• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

kafiend

Hrmm... Are there ever any upgrades to the Dagger category? I'm on level 6 now.

My 3 Rogue + 1 Mage run was going pretty well until around level 4. Now, my Rogues do very little damage, and the vast majority of my damage comes from my Mage's lightning bolts.

I really enjoy finding those things. Of course, I'm not scouring every single wall. What do you propose they do? Add sparkles so you can't miss them? Kind of kills the point in my opinion.

I found a nice dagger, can't recall where it was apart from it being a bit further than you are and in a secret area. I never used it though as my rogue was using other things.

Edit: See below post - still wouldn't like to confirm its level as I discarded it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
well, people can expect more games from them:

Launch week update

Oh yeah, we’ve had many inquiries on how the sales have been doing and, well, we couldn’t be happier with them! We were sitting solidly as the #1 Steam top seller for a while but it seems like we have now been dethroned… So if you still know anyone who might be able to help us in our struggle to regain dominance, let them know ;) ! Anyways, the development costs of the game have now been covered many times over so the future of the company seems pretty secure. So, everyone who has bought our game and supported us, you have our gratitude!

game needs healing spells! and a cleric class.

um, oh. I saw the spell list/master list yesterday briefly. is it cheating if I look at it again? I'm tempted!! :O

btw this game is old school in its visuals and mechanics. reminds me a bit of old Might and magic. I LOVE IT!

kyubajin

I'm already past the 13 hour mark and just made it to Level 8. This game is brilliant, wish there were more modern games like it, are there? I can only think of the Etrian Odyssey series, Dark Spire, etc but now I'm addicted to real time combat and all those games are turn based... Is there any other modern-ish game like Grimrock at all?

SparkTR

I'm already past the 13 hour mark and just made it to Level 8. This game is brilliant, wish there were more modern games like it, are there? I can only think of the Etrian Odyssey series, Dark Spire, etc but now I'm addicted to real time combat and all those games are turn based... Is there any other modern-ish game like Grimrock at all?

Though it looks rough around the edges and isn't grid based, Tomes of Mephistopheles is a first person dungeon crawler that's in alpha currently.

eXistor

Made it to level 8 yesterday. I love how sometimes the game seems impossible, but after a reload it all becomes clear and you're able to proceed without a hitch. Also the puzzles are consistenly great. You always have to think logically and you feel great when you figure stuff out. Just an all-round fantastic game, a real surprise.

Maedhros

I'm finishing Level 6. It's the hardest level so far, and I just got the best item ever.

GODDAMIT man, this level is fucking hardcore. These crabs, the fire ghouls... everything there is fucking hard for my party. Also, I'm having problems with the weight, since I'm carrying a lot of things...

I just got the Shield of Valor. HOLY SHIT, if you guys tought this game was hard, wait to get on the room where you get this...

There's a lot of nice items on this level. The puzzles got a lot harder too.

I'm completely satisfied with this game. It's really fantastic.

taoofjord

I've got one more copy of Legend of Grimrock to give out. I'd prefer if this went to someone who doesn't blow a ton of cash on games (since those people would be buying it anyway).

PM Me. Deadline is in two hours.

i would kill for a respec mod. I keep restarting and redoing the first 2 levels just because i want to get the perfect party. But now i know where the first projectile weapon so probably drop my unarmed person. and go with a
sword fighter
axe tank
bow thief
air mage

Yes also Cleric/Priest and more character portraits, needs more hot chicks.

Cleric/Priest could be applied using opposite skill system, in a way that, if you add points in any of the "exclusive classes", the opposite one closes and you can't add points in there.

For example, Cleric could be a set of skills on Mage class (Divine / Healing), that has as opposite (Fire / Ice). Then, if you add skill points of Divine or healing, Fire and Ice get closed.

