• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

poisonelf

I wish I had also bought it straight from the developers.

I bought from steam solely for cloud saves, since I go back and forth between internet cafe - home a few times each day, but as it turns out the game itself must support cloud saves (I thought it was steam automatically supporting it), and Grimrock doesn't :(

Muskweeto

I've only ever bought old games off gog.com, how do updates and patches work? Will I need to redownload an updated version of the game, or just download the update and install it to my current game, or something else?

That ... sounds right? Maybe? I'll check in-game real quick. I assume you're talking about the area at the start of there?

Edit: Yeah, that's basically how I did it:
Pull lever, step back, strafe left, turn around, throw rock, turn around, strafe right x3 and then go forward. Should have about ~1s of leeway time.

Thanks, I'll keep trying, I'm just not quick enough, I guess.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've only ever bought old games off gog.com, how do updates and patches work? Will I need to redownload an updated version of the game, or just download the update and install it to my current game, or something else?

They will post the patch in the download section, I believe.

HAHAHA! I made it through the Level 5: Deserted Tunnel puzzle. I had to turn down my resolution to 720p, I had it on 1080p, Medium running on integrated Intel 3000 and I had no idea the game was moving slow. Just had the thought to lower the settings and made it through the first time, everything ran smoother.

Yeah, I'm going to hold off playing anymore until I get my GTX 680, whenever they come in stock. At least I was doing it right, I thought I was missing something. 2 days of racking my brain! :)

KarmaCow

Man fuck this game. Half way through floor 3 and there are like a bagillion creepy looking and sounding spiders? Ugh :(

I think I got everything on the floor but I couldn't be happier getting off that floor. The iron door puzzle was simplier than I thought but I could not stand the spider sounds so took off my headphones so I didn't notice that the secret door had opened at first.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Man fuck this game. Half way through floor 3 and there are like a bagillion creepy looking and sounding spiders? Ugh :(

I think I got everything on the floor but I couldn't be happier getting off that floor. The iron door puzzle was simplier than I thought but I could not stand the spider sounds so took off my headphones so I didn't notice that the secret door had opened at first.

I'm actually less freaked out if I can hear them first before I see them. I purposefully use headphones so I know if they're on my left or right.

nickcv

I'm actually less freaked out if I can hear them first before I see them. I purposefully use headphones so I know if they're on my left or right.

that actually freaks me out more...
i keep earing the noises of the monsters but they are echoing from behind some wall or whatever, so they are not anywhere close to me but that still keeps on the edge of my chair...

i love this game.

scy

Floor 6's
Vault of the Orb with 2x Crabs in close quarters
is brutal. Especially since I refuse to let anyone die. The
payoff is nice, I guess. Light Source and +15 Energy, +2 Willpower Orb

Philia

Yay! Triple Buffer seemed to help a lot with the horrid slowdowns in my game. :D

I'm back at it again! I already found 25 secrets by floor 5. :D :D

I'm now at floor 6 and omg, WHERE IS THE LIFE GIVING CRYSTAL??? ;___; I had to restart because I hate giving unbalanced exp when one of my guys is dead.

scy

Yay! Triple Buffer seemed to help a lot with the horrid slowdowns in my game. :D

I'm back at it again! I already found 25 secrets by floor 5. :D :D

I'm now at floor 6 and omg, WHERE IS THE LIFE GIVING CRYSTAL??? ;___; I had to restart because I hate giving unbalanced exp when one of my guys is dead.

It's in
Sequencis (in the initial room with the Ogre, southeast corner); you'll need at least one Round Key to get through, though there should be one there

Also, screw teleporter puzzles :( Especially ones that
stump me because I didn't flip a switch away from the puzzle. Curses! Also, found a +EXP Rate Necklace ... oh nos, to use it or not :(

Inkwell

Banned
I'm a little stuck here. I'll keep it simple:

Secret that leads to level 4. GREEN SLIMES.

My god, how am I supposed to deal with those things? I'm thinking I should just come back a little later after finding some more equipment and leveling a little bit more. Any advice? This might have already been mentioned, but I've been avoiding spoilers.

Muskweeto

I'm a little stuck here. I'll keep it simple:

Secret that leads to level 4. GREEN SLIMES.

My god, how am I supposed to deal with those things? I'm thinking I should just come back a little later after finding some more equipment and leveling a little bit more. Any advice? This might have already been mentioned, but I've been avoiding spoilers.

I don't know how strong you are but my (lame) strategy was to kill one, leave the room and close the door to rest until the status effect wore off, rense and repeat. Those guys are strong at that point in the game.

iavi

Is there a demo of this somewhere? I'm not sure if my bootcamped Macbook can handle this. (lol)

Minsc's post a page or two back had the hardware test. I was wondering if I could run it on my BC'd 2008 MBP with an 8600 and C2D. Runs just fine for me--30~fps/maxed out/720p--according to it.

