• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Nice ending. :)

I think the difference between this game being really easy and really hard is how you approach it. You can't play it like it is turn-based, don't just sit on a square and fight it out. Just about any encounter in the game if you can move it to a set of 4 open tiles you can win without even getting hit just by moving in circles. My Wahook Whirling experience served me well.

Part of the reason I really dislike the combat so far. Just hate the real-time aspect which turns all my vast decision making into circle strafing arena duels.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Part of the reason I really dislike the combat so far. Just hate the real-time aspect which turns all my vast decision making into circle strafing arena duels.

I'm loving the game, but I'm starting to catch on how to easily exploit the combat system either by circle strafing or exploiting opening/closing doors.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Definitely, it made me restart just to ditch my mage. A minimum of 3 clicks to cast a spell just doesn't work very well when you're circle-strafing something that can 1-hit anybody in your party if you are a bit slow to strafe/rotate.

Ditched the mage, ditched bows/crossbows, one back row person carries a torch+dagger, the other carries throwing weapon+dagger, axe mino and sword mino in front. Just use the throwing stuff to pull/trigger pressure plates since both of them get Reach with any melee weapon.

taoofjord

I can understand the dislike for the real-time combat but I really enjoy it. First of all, this is how a bunch of the old dungeon crawlers were. And they were tough! It's not always as easy as simply circle-strafing. Once you get more than one monster coming at you have to keep track of where all of them are so you don't get boxed in. You've got to be aware of your cooldown's for each character, lining up the bad guys to hit more than one with your spells... and exploting is fun in its own right. Especially for people that like games like Demon's Souls/Dark Souls.

Anyway, the real-time combat is a different kind of challenge but for me it's entertaining in its own right.

foxdvd

so glad they are doing well....

I have talked at least one other person into getting this.....10-14 bucks for what you get....some of the games on xbla/psn should feel shame...

scy

How often are people casting spells in-combat if it's that big of a deal? I lead with one and then don't really worry much about it until the next fight (and I can just setup the spell to cast before engaging anyway). Even then, long enough cooldowns on my melee (+back-row Dagger) that it doesn't take much extra setup for a quick spell cast.

Hell, most things die too fast to really need multiple spells. The only pain in the ass enemies that I wanted chain casting on were some slimes and that was mostly due to the area layout. Maybe some of these later floors will change that.

nickcv

ok, at the end of the second floor
i screamed like a little girl when i opened the iron door and there were the 4 skeletons behind it.

i can't remember when was the last time i had such a reaction for a game... love it!

tomedo

I'm loving the game, but I'm starting to catch on how to easily exploit the combat system either by circle strafing or exploiting opening/closing doors.

That's not really "exploiting", game rewards you for being active.

So glad to hear that devs have made their money back already!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How often are people casting spells in-combat if it's that big of a deal? I lead with one and then don't really worry much about it until the next fight (and I can just setup the spell to cast before engaging anyway). Even then, long enough cooldowns on my melee (+back-row Dagger) that it doesn't take much extra setup for a quick spell cast.

Hell, most things die too fast to really need multiple spells. The only pain in the ass enemies that I wanted chain casting on were some slimes and that was mostly due to the area layout. Maybe some of these later floors will change that.

I suspect people with multiple mages.

scy

Then that's their fault for having two Mages! :x

Good point though. WWRM for my setup and it's kind of been laughably easy to juggle the cooldowns (Sword, Mace, Throwing | Dagger, Spell). Hardest part of the combat has been keeping my EXP levels all the same.

Philthy

I'd just be happy for a "Cast previous spell" button.

They would probably have to rebalance the cast delays if they did that. Spells get extremely powerful, and being able to spam them at will with no error in fumbling would really make the game really easy. The way it is right now, the better you are with typing that stuff in, the stronger your party is. You have a direct correlation with your abilities to the character. It's sort like casters in WoW with everything on timers, and trying to get your casts perfectly synced.

MasLegio

Banned
Still think it would be good to be able to assign F1-F4 to spells.

They might have been dethroned at Steam but they are still no 1 at GOG.
Do sales at their site count as steam sales as the code is activared on steam?

I'm glad I have two mages since I'll be able to try out every spell on my first run through the game, I'll have every type of resistance, and even if combat casting is tough, I can use one mage for casting at a time and switch to the other when the first runs out of energy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm tempted to make a party of 4 Rogues tonight to see how they fare. The only reason I ever stop in combat as-is is so I can choose runes carefully for my two Magi.

scy

I'm tempted to make a party of 4 Rogues tonight to see how they fare. The only reason I ever stop in combat as-is is so I can choose runes carefully for my two Magi.

Honestly, I had this in mind has a later challenge run but it really seems like this may be a pretty easy way through the game.

A better party is 3 rogues and an air mage.

