• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

So far I'm hating the game more than I thought I ever could. Only on level 4, but the spiders in level 3 were making me hate the game. I don't like the tile-strafing combat at all and my custom built group hasn't found any decent gear. I mean my rogue hasn't even found a single missile weapon and I thought I could benefit from specializing in one weapon category on my characters so he's basically specced only for that weapon type...

When i first saw the game in action a few weeks ago, I thought it would be randomly generated and turn-based. I wanted to give the game a chance even though I learned I was wrong on both accounts. Now I feel like this game would be tons better if it was just a regular free-moving melee FPS.

I guess this game is too old-school for me or something :-(
Floor 2 and 3 both have missile weapons. You need to look harder. Both secrets are kind of obvious.

scy

So far I'm hating the game more than I thought I ever could. Only on level 4, but the spiders in level 3 were making me hate the game. I don't like the tile-strafing combat at all and my custom built group hasn't found any decent gear. I mean my rogue hasn't even found a single missile weapon and I thought I could benefit from specializing in one weapon category on my characters so he's basically specced only for that weapon type...

I think by Floor 4 you should have found every missile weapon type actually. If nothing else,
Floor 3 definitely has a Bow, has a hint pointing you back to it, and it's not even actually hidden, just a puzzle in the middle of the room

Dunno what to say to you about the combat though. I find it to be the highlight of the game next to the dungeon design.

Island

Didn't win the "free" copy that was posted in here earlier.

Is this game worth it? My backlog is massive (and money is tightish) but this Dungeon Keeper type game tickles my fancy.

(One of my favourite memories was getting attacked by the screaming broccoli and desperately throwing knives and other crap at them or dropping them in a pit. Oh and killing the mummy at the very beginning with the gate was one of my "Holy Crap that worked" moments)

Is this game like that?

Cheech

Didn't win the "free" copy that was posted in here earlier.

Is this game worth it? My backlog is massive (and money is tightish) but this Dungeon Keeper type game tickles my fancy.

(One of my favourite memories was getting attacked by the screaming broccoli and desperately throwing knives and other crap at them or dropping them in a pit. Oh and killing the mummy at the very beginning with the gate was one of my "Holy Crap that worked" moments)

Is this game like that?

I assume you mean Dungeon Master, but yep. It is a ridiculously good value for the price paid.

Is this game like that?

It's exactly like that, well, you can't kill monsters with gates.

MasLegio

Banned
This has been the exact opposite of my experience, so you're going to have to expand on this a bit.

too often when I need to access items in someones inventory during combat, I get killed. Would not have happened if I could have assigned hotkeys to certain inventory items.

the more I play this, the more I think a touch version of this game would be great. They should defiinitley try to port this to the tablets. It would make spell casting more user friendly and fun. I'd definitley double dip

too often when I need to access items in someones inventory during combat, I get killed. Would not have happened if I could have assigned hotkeys to certain inventory items.

Well, duh, of course you could get killed if you try to use something during combat, is in real time, the monsters will not wait for you to lick your wounds, if you are severely injured or need to pick another weapon or whatever from your inventory, the best option is fleeing, this way you can heal and equip yourself safely, and then go back to battle.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I appear to have lost my stockpile of Throwing Stars somewhere around Level 7-8. My Rogue feels naked without them.

This game is amazing, by the way. It's tough and sometimes quite unforgiving, but in a way that somehow always seems fair.

scy

Man, I had no trouble tossing my Shurikens between all four characters (guaranteed hit so full EXP earned!) and some inventory management mid-combat. Juggling potions mid combat like a boss.

question: do the monsters STAY dead once you killed em or do they respawn if you say, leave the dungeon/level/floor or whatever and then come back?

Some enemies respawn (well:
just Floor 6, really
) but most don't. No grinding your way to victory here! :x

yamo

Using swords on my human warrior but have yet to decide what weapon to specialize in on my minotaur. Was thinking axes but I have not found any so far (im on the third lvl).

