• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

+3 Skill Points value would largely depend on what the Level cap is, though I can't imagine it being much more useful than picking up an extra unlock from a tree ... though, that may be ultimately more useful. Plus the whole "one character level earlier" unlock on most skills, I guess.

There is no level cap. You are finished once you max every skill. Therefore, to truly min/max the game, you need to take stat increases as traits because there's no other way to increase your stats once every skill is maxed.

Of course, only a maniac is going to go to the effort to max out every skill, so it may end up being more practical to get a particular benefit unlocked a level early.

scy

There is no level cap. You are finished once you max every skill. Therefore, to truly min/max the game, you need to take stat increases as traits because there's no other way to increase your stats once every skill is maxed.

That's cLvl 75 for all the skills maxed. I mean, maybe the rate of EXP adjusts better than I'm thinking but I'd still think there would be an effective level cap or just an expected level sort of thing. But I guess that's not really a "cap" then :x

...though, yeah, it's basically just valued mostly for the whole "getting stuff earlier" bit. I grabbed it all for my first group but subsequent runs will just forgo them. It's not even that big of a deal honestly.

thefil

Posted this on the official Grimrock forums and maybe it's OT worthy.

Following this WINE thread (Grimrock forums) pointed me to the magnificent Porting Team wrapper which has everything needed to install the game and enjoy the game on Mac OS X.

More info from the Porting Team:

Minimum Specs:
- CPU: Intel Based Mac
- RAM: 2GB
- Video: GPU with 256MB Ram (512MB recommended)
- Disk Space: 800MB

Known Issues:
Sometimes, at start, mouse clicks are not properly recognized - just change window resolution or restart the game

Installation:
1) Unzip the Port
2) Double click the wrapper > Select Install Windows Software > Select exe file from GOG or Humble Games > install

I have a late 2009 27-inch iMac with a C2D 3.06 GHz, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB VRAM and 4GB of RAM and can run the game flawlessly at 1920x1080 with everything maxed but textures.

Thank you for this, I'll give it a try.

*edit* seems to work perfectly for me!

Ferrio

Banned
Minotaur Fighter High VIT+Armor uses Mace/ Human "Monk" str+vit (my weakest link so far)
Human Rogue, Assassination+Daggers/ Human Air Mage

Fitz

So, did anyone figure out anti-aliasing compatibility bits for this?

I believe the game engine (iirc it's a custom one made by the devs) uses some kind of deferred lighting which doesn't allow for anti-aliasing. So I reckon the only way to force AA is either using supersampling of some form, or a post process AA such as FXAA (Nvidia actually just added the ability to force that via their latest beta drivers).

I have yet to actually try any method, but I think supersampling is probably a safe bet, the game isn't exactly a GPU hog.

thefil

Restarting the game on Easy. The fighting is just too stressful for me on Normal (I thought the game was going to be turn based), I'm enjoying the exploring and puzzle solving much more.

Will make my own party this time. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking about restarting with two Warriors and two Mages. What good are Rogues? The one in my party does nothing but throw things for not a whole lot of damage. Is there a use for Rogues that I'm not aware of?

SorchaR

Restarting the game on Easy. The fighting is just too stressful for me on Normal (I thought the game was going to be turn based), I'm enjoying the exploring and puzzle solving much more.

Will make my own party this time. :)

I wish there was an option to turn it turn-based to be honest, my reactions aren't very fast and it would give me time to think. I'm playing on Easy too, hopefully that will make up for my lack of reflexes.

I'm thinking about restarting with two Warriors and two Mages. What good are Rogues? The one in my party does nothing but throw things for not a whole lot of damage. Is there a use for Rogues that I'm not aware of?

They can melee from the back row eventually. Also they can make a decent frontline with high evasion, as evasion actually can make a lot better tank than damage reduction.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wonder if we'll eventually see unorthodox builds, like a mage minotaur or a fighter insectoid.

