• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

owlbeak

Argh everyone talking about this game now makes me want to buy it. I haven't played a game like this since the 90s. Any reviews up yet?
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/legend-of-grimrock

Currently rocking an 84 (10 reviews) Critic average and a 9.3 (27 reviews) user average. At $13, you can't really beat it. You'll get your money's worth in the first two levels. Game looks really great for what it is, plays awesome, and the atmosphere is excellent! Looks like there will be a dungeon editor or at least additional dungeons released at some point because you can choose what dungeon to play in the beginning. Only one right now, of course.

Ledsen

My god! Those phalanx of dead soliders. How the fuck are you supposed to kill them? I think there were like two groups of them near the end of level 2. I ended up just having them follow me back to a trap door and walking off of it so they'd fall. Hope I don't have to deal with them later. :(

You just strafe around them to avoid their spears and hit them until they're dead. Not very difficult.

scy

You just strafe around them to avoid their spears and hit them until they're dead. Not very difficult.

I always manage to screw up getting a hit on all of them with my melee guys and then someone ends up with half EXP. I think I may need to let go my desire to keep everyone at the same EXP ... :/

bengraven

This game is so good, I'm loving it so far. Right now I'm at 3rd floor and the dungeon just had a massive earthquake. I seriously almost shat my pants.

near the end of 2nd floor there is a gate that says you have to be patient to be able to open. I've waited for like 10 minutes but it's not opening. You think I have to wait longer?

Rest.

I'm an old school PC gamer, but never got into dungeon crawlers. The reactions in this thread are seriously tempting me.

What's the balance of puzzles and combat? Do the puzzles become challenging in a mindbending way?

I'm an old school PC gamer, but never got into dungeon crawlers. The reactions in this thread are seriously tempting me.

What's the balance of puzzles and combat? Do the puzzles become challenging in a mindbending way?

Some reviewers have said they're of Portal 2 quality later on. Headscratchers that make you feel brilliant when you finally get it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That statue with the description "feed me", what do I feed it? I tried stuffing food down it's mouth, but it won't take it.

SparkTR

According to reviews I've read puzzles are a massive part of the game and do get very mindbending later on.

kyubajin

Posted this on the official Grimrock forums and maybe it's OT worthy.

Following this WINE thread (Grimrock forums) pointed me to the magnificent Porting Team wrapper which has everything needed to install the game and enjoy the game on Mac OS X.

More info from the Porting Team:

Minimum Specs:
- CPU: Intel Based Mac
- RAM: 2GB
- Video: GPU with 256MB Ram (512MB recommended)
- Disk Space: 800MB

Known Issues:
Sometimes, at start, mouse clicks are not properly recognized - just change window resolution or restart the game

Installation:
1) Unzip the Port
2) Double click the wrapper > Select Install Windows Software > Select exe file from GOG or Humble Games > install

I have a late 2009 27-inch iMac with a C2D 3.06 GHz, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB VRAM and 4GB of RAM and can run the game flawlessly at 1920x1080 with everything maxed but textures.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
My god! Those phalanx of dead soliders. How the fuck are you supposed to kill them? I think there were like two groups of them near the end of level 2. I ended up just having them follow me back to a trap door and walking off of it so they'd fall. Hope I don't have to deal with them later. :(

Yeah like Ledsen said you just keep strafing around them, it's fairly simple just time consuming. If you have a mage you can also use the fireball spell which hits all 4 soldiers at once.
If there's no open space I always fall back to a corner and hit them before they get a chance to turn then keep falling back to the next corner and so on.

So far the hardest enemy I've had to fight is the spiders because they're so fast and it's hard to use the same tactics to kill them as it is with most others.

syllogism

That statue with the description "feed me", what do I feed it? I tried stuffing food down it's mouth, but it won't take it.
When you clear the nearby area of slimes, you should find a rectangle shaped button, which opens a small room that has a green gem

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Yay I finally found the bow... after already saying "fuck it" and blowing the 12 points I was stockpiling on thrown weapons.

Is the "Quick Throw" perk in Thrown Weapons something I need to activate somehow or some sort of passive effect?

