• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

MasLegio

Banned
Any way to use quick buttons for spells? Like I can favourite spells in Skyrim.

Not fun having to fumble with runes when I know exactly what spell I am going to use.

Kientin

OK, this game has gone from creepy to downright terrifying, I've jumped more than a few times and have made noises that would have one question my gender.

I just popped into this thread and this line has got me very interested in the game along with a trailer I saw. My backlog is huge though and I got a list of games that want priority over this so this is sadly in steam sale tier for now. Maybe that will change later.

Another complain about the game... it lacks spells. A LOT of supportive spells. There is nothing to improve defense (protection or evation), or to improve attack (accuracy or damage). Nothing even to alter status on enemies (sleep, paralize) or to heal yourself (inmediate heal or at least a regen to heal outside battle).

The mage spells is basically elemental damage and elemental protection. And that make that, often, after a battle, you need to sleep constantly (because potions are limited) to heal your party. And make all the wizards basically the same, only choosing what is the kind of element that you want to use. You cannot have a team of 2 mages, a offensive and defensive one. You have 2 wizards that cast the same kind of spells, but changing the element.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Really on the fence about this game. I have always wanted to try a FP dungeon crawler similar to this with tile style movement. The only dungeon crawler I ever tried was Wizardry 8 which I didn't like because I never found the intro dungeon interesting.

Can anyone to into detail about the world and the monster variety? It's a completely different kind of game (themes are similar at least) but alot of what helped me get into Dark Souls was the interesting world (mainly the castle levels), the sense of actual danger around every corner (which makes exploration actually interesting), the enemies, and the bits of lore you learn about through the world.

Ledsen

Really on the fence about this game. I have always wanted to try a FP dungeon crawler similar to this with tile style movement. The only dungeon crawler I ever tried was Wizardry 8 which I didn't like because I never found the intro dungeon interesting.

Can anyone to into detail about the world and the monster variety? It's a completely different kind of game (themes are similar at least) but alot of what helped me get into Dark Souls was the interesting world (mainly the castle levels), the sense of actual danger around every corner (which makes exploration actually interesting), the enemies, and the bits of lore you learn about through the world.

It's one huge castle level with some variery in tilesets. There aren't a huge number of enemies (maybe a dozen or so?) or much lore beyond the intro (that i've seen so far) but there certainly is danger lurking around every corner, and the atmosphere is amazing.

Anno

I'm downloading this now to play tonight. Quick question first: I know the layout isn't randomized, but are the items randomized at all? Or would I find the same +1 helm in the same secret alcove every time through?

Maedhros

Another complain about the game... it lacks spells. A LOT of supportive spells. There is nothing to improve defense (protection or evation), or to improve attack (accuracy or damage). Nothing even to alter status on enemies (sleep, paralize) or to heal yourself (inmediate heal or at least a regen to heal outside battle).

The mage spells is basically elemental damage and elemental protection. And that make that, often, after a battle, you need to sleep constantly (because potions are limited) to heal your party. And make all the wizards basically the same, only choosing what is the kind of element that you want to use. You cannot have a team of 2 mages, a offensive and defensive one. You have 2 wizards that cast the same kind of spells, but changing the element.

I don't think the game really needs these. It would make mages too powerfull.

Minsc

Gold Member

I agree, but I'm more than willing to overlook a lot of things given the size of the dev team, lower budget, and high quality output they aimed for with the time and tools they had. Maybe a few spells like you suggest would be minimal to add in and help with the variety roles, but they had their hands full, and I imagine could only do so much without risking going too far or delaying it further. I'd have preferred to see 9-10 classes (clerics / healing, druids / summoning, etc), a handful more races, some outdoors, a shop or two, more tilesets, maybe some more types of enemies, and so on. I do think they were smart to focus most of their energy on the level design and creating a visually striking product, to separate themselves from similar or lower budget attempts, and it seems to have worked, since the reviews are favorable and it got them on Steam. If they say it's sold very well, port it to tablets/Mac (and that also sells well), and then make a sequel, I'd be a lot harsher in my expectations on the sequel.

Any way to use quick buttons for spells? Like I can favourite spells in Skyrim.

Not fun having to fumble with runes when I know exactly what spell I am going to use.

