, etc.
More like it aims to remove the fun, amirite? :lol

vazel

Banned
Botolf said:
My network problems are driving me nuts. I'll be playing L4D2 and get packet loss and choke (sometimes both at once) at seemingly random times, sometimes even during utterly quiet parts of the game. Sometimes my ping will climb insanely high and plummet back down, again, not seemingly linked to any activity in the game. No apparent link between my wireless stick's signal strength and any of the problems (it's excellent 80-90% of the time). If my ISP was throttling my connection, wouldn't it be fairly continual throughout gameplay? It's just sheer and utter chaos right now.

Changing the DNS server does nothing (my ISP already provides the closest and fastest), and I have no idea whatsoever where the problem is or what the scope of the issue is. Is it my PC? My router? My entire network? .

Add in weird shit like this (network appears to have been... cloned?):

9TueZ.jpg

... I am fucking going insane here >:mad:
This is a basic wifi troubleshooting step but try changing the wifi channel.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
So for those who were going to replay L4D1 this week for the Sacrifice coming up does anyone need a 4th? I absolutely can't play Sept. 30th but i'll play 2 campaigns in one go or all of them if need be.

Volcynika

Posted?

http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=4397

the_sacrifice_poster.jpg

“The Sacrifice” is the prequel to "The Passing," and takes place from the Left 4 Dead Survivors' perspective as they make their way South. You may read the comic to find out the official version of events or this October 5th you may play the game to choose your own ending.

In "The Sacrifice" for Left 4 Dead, gamers receive the complete Sacrifice campaign with maps playable in Campaign, Versus, and Survival. There are 5 new achievements, a new style finale and plenty of places for devastating Hunter pounces.

For Left 4 Dead 2, gamers receive “The Sacrifice” campaign and L4D1’s “No Mercy” both playable with the L4D1 Survivors. This version also offers 5 new achievements. In the L4D2 version of “The Sacrifice” each campaign is playable in Campaign, Versus, Survival, and Scavenge modes, and both "The Sacrifice" and L4D2 version of No Mercy feature the Left 4 Dead 2 Special Infected, items, and weapons. Yes, Zoey with a chainsaw!

"The Sacrifice" will be available as two separate packages on Xbox Live for 560 Microsoft Points each and free to all PC gamers.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Botolf said:
My network problems are driving me nuts. I'll be playing L4D2 and get packet loss and choke (sometimes both at once) at seemingly random times, sometimes even during utterly quiet parts of the game. Sometimes my ping will climb insanely high and plummet back down, again, not seemingly linked to any activity in the game.
That's weird, Left4Dead's network code is actually quite good and...

No apparent link between my wireless stick's signal strength and any of the problems (it's excellent 80-90% of the time). If my ISP was throttling my connection, wouldn't it be fairly continual throughout gameplay? It's just sheer and utter chaos right now.
Oh.... Ok, I'll let you in a little secret: Wireless sucks.

No, really, it does. For everything. Only thing it's any useful at is checking email and web browsing. Even downloading sucks ass.

Throw some CAT5 cables under the carpet, inside some phone ducts, out the window on the outside. Anything.

Either that or live with shitty reliability until SuperWifi (which runs on a much cleaner wave spectrum) takes off.

Sibylus

Banned
Twig said:
I wasn't saying to do it permanently, but at least to test it out and see if it's actually your network or if it's just wireless interference or some such.

You wanted a way to narrow the problem down, and I offered such a thing! Now you're not going to do it because it's "annoying"!

Sounds like you're a masochist, and trying to hide it. U:
"Annoying" as in across a living room, around a corner, up a flight of stairs, around another corner, down a hallway, and across my room. I don't even know if I have a cable long enough :|

vazel said:
This is a basic wifi troubleshooting step but try changing the wifi channel.
Done this often, doesn't seem to help anything long term.

drizzle said:
Oh.... Ok, I'll let you in a little secret: Wireless sucks.
So it would seem :<

Blizzard

Banned
That poster can't be real -- Zoey looks a little wrong, perhaps, but not HORRIBLE. I expect the official one to be worse!

Also, I notice they mentioned plenty of space for hunter pounces. Maybe they noticed their own reduction (elimination?) of hunter curves combined with their apparent hatred of rooftops in some of the other L4D2 maps.

Botolf said:
Place is rented, not really an option ;p
Where there is a will, there is a way. Is it a house? If so . . perhaps you can crawl in crawl space and pull some cables?

Not? Can you run the cable along the baseboards. Maybe go out a window and back in another window?

It really is best to game wired.