Oh wow I think I figured out why my rogue seems so weak, I didn't spend any points in Strength because I didn't think it had any bearing on ranged attacks. lol

I really want this game, I just wish it had a Demo... I'm still pretty sure I'm buying it. Etrian Odyssey made me a huge fan of these kinda games.

Minsc

Gold Member
Oh wow I think I figured out why my rogue seems so weak, I didn't spend any points in Strength because I didn't think it had any bearing on ranged attacks. lol

While Strength does help as it improves your damage stat, I'd guess skill rank itself is more important based on a dev's comments here (or at least some mix of both):

I think what might have confused you guys is that you might have been overestimating the value of str and underestimating the value of high skill levels

Seems like people are really disappointed though. They wanted to be straightforward by saying strength = all damage, dex = all defense, but that ends up being unintuitive to any gamer who's ever played these sorts of games.

Ledsen

Seems like people are really disappointed though. They wanted to be straightforward by saying strength = all damage, dex = all defense, but that ends up being unintuitive to any gamer who's ever played these sorts of games.

Doesn't dex only affect accuracy and evasion? As far as I understand, the only thing that affects defense is the armor you're wearing and some skills/traits like armor skills or insectoid armor.

Str = attack (ranged and melee), carrying capacity
Dex = Accuracy, Evasion
Vit = Health
Wil = Magic

Minsc

Gold Member

Intuitive or not, it's spelled out very clearly in the character builder when you read the tooltips! So their own fault, this isn't AD&D :p

Doesn't dex only affect accuracy and evasion? As far as I understand, the only thing that affects defense is the armor you're wearing and some skills/traits like armor skills or insectoid armor.

Dex = Accuracy, Evasion
Vit = Health
Wil = Magic

Well yeah, by defense I meant evasion. Protection only comes from armor, thus dex is the only defensive stat, unless you want to count more health.

Ledsen

Intuitive or not, it's spelled out very clearly in the character builder when you read the tooltips! So their own fault, this isn't AD&D :p

They don't really tell you that the terms "attack", "accuracy" etc apply to ALL weapons, including bows and daggers and stuff that would traditionally be Dex weapons. Granted, they don't say anything about Dex affecting attack either, but it's easy to get confused. Also it's pretty weird that Dex doesn't affect dagger damage, considering how you would actually fight using one in real life.

scy

Pfft, read.

I just assumed STR was the catch-all since DEX didn't mention it. Considering the other levels of detail done, figured that was intentional and by design. Made more sense than assuming DEX was Rogue damage.

That and it clearly doesn't adjust AP when you sink points into it anyway.

Philia

Hit Floor 4; and just when I thought I can manage a horde of spiders, I get KO'ed by a pair of green toxic mushrooms. :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I never really got into dungeon crawlers of this fashion back in the day, but I'm really enjoying this after 2 hours of play with the default party on Normal difficulty. It's quite addictive.

garath

Late to the praise party but I love the game. It's very well made.

Of course I'd like more classes and variety in characters but what's there is well made.

I see complaints that rogues don't have a place but I'd disagree. The melee attack from the back line is huge. Couple that with high skill level in something like daggers will mean a fierce back line fighter. My backline rogue has a dagger in one hand and a throwing weapon in the other. I get to lead off with a throwing weapon then poke poke poke from the back line. Works well.

I have yet to kite well enough to get backstab damage but I suspect that will be pretty good.

I'm having trouble deciding where to put my skill points though. I THINK I'd like my minotaur fighter to go axes but I can't decide.

My mage is also sitting on ~16 skill points. I want fire and ice but I don't know any spells beyond the first in each mastery.

However, all that said, I've been having a pretty good time with combat. I actually read the tool tips during character creation and I saw that dex was important for base accuracy. All 3 of my melee chars (2 fighters and 1 rogue) have enough dex that I'm connecting a lot of the time.

SorchaR

Perhaps a silly question, but are there shops further on in the dungeon? I keep holding on to spare weapons and gear out of habit, but if there is nowhere to sell them off I might as well drop them.

