• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

hmm, I'm interested but hearing that sorta puts me off. What is there in terms of re-playability? Is it just higher difficulties and different class loadouts?

The puzzle nature of half the game really wouldn't work if the dungeons were random. As to replayability there are as you said different difficulties and party selections, but also it looks to have an editor as well as future dungeons from the developers. First thing you do when you start is pick the dungeon and difficulty, there is just only one dungeon now.

TGMIII

The puzzle nature of half the game really wouldn't work if the dungeons were random. As to replayability there are as you said different difficulties and party selections, but also it looks to have an editor as well as future dungeons from the developers. First thing you do when you start is pick the dungeon and difficulty, there is just only one dungeon now.

Ok. Well last question then. How many floors are there and what's the general length for the first playthrough.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ok. Well last question then. How many floors are there and what's the general length for the first playthrough.

There's
floors and the game is ~15-20 hours. You could do a medium > hard transition for two playthroughs, with a different party layout the second time. They will most likely be releasing a map editor so there will be additional dungeons down the road as well, free maps created by the community from the editor and perhaps paid or even free ones from the devs too (they haven't really commented much about this).

For under $15 it's a pretty good deal, and if you played any of the older dungeon crawler games you'll really enjoy this one. The puzzles are pretty fun and the game looks great.

Will this game run decently on a modern laptop (Samsung Series 9)? It looks pretty cool!

Find out for sure with the hardware test tool.

syllogism

There's
floors and the game is ~15-20 hours. You could do a medium > hard transition for two playthroughs, with a different party layout the second time. They will most likely be releasing a map editor so there will be additional dungeons down the road as well, free maps created by the community from the editor and perhaps paid or even free ones from the devs too (they haven't really commented much about this).

For under $15 it's a pretty good deal, and if you played any of the older dungeon crawler games you'll really enjoy this one. The puzzles are pretty fun and the game looks great.

Find out for sure with the hardware test tool.

Regarding the floor count:
Huh, there are 13 floors and floors 11-13 might as well be one slightly longer level.

Still, it definitely takes 15+hours if you explore almost everything

Level 8. Amazing so far. The amount and quality of the puzzles is like having the best puzzles of the best 20 dungeon crawlers of the late 80's in the same game.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Sort of digging this game, but wish it was more dungeon crawler and less puzzle. Some of the timing puzzles are annoying.

TGMIII

So I decided to pick it up after Minsc's good words but I'm sort of having an issue. When I'm playing it, for whatever reason my GPU (HD6950 2GB twin frozr) goes to 65C+ even on lowest settings which is the highest I've ever seen it. Runs BF3 on high and only reaches 50. Anyone else having issues like this?

So I decided to pick it up after Minsc's good words but I'm sort of having an issue. When I'm playing it, for whatever reason my GPU (HD 6950 twin frozr) goes to 65C+ even on lowest settings which is the highest I've ever seen it. Runs BF3 on high and only reaches 50. Anyone else having issues like this?

turn on vsync

scy

Well that's a little annoying (Achievement spoiler, I guess?):
You HAVE to use a Crystal for an Achievement. I mean, I guess I can reload after doing it but I don't know if it changes something :(

Just finished the game. Probably one of the biggest surprises hits I've ever experienced. Definitely one of the best games I've played in a long while.

npm0925

Man, I just want to call in sick to work tomorrow and crawl through the depths of Mt. Grimrock. This game reminds me of Might & Magic 6 more than anything else; the clickable nature of the combat is just as addictive.

So I decided to pick it up after Minsc's good words but I'm sort of having an issue. When I'm playing it, for whatever reason my GPU (HD6950 2GB twin frozr) goes to 65C+ even on lowest settings which is the highest I've ever seen it. Runs BF3 on high and only reaches 50. Anyone else having issues like this?

Mine got hot too. Gtx 570

Card Boy

Banned
Check the area for all possible pressure plates!

This combined with "Think outside the box" on the Steam forums solved it for me. Floors 1+2 are pisses of piss and are basically 'tutorials'. The game just ramped up in its puzzle complexity department on Floor 3, and i image the other floors get harder.

Minsc

Gold Member
Mine got hot too. Gtx 570

Make sure you have v-sync (preferably the triple-buffer choice) on. If necessarily, install FRAPS so you can make sure your framerate is 60fps, and not 200+. The new patch due soon will force v-sync on by default, which should help. My GPU is only at 25% usage with v-sync, the game should not be pushing a 570 that hard if you're limiting the framerate.

This combined with "Think outside the box" on the Steam forums solved it for me. Floors 1+2 are pisses of piss and are basically 'tutorials'. The game just ramped up in its puzzle complexity department on Floor 3, and i image the other floors get harder.

Yep. There are some levels that are not so much about puzzles, and is more about combat and traps, but puzzles got quite complicated. At level 8, I didn't found any mandatory puzzle too complicated, but there are some related to the iron doors, or extra stuff to get fancy equipment that are really hard.

There is even a full level that is quite optional (not spoiler because i don't say what level). You can go to the next floor, or you can do a lot of complicated stuff to reach the optional part and, inside, a lot of complicated stuff to complete it and get the bonuses.

At level 6, each time that you fulfill a secret or a step on the puzzle in the zone of the
Pit Puzzle of the fire people (and that's like 3 or 4 times) not only the damn fire guys respawn... also the crab of the start of the area also respawn, ambushing me when I'm fleeing of the fire guys.

And some times I came from lower levels and
the crab was in there. I start thinking that this motherfucker respawn each time that I use one of the save stones

So I was on Floor 5 and had about 30 saves in Legend of Grimrock.

I turned off my PC this afternoon.