Sibylus

Banned
speculawyer said:
Where there is a will, there is a way. Is it a house? If so . . perhaps you can crawl in crawl space and pull some cables?

Not? Can you run the cable along the baseboards. Maybe go out a window and back in another window?

It really is best to game wired.
True, there could be some things I could try. I'll try to stretch a cable as far as I can and see if it performs any better for starters.

"The Sacrifice" will be available as two separate packages on Xbox Live for 560 Microsoft Points each and free to all PC gamers.

It is like free advertising for Steam every time they release these. Or perhaps I should say, it is like they are trolling Xbox Live. :lol

Zomba13

Botolf said:
True, there could be some things I could try. I'll try to stretch a cable as far as I can and see if it performs any better for starters.
You could do what I do. Use these things you plug the ethernet cable into and they plug into your plug socket/extension cable. It transfers the connection from one of the plug things, through the power cables and to the other one and the plug thing connects to your PC and the router.
10273-img8012s.jpg

That is similar to mine. Works great, better than wireless but not as good as a direct connection, at least how it seems with me.

Sibylus

Banned
Going to test out the wire in L4D2 sometime tonight. Hopefully all goes well.

Zomba13 said:
You could do what I do. Use these things you plug the ethernet cable into and they plug into your plug socket/extension cable. It transfers the connection from one of the plug things, through the power cables and to the other one and the plug thing connects to your PC and the router.
http://images.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/10273-img8012s.jpg
That is similar to mine. Works great, better than wireless but not as good as a direct connection, at least how it seems with me.
Power over ethernet, right? I've heard of it, though I know nothing about it :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I haven't heard anything regarding the chapters for Sacrifice. So it will be 2 like the older add-on maps?

Botolf said:
My network problems are driving me nuts. I'll be playing L4D2 and get packet loss and choke (sometimes both at once) at seemingly random times, sometimes even during utterly quiet parts of the game. Sometimes my ping will climb insanely high and plummet back down, again, not seemingly linked to any activity in the game. No apparent link between my wireless stick's signal strength and any of the problems (it's excellent 80-90% of the time). If my ISP was throttling my connection, wouldn't it be fairly continual throughout gameplay? It's just sheer and utter chaos right now.

Changing the DNS server does nothing (my ISP already provides the closest and fastest), and I have no idea whatsoever where the problem is or what the scope of the issue is. Is it my PC? My router? My entire network? .

Add in weird shit like this (network appears to have been... cloned?):

9TueZ.jpg

... I am fucking going insane here >:mad:

What operating system you running man?

Daigoro

The Sacrifice. that poster is tits!

Volcynika said:
1 is getting the Sacrifice, but will not have the L4D2 items/infected in it. That's basically it. They're giving it to people with either game so people that only have L4D2 don't have to buy L4D1.

k thanks. i was never clear on that.

SO! 2 seperate DLC packs for 360 huh? fuck me! :lol that's some bullshit right there.

ive kept up so far, but i might have to wait for a sale on this one. one of them at least...

that's pretty fucked up though.

Wow, the new poster looks great. I like that they've kept up with the trend of having Zoey look completely different every time.

I also got around to reading the 2nd part of the comic.

:(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
In No Mercy you won't be playing the new survivors tho, right? Darn.

Also, weird - part three should be out.

Volcynika

Ookami-kun said:
In No Mercy you won't be playing the new survivors tho, right? Darn.

Also, weird - part three should be out.

Weird? Valve has to sleep! It says the date for it is today, it'll be up in the afternoon-ish.

k thanks. i was never clear on that.

SO! 2 seperate DLC packs for 360 huh? fuck me! that's some bullshit right there.

ive kept up so far, but i might have to wait for a sale on this one. one of them at least...

that's pretty fucked up though.

Mostly due to compatability issues, I wouldn't doubt they had to slightly alter areas in each version to aim towards each game's strengths, mostly due to the SI and the weapon differences. And they each have new achievements for each game, which Microsoft obviously won't hesitate to charge for.

Volcynika

Sadist said:
Will the Sacrifice include new achievements btw?

In the blog post I posted but now bolded! :p

"In "The Sacrifice" for Left 4 Dead, gamers receive the complete Sacrifice campaign with maps playable in Campaign, Versus, and Survival. There are 5 new achievements, a new style finale and plenty of places for devastating Hunter pounces. "

Nabs

derFeef said:
Did not know Turtle Rock worked on the DLC as well (they twittered). Nice!

:eek: that explains why the L4D blog says there will be many high damage spots for the hunter. they care <3

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nabs said:
:eek: that explains why the L4D blog says there will be many high damage spots for the hunter. they care <3
If only we could guarantee getting a Hunter and truly curve our pounces now. Vert really fucking needs to put the Inf chooser back on.