How is everyone else building their party? Now I know dexterity doesn't do anything for an archer, I'm having to start over and I'm rethinking my whole party actually. I also took Skilled on every character thinking it would give me 3 skill points every level, which it didn't. Which traits did you guys find useful for your characters?

garath

Perhaps a silly question, but are there shops further on in the dungeon? I keep holding on to spare weapons and gear out of habit, but if there is nowhere to sell them off I might as well drop them.

How is everyone else building their party? Now I know dexterity doesn't do anything for an archer, I'm having to start over and I'm rethinking my whole party actually. I also took Skilled on every character thinking it would give me 3 skill points every level, which it didn't. Which traits did you guys find useful for your characters?

Dex still helps. Accuracy.

I took skilled as I didn't really see much else that was a huge benefit. Gave my chars a leg up.

SorchaR

Nope. Notice how there's no gold...

Derp, I should have thought of that. Time to stop hoarding then :)

Dex still helps. Accuracy.

I took skilled as I didn't really see much else that was a huge benefit. Gave my chars a leg up.

I know Dex does help with accuracy, but I rolled my rogue without any Strength unfortunately.

Skilled does seem handy, but so do the stat boosts since you get no stat points on levelling so you are stuck with what stat boosts skills give you. However, with skilled you do reach those boosts earlier, not to mention getting access to powerful attacks earlier.

I am finding it exceptionally difficult to get through the work day today after having played for several hours last night.

It's killin' me here. ;____;

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT EVEN NOON YET

I never really got into dungeon crawlers of this fashion back in the day, but I'm really enjoying this after 2 hours of play with the default party on Normal difficulty. It's quite addictive.

I was never a big dungeon crawler guy either; I need to put more solid time into the game, but I have had some issues with it and don't seem to be as enthralled with it as most. Which sucks, because I was really excited for it. I may be dense, but it took me forever how to figure out how to attack, but things improved once I did (perhaps my inexperience with crawlers shining through). I may have to research more the most effective party makeup, but at one point I was just getting surrounded by enemies. Most likely my fault, but I felt like I was being cautious enough. Anyway, I'm not going to write it off yet, because I need more time with it. The lack of quick-save bugged me, but I guess that's another quality of the 'genre'.

For a small team, small budget indie game, it really is thorough and great looking though. Elements really come together for an enticing experience.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was never a big dungeon crawler guy either; I need to put more solid time into the game, but I have had some issues with it and don't seem to be as enthralled with it as most. Which sucks, because I was really excited for it. I may be dense, but it took me forever how to figure out how to attack, but things improved once I did (perhaps my inexperience with crawlers shining through). I may have to research more the most effective party makeup, but at one point I was just getting surrounded by enemies. Most likely my fault, but I felt like I was being cautious enough. Anyway, I'm not going to write it off yet, because I need more time with it. The lack of quick-save bugged me, but I guess that's another quality of the 'genre'.

For a small team, small budget indie game, it really is thorough and great looking though. Elements really come together for an enticing experience.

Quickly browse through the manual, and also select the Tutorial option from the main menu. Combined they won't take you more than 3 or 4 minutes and you'll know a lot more about the game.

scy

I may be dense, but it took me forever how to figure out how to attack, but things improved once I did (perhaps my inexperience with crawlers shining through).

Granted, I haven't actually used it but isn't this covered by the Tutorial that the game suggests you look at? Spell casting is also covered in the manual, I believe. I still occasionally left-click my weapons for some bizarrely dumb reason though :|

Besides that, just don't stand still when in combat. Dart in, swing, and dart out. Time attacks for between enemy swings. That's the biggest thing to learn about the combat system. Grasp the timings and how to "safely" attack and know your position so you don't get backed into a corner. Toe-to-toe encounters are unsafe.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Dex = Accuracy, Evasion
Vit = Health
Wil = Magic

The problem being that ranged attacks can *never* miss. The only way to miss with an arrow is for the enemy to step out of the way. So having any points in dex as an archer is a literal complete waste.

Quickly browse through the manual, and also select the Tutorial option from the main menu. Combined they won't take you more than 3 or 4 minutes and you'll know a lot more about the game.

