• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

No, that would work at all. Every floor is carefully designed and filled with secret rooms and puzzles to solve. Randomization wouldn't allow for that.

As I've said earlier, the way you do it is design 30-40 floors and pick 10 of them in a random order for any given game. Maybe have a permanent first floor, middle floor, and final floor for storytelling/difficulty purposes. You could also design 10 floors per "strata" of the dungeon and pick randomly from those if you want to be sure the difficulty ramps up smoothly.

Alternatively, if more randomness is desired, have each puzzle take up a quadrant of the map and design lots of different puzzles to be mixed and matched in pieces. Every map could be different. You could even design some multi-floor puzzles this way pretty easily.

You might ask if they designed that many floors, then why not just include them all in a playthrough...but you need to keep the number down for a single playthrough to ensure the game doesn't wear out its welcome, but still offers a great deal of replay value.

They could even include a "floors conquered" statistic that carries over between plays.

As I've said earlier, the way you do it is design 30-40 floors and pick 10 of them in a random order for any given game. Maybe have a permanent first floor, middle floor, and final floor for storytelling/difficulty purposes. You could also design 10 floors per "strata" of the dungeon and pick randomly from those if you want to be sure the difficulty ramps up smoothly.

If they have to design 30-40 floors, the good way is to release a game with 30-40 floors. Or splitted in 3-4 stories with 10 floors each one.

Randomizing the order only for the sake of randomizing is not interesting. If it repeats dungeons from a previous play, is a pain in the ass. If not, there is no point in have those floors randomized instead of being in a specific order, with the enemies and the loot perfectly placed, instead of randomized depending of your level. It's the same content, but placed with the correct pace.

And mixing parts of dungeons won't work, also. It can work for a Diablo-Torchlight game, but not for a game so puzzle-based and handcrafted as this.

Is much better to give the level editor tools to the community, that will vote the best dungeons, and you'll have endless handcrafted dungeons of great quality.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Alternatively, if more randomness is desired, have each puzzle take up a quadrant of the map and design lots of different puzzles to be mixed and matched in pieces. Every map could be different. You could even design some multi-floor puzzles this way pretty easily.

You might ask if they designed that many floors, then why not just include them all in a playthrough...but you need to keep the number down for a single playthrough to ensure the game doesn't wear out its welcome, but still offers a great deal of replay value.

They could even include a "floors conquered" statistic that carries over between plays.

Good thing you weren't on the design team, yikes.

lol51

Is it just me or in the ambient noise are there whispers sometimes?? :(:(:(:(

I came here to post this... It sounds like a news report almost

Like slowed down and morphed. I can hear it and it sounds like it is saying 'one of the officers responded to the '???

cj_iwakura

I really feel like this game isn't for me, being a fan of the Japanese dungeon crawler, but it's up for consideration.

If I like Etrian Odyssey, Dark Spire, J-Wizardry and really disliked Wizardry VI and VII, is this for me or not?

DiscoJer

I really feel like this game isn't for me, being a fan of the Japanese dungeon crawler, but it's up for consideration.

If I like Etrian Odyssey, Dark Spire, J-Wizardry and really disliked Wizardry VI and VII, is this for me or not?

It's really more like Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master than Wizardry. Especially those Wizardries, which played like Wizardry, but had a stranger scenario design, IMHO.

On the other hand, unlike EO (or previous Wizardies before VI, or the Bard's Tale) you are kind of stuck in a prison with no town or home base or anything, so it can feel a lot more claustrophobic and desperate.

So I have no idea - it's a shame they don't release a demo for it.

cj_iwakura

It's really more like Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master than Wizardry. Especially those Wizardries, which played like Wizardry, but had a stranger scenario design, IMHO.

On the other hand, unlike EO (or previous Wizardies before VI, or the Bard's Tale) you are kind of stuck in a prison with no town or home base or anything, so it can feel a lot more claustrophobic and desperate.

So I have no idea - it's a shame they don't release a demo for it.

I like having a base to work from, so it sounds like this really isn't my cup of tea. Even Dark Spire, one of the bleakest dungeon crawlers I've ever played, had that.

Im_Special

I made this little AutoHotKey script which automates the mouse clicking for combat into keyboard presses, if there's interest I can upload it for some of you guys. Some examples are like spacebar for all 4 members to attack at once, keys f,g,c,v for individual attacks and number pad for spell casting. Since I made it for my self it requires 1280x1024 res or else things will be off, also the mage needs to be in 4th slot and weapons needs to be in left hand, and mage casting item (hand or staff) needs to be in the right hand.

Sinatar

I like having a base to work from, so it sounds like this really isn't my cup of tea. Even Dark Spire, one of the bleakest dungeon crawlers I've ever played, had that.

You seem to be trying very hard to convince yourself not to buy this incredible game. Your loss.

Finaika

If you like Shining the Holy Ark you will love this.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Somehow the Dungeoneer's Guide has broken free from its imprisonment and has some advice to share from its stay in the mountain. The video is still uploading but I hope the tips and demonstration of how I do combat on hard might help those who are new. Let me know what you think!

Thanks a million!