There is also a hardware test from a few months ago, the final game might be slightly more optimized, but it should give you peace of mind if you're still unsure.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
quick question but does the game support quick save and quick load

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
The game lets you type in a title for each save too, so I'll often type in a quick description of what I'm doing at the time. "right before I spent a bunch of skill points" etc

haikira

Thanks guys for pointing me in the direction, of buying directly from the devs. Bit the bullet earlier and bought it. I've only played about half an hour, so far. But I'm really digging it.

Herla

I reached the third level thinking "man, I'm tearing these skeleton warriors apart...this game is fun!"
Then I encountered a spider.
Nope. Nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope.

I'll take a break for today.
Also, is there a way to loot those armoured corpses I see around? Seems unfair to just leave them there.

Wired

Playing on the hardest difficulty, it's not too hard at all and I'd recommend choosing it from the start. Currently I'm on level 9 and I've been playing for over 20 hours, talk about a great game and value for you money.

Cheech

The poster above has a valid strat, but personally I would just rip through 1-2 (killing off party members in the process, but didn't matter), then go up the stairs and use the healing crystal, and then go back down to deal with some more.

I wouldn't recommend dodging them, they actually give out decent XP.

I also had big fun
training spiders into the teleporters, and watching them zap around into oblivion.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
The poster above has a valid strat, but personally I would just rip through 1-2 (killing off party members in the process, but didn't matter), then go up the stairs and use the healing crystal, and then go back down to deal with some more.

Exactly what I did, thank goodness for the quick cool down time on the crystals. I figured I'd drain the hunger meter less if I did that instead of resting.

Inkwell

Banned
I don't know how strong you are but my (lame) strategy was to kill one, leave the room and close the door to rest until the status effect wore off, rense and repeat. Those guys are strong at that point in the game.

I wouldn't recommend dodging them, they actually give out decent XP.

I also had big fun
training spiders into the teleporters, and watching them zap around into oblivion.

Exactly what I did, thank goodness for the quick cool down time on the crystals. I figured I'd drain the hunger meter less if I did that instead of resting.

Ok, I'll do that. I'm having a really tough time even taking down one. I'm a bit of an item hoarder though and could probably make a healing potion or two. I have some bombs as well, but I'm not sure if it's worth wasting them here.

scy

Ok, I'll do that. I'm having a really tough time even taking down one. I'm a bit of an item hoarder though and could probably make a healing potion or two. I have some bombs as well, but I'm not sure if it's worth wasting them here.

The hardest part of fighting them is the limited space. An Ice Mage helps a lot as freezing them will buy you a full round of combat. The first few are the roughest as you have the least amount of room to pull them back to but it gets easier as you kill a few.

Healing Potion mats are super common (especially since you get the flask back!) so I wouldn't feel too bad about using a few. Ideally though, you just shouldn't get hit when killing them. Cast from range, throw things at it, attack it when it's walking into the tile in front of you, etc.

Cheech

I have a rogue that I'll get started by pelting one with arrows/throwing daggers, so by the time the thing gets to me, it has some health shaved off already. Sometimes, yeah, you get unlucky and you have to retreat and can't even kill one.

Also, I put some points into ice, and the spell I'm using
(bottom two corners)
does pretty good damage to them.

Inkwell

Banned
The hardest part of fighting them is the limited space. An Ice Mage helps a lot as freezing them will buy you a full round of combat. The first few are the roughest as you have the least amount of room to pull them back to but it gets easier as you kill a few.

Healing Potion mats are super common (especially since you get the flask back!) so I wouldn't feel too bad about using a few. Ideally though, you just shouldn't get hit when killing them. Cast from range, throw things at it, attack it when it's walking into the tile in front of you, etc.

I haven't found how to freeze anything yet. I could experiment or look at the chart in the OP, but I would rather find the scroll. Maybe I missed it. I just got to level 4 and have 1 ice spell. I honestly don't know where to distribute points for my mage, but I think I'll make sure to focus on ice. Freezing enemies seems incredibly useful.

As far as ranged attacks go, that may be an issue. My only true ranged spell is that poison one. I barely have found any arrows. After that I have something like 3 shurikens and 3 throwing knives. Then of course I have the bombs. I don't really want to waste my bombs though.

I have a rogue that I'll get started by pelting one with arrows/throwing daggers, so by the time the thing gets to me, it has some health shaved off already. Sometimes, yeah, you get unlucky and you have to retreat and can't even kill one.

Also, I put some points into ice, and the spell I'm using
(bottom two corners)
does pretty good damage to them.

I think my fire spell does a little more damage at the moment, but I think that spell has a little more distance. Could be a little more useful actually.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

scy

Curious for those who got beyond Floor 6:
Are there actually three Gold keys or do you just have to choose one of the three Treasures? If it's the latter, there really doesn't seem to be any good reason to not get the +3 Fire Skill +10 Fire Resist book for your Mage, even if you're not going Fire

Oh, and what's the "intended" solution
for Haunted Halls? I ended up Frost Bombing a Legionnaire on the switch so I could dart into the room with the key but that seems like an awfully roundabout way to get it done. Must be something I overlooked since the enemies are infinite respawn here

I haven't found how to freeze anything yet. I could experiment or look at the chart in the OP, but I would rather find the scroll. Maybe I missed it. I just got to level 4 and have 1 ice spell. I honestly don't know where to distribute points for my mage, but I think I'll make sure to focus on ice. Freezing enemies seems incredibly useful.

