• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

deim0s

For anyone playing this on a Mac via Wineskin or whatever:

Whipped up a quick icns file using the cog graphic for the app wrapper so it doesn't look out of place (only in 256x256 tho):

http://d.pr/5MYi (zip file)

HWB8a.png

EGM92

How long is the game?? I've made it to level 9, it's getting super hard, monsters are getting very strong and I'm not leveling as fast.

Las question I've got for now: does the game really require a beastly machine to run well? I've only got a dual core processor at 2 Ghz, but my video card and ram should be okay( nvidia 460 gt and 3Gbs of ram)

I'm playing on medium settings on an old ass P4 3.00GHz, 2GB RAM, and a Radeon HD 3800 with zero problems. There was some slight stuttering on high settings, but nothing big.

I'm so stuck on FLR3.
I can't find the second key after the spider room. I know there are a few secret areas I'm missing, but other than the one with the book, I can't find them.
Going to take a break, play some Fez, and do some more searching.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
For anyone playing this on a Mac via Wineskin or whatever:

Whipped up a quick icns file using the cog graphic for the app wrapper so it doesn't look out of place (only in 256x256 tho):

http://d.pr/5MYi (zip file)

HWB8a.png

What sorcery is this. Playing Win32 games on OSX. Wow.

Someone should create a thread about this.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Just a heads up, for anyone who's GPU Fan is going batshit insane while playing Grimrock: Turn on V-Sync. That fixed the issue for me.

mrgone

These spiders on floor 3 are assholes

I think I've spent the better part of an hour now trying to find a way around that room that doesn't involve fighting a entire nest of spiders one at a time. That constant skittering only gets more unsettling.

My strategy for those spiders involved playing hit and run. I have a rogue and mage in the back line with two fighters in the front. I just spam projectiles from afar with the rogue to aggro one. Once the spider closes in I hit it with one of my fighters or a spell and back away before it can attack me, hit it as it steps towards me, back away. I end up walking backwards through most of the dungeon doing this over and over but it stops my party from getting completely wrecked by poison. If you go toe to toe with one of those things my front line is usually pretty beat up after just one encounter and can't stand up to another without resting.

I hate those spiders.

I opened the door to the spiders, let one approach, quickly attacked it a few times, then closed the door. They didn't have a chance to attack. After my attacks cooled down I opened the door again. Did that until they were all dead.

mrgone

I opened the door to the spiders, let one approach, quickly attacked it a few times, then closed the door. They didn't have a chance to attack. After my attacks cooled down I opened the door again. Did that until they were all dead.

It took me so long to kill one of them fooling with the door chain that I started looking for other options. Never actually found a better way, though! :(

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Spent the last 45 minutes on floor 2 looking for a key or something.

Checking all the walls for buttons, and I've got nothing. Could anyone offer some advice?

I did find
The secret room that you get to by putting a torch on the wall

Here's my current map for the floor: (spoilers for floor 2!) http://i.imgur.com/XzcGB.jpg

Philia

Currently stuck on Floor 6's Hall of Fire's Pits puzzle.
There's a key over the pits and I only found two click buttons. One click button would closed up the platform so I could click on another switch. That second switch does seem to do nothing from what I saw.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
There's a key over the pits and I only found two click buttons. One click button would closed up the platform so I could click on another switch. That second switch does seem to do nothing from what I saw.

There are 4 switches around the central pillar.

So I'm playing with two mages and two fighters. The mages seem pretty crap because of the casting method and the way the combat works. It seems like as the game gets harder it becomes more important to abuse the AI and kite etc. But the mages seem pretty crap for this. Am I going to be in serious trouble later in the game?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I'm playing with two mages and two fighters. The mages seem pretty crap because of the casting method and the way the combat works. It seems like as the game gets harder it becomes more important to abuse the AI and kite etc. But the mages seem pretty crap for this. Am I going to be in serious trouble later in the game?

Mages are quite powerful once you get a skill up to 24 to buff up your bread and butter spell for that school. Just preload your spells before combat, you shouldn't need more then 1 or 2 castings to take most things out.

Just got to floor 4.
Holy shit these slimes. I actually miss the spiders! Does the main part of the floor have these, or just this secret area? Wait, don't tell me. Let it be a surprise.

scy

Speaking of Floor 6, still curious as to what the intended solution is for Haunted Halls'. I used
a frozen Legionnaire
but that's not something I imagine EVERYONE can do.