Same as rogue, that could add some bard-like skills, closing then assassination, or the warrior could get a barbarian/berseker skill, closing the armor skill

scy

@Daggers - All the ones I can think of:
Knife (1st Floor), Dagger (2nd? Floor), Venom Edge (4th Floor), Fist Blade (5th Floor), Assassin's Dagger (7th Floor). Assassin's Dagger being ridiculously awesome due to the damage, speed, and Life Steal

Personally, I find Healing to be unnecessary, even on Hard. I mean, you can rest and food is plentiful (and then some) so that cost is negligible. There's materials for around 40-something Healing Potions at least as well. Healing Spells just don't seem all that big of a deal, really. Though I guess more options isn't really a bad thing :x

I want more floors and/or a harsher game with better EXP rewards if only so you can actually really utilize more of the skills. Though, I guess the amount of skill points you do get is kind of part of the design and it works out well for the most part (though, I wish I knew better when I was putting points in). Just feels awkward that
it is very possible to have a Minotaur without Skilled that might actually not even get 50 Skill Points!

AEREC

Finally broke down and bought the game this morning before work and only had 10 minutes to play.

I kinda like that the tutorial is separate...I think Im just gonna go through the game and figure stuff out on my own.

I do wish there was a quicksave or check point system so I wouldnt have to worry about going through the process of manual saving.

Wish there was also a hardcore mode (autosaves only, game over if you die).

Level 8 Help.

Well, I can't get into the Lightning room at all. Both gates are closed.

I've pushed the button on level 7 and descended that way. I've come down the regular stairs.

I can't figure out how to get into that damned room with the spider. Can someone explicitly lay it out for me?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I might have been a tad over enthusiastic when I started this game without auto mapping. I am basically using random shit on the floor to mark the paths I came from/cleared.

Fitz

Level 8 Help.

Well, I can't get into the Lightning room at all. Both gates are closed.

I've pushed the button on level 7 and descended that way. I've come down the regular stairs.

I can't figure out how to get into that damned room with the spider. Can someone explicitly lay it out for me?

If you keep clearing the level you'll come into that room from another side. Specifically, the way to continue the level is through the long passage with the stone head at the end continuously shooting lightning bolts down.

Cheech

I might have been a tad over enthusiastic when I started this game without auto mapping. I am basically using random shit on the floor to mark the paths I came from/cleared.

IMO, the primary reason for the "old school" mode is so that today's whippersnappers can re-live the drudgery that us 30+ year old dudes had to endure in the old days of gaming.

As somebody who played Dungeon Master when it was a new release... let me just say that intentionally turning off an automapping feature is MADNESS.

BTW, regardless of what else comes up this year, Grimrock is on my GOTY list for sure. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed ME3, it's hard to put into words the pure joy of playing Grimrock. Just a completely unexpected surprise, one of those "dark horse" games that comes out of nowhere only once or twice a year. I just wish there was a few bucks put into advertising the thing, right now it's pure word of mouth and the game deserves better.

Loving this game! Got up to the 7th floor last night and itching to play more. Good to hear they've covered the dev costs many times over. I'd like to see more old school dungeon crawlers with this level of quality!

Just got to Level 4. Playing with the default party. Damn. I though the
spiders
on the last level were tough. Must have used the crystal about 5 times.

Right at the beginning of the level the
mushroom chaps
just instantly devastated two of my party.

Playing on Normal. It's been a lotta years since I played Dungeon Master when I was a kid.
Is it supposed to be this difficult? It's challenging and I'm slowly creeping through it, but man.... The atmosphere of playing this is intense. I don't want to use any
potions
as I'm a bit of a harvester, and I'm constantly worried about what'll be next.

It seems this game isn't one of those RPG's where you can mis-spec your characters so much that the game is impossible, which is always something I worry about with RPG's, but I wonder if I've just messed the party up with what I've put skills in. Surely the default party and pumping the stuff they've already spec'd is a reasonably safe way to go.

I persisted through the level but my two fighters that were left fell pretty quick. In retrospect I probably should have gone back upstairs and used the crystal. Do you get penalised for using the crystals too much? Doesn't seem so to me, apart from the slight feeling that you're cheesing the game a little...