I've seen people argue that having shortcuts to casting the spells would also make mages too powerful, in vein of the above post (as adding more spells would). Instant cast mass damage for using in close combat would need the game to be balanced differently most likely.

I agree, but I'm more than willing to overlook a lot of things given the size of the dev team, lower budget, and high quality output they aimed for with the time and tools they had. Maybe a few spells like you suggest would be minimal to add in and help with the variety roles, but they had their hands full, and I imagine could only do so much without risking going too far or delaying it further. I'd have preferred to see 9-10 classes (clerics / healing, druids / summoning, etc), a handful more races, some outdoors, a shop or two, more tilesets, maybe some more types of enemies, and so on. I do think they were smart to focus most of their energy on the level design and creating a visually striking product, to separate themselves from similar or lower budget attempts, and it seems to have worked, since the reviews are favorable and it got them on Steam. If they say it's sold very well, port it to tablets/Mac (and that also sells well), and then make a sequel, I'd be a lot harsher in my expectations on the sequel.

Still, I wonder why the reviews are not able to see those obvious lack of effort in the "game rules" part. I know that the level design of the game is amazing, but I think it's more because of the lack of similar games in the last 20 years than because of the game itself. People talk about "portal2 like puzzles" and, even if the puzzles are great, are in the line of the puzzles that we saw in Eye of Beholder, BloodWych, Dungeon Master 1 & 2 or Dark Heart of Uukrul, not a full redefinition like we saw on Portal.

Yes, this is a start. But if the game don't improve a lot, I'll be seriously dissapointed.

I don't want a GrimRock 2. I want the game to expand. There is info (like the dungeon selector) that this is the first dungeon of the game, that it will be more a "engine" than a fixed game. I hope the next dungeons of the game will include also more races-classes-spells.

I've seen people argue that having shortcuts to casting the spells would also make mages too powerful, in vein of the above post (as adding more spells would). Instant cast mass damage for using in close combat would need the game to be balanced differently most likely

Not really. The spells use energy (and powerful spells consume A LOT of energy), and they have cooldown, like the regular attacks.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Las question I've got for now: does the game really require a beastly machine to run well? I've only got a dual core processor at 2 Ghz, but my video card and ram should be okay( nvidia 460 gt and 3Gbs of ram)

There is nothing to improve defense (protection or evation)
Invisibility and Darkness. You don't need to literally boost stats to have a similar effect on the damage the party takes.

or to improve attack (accuracy or damage).
Elemental arrows are a buff for other party members, though it may be nontraditional. See above.

Nothing even to alter status on enemies (sleep, paralize)
Frostbolt.

Actually the
chance of freeze
along with having the lowest level ranged spell makes
ice
the best magic to take.
Fire
is second best due to
the need for fire resistance.

Finaika

Las question I've got for now: does the game really require a beastly machine to run well? I've only got a dual core processor at 2 Ghz, but my video card and ram should be okay( nvidia 460 gt and 3Gbs of ram)

I have a similar setup as yours, and the game runs at constant 60fps with all settings at max (vsync on).

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't want a GrimRock 2. I want the game to expand. There is info (like the dungeon selector) that this is the first dungeon of the game, that it will be more a "engine" than a fixed game. I hope the next dungeons of the game will include also more races-classes-spells.

Not really. The spells use energy (and powerful spells consume A LOT of energy), and they have cooldown, like the regular attacks.

More official dungeons would be great, I figured that would be mostly for user created dungeons. Maybe they'll release official dungeons as paid DLC, I just feel they'd be more successful with a full sequel. I agree with your points on the mana system, I hadn't given much thought to the high spell cost. I guess I enjoy the rune system, and to lose it would be a less interesting to me. A lot of similar games just use the one-click method to cast spells, so obviously there's nothing that big from keeping them from doing it in the game :)

There is also a hardware test from a few months ago, the final game might be slightly more optimized, but it should give you peace of mind if you're still unsure.

Philia

It's actually a lot easier than that for this one:
The teleporter puzzle near it? Just step into it again. You'll teleport to the book

Thanks, I figured that out the second I closed my laptop last night lmao. :)

scy

I actually enjoyed the lack of a Healing spell. Kind of made it so I really regretted any damage taken during fights. I've been trying not to rest too often (four times so far, three technically since one was for a puzzle, and I'm up to Floor 6) and no Crystals used.