Air magic for invisibility which is great for backstabbings, and having at least one mage to enchant arrows for your back row archer rogue.

haikira

Does buying the game on GOG, give a key redeemable on steam? Think I'll still go with GOG regardless of the answer, as I feel like paying them back for my free copy of Fallout. Though just curious to know.

garath

A better party is 3 rogues and an air mage.

Air magic for invisibility which is great for backstabbings, and having at least one mage to enchant arrows for your back row archer rogue.

I may change my fire/frost mage to air. I've put about 15 points into ice but only the base 2 into fire. It's not too late for me!

Does buying the game on GOG, give a key redeemable on steam? Think I'll still go with GOG regardless of the answer, as I feel like paying them back for my free copy of Fallout. Though just curious to know.

No, only buying from the developer's site directly.

poisonelf

I'm loving this game more than I can describe. So many years of attributing a constant desire for some types of 'good old games' to nostalgia was simply wrong of me. This game incredibly, pure, fun.

I hope the best for the developers, and hope they stick to, and expand, this type of game and not get lured into the typical modern cRPG formulas.

Level 5 at this point and getting my ass handed to me by the
blue flying serpents that spit lightning

I'm loving the spell casting. It seems like a simple way of saying 'hey, casting spells is slower and complicated'. Keep your shortcut keys out away from my old school hardcore-ness.

To be honest it does get kind of repetitive, but the puzzles, straightforward difficulty of 'you screwed up, you die', and the oppressive mood make up for most of it.

I'd pay full price for a next installment including some larger, perhaps outdoors, areas, huge enemy variety, and some kind of subterranean societies and shops etc. Definitely simple, ala Stonekeep or Ultima Underworld, under no circumstances endless terrains with hundreds of NPCs giving out fetch quests.

Awesome game.

haikira

Actually out of curiosity. Does anyone know what version of the game, will give the devs the most money. As they seem like cool guys. Based on them including that control scheme.

lol51

I just finished level 2 and in terms of Stuff (secret/treasure/etc) I've counted:

1 treasure, 9 secrets, 2 iron doors

I also made maps of first 2 floors:

First Floor: Link
Second Floor: Link

Philia

I just finished level 2 and in terms of Stuff (secret/treasure/etc) I've counted:

1 treasure, 9 secrets, 2 iron doors

I also made maps of first 2 floors:

First Floor: Link
Second Floor: Link

Your map is pretty good for old school run, but you're off on second floor just slightly by a couple of rows of cells to be shifted to the right by one cell.

Sinatar

It's well worth finding the secret entrance to level 8. The sword you get for finishing that floor is *ridiculous*.

OK, I'm about to boot up for the first time. Was contemplating easy with the pre-built party. Now I'm thinking Normal and a custom party because I'm an idiot.

What should I make for a party first time round? Some dudes say an insect guy for mage? Tips?

I'm loving this game more than I can describe. So many years of attributing a constant desire for some types of 'good old games' to nostalgia was simply wrong of me. This game incredibly, pure, fun.

I hope the best for the developers, and hope they stick to, and expand, this type of game and not get lured into the typical modern cRPG formulas.

Some games have gotten so far from the basics that when a game return to it's simple roots, it's great. I say kudos and keep it simple. expand but do not forget the basics.

KarmaCow

Is there any point to hording items? I just reached the third floors and I have tons of spears and shields weighing me down in the hopes I could break them down or something.

Sinatar

Is there any point to hording items? I just reached the third floors and I have tons of spears and shields weighing me down in the hopes I could break them down or something.

Equipment never breaks and there are no stores or anything to offload them so no, hoarding equipment is a waste.

Food however you want to keep every bit you can.

syllogism

No. You should, however, hang on to
one rock, one skull, one arrow and a bone necklace

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm looking to trade 1600 Microsoft funbux for Grimrock and Sniper Elite ($16 total) if anyone is interested.

I'm desperate, I have no credit card

sykoex

Lost all credibility.

I like to hold on to a couple superfluous items in case I want to keep a floor button pressed.

Okay I give up Level 5: Deserted Tunnels, I think I know what to do but it seems I'm a second too late, been on this for two days.
Hit the lever, back up, sidestep, turn around, throw the rock/knife down the hall, sidestep to door and back up
, right? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Once I make it to Level 6 I'm going to stop and pick it up later, don't want to burn out on this game.

scy

Okay I give up Level 5: Deserted Tunnels, I think I know what to do but it seems I'm a second too late, been on this for two days.
Hit the lever, back up, sidestep, turn around, throw the rock/knife down the hall, sidestep to door and back up
, right? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Once I make it to Level 6 I'm going to stop and pick it up later, don't want to burn out on this game.

That ... sounds right? Maybe? I'll check in-game real quick. I assume you're talking about the area at the start of there?

Edit: Yeah, that's basically how I did it:
Pull lever, step back, strafe left, turn around, throw rock, turn around, strafe right x3 and then go forward. Should have about ~1s of leeway time.

Top Bottom