Booted it back up tonight.

Now I have none.

What the fuck.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just beat it, man what a fantastic game. Definitely the best game released this year so far.

I can't wait to see what these guys release next, hopefully a DLC dungeon and then work on a follow up of some sort with a more fleshed out character class/RPG system.

As an aside I remember someone posting that they starved to death on the 7th floor. I dunno how he managed that, you'd have to be beyond awful at this to run out of food, I always had more then I could carry and had to leave caches all over the dungeon.

EDIT: Oh and if Atari knows whats good for them they'll hire these guys on to revive the Eye of the Beholder franchise.

TGMIII

Make sure you have v-sync (preferably the triple-buffer choice) on. If necessarily, install FRAPS so you can make sure your framerate is 60fps, and not 200+. The new patch due soon will force v-sync on by default, which should help. My GPU is only at 25% usage with v-sync, the game should not be pushing a 570 that hard if you're limiting the framerate.

After I stopped being an idiot and remembered I'm playing on a 120hz monitor I realized that it's obviously running at 120fps. Guess I'll play around with Radeonpro and see if I can force it to 60FPS.

SparkTR

hmm, I'm interested but hearing that sorta puts me off. What is there in terms of re-playability? Is it just higher difficulties and different class loadouts?

If it were randomly generated they wouldn't have been able to create those awesome puzzles. They'll be releasing more content later, but it's a fairly chunky game as is.

Eusis

I think it'd be neat if either they added a random dungeon later or modders figured out how to make one, but yeah. The puzzles and design are such you really wouldn't want this to be random generated only.

Ravager61

I'm having this problem as well. I can only play for about 20 or so minutes before my computer shuts down entirely because my video card is overheating. This has never happened to me before with any game.

I have a radeon 4850 btw. Anyone have any ideas?

Eusis

I'm having this problem as well. I can only play for about 20 or so minutes before my computer shuts down entirely because my video card is overheating. This has never happened to me before with any game.

I have a radeon 4850 btw. Anyone have any ideas?
V-sync the game. Or get RivaTuner and subsequently D3DOverrider if you prefer to throw in triple buffering (with a game like this, may as well).

scy

Pretty sweet, IMHO, best I've come across in a long time.

It was good. And
that final boss was kind of ... unexpected

Man, I want to do another playthrough and make a proper map with everything marked off ... but I also need to get the Old School mode Achievement :(

hauton

I understand this is in keeping with some of the more old-school mechanics, but I really dislike having to scroll past every wall to look for a little loose rock to open up a secret.

It's tedious imho and not conducive to fun, which is what devs always should strive for.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I understand this is in keeping with some of the more old-school mechanics, but I really dislike having to scroll past every wall to look for a little loose rock to open up a secret.

It's tedious imho and not conducive to fun, which is what devs always should strive for.

What if I find it fun to search for secrets? also fun is subjective.

scy

:( You can't actually do a non-full party run? Guess I'll just make a full party and lug around two dead bodies.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hrmm... Are there ever any upgrades to the Dagger category? I'm on level 6 now.

My 3 Rogue + 1 Mage run was going pretty well until around level 4. Now, my Rogues do very little damage, and the vast majority of my damage comes from my Mage's lightning bolts.

I really enjoy finding those things. Of course, I'm not scouring every single wall. What do you propose they do? Add sparkles so you can't miss them? Kind of kills the point in my opinion.

hauton

Hrmm... Are there ever any upgrades to the Dagger category? I'm on level 6 now.

My 3 Rogue + 1 Mage run was going pretty well until around level 4. Now, my Rogues do very little damage, and the vast majority of my damage comes from my Mage's lightning bolts.

I really enjoy finding those things. Of course, I'm not scouring every single wall. What do you propose they do? Add sparkles so you can't miss them? Kind of kills the point in my opinion.
I think it would be more palatable to me if there was a more conspicuous hint that the wall was funny, but the actual spot was harder to find - i.e., not the exact same spot. There would at least be the novelty of actually finding the spot. As it is right now, it feels too much of a chore IMHO.

Ledsen

I don't agree with that last part. Devs should strive towards giving the player a great sense of accomplishment, which doesn't necessarily equate to "fun 100% of the time". It can and probably should include rougher spots where the player has to perservere. I'm not saying this is a great example of that, just commenting on the general sentiment. A better example is learning a complex set of rules: not necessarily FUN, but very rewarding once you've mastered them. Always striving for FUN is what has made genres such as the first person dungeon crawler disappear almost completely.

Jubbly

I don't agree with that last part. Devs should strive towards giving the player a great sense of accomplishment, which doesn't necessarily equate to "fun 100% of the time". It can and probably should include rougher spots where the player has to perservere. I'm not saying this is a great example of that, just commenting on the general sentiment. A better example is learning a complex set of rules: not necessarily FUN, but very rewarding once you've mastered them. Always striving for FUN is what has made genres such as the first person dungeon crawler disappear almost completely.

I haven't had time to play the game extensively, but my favorite secret so far was on the third or fourth floor
when passing through a room with an identical layout to the very start of the level, except this time the door is wide open and there's no hint of anything extra. If you recognize it's the same layout and do the exact opposite to that initial puzzle and you're rewarded with a secret.

Wow, this game is awesome. Loving the puzzles so far (level 7). And the combat is a lot better than I expected. Several times I have planned out my fighting route to avoid being cornered by a mob. Like "when the mob arrives go left once, back 8 times quickly, left, etc".

Trick I came up with for using magic arrows without having to pick them up manually:

When I am going to use magic arrows I leave a single regular arrow in my mage's left hand. That causes the mage to automatically pick up all the used arrows.

Top Bottom