That said, Mages could have used more spells, if only so I'm clicking different runes. I am enjoying the rune selecting for spells a lot more than I figured I would initially, but it also helps that I queue up a spell pre-combat a lot I guess.

Anyone else trying their best to keep everyone at the same amount of EXP? I really think I need to just let it go as it's making some fights a lot more hectic than they really need to be (or, basically, "No, I can't kill it yet, Mace Warrior never hit it oh god stop missing").

TEJ

I bought this game on a whim because I enjoyed Japanese dungeon crawlers like etrian odyssey and because of how my computer is good enough to run it on a high level.

I am enjoying it. I'm playing on easy/novice now, but once I beat it I plan on moving to a harder difficulty.

Earth is super underpowered and resisted by many enemies. Worst element. But you do get all of its spells faster than any other element, both in terms of unlocking by points and in terms of scrolls in-game. I wonder if late game it might still be a decent choice by virtue of being cheap to cast?

scy

Kind of feels like Earth is there mostly for the enemies to use it vs you rather than the other way around. Not sure if that changes later, though. My only Mage is pure Ice + Spellcraft. Well, I have two points in Fire for the cheap "guess I'll use something" spell.

Philia

Well I hit floor 5 and it was fantastic so far, but the slowdowns or the drops in framerates had gotten so bad I just have to call it in for now. :( And yes I have vsync on. Dunno what the deal is, hopefully hubby will check it out soon enough. >.>

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I got a bit discouraged by the game today. I've run out of food. I've realised I've been eating too soon (when the bar was only halfway) and now I feel like I'm in a rush to move farther into the dungeon. I like taking my time and while I was ok with this food system before now I realise how much of a nuisance it is.
Thinking about restarting because I know I can do a lot better than I have so far.

Ledsen

I got a bit discouraged by the game today. I've run out of food. I've realised I've been eating too soon (when the bar was only halfway) and now I feel like I'm in a rush to move farther into the dungeon. I like taking my time and while I was ok with this food system before now I realise how much of a nuisance it is.
Thinking about restarting because I know I can do a lot better than I have so far.

No reason to eat until à party member gets the "starving" icon on their portrait.

Invisibility and Darkness. You don't need to literally boost stats to have a similar effect on the damage the party takes.

Elemental arrows are a buff for other party members, though it may be nontraditional. See above.

Frostbolt.

Actually the
chance of freeze
along with having the lowest level ranged spell makes
ice
the best magic to take.
Fire
is second best due to
the need for fire resistance.

Still, those are side effects in most cases, and there are splitted in several "spell schools", making the task of choosing a offensive mage or a defensive-support one something impossible.

The game lacks the high degree of customization that had the old SSI games based in AD&D. Obviously, I don't want to copy the system, but to find an alternative system where you can create a high diversity of roles.

scy

No reason to eat until à party member gets the "starving" icon on their portrait.

I feel bad for my group of prisoners. They only get to eat once the game tells me they need food badly. And even then, it's probably a piece of snail.

More official dungeons would be great, I figured that would be mostly for user created dungeons. Maybe they'll release official dungeons as paid DLC, I just feel they'd be more successful with a full sequel.

Well, the thing is that this game is supposed to have a high user-based content. Is the first modern-like western classic dungeon crawler engine in years, so the possibilities of explore the genre by the userbase are great.

And, in that kind of games, creating sequels too soon splits the userbase, making more difficult to have a high userbase. This is something as asking a Minecraft 2.

Maedhros

Still, those are side effects in most cases, and there are splitted in several "spell schools", making the task of choosing a offensive mage or a defensive-support one something impossible.

The game lacks the high degree of customization that had the old SSI games based in AD&D. Obviously, I don't want to copy the system, but to find an alternative system where you can create a high diversity of roles.

The developers where not aiming for that, clearly, the number of options are limited, but fair for what they were aiming for. Maybe it's not your type of game, I'm sure there are others DC games out there that offers something more akin to AD&D customization.

