• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

scy

You should be carrying scrolls. Give them to your Mage. On the scroll it'll show which buttons to press to cast. There are also elemental requirements. So your Mage should at least be able to do a Fireball and Poison Cloud.

Doesn't help if you didn't go Earth or Fire. I have two Spellcraft spells that I'm still trying to figure out the combinations for with good ol' fashioned "TRY EVERYTHING!"

Though it hasn't really paid off yet.

Ruuppa

Doesn't help if you didn't go Earth or Fire. I have two Spellcraft spells that I'm still trying to figure out the combinations for with good ol' fashioned "TRY EVERYTHING!"

Though it hasn't really paid off yet.
Try Life and Balance.

thefil

So either I'm an idiot or you can't play this game with a trackpad on a Mac Book Pro w/ Windows loaded. No way to attack, I got raped by snails.

It's definitely doable. I did the first two floors this way. Just make sure to set up Boot Camp in windows to use the bottom-right corner of your trackpad as right click.

garath

Ya I have an air spell, and two spellcast spells that I don't know the rune combos for.

I'm at the point where it might be the only thing I hit the internet for. On one hand I appreciate the mystery of discovering spell scrolls that show you how to cast it. On the other, my mage feels kind of wimpy knowing only 2 spells despite my potentially high skill levels.

If you haven't assigned skill points to the correct elements early on (you get fire and earth scrolls throughout the first two floors) just give your mage some throwing weapons so they can attack from the back row and gain exp. My Mage and Rogue have chucked a lot of rocks, shurikens and knives.

ced

Trying to do anything that involves clicking on specific, varying parts of the screen a thousand times over with a trackpad sounds like a nightmare to me. I'd just use a mouse. Have you tried this? I see your issue (MBP's don't have a right click), but a trackpad just doesn't sound fit to me.

It's definitely doable. I did the first two floors this way. Just make sure to set up Boot Camp in windows to use the bottom-right corner of your trackpad as right click.

Thanks, did not know about this.

Watch out snails I'm coming for you tonight.

Torraz

I'm stuck in the second level.

I'm up to the room with the blue crystal. I unlockedone of the two locks there but I don't know where the second key is. When I ran around exploring, when I went through the teleporter near the phalanxes to be exact, there was an earthquake, but I am not sure where anything changed.

Fitz

Actually, the reason you even need AA compatibility bits is for games that use deferred shading. It's just a matter of finding out whether any of the existing 30 or so NVidia AA bits fits their buffer layout. For now I'm just downsampling.

I just had a go with all of the pre-assigned compatibility values in Nvidia Inspector and none seemed to work, although I also tried FXAA and it seemed pretty effective, the blurring wasn't too bad. Although I ran into a problem for the second time now, whereby the game inexplicably maxes out my gpu usage and starts running at sub 30 fps.

scy

I'm stuck in the second level.

I'm up to the room with the blue crystal. I unlockedone of the two locks there but I don't know where the second key is. When I ran around exploring, when I went through the teleporter near the phalanxes to be exact, there was an earthquake, but I am not sure where anything changed.

If I remember this spot,
there's just one key on each side of the blue crystal. I think one of them is behind the wall puzzles (with the obvious buttons for them, not the little rock switches) and the other is at the end of the rock switch/teleporter puzzle
. At work so I can't double check that I have the right spot in mind :/

taoofjord

I want to gift someone a copy of Legend of Grimrock. Send me a PM with why you're interested in this game as well as why you haven't yet bought it. Deadline is 30 minutes from the posting of this message.

The hours... where have they gone?

I never realized how much I missed this kind of game. The nostalgia hit me hard, immediately went to gog and picked up the Might and Magic pack to dive back into the World of Xeen.

SorchaR

I'm at the point where it might be the only thing I hit the internet for. On one hand I appreciate the mystery of discovering spell scrolls that show you how to cast it. On the other, my mage feels kind of wimpy knowing only 2 spells despite my potentially high skill levels.

Here's a list off the spell combinations:
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/legend_of_grimrock/spell_combinations

obviously, don't look if you ant to find them in game.

taoofjord

I never realized how much I missed this kind of game. The nostalgia hit me hard, immediately went to gog and picked up the Might and Magic pack to dive back into the World of Xeen.

Exactly. I jumped in and was hit with a feeling of joy that I rarely get anymore. I thought to myself, "I wish this could last forever". The awesome thing about this is that it's NOT just for pc gamers that love this genre. It's got some modern sensibilities, it's beautiful, it's accessible, and the puzzles are well designed enough that it has an appeal that's broader than one would have thought.