Some people have said L3 is one of the harder levels strategy wise, so maybe I'm just coming off the experience of that level, but hey, I made it through it. It's exhausting and frustrating, but definitely one of my contenders for GOTY so far. I can't stop thinking about it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
UjB8I.png

I think people are interested in this game.

deim0s

Seriously, fuck spiders and their poisons!

Still early in the game
Level 3
, I get overrunned by these shits!

Q time:
Does resting often stop hunger?

Gonna run out of food soon and these spiders ain't helping.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Finally got past Level 6. Long days of work the next few days, so might be a bit until tackling 7.

Some of the timing puzzles are a bitch, got easier when I figured it's quicker to save right at the start, and instead of running all the way back up from pits just re-load and try again.

Inkwell

Banned
Just got to Level 4. Playing with the default party. Damn. I though the
spiders
on the last level were tough. Must have used the crystal about 5 times.

Right at the beginning of the level the
mushroom chaps
just instantly devastated two of my party.

Playing on Normal. It's been a lotta years since I played Dungeon Master when I was a kid.
Is it supposed to be this difficult? It's challenging and I'm slowly creeping through it, but man.... The atmosphere of playing this is intense. I don't want to use any
potions
as I'm a bit of a harvester, and I'm constantly worried about what'll be next.

It seems this game isn't one of those RPG's where you can mis-spec your characters so much that the game is impossible, which is always something I worry about with RPG's, but I wonder if I've just messed the party up with what I've put skills in. Surely the default party and pumping the stuff they've already spec'd is a reasonably safe way to go.

I persisted through the level but my two fighters that were left fell pretty quick. In retrospect I probably should have gone back upstairs and used the crystal. Do you get penalised for using the crystals too much? Doesn't seem so to me, apart from the slight feeling that you're cheesing the game a little...

Some people have said L3 is one of the harder levels strategy wise, so maybe I'm just coming off the experience of that level, but hey, I made it through it. It's exhausting and frustrating, but definitely one of my contenders for GOTY so far. I can't stop thinking about it.

I'm using the default party and have essentially done what you have done with my points. It's worked for me so far, so I wouldn't worry about it. I'm somewhere around 3/4 of the way through the game. It gets a bit trickier with the mage. I still haven't really specialized in something for him, though I have a general idea of what I might choose.

Use crystals and rest. There's plenty of food if you're worried about that. Healing potions are more for using during battles. Don't be afraid to use them either, as there's a decent amount of ingredients. Just use crystals and rest over potions whenever possible.

It sounds like you're having some trouble with combat. It took me a while to get used to circling enemies while trying to click on my weapons to attack. Each enemy has little quirks in how they attack and move. For example, at the beginning of floor 4:

Those mushroom enemies seem to be able to attack from all sides. The trick is to move into a position where they are in a square diagonal from you. Attack them when they start walking into a square right next to you, and then move out of the way. Typically they won't attack if you do it correctly.

You can even use tactics very similar to that for pretty much any kind of enemy. You'll learn that facing 1 or 2 enemies of any type can be pretty easy. Just remember to be very active in moving and circling enemies. You'll really need to have a good handle on the controls for later levels.

KingKong

so what are everyone's favorite levels so far?

i think i really liked level 7. its more linear than some of the other ones, but its very well paced

So there is a really crazy super secret in this game that's amazing. You have to do a very specific thing while playing, beat the game, and then do a very specific thing the next time you start a new game.

In this case the link to it is a spoiler, so here are a few spaced out spoilers, each getting more spoilery, just to make sure you don't see something you don't want to yet. Highlight carefully...

There is a way to find Toorum in the game. But wait, there's more...

There is a way to resurrect Toorum's corpse in the game. But wait, there's still more...

After you resurrect him and beat the game there is a way to play as Toorum. If you can't figure it out on your own, click here!

syllogism

So there is a really crazy super secret in this game that's amazing. You have to do a very specific thing while playing, beat the game, and then do a very specific thing the next time you start a new game.