The comic will be up around 10 PM GMT, at least it went up during that time the last two weeks.

Excited that it's onyl a week before the Sacrifice comes out :D DerFeef, MNC, Sadist: we need to establish when we are going to play the L4D1 campaigns!

derFeef

Stallion Free said:
Hopefully the trailer will drop today as well.
Trailer! When did the one for The Passing hit?

OmegaDragon said:
The comic will be up around 10 PM GMT, at least it went up during that time the last two weeks.

Excited that it's onyl a week before the Sacrifice comes out :D DerFeef, MNC, Sadist: we need to establish when we are going to play the L4D1 campaigns!
I will be ready, none of my buddies own L4D1 ;)

Botolf said:
Are you just using the default windows xp wireless connection tool? There was an issue with both xp and vista that while using wireless, would cause lag spikes every 60 seconds, since it would be looking for other networks every minute. This issue can sometimes be resolved by using the wireless connection software that came with your wireless adapter, instead of the default windows one. What adapter you using?

MNC

OmegaDragon said:

Friday eve til sun eve (night is okay) is a no go for me but for the rest I'm pretty much available every weekday evening.

Edit: LOL @ zoey's comeback for bill :lol

Botolf said:
When I used XP and WiFi, the Wireless Zero Config would refresh the connection every minute or so and I'd get huge lag spikes. Try disabling it, but you have to enable it at bootup to find the connection again IIRC, so I created a shortcut to it on the desktop. It's been a few years, but I am pretty sure it was Wireless Zero. Try that.

http://tech.ifelix.net/2007.html

Guide to enabling, but it will work for disabling; just click "stop."

gdt

I just ordered L4D 1 and 2 (360) from Amazon, just have some quick questions:

-Are these games still good single player experiences?
-Do they have split screen co-op? I'm assuming they do...

Maybe silly question but is there a way to get side by side split screen on THE LFD 360 Games. I prefer that to 1 screen on top and 1 on the bottom.

gdt5016 said:
I just ordered L4D 1 and 2 (360) from Amazon, just have some quick questions:

-Are these games still good single player experiences?
-Do they have split screen co-op? I'm assuming they do...
- Only for so long...
- Yes.

Aika'svyse said:
Maybe silly question but is there a way to get side by side split screen on THE LFD 360 Games. I prefer that to 1 screen on top and 1 on the bottom.
I'm not sure, but I think you can go into the options and change how they appear (vertical, horizontal).

Sibylus

Banned
It's aaaalmost here! :3

Mr Nightman said:
Are you just using the default windows xp wireless connection tool? There was an issue with both xp and vista that while using wireless, would cause lag spikes every 60 seconds, since it would be looking for other networks every minute. This issue can sometimes be resolved by using the wireless connection software that came with your wireless adapter, instead of the default windows one. What adapter you using?
I used the software that came with the adapter, the screenshot from earlier showed part of its GUI.

The adapter is one of these (though the chassis looks different).

Mr Sandman said:
When I used XP and WiFi, the Wireless Zero Config would refresh the connection every minute or so and I'd get huge lag spikes. Try disabling it, but you have to enable it at bootup to find the connection again IIRC, so I created a shortcut to it on the desktop. It's been a few years, but I am pretty sure it was Wireless Zero. Try that.

http://tech.ifelix.net/2007.html

Guide to enabling, but it will work for disabling; just click "stop."
It would seem that this is already disabled. Probably not the problem then?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hey guys I really appreciated how all 4 of you attacked me exclusively at that start of map 2 last night. Felt good, real good.

Also, don't forget to save up your space bucks for next week! You need at least 0 for L4D2 since we play that the most, but I'm sure at least a couple more of us will pony up the extra 0 to get it for L4D1 as well.

I think I can only afford one of them. I'll probably go for L4D2, but then I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford the 0 for the No Mercy remake, and that's FIVE maps instead of three. Maybe I should pass up The Sacrifice since we rarely play the short campaigns in versus anyways?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RocketDarkness said:
I think I can only afford one of them. I'll probably go for L4D2, but then I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford the 0 for the No Mercy remake, and that's FIVE maps instead of three. Maybe I should pass up The Sacrifice since we rarely play the short campaigns in versus anyways?
Yeah I figure if I am paying this much Vert better let us play it every now and then.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Why would I pay $0.00 for the Sacrifice when it costs just as much money as air? I need air way more than I need your downloadable content, Valve.

FFS, start paying me to download this shit or GTFO.

Top Bottom