This game will do well by way of word of mouth but I think a lot of people who otherwise would be interested will end up missing out on one of the best games to come out this year. It's a shame Steam didn't even give it a splash page on launch day.

Torraz

If I remember this spot,
there's just one key on each side of the blue crystal. I think one of them is behind the wall puzzles (with the obvious buttons for them, not the little rock switches) and the other is at the end of the rock switch/teleporter puzzle

Hmm. That's odd. I have been to both of those places and haven't found a key in either of those locations I think...

By teleport puzzle you mean the one where you have to click the small stone in the wall and then walk backwards, right? Or do you mean the hallway with the cells and the two buttons? I haven't figured that one out yet...

I know I did not find a key the other way, where the big, obvious, buttons/stones on the wall are, although I have only seen two big clickable buttons and there are weird machine-type noises going on.

Thanks in any case, I should probably check there again even though I already did that today. I must be missing something.

Philia

Man, tell me about it. I'm thinking of doing the same. Also to give Shining in the Darkness another try too.

bengraven

Oh shit. I had no idea about spears reaching from the back row. I have a bunch of those in my inventory now, so I'll give it at try.

Also, does anyone know if there is a benefit for Mages to have both hands free? Am I fine giving my Mage a torch in one hand?

If your mage has a wand you're okay because you can cast with that one hand.

Also, I had to level my mage by giving her a spear in the backrow and attacking. She did some damage,surprisingly enough.

Hmm. That's odd. I have been to both of those places and haven't found a key in either of those locations I think...

By teleport puzzle you mean the one where you have to click the small stone in the wall and then walk backwards, right? Or do you mean the hallway with the cells and the two buttons? I haven't figured that one out yet...

I know I did not find a key the other way, where the big, obvious, buttons/stones on the wall are, although I have only seen two big clickable buttons and there are weird machine-type noises going on.

Thanks in any case, I should probably check there again even though I already did that today. I must be missing something.

You have already solved it. Look around in the area where you heard the rumbling.

garath

Have you tried Wizardry on PSN? Class of Heroes on PSP/Vita? Two excellent dungeon crawlers albeit turn based.

Gog also has the Ultima Underworlds. I loved those.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I want to gift someone a copy of Legend of Grimrock. Send me a PM with why you're interested in this game as well as why you haven't yet bought it. Deadline is 30 minutes from the posting of this message.

Just sent you a PM. Hope it's not too late.

scy

Well:

The two buttons and cells is, as far as I can tell, just for getting that one sack from the cell. If there's something else to it, shit, I missed it!

As for the "big obvious buttons" one, there's three clickable ones, not two :)

Sliver

How the hell do you open the Iron Door on Level 3? I've completed the entire floor but I still don't know how to do that.

Fitz

How the hell do you open the Iron Door on Level 3? I've completed the entire floor but I still don't know how to do that.

There's a room just to the east of the iron door with a central pillar and two empty torch scones, put a torch in each and a secret door will open.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Pro Tip: There is a room on the 6th floor that has respawning snails, good to know if you have food issues.

Torraz

If I remember this spot,

Thanks. I think I need some new glasses in that case...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Try Lands of Lore as well if you like this type of game, it's a classic.

I bought that quite a while ago on GOG. I'll have to get around to installing it after I finish Grimrock.

Ledsen

Just made it to the fourth floor. FUCK SPIDERS

Also, should I have found that freeze spell yet? Only found the scroll for one fire spell, one ice spell, two earth spells (poision cloud and a higher lvl one) and one air spell.

I'm thinking about restarting with two Warriors and two Mages. What good are Rogues? The one in my party does nothing but throw things for not a whole lot of damage. Is there a use for Rogues that I'm not aware of?

My rogue is in the front row, does lots of damage and is basically never hit because he has ~40 evasion. He survives longer than my Minotaur.

EGM92

uhhh has anyone else noticed how taxing this is on a system??

Config:
i7 2600k @ stock
Ati 5970 @ 870/1200

My CPU is hitting 56C and my GPU's are hitting 88C! Nothing has done that, the closest was The Witcher 2. I'm not playing it until it gets patched or something. The Witcher pushed my GPU to 68C which is extremely hot with an Accelero Xtreme

HoosTrax

Config:
i7 2600k @ stock
Ati 5970 @ 870/1200

My CPU is hitting 56C and my GPU's are hitting 88C! Nothing has done that, the closest was The Witcher 2. I'm not playing it until it gets patched or something. The Witcher pushed my GPU to 68C which is extremely hot with an Accelero Xtreme
88C is pretty ridiculous. The highest I've seen my card (triple slot ASUS DirectCUII GTX570) is mid 60s in both Just Cause 2 and DX:HR when they're running DX11 mode.