Durante

I believe the game engine (iirc it's a custom one made by the devs) uses some kind of deferred lighting which doesn't allow for anti-aliasing. So I reckon the only way to force AA is either using supersampling of some form, or a post process AA such as FXAA (Nvidia actually just added the ability to force that via their latest beta drivers).

I have yet to actually try any method, but I think supersampling is probably a safe bet, the game isn't exactly a GPU hog.
Actually, the reason you even need AA compatibility bits is for games that use deferred shading. It's just a matter of finding out whether any of the existing 30 or so NVidia AA bits fits their buffer layout. For now I'm just downsampling.

Oh, and on hard this game is hard, even for my hilariously minmaxed party.

I think I fucked up my party. I'm in the second level and the only way to progress is through an insanely tough fight, my mage is still at level 1 and can't cast any spells and my rogue is good only for throwing rocks.

owlbeak

I wonder if we'll eventually see unorthodox builds, like a mage minotaur or a fighter insectoid.

Minotaur throwing weapons from the back row seems like it would be really effective where throwing weapons scale off the strength stat (I think missile weapons do too) and as you level throwing you get strength.

Ferrio

Banned
I think I fucked up my party. I'm in the second level and the only way to progress is through an insanely tough fight, my mage is still at level 1 and can't cast any spells and my rogue is good only for throwing rocks.

I was in the same boat. After my characters hit lvl 3 I was good to go. Rogue was able to hit from back line, and mage discovered shock spell.

scy

Well, you actually should've found some throwing weapons by now for the Rogue and Mage spell casting is as far as I can tell, some trial-and-error for learning spells until you find a scroll to spell it out for you. Fire, Ice, and Earth all have pretty early spell scrolls though.

Besides that, rotate them in and have them swing (and deal damage) to get full EXP. Kind of an annoyance but it works. I also gave my Rogue a Spear for the time being just so she can do things from the back before getting the back-row melee skill.

owlbeak

You should have found a dagger either late in Level 1 or mid-way through level 2 that the Rogue can be very effective with. My rogue is using a dagger in the front row and is cleaning house.

I'm pretty sure this post just convinced me to buy the game when I get home.

bengraven

So STR is really important for rogues? Fuck me.

Give your rogue the spear from your first skeleton battle and he can reach from the backrow until you get enough projectile items.

What a sick communist game this is. Not even a rudimentary form of barter, just take what you want when you need it. Someone should tell Fox news.

I was upset that there wasn't a cover system.

Well, you actually should've found some throwing weapons by now for the Rogue and Mage spell casting is as far as I can tell, some trial-and-error for learning spells until you find a scroll to spell it out for you. Fire, Ice, and Earth all have pretty early spell scrolls though.

Besides that, rotate them in and have them swing (and deal damage) to get full EXP. Kind of an annoyance but it works. I also gave my Rogue a Spear for the time being just so she can do things from the back before getting the back-row melee skill.

The only throwing weapon I've found is a single knife, and the earliest fire spell I found requires 2 points in the fire magic discipline (I spread my points around so I don't have more than 1 in any discipline.) I think I'll just start over.

Inkwell

Banned
Decided to purchase this impulsively after seeing it pop up on steam. I've been wanting to play an RPG like this. Thought it was turn-based though :(. On the plus side, I'm having some fun with it. I just went with the default party. I might make my own later, but I'm essentially just using this party to learn the game.

Initially I had no clue how magic worked. There's just all these symbols that I thought I was supposed to know, maybe by looking at the manual or something. I had found a scroll and was so confused. I thought it was an item to use. I eventually figured out the magic system and actually think it's pretty neat.

I usually feel overwhelmed with RPGs and how different stats actually work within the game. I'm just going to experiment here and toy around with everything. It's a bit refreshing considering I'm usually a little OCD about getting all the best gear, skills, etc.

scy

The only throwing weapon I've found is a single knife, and the earliest fire spell I found requires 2 points in the fire magic discipline (I spread my points around so I don't have more than 1 in any discipline.) I think I'll just start over.