Any suggestions GAF?

scy

Using swords on my human warrior but have yet to decide what weapon to specialize in on my minotaur. Was thinking axes but I have not found any so far (im on the third lvl).

Any suggestions GAF?

Maces have some bad -Accuracy on most of them but the best Mace in the game
procs Freeze, which is pretty damn ridiculously good
while I ... don't really remember what the best Axe does. They're both obtained around the same time and the upgrades for both are paced around the same too.

cicero

When i first saw the game in action a few weeks ago, I thought it would be randomly generated and turn-based. I wanted to give the game a chance even though I learned I was wrong on both accounts. Now I feel like this game would be tons better if it was just a regular free-moving melee FPS.

I guess this game is too old-school for me or something :-(

Well, I was able to find a sling to use with all of my rocks, and a bow plus several arrows in Levels 2-3. Perhaps you didn't take the time to get everything and just rushed through?

I think I've found 3 bows and 28 arrows so far. That doesn't include crossbows and crossbow bolts. I did miss the sling though, it felt great when I got that first bow.

deim0s

Well, I was able to find a sling to use with all of my rocks, and a bow plus several arrows in Levels 2-3. Perhaps you didn't take the time to get everything and just rushed through?

Will keep a sack of rocks from now on.

Are you able to retrieve 'all' of your arrows after defeating an enemy? Not using my frost arrows at all in fear of how scarce stuff is around.

Just realized my only mage is a master of nothing! Should I specialize?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Special arrows will turn into regular arrows once you use them.

Yeah, once I learned that I just said fuck it, fired them all off so that I at least had a good amount of arrows in his possession so he didn't keep running out. I think I'm at 12, just finished Floor 6.

Speaking of arrows, I just made it to the 7th floor and I only have four quarrels. Did I miss any? Four doesn't seem like much at all.

Also, about Floor 6,
can I return to previous floors, or is this a point of no return?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Speaking of arrows, I just made it to the 7th floor and I only have four quarrels. Did I miss any? Four doesn't seem like much at all.

Also, about Floor 6,
can I return to previous floors, or is this a point of no return?

you missed some.

you can return.

frequency

Are there scenery changes?
I'm really interested in this, but every single video and screenshot I've seen looks pretty much the same.

It's all just brown tunnels. Is that all there is?

I know it's like in a prison so I'm not sure if it ever changes.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Are there scenery changes?
I'm really interested in this, but every single video and screenshot I've seen looks pretty much the same.

It's all just brown tunnels. Is that all there is?

I know it's like in a prison so I'm not sure if it ever changes.

There are 3 tilesets.

Inkwell

Banned
The reason you should use one minotaur is the Head Hunter trait. It allows you to collect skulls for a huge damage boost, but only one minotaur can hold them. It is worth choosing a minotaur for that trait alone. Keep in mind that a melee fighter needs dexterity for accuracy, so I maxed dexterity as much as possible for my minotaur. You could also make him a range weapon user, in which case you don't need dexterity since range weapons always hit.

As for classes, the only thing I would definitely avoid is using 2 mages, unless you already know how the magic works and think you can handle using 2 at once.

I feel kind of stupid. I went with the default party, so I never went through character creation. Didn't look at my character sheets in detail either. I had no clue about this! I know I've seen at least 2 other skulls that I never picked up, and one that I lost somewhere along the way. I'd at least like to collect the last skull that I saw, but can't seem to find a guide for them. Now I'm wondering what else I've missed.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've never really played one of these games before, but this looks really interesting. Have too many other games to play right now, but I'll probably pick it up when it goes on sale on Steam!

Finalow

ok just started to play.
I have an human fighter, minotaur fighter, human rogue and mage insectoid.

the better skills to upgrade for all of them?

ok just started to play.
I have an human fighter, minotaur fighter, human rogue and mage insectoid.

the better skills to upgrade for all of them?

