• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

HoosTrax

Is Valve at least going to honor the discount for those that preordered?
I have no idea what he's talking about. Steam didn't have a pre-order to begin with. You could either pre-order from the developer for $11.99 (less than the current discounted $13.49 Steam price), or from GoG.

Btw, there doesn't seem to be Steam cloud support?

Eusis

Dear diary, just hit floor 7 and i died from starving, food, where are thou? T_T
You haven't been ingesting all of that snail meat?

Btw, there doesn't seem to be Steam cloud support?
I checked on this, and it's "currently not supported" going by a forum post. Maybe they'll add it later, but it's a mild annoyance for me since I'm delayed from going home and this would've made transitioning back easier. Too bad the bigger problem is my laptop overheating or whatever on the game, not unless I discovered a system rebooting glitch.

HoosTrax

Oh man I don't want to hear that. I hate food systems in RPG's.

*HATE*
Ah food systems in RPGs...

It took me about half a dozen restarts of Betrayal at Krondor before I understood that the reason why my party would get sick mysteriously and die each time was because I had picked up spoiled and/or poisoned rations off of corpses, and that I had to examine them or my party would automatically consume the tainted food.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished playing for 30 mins. Really enjoying the game so far though now I feel slightly ill after playing due to me getting motion sickness... Sucks 'cause I'd really like to play more. I think it has to do with the FOV.

I really like the combat, doesn't seem too difficult if you keep on your toes. I expect that to get a lot harder once it stops being 1v1.

I just went with the default group, two fighters up front, rogue and mage in the back. Just got a spear for my rogue so hope that means she can contribute more.

I feels like I'm still in tutorial mode so nothing has been of any great challenge.
So far the hardest part has been not walking passed a wall without scanning it for loose rocks.

Really impressed though.

Tokubetsu

The tint of the dungeon just changed colors for me. Everything is all orangeish now. What does that mean?

Oh shit nvm, torches die down eventually! =O

DJ_Lae

Midway through the third floor, got my first game over (rather than just reloading a save while almost dead) from a room full of spiders.

So far my party's working out, although I don't know keen I am on my minotaur as he can't hit worth shit.

Human fighter pummeling enemies with his firsts, a mace wielding minotaur (with only one human skull for boosts so far), and a thief with a bow and a fire mage in the back.

I would probably be further if I didn't scour every goddamn wall for hidden buttons.

scy

Did anyone found the treasure on the second floor?

Wow, I died on the third floor, without saving, so I got spammed back to second floor. Then, while I was walking, I saw this button that I didn't have seen before. I've got
a golden cup/chalice

Yeah, found that too, though
it took awhile to figure out where the door opened :|
Only on the third floor so dunno about anything else yet!

I would probably be further if I didn't scour every goddamn wall for hidden buttons.

Reach dead end.

Click everything. Twice.

DJ_Lae

Start of the third floor, I can't work it out - help me GAF (I feel so stupid... I'm normally good at puzzles)

torch on each sconce on the center pillar, so three in total.

The 'lone' mention in the hint there threw me at first too.

I gave out a bit of a scream when I encountered the first spearman.

:(

Haha! When I first saw the spearman someone poked their head into my room at the exact same time and said something. The combination startled the shit out of me and I got really disoriented. It was almost like the spearman was actually coming through my door.

EGM92

I picked this up, I've never played a dungeon crawler before. My god... this is so awesome :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I started playing, the next thing I know my GF is in bed in and its 4hrs later!

I'm stuck at a puzzle in the 3rd level with the teleports, getting really annoying :mad:

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man I got through a ridiculous battle, lost one of my fighters and then trying to get back to the res stone they spawned a ton of spearmen and archers. Was crazy trying to avoid them with my near dead party, managed to get to the stone and res with one dude alive and then killed all those assholes.

Fuck this game is amazing.

Onward to Floor 6!

Ah food systems in RPGs...

It took me about half a dozen restarts of Betrayal at Krondor before I understood that the reason why my party would get sick mysteriously and die each time was because I had picked up spoiled and/or poisoned rations off of corpses, and that I had to examine them or my party would automatically consume the tainted food.

Timmy has Disentery.

first thought getting to floor 4:
finally! no more spiders!
second thought:
fuck you poison cloud mushroom men!

Is there a manual if you bought it from the developer's website? nvm, it's on the same page and I didn't notice it before.

wizard341

On the 3rd floor, anyone figured out how to open
the brass door? Looks like there is a gate I have to make my way around to pull the lever but cannot figure how to get there.