DagsJT

I'm stuck on level 2. I appear to have cleared the whole level, the map seems to show I've opened all doors and corridors ... but can't find the stairs to go down to the next level.

I thought that was the point, you have to decide. You don't get everything with one character class. In the old days you generally picked both a cleric and mage to cover your bases, and in this game you can take a mage with Air/Spellcraft and one with Ice/Fire. Or if you don't think you'll need their unique abilities you can do without.

Of course in the case of Grimrock, you aren't meant to know much about the classes and magic ahead of time.

It does lack the crazy levels of content in older games, but it's got the most important bases covered and is carefully designed around what it does have.

Ledsen

I'm stuck on level 2. I appear to have cleared the whole level, the map seems to show I've opened all doors and corridors ... but can't find the stairs to go down to the next level.

The exit isn't hidden, you just missed something.

Spoilers are coming out of the woodwork, giving advice about endgame stuff. I probably shouldn't be spoiling myself but it's not really about the content, mostly about what classes and skills to use.

On the subject of skill points - this is technically a spoiler, but something that people should probably know, lest they be pissed later on:

You will probably finish the game having earned about 50 skill points via levels. This means if you want to max something, definitely stick to it.

On the subject of elements in the endgame (a real spoiler, but again, some people may not want to be surprised):

The most difficult creature in the game is immune to or resists fire and ice, but air magic is quite effective. You will also want to be able resist shock damage.

Bought this today for my work buddy who's had some pretty shitty treatment from work on his birthday. Going to dip in myself tonight. I'm terrible at these types of game however, so my plan is to go with the pre-rolled party and play on easy first.

Very excited about everyone hyping the atmosphere. In the videos it looks incredible.

Minsc

Gold Member
Launch week update:

Wow! What a week. All of the keys on our keyboards have worn down to nubs from typing up a billion emails, forum posts, interviews and whatnot. But we’ve been doing something else too besides banging on our keyboards: we released a game! If you didn’t grab Legend of Grimrock during the pre-order, you can still get it with a 10% discount for a limited time. Regardless of all the release-related hassle, we have got some “actual” work done too. Possibly most importantly, we have started working on the first patch of the game (version 1.1.4) which mostly concentrates on some compatibility enhancements and fixing some bugs and exploits. Here’s the current list of improvements:

- vsync is enabled by default
- borderless windows are no longer topmost
- pressing ESC closes character sheet
- fixed unlimited frost arrow exploit
- bug fix: topmost menu item don’t work reliably in 2560×1440 resolution
- bug fix: wall text translations are not dismissed when right-clicking
- bug fix: inanimate objects can be backstabbed
- bug fix: projectiles go through doors in some very rare cases
- improved display resolution auto-detection at first launch
- fixed a couple of typos
- removed check that disables high texture resolution setting when running low on video memory (some graphics drivers seem to report available video memory incorrectly)

The work still continues and the list will grow longer so if you want to see the current status of the update you can check out the first post in this thread which is updated as progress is made. Our current estimation is that the patch will probably go live during next week. Also if you want a cool looking Legend of Grimrock DVD box sitting on your shelf, Juho made some nice box graphics that you can print out and slip in an empty DVD cover:

Oh yeah, we’ve had many inquiries on how the sales have been doing and, well, we couldn’t be happier with them! We were sitting solidly as the #1 Steam top seller for a while but it seems like we have now been dethroned… So if you still know anyone who might be able to help us in our struggle to regain dominance, let them know ! Anyways, the development costs of the game have now been covered many times over so the future of the company seems pretty secure. So, everyone who has bought our game and supported us, you have our gratitude!

Good news!

SparkTR

That warms my heart, these guys deserve all the success that comes their way. I'm expecting mindblowingly awesome things in the future now that they have solid funding.

mclem

Anyways, the development costs of the game have now been covered many times over so the future of the company seems pretty secure. So, everyone who has bought our game and supported us, you have our gratitude!

This sort of statement, so early on, makes me very, very happy.

Great to hear it's doing well. I can't wait for some (hopefully free!) expansions to the game, both in terms of new dungeons, as well as potentially new classes, portraits, etc. I'm already excited about playing through the game again with a better party, so any additional stuff they can toss in or improve will be great!

Top Bottom