Ed: Video's done. Feel free to let me know if you have one to share, anyone!

OK, so the Spiders are proving their "fuck spiders!" posts are justified. Ready to go to the 4th floor...

Etrian Oddyssey does 90% of the work for you by highlighting the areas you've been and providing the grid. You just have to draw some lines, it's not comparable to hand mapping with grid paper.

Nnnnnnno, I mean not in the actual ammount of work, but the advantage and agency customizing a map to both fit ones playstyle and provide a notebook of sorts for returnable locales (in this game, its been healing crystals and my one hoard).

scy

Slimes
on the 4th Floor are ridiculous :|

Then again...
they guard a piece of Treasure so I guess it only makes sense. Still, so much HP and only worth 190 EXP a kill?

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I've hit a small roadblock on level 3, need a little help.

I'm just passed the teleport puzzle and I've also cleared out the spider room, the one where you get a key, a new sword and a couple items of clothing. I used that key on the door with the two locks but I'm not seeing where I can find the other. I can hear more spiders behind this door.

I haven't solved a couple more areas but I feel those will most likely be solved later. The sacrifice trap and the door just near the teleport puzzle, with the trapdoor and steel bars surrounding it.

Any help where I can find the other key?

Edit: Solved it... Looked everywhere, found a couple secret rooms along the way.

cluto

End of level 4:
After placing the scrolls and unleashing all the little green monsters, there is a lever in one of the areas that they spawn in. Pulling it doesn't seem to do anything. Does anyone know what it does?

scy

End of level 4:
After placing the scrolls and unleashing all the little green monsters, there is a lever in one of the areas that they spawn in. Pulling it doesn't seem to do anything. Does anyone know what it does?

As far as I can tell
pulling it turns the teleporters back on. They're off when you place the scrolls

Philia

End of level 4:

I'm wondering the same thing too. There's an area that I couldn't reach that has a book next to the teleporter in one of the 4 subareas. I thought that's what the lever is for, to unlock something to do with that.

scy

I'm wondering the same thing too. There's an area that I couldn't reach that has a book next to the teleporter in one of the 4 subareas. I thought that's what the lever is for, to unlock something to do with that.

It's actually a lot easier than that for this one:
The teleporter puzzle near it? Just step into it again. You'll teleport to the book

Woo-Fu

Banned
Nice ending. :)

I think the difference between this game being really easy and really hard is how you approach it. You can't play it like it is turn-based, don't just sit on a square and fight it out. Just about any encounter in the game if you can move it to a set of 4 open tiles you can win without even getting hit just by moving in circles. My Wahook Whirling experience served me well.

Inkwell

Banned
I'm curious about something. I just got to floor 3. Without trying to spoil anything, there's a puzzle at the very beginning. I figured it out, but does that mean I can get stuck later on in the game if I've used up certain items or resources?

Maedhros

Holy shit, another eartquake near the end of level 3 for me. Also
fuck slimes. All of that for just a treasure and a crossbow wish I won't even use.

Oh well, saved and tomorrow I'll play level 4.

I'm training my minotaur fighter in maces, but he seems to miss like crazy. Should I be putting more points in dex or maces? Or do I just need to find a better mace (I'm still using the really basic club that you find at the beginning)?

cluto

I can see a
steel armor curaiss (is this really a spoiler?)
through some iron bars on level 5; you get to this area by falling down a pit on level 4. How do I reach that shit? I've been through all of level 4 and 5 now and can't seem to figure it out.

EDIT: Yay. You get to it from the Halls of Fire on level 6.

I'm training my minotaur fighter in maces, but he seems to miss like crazy. Should I be putting more points in dex or maces? Or do I just need to find a better mace (I'm still using the really basic club that you find at the beginning)?

That club has something like -5 in accuracy if i remember correctly, i guess that your minotaur will be ok once you get one better, mine had that mace too, and yeah, he missed 3/4 of the attacks

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone who's further into the game: Will the environment change a bit at some points or do you have to walk around the exact same dungeon walls during the whole game?

Sinatar

How many secrets are there per floor?

It's not a set number per floor.

I'm on floor 8, also known as lightning fest 2000.

Game quality hasn't dropped a single iota yet. Any idea as to how many floors there are? I'm hoping a bajillion cause I don't want this to end any time soon.

SparkTR

Finally got a chance to sink me teeth into this game, it's fantastic so far. Also day 2 of it being number one on Steam's top sellers.

Orgun

Holy crap, near the end of floor 2
when you come across your first combined group of four phalanx spear guys, nearly made a mess! :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Redone my team - rogue unarmed lizardman, generic human sword tank, minotaur ranged fighter and female spellcaster.

So crystals are one time use or do they "reactivate"?

Muskweeto

OK, this game has gone from creepy to downright terrifying, I've jumped more than a few times and have made noises that would have one question my gender.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Redone my team - rogue unarmed lizardman, generic human sword tank, minotaur ranged fighter and female spellcaster.

So crystals are one time use or do they "reactivate"?

They have a short cooldown period. Like a few minutes.

Edit: Also, screw it I'm looking at the spell list.

Edit 2: Wow and just like that my rogue got awesomer.

Top Bottom