Eusis

Yea you get a .pdf of it.
I think it's in the Steam version too actually, when I copied my files from the DRM free version to the Steam folder to see if it'd cut down on downloading (it did, drastically) I saw an "extras" folder there, same as in the DRM free version that included the preorder extras. Everyone who wanted those should take a peek and see if they're there.

Ledsen

So how are you guys arranging your party? Mine

Front:

Str/Vit Minotaur Fighter with a focus on Defense
Str/Dex Rogue using Daggers and with ~30 Evasion (basically no other defense)

Back:

Vit/Wil Insectoid Mage using Fire with Air as a secondary
Vit/Wil Human Mage using Ice with Earth as a secondary

They all have the "skilled" trait since it seemed stupid not to take it.

Tokubetsu

Front:

Back:

Front:
Str/Vit Fighter Minotaur with some in Dex
Str/Dex Rogue going daggers and assasination. 2 in Evasion iirn

Back:
Dex Rogue with focus on missile weapons
Wil/Vit Mage Fire

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I really wish I hadn't taken my Rogue. Seems completely useless, a warrior with a spear or another mage would've been better.

Dex doesn't increase archery damage, for some stupid reason strength does, so my rogue is a complete gimp. The game doesn't even have lockping or trap disarmament so he serves no purpose whatsoever other then to plink guys for a whopping 10 damage with his bow. =\

Kyuur

Front:

Back:

My party is the exact same as yours. o_o

Wanchan

Front:

22Vit/15Str Minotaur Fighter Mace/Armor skills. (currently 17/16)
19Str/16Dex Human Fighter Sword/Light Armor skills. (currently 30/9)

Back:

27Wil/10Vit Insectoid Mage Spellcraft all elements (currently 18spellcraft, 7fire, 7earth, 4air, 3ice)
21dex/15str Lizardman Rogue Missile Weapons.

A bit disappointed with missile weapons atm, elemental arrows are not reusable, arrows are really scarce and you always have to run to pick them up, feels a bit boring comparing to my mage atm. I would trade for a second spellcraft mage anyday seeing how spellcraft is awesome.

Just reached level 5 and I'm totally addicted. The game doesn't hold your hand at all when it comes to puzzles. There is subtle hints on how to solve them but other than that, you're on your own.

Now to sleep...... maybe.

Rook
Mace/Axe Minotaur Fighter. Focus on a combo of Strength and Dex.

Bishop
Sword Minotaur Fighter. Pure Strength.

Wren
Human Mage. Focus on Fire Magic.

Trixser
Insectoid Mage. Focus on Poison and bombs.

Ledsen

I really wish I hadn't taken my Rogue. Seems completely useless, a warrior with a spear or another mage would've been better.

Dex doesn't increase archery damage, for some stupid reason strength does, so my rogue is a complete gimp. The game doesn't even have lockping or trap disarmament so he serves no purpose whatsoever other then to plink guys for a whopping 10 damage with his bow. =\

Yeah I was reading pretty carefully when creating my chars, and was pretty surprised when I didn't see any indication that dex contributed to damage dealing with daggers/bows... so I gave my rogue some strength. Completly failed to realize that my minotaur needed some dex to be able to hit though -_-

My party is the exact same as yours. o_o

o_O

Hawk SE

You guys might want to hit up your Steam folder for the Extras (i.e. DRIVE:\Steam\steamapps\common\legend of grimrock\extras)

In it you'll find Art, Photos of the Devs, and Main Menu theme. Additionally you get PDFs of the Graph Paper, Manual, and World Map (all the extras GOG was offering)

duckroll

You guys might want to hit up your Steam folder for the Extras (i.e. DRIVE:\Steam\steamapps\common\legend of grimrock\extras)

In it you'll find Art, Photos of the Devs, and Main Menu theme. Additionally you get PDFs of the Graph Paper, Manual, and World Map (all the extras GOG was offering)

Nice! Thanks.

I am in LOVE with this game. I haven't played a dungeon crawler this good, that has hooked me this badly since, I dunno, the first Etrian Odyssey?

Wanchan

First time stuck, floor 9

Don't know what i'm supposed to do in the checkered room ><, went directly to floor 9 cause i couldn't do anything in floor 8, couldn't access the chamber with all the lightning spells...

SparkTR

Nice, wasn't expecting that.

DagsJT

Really enjoyable game, more than I expected it to be. The atmosphere is really good and I've actually jumped a couple of times and I'm only on level 2!

Might start again though, I'm not sure there's much point in a rogue and I'm probably better having mage's at the back. I've also probably created some rubbish characters and I understand the stats a bit more now.

SparkTR

This is the first RPG I've seen in a while that's getting a universally positive reception at RPGCodex, I never thought I'd see the day.

Top Bottom