Throwing weapon wise, there's two I can think of, though one is probably easily missed:
Secret room at the very start of the game~
. Not much better to have two weapons instead of one but it helps. Somewhat. Sort of.

And yeah, lack of a baseline spell kind of sucks if you screw up your spell points. Hell, I still don't actually think I found a spell scroll for any Air spells yet :| I kind of cheated and knew the first fire spell from watching some videos pre-release.

I'm thinking of making a Minotaur Rogue. Since projectiles can't miss. Just load up on attack bonuses like the skull skill.

Str also effects how far you can throw things.

The first ice spell is pretty good. It can hit multiple people in a line.

Hoo-doo

Banned
My party is actually pretty well-balanced now.

Two fighters in the front, one with sword/shield, and the other with axes.
Rogue in the back with crossbow/poison darts, throws the occasional frost/ice bomb
And a mage with staff/torch, who throws frostbolts at crabs like nobodies business.

SorchaR

Throw rocks, you'll find loads of them and can pick them back up again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So STR is really important for rogues? Fuck me.

Give your rogue the spear from your first skeleton battle and he can reach from the backrow until you get enough projectile items.

Oh shit. I had no idea about spears reaching from the back row. I have a bunch of those in my inventory now, so I'll give it at try.

Also, does anyone know if there is a benefit for Mages to have both hands free? Am I fine giving my Mage a torch in one hand?

owlbeak

If you do, just be sure to give your mage at LEAST 2 points in fire magic and I'd put 3 in Earth magic as well, as those two disciplines are what the first few scrolls you find will use.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oh shit. I had no idea about spears reaching from the back row. I have a bunch of those in my inventory now, so I'll give it at try.

Also, does anyone know if there is a benefit for Mages to have both hands free? Am I fine giving my Mage a torch in one hand?

Mage will get a staff in one hand eventually, but yeah, my mage is on torch-duty at all times.

Boss Doggie

Minotaur throwing weapons from the back row seems like it would be really effective where throwing weapons scale off the strength stat (I think missile weapons do too) and as you level throwing you get strength.

Wait, weapon toss is STR instead of DEX? Weird. I guess this means more STR/DEX builds. What about STR/VIT?

foxdvd

I will pick this up tonight...any starting advice? Anything you would have done different at first to make things easier now you are many hours in? Thanks...

the end of level 4 was nightmarish. also spent a good ~20 minutes trying to find out
how to open the gate or teleport entrance to tome in that room with collapsing floors.

Wow... been playing it for the last few hours.

GREAT job guys... I hope you sell zillions.

Only small problem... You can't change names of characters after you start :) I am stuck with "prisoner" now.

ced

So either I'm an idiot or you can't play this game with a trackpad on a Mac Book Pro w/ Windows loaded. No way to attack, I got raped by snails.

Ruuppa

Finished level 10, gonna run a tour of some earlier levels before I hit
the Prison
. I'm sure I missed a ton of stuff, and I want it all!

Two items I recommend holding onto: Bone Necklace and Red Gem.

Boss Doggie

Kinda sucks that you couldn't mix and match jobs though. Would be nice to see a mage fighter. But as it stands, it's pretty amazing. Hope this game sells well!

Hawk SE

Really hate that my mage has access to 3 spells , and I don't even know what they are...

You should be carrying scrolls. Give them to your Mage. On the scroll it'll show which buttons to press to cast. There are also elemental requirements. So your Mage should at least be able to do a Fireball and Poison Cloud.

Minsc

Gold Member
So either I'm an idiot or you can't play this game with a trackpad on a Mac Book Pro w/ Windows loaded. No way to attack, I got raped by snails.

Trying to do anything that involves clicking on specific, varying parts of the screen a thousand times over with a trackpad sounds like a nightmare to me. I'd just use a mouse. Have you tried this? I see your issue (MBP's don't have a right click), but a trackpad just doesn't sound fit to me.

Top Bottom