Granted, I haven't actually used it but isn't this covered by the Tutorial that the game suggests you look at? Spell casting is also covered in the manual, I believe. I still occasionally left-click my weapons for some bizarrely dumb reason though :|

Besides that, just don't stand still when in combat. Dart in, swing, and dart out. Time attacks for between enemy swings. That's the biggest thing to learn about the combat system. Grasp the timings and how to "safely" attack and know your position so you don't get backed into a corner. Toe-to-toe encounters are unsafe.

Yes, I did read through the manual and tutorial (skimmed) after having issues with the attack. Spellcasting I haven't dealt with much yet; I suspect it's just digging a bit deeper and playing more. I'll have to do more timing and things, per your suggestions. Thanks; like I said, crawlers were never my thing, so I'm still learning all the mechanisms. Getting backed into a corner followed by overwhelmed by enemies has been my biggest issue.

Any suggestions for party?

garath

I know Dex does help with accuracy, but I rolled my rogue without any Strength unfortunately.

Skilled does seem handy, but so do the stat boosts since you get no stat points on levelling so you are stuck with what stat boosts skills give you. However, with skilled you do reach those boosts earlier, not to mention getting access to powerful attacks earlier.

I see your point. It's basically 3 extra skill points or a couple of stat boosts. I'd be hardpressed to guess which is better at this point.

My rogue only has like 10 str as well. He doesn't hit hard but he hits often. I'm not sure what crits are determined from but he crits often as well. (but to the point below, I'm using him as a melee from rear line guy)

Ranged attacks always hit, so back row archers literally only benefit from dex when you get attacked from behind.

Good point. I didn't realize ranged always hits. I use my rogue as a back line melee. That's pretty unfortunate.

I was never a big dungeon crawler guy either; I need to put more solid time into the game, but I have had some issues with it and don't seem to be as enthralled with it as most. Which sucks, because I was really excited for it. I may be dense, but it took me forever how to figure out how to attack, but things improved once I did (perhaps my inexperience with crawlers shining through)..

It mentions there's a tutorial right when you start the game. The tutorial walks you through things like attacking :)

scy

Yes, I did read through the manual and tutorial (skimmed) after having issues with the attack. Spellcasting I haven't dealt with much yet; I suspect it's just digging a bit deeper and playing more.

Well, just to mention it then: Spellcasting is manual input of runes and then hitting "cast" on them. It's a bit of an extra step more than "right-click to swing/shoot." It's not so bad once you do use it and learn your spells but worth clearing up now.

Any suggestions for party?

I'd say a standard Warrior - Warrior | Rogue - Mage would probably just cover the most bases.

I see your point. It's basically 3 extra skill points or a couple of stat boosts. I'd be hardpressed to guess which is better at this point.

+3 Skill Points value would largely depend on what the Level cap is, though I can't imagine it being much more useful than picking up an extra unlock from a tree ... though, that may be ultimately more useful. Plus the whole "one character level earlier" unlock on most skills, I guess.

Tess3ract

Banned
Finished 1th and 2nd level on normal. The game is amazing. Is exactly like old Eye of Beholder and other SSI games.

I'm slightly dissapointed about the lack of races-classes. It seems very barebones. The races are too extreme. A very focused mage one, a very focused warrior one, a very focused rogue one and human of average-on-everything. It lack some middle-terms, some classes with minor special skills, giving more variety. Also, the races lack any kind of charisma (and the few portraits don't help).

Also, classes are too much focused. There is a single caster (that make any kind of magic) and the other classes are not able to cast anything. Maybe a more "clerical-like" class, like a warrior able to support a few support cast (making from cleric to paladin classes), and a rogue-warrior (with dual wield skills, but less variety of weapons or armor).

But those are the only complains (and I hope that later that thing can be fixed with mods), the game is pure old-school, but adapted to the new times. No random attribute points, the skill system is great, the puzzles are amazing and I love the use of torches.

The game is great, but I'm more hyped by the engine and the next modifications (for example, with new game the only dungeon avaliable is Grimrock, but there is a selector to choose from other official dungeons and user-made ones) than the game itself.

AqPNu47CIAADGYU.jpg
Why did you take a picture of your monitor instead of a screenshot?

Top Bottom