If I recall, the scroll is ...
a little farther from where you're at, actually
:x

As far as ranged attacks go, that may be an issue. My only true ranged spell is that poison one. I barely have found any arrows. After that I have something like 3 shurikens and 3 throwing knives. Then of course I have the bombs. I don't really want to waste my bombs though.

That's all I had as well. You recover them after they're used. I'd save the bombs for real threats personally; these enemies aren't that bad since you can still move.

Philia

OMFG. Just when I thought I've seen the two secret type of buttons, but I just found the THIRD one. OMFG. I'll need to scour the floor 5 and 6 again for those type of buttons lmao!

Oh yeah, what's the difference between hard and easy? Exp gains or enemy health? Etc?

Darkone

i am so hooked on this game, it gives me back memories from the days of Lands of lore and Eye of beholder series, i really hope it will start a new dungeon crawler age of games.
hope to see a sequal soon :).

scy

OMFG. Just when I thought I've seen the two secret type of buttons, but I just found the THIRD one. OMFG. I'll need to scour the floor 5 and 6 again for those type of buttons lmao!

Oh yeah, what's the difference between hard and easy? Exp gains or enemy health? Etc?

So interested if you find any on Floors 1-5. I never went back to look and I'm really curious if I just flat out missed them all :|
I can say that there were some on Floor 6 though :x
I might go check for this actually, hm.

As for Hard and Easy, it's primarily damage I assume. Most non-small fry enemies do a relatively decent amount of damage (20-30+ on anything bigger than wimpy Legionnaires). Don't know if there's an EXP difference. 60 - 90 - 190 - 500 seem to be my pretty common EXP amounts for enemies on Hard.

Inkwell

Banned
If I recall, the scroll is ...
a little farther from where you're at, actually
:x

That's all I had as well. You recover them after they're used. I'd save the bombs for real threats personally; these enemies aren't that bad since you can still move.

I just defeated
all those slimes
. I didn't realize that you get all of your ranged stuff back. Now my only issue is weight/storage capacity, especially after getting the special item from that part. I have no clue what to do with my rogue now. I have so many options that I'm not sure where I should be putting my points. Also, I think I have to mix some potions to make some space, or utilize my crates/bags a little more efficiently.

scy

I just defeated
all those slimes
. I didn't realize that you get all of your ranged stuff back. Now my only issue is weight/storage capacity, especially after getting the special item from that part. I have no clue what to do with my rogue now. I have so many options that I'm not sure where I should be putting my points. Also, I think I have to mix some potions to make some space, or utilize my crates/bags a little more efficiently.

I store my potion reagents in it's container. Too bad picking up items doesn't seem to interact nicely with bags/boxes for stacking items :/

My Rogue is some Daggers and then Assassination. Seems like a good combination for the skillset but it'll largely depend on what my expected ended level is (currently Level 11, I believe). She off-hands throwing weapons just to have them, though I have no points invested in the tree so it's more just for "enemy more than one step away" moments. I was originally going Missile weapons but liked the idea of back-row Dagger more so I switched.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
My mage has a pack full of scrolls. WTH do I do with these things? Once I learn the spell, is it safe to discard them?

You don't need scrolls to learn spells, they just show you the combo, you can discover them without the scrolls. If you have the combo memorized then toss em.

You don't need scrolls to learn spells, they just show you the combo, you can discover them without the scrolls. If you have the combo memorized then toss em.

OK. I'll write the combos down whenever I find a scroll then. Thanks.

Use them for putting on plates to set them off.
Good idea. I've been using trowing weapons whenever I run out of rocks. Didn't even occur to me to use scrolls.

Philia

OK. I'll write the combos down whenever I find a scroll then. Thanks.

Good idea. I've been using trowing weapons whenever I run out of rocks. Didn't even occur to me to use scrolls.

Used up torches work quite well too! :)

So interested if you find any on Floors 1-5. I never went back to look and I'm really curious if I just flat out missed them all :|
I can say that there were some on Floor 6 though :x
I might go check for this actually, hm.

As for Hard and Easy, it's primarily damage I assume. Most non-small fry enemies do a relatively decent amount of damage (20-30+ on anything bigger than wimpy Legionnaires). Don't know if there's an EXP difference. 60 - 90 - 190 - 500 seem to be my pretty common EXP amounts for enemies on Hard.

Lol I already got my steam achievement for walking so many miles! ;)

Thanks for the response on the hp/exp difference. :D

I'm trying to keep my laptop from getting too hot! o.o'

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Having now reached the 10th floor here is a big tip for you folks:

Keep an Arrow, Rock and Skull. I won't say why, but make sure you have one of each by the time you hit the 9th floor.

Top Bottom