Just pick one and go with it and the supplement with another skill.
Rouge dont have a huge use of assassination unless they are back row dagger attackers.
Swords and Unarmed deall pretty good damage and weapons appear pretty early
maces and axes are less accurate but deal more damage
a fighter should probably get at least 8 armor to get light armor proficiency or

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Assassination's reach attack perk is a thing of beauty. Getting three melee attacks in while dodging around an enemy is tons of fun!

Finalow

yeah about the rogue I don't really know what skills to upgrade. I mean is he better with a bow or he's better with something else maybe?
assassination seems all about backstabbing but I don't think I'll do that a lot.

yeah about the rogue I don't really know what skills to upgrade. I mean is he better with a bow or he's better with something else maybe?
assassination seems all about backstabbing but I don't think I'll do that a lot.

Now that my rogue gets the double arrow attack (and now that I have around 15 arrows) he's become a much better damage dealer. Couple that with the ability to enchant the arrows with magic damage and he's even more powerful. I'm sure assassination is great too, but if you pump points into missiles you won't regret it.

scy

Assassination/Dagger on my Rogue and she was pretty much a monster in terms of reliable damage output. Backstabbing isn't too bad with a good source of freeze on your side. That and the window for backstab is pretty wide so it's surprisingly easy to get it off even on fast turning enemies. All you really need to do is attack at any point before they're completely turned around.

That said, the ranged weapons let you not care about Dexterity which is a nice plus (which also makes Missile's +Dex a little questionable).

Finalow

my rogue isn't in the front line so or missiles or bows, I think bows.

btw can I like teleport from a level to another? In case I need food I guess I need to go back and kill snails.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
my rogue isn't in the front line so or missiles or bows, I think bows.

btw can I like teleport from a level to another? In case I need food I guess I need to go back and kill snails.

You can attack from the back row with daggers once you have a few points in assassinate.

There is no fast travel to previous floors, you gotta hoof it manually.

Maedhros

A front row Rogue with Assasination/Dagger was my choice. It's really nice, specially after I've got a good dagger. The damage is very high with Stab/Backstab.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
My Rogue is doing just fine with all points into Throwing Weapons in case people are worried about Missile Weapons out-DPSing throwing ones. Faceful of Shurikens and Throwing Axes for the poor sods that run into us.

scy

A front row Rogue with Assasination/Dagger was my choice. It's really nice, specially after I've got a good dagger. The damage is very high with Stab/Backstab.

That's the nice perk of Dagger Rogue, they upgrade every floor until they get their ridiculously good final weapon :x

Eh, I dunno, this game is wearing thin on me. The puzzles are good in many cases but so far they all involve just a small group of elements (buttons, sliding doors, trap doors and a few others).

Combat is pretty meh.. every enemy is effectively the same.. you circle strafe them and attack appropriately. The only times when I use any other strategy is when the enemy is weak enough that I don't have to care about strafing.

I guess I'm about halfway through the game and there have only been two tilesets so far as well. Magic is barebones, with nothing interesting that I've found yet.. just straight ahead attack spells. Weapons don't seem to differ much.

I was liking this at first, but I'm getting tired of it..

Island

Picked this up last night after a very brief internal debate...

WOW.

This game is fun, they have certainly captured the old-school feel. Just made it to Floor 3. And I had to force myself to turn it off. (Just one more puzzle, just one more.)

Someone said there was 3 different types of secret buttons? More?

The two I know of:
The small rock in the top-mid-right.
The long block in the top-mid. (This one is pretty obvious).

Without spoiling too much, how hard is it to pick up on the other types?

scy

WOW.

This game is fun, they have certainly captured the old-school feel. Just made it to Floor 3. And I had to force myself to turn it off. (Just one more puzzle, just one more.)

The two I know of:

I think the last type is pretty obvious but it's
something added to the walls, not a button or oddly shaped rock

For something more concrete:
it's a faint magic rune symbol

Haunted

WOW.

The two I know of:

Also keep in mind that other tilesets add other secret button types.

Top Bottom