Anyway, Floor 8 was fun :x Even got a sweet
new Sword that procs a spell!

Speaking of Floor 6, still curious as to what the intended solution is for Haunted Halls'. I used
a frozen Legionnaire
but that's not something I imagine EVERYONE can do.

In that zone I simply pressed a plate, saw a door opening, i entered fast enought. I don't think it's necessary to keep someone in that plate. Or, who know, maybe I got lucky and there was
a frozen Legionnaire
following me and kept the door opened.

In that same level, damn with the
fire skeletons. I killed all 3 of them, finished the puzzle, 3 more appeared, I made them follow to the main area... and when I went back to that zone, there were 3 more.
I decided to go down and forget about it, but maybe I'll go back to grind some XP, when I'm powerful enought. They give some nice XP.

Yes, it does.
It closes a pit on the opposite side of the column. You have to left,left,forward,forward, 180 turn, left, left, fast enought, and press another button (and then, you'll have to make fast left, forward, turn right, press another button, back)
. Keep the cursor on the center on the screen, to be able to press the buttons fast enought.

Zizbuka

Banned
OK, I give up. I have no experience with these type games, minus a little time in Stonekeep.
I'm stuck on level 2, think it's called Old Tunnels.

I've cleared everything, including the holding cells, only thing left is a room with snails and a message outside the gate that says something like "no weapons allowed". I used 1 key, and have another gate to the life crystal. I'm obviously missing something to get into the snail room.

OK, I give up. I have no experience with these type games, minus a little time in Stonekeep.

I've cleared everything, including the holding cells, only thing left is a room with snails and a message outside the gate that says something like "no weapons allowed". I used 1 key, and have another gate to the life crystal. I'm obviously missing something to get into the snail room.

Try putting some items in the nook by the door, it should open.

If it says "no weapons allowed", the logical step is to put your weapons in there. But you can simply put any unused dagger, to enter in that cell with weapons.

alex1893

Spent the last 45 minutes on floor 2 looking for a key or something.

Checking all the walls for buttons, and I've got nothing. Could anyone offer some advice?

I did find
The secret room that you get to by putting a torch on the wall

Here's my current map for the floor: (spoilers for floor 2!) http://i.imgur.com/XzcGB.jpg
search in the cells
same problem here... the cells are closed, is there a hidden switch somewhere to open them?

cluto

same problem here... the cells are closed, is there a hidden switch somewhere to open them?

Pretty sure you guys are at the part where you have to grab a key through the closed gate. It might be underneath some armor or something.

scy

In that zone I simply pressed a plate, saw a door opening, i entered fast enought. I don't think it's necessary to keep someone in that plate. Or, who know, maybe I got lucky and there was
a frozen Legionnaire
following me and kept the door opened.

Just to double check, this is for the secret in that area with the
final Round Key for the Iron Door? The pressure plate and the door it opens are separated by a hallway and you can't make the run normally. Items don't seem to weigh down the plate either

69/71 secrets. No idea where to search for the last two. Ugh.

The only obscure one I can think of right now is Floor 6's
Walkabout Secret

Quick question- I just got a character to sword level ten and he unlocked an ability called slash, is there a way in particular to use it or does it just go off sometimes?

Just to double check, this is for the secret in that area with the
final Round Key for the Iron Door? The pressure plate and the door it opens are separated by a hallway and you can't make the run normally. Items don't seem to weigh down the plate either

Yes, I doublechecked and it seems that it was lucky and I was followed by a skeleton without realising it :p

You dont need to freeze anyone. They only need to pass through the plate to "reset" the counter, and then you'll have time enought to cross the wall.

um, this game seems to be quite difficult. I just cleared the spider area and that involved a LOT of loading. There seems to be very little avenues for healing (I guess I should rest more) but being poisoned is like a guaranteed death (odd that resting recovers more health than the poison takes away). and the only way to resurrect is to find a blue stone? Urrrghhhh.

I wish monsters would respawn so I can grind a bit. X_X

also there really ought to be shortcut+keymapping for spells and attack. or am I missing something.

TGMIII

This may have already been asked/answered but are each of the floors randomly generated or is it the same every time?

Inkwell

Banned
I just got to level 6, and I have to say this game is pretty awesome. I'm still a little iffy on the whole grid-based movement in real-time stuff, but I think I'm mostly used to it. I just love the balance of combat and puzzle solving. I've been a bit obsessive about checking every single wall for hidden buttons though.

Top Bottom