This game, I'd say mid 50s at most is what I've seen (1920 x 1080, settings maxed).

Ledsen

Config:
i7 2600k @ stock
Ati 5970 @ 870/1200

Yeah I noticed my fans kicking up to maximum when I play this on max settings, almost sounds like my Xbox 360 :)

Palehorse

Loving this game so far. Played an hour or so last night, was doing fine and had a couple of close scrapes but nothing a fast retreat didn't fix.

So I did the inevitable. "I'm doing fine, but it's late...maybe I should go to bed. Aahhh I'm good to go, the party is healthy, what's the worst that could happen?"

I literally thought that. It should have been a red flag, I should have saved.

I wandered into a room with just a trigger plate in the center. I stepped on it figuring something interesting would happen. The door closed behind me and a secret door opened with a skeleton warrior behind it. Then another...and another...

TPW....*facepalm* I went to bed feeling exhilarated finding a game that didn't pull it's punches.

Ferrio

Banned
Loving this game so far. Played an hour or so last night, was doing fine and had a couple of close scrapes but nothing a fast retreat didn't fix.

So I did the inevitable. "I'm doing fine, but it's late...maybe I should go to bed. Aahhh I'm good to go, the party is healthy, what's the worst that could happen?"

I literally thought that. It should have been a red flag, I should have saved.

I wandered into a room with just a trigger plate in the center. I stepped on it figuring something interesting would happen. The door closed behind me and a secret door opened with a skeleton warrior behind it. Then another...and another...

TPW....*facepalm* I went to bed feeling exhilarated finding a game that didn't pull it's punches.

That room is easy. Or wait might be another room that does that I'm thinking of.

Mimir

Config:
i7 2600k @ stock
Ati 5970 @ 870/1200

Turning on VSync should fix that.

Minsc

Gold Member

Config:
i7 2600k @ stock
Ati 5970 @ 870/1200

Using V-sync or Triple Buffering (both in game options) to limit the framerate should help. If you're not using them, you're essentially telling it to push your GPU as hard it will go, since it's not CPU limited, and it renders 200+ fps.

Edit: Next time Mimir, next time.

I just confirmed GPU usage too, at 60fps v-sync my 5870 is registering 25% activity, and at ~230fps no v-sync it is at 99% activity. You should really v-sync all your games, especially older ones, for this reason.

Durante

Config:
i7 2600k @ stock
Ati 5970 @ 870/1200

Did you turn on vsync?

Edit: Oh wow beaten hard.

So I guess I better post something else. After playing some more, this game (at least on hard) is a lot more action-focused than I expected. When I'm careful and fully "micromanage" the battle Ican beat almost any enemy without getting hit, even ones that would probably kill my party in a straight up fight. It's not a bad thing, but I expected the combat to be a lot more stat-focused than that.

Config:
i7 2600k @ stock
Ati 5970 @ 870/1200

Playing on 1080p/high settings on the integrated Intel 3000.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just made it to the fourth floor. FUCK SPIDERS

Also, should I have found that freeze spell yet? Only found the scroll for one fire spell, one ice spell, two earth spells (poision cloud and a higher lvl one) and one air spell.

My rogue is in the front row, does lots of damage and is basically never hit because he has ~40 evasion. He survives longer than my Minotaur.

You can discover spells yourself, even without having found the correct scroll.

I found the Frostbolt spell by pure accident, and it is godly.
top right, bottom right
You do need the appropriate skill level to cast it though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Using V-sync or Triple Buffering (both in game options) to limit the framerate should help. If you're not using them, you're essentially telling it to push your GPU as hard it will go, since it's not CPU limited, and it renders 200+ fps.

Edit: Next time Mimir, next time.

I just confirmed GPU usage too, at 60fps v-sync my 5870 is registering 25% activity, and at ~230fps no v-sync it is at 99% activity. You should really v-sync all your games, especially older ones, for this reason.

Wow. Good to know. I noticed my fan going crazy, so I'll definitely turn on v-sync when I next play.

EGM92

wow thank god, you guys were fast with the reply. The game was running at over 300fps according to FRAPs lol now the card is at 54C and the CPU is at a warm 34C

Top Bottom