In this case the link to it is a spoiler, so here are a few spaced out spoilers, each getting more spoilery, just to make sure you don't see something you don't want to yet. Highlight carefully...

There is a way to find Toorum in the game. But wait, there's more...

There is a way to resurrect Toorum's corpse in the game. But wait, there's still more...

After you resurrect him and beat the game there is a way to play as Toorum. If you can't figure it out on your own, click here!
I was so close to figuring that out on my own

I even started a new game, typed in Toorum but then when nothing happened immediately, I didn't bother actually finishing character creation

scy

Was
the first thing I tried after beating the game. I wanted to do a solo run like Toorum :x It's a shame that I hate the skillset he gets (Armor/Axe/Sword/Earth/Fire/Spellcraft). I wanted to do an Unarmed playthrough. Need a way to hack out Swords for Unarmed :x

what classes/races should I use? I always see human + minotaur in the front line.

Minotaur is nice to get a little bit of extra damage out of things but I just like all Humans for the portraits and better starting skill points (4 vs 1 without Skilled). It's really not a big deal in the end.

marrec

Banned
It sounds like you're having some trouble with combat. It took me a while to get used to circling enemies while trying to click on my weapons to attack. Each enemy has little quirks in how they attack and move. For example, at the beginning of floor 4:

Those mushroom enemies seem to be able to attack from all sides. The trick is to move into a position where they are in a square diagonal from you. Attack them when they start walking into a square right next to you, and then move out of the way. Typically they won't attack if you do it correctly.

You can even use tactics very similar to that for pretty much any kind of enemy. You'll learn that facing 1 or 2 enemies of any type can be pretty easy. Just remember to be very active in moving and circling enemies. You'll really need to have a good handle on the controls for later levels.

It took me so long to find the best way to go about combat. I'm used to standing there and mashing the buttons till the monsters die or at the very least running backwards while firing arrows. This though, I've started to treat this combat more like Armored Core, which is fantastic. I haven't gotten hit buy a
crab
since I started playing at combat like this.

Ferrio

Banned
Gah, can't find a way into a door on level 3

There's an iron door past a pit, on the opposite side of the door (like right behind you) is an iron bar door. Not sure how to open up either. Is it somewhere close? I've explored the level up to the entrace to where the stairs go down to 4

scy

Gah, can't find a way into a door on level 3

There's an iron door past a pit, on the opposite side of the door (like right behind you) is an iron bar door. Not sure how to open up either. Is it somewhere close? I've explored the level up to the entrace to where the stairs go down to 4

If this is where I think it is
there's two puzzles here. One is the torches and the pillar just like the one at the start of the floor; do the opposite of the first puzzle (torches on the wall, none of the pillar) to open the gate. As for the Iron Door, it should be controlled by the pressure plate back in the moving portal room

what classes/races should I use? I always see human + minotaur in the front line.

The reason you should use one minotaur is the Head Hunter trait. It allows you to collect skulls for a huge damage boost, but only one minotaur can hold them. It is worth choosing a minotaur for that trait alone. Keep in mind that a melee fighter needs dexterity for accuracy, so I maxed dexterity as much as possible for my minotaur. You could also make him a range weapon user, in which case you don't need dexterity since range weapons always hit.

As for classes, the only thing I would definitely avoid is using 2 mages, unless you already know how the magic works and think you can handle using 2 at once.

mik83kuu

Banned
So far I'm hating the game more than I thought I ever could. Only on level 4, but the spiders in level 3 were making me hate the game. I don't like the tile-strafing combat at all and my custom built group hasn't found any decent gear. I mean my rogue hasn't even found a single missile weapon and I thought I could benefit from specializing in one weapon category on my characters so he's basically specced only for that weapon type...

When i first saw the game in action a few weeks ago, I thought it would be randomly generated and turn-based. I wanted to give the game a chance even though I learned I was wrong on both accounts. Now I feel like this game would be tons better if it was just a regular free-moving melee FPS.

I guess this game is too old-school for me or something :-(

Top Bottom