• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

Eh, I dunno, this game is wearing thin on me... I was liking this at first, but I'm getting tired of it..

Take your time. It's amazing to me how people have beat it already. I'm on LVL 9 and I'm giving it a break not because it's not fun, I can definitely play more hours on end, but I can see myself burning out on the game. I looked up hints for LVL 6 & 8 because the puzzles were getting a bit old but I was trying to rush the game.

I'll do a little bit here and there until I finish and that may take weeks or months. Just give it a break and come back to it.

Vastag

Anyone has had any problem with saved games? I don't know how but my last saved game just got replaced by a much earlier saved game.

nvm, I got it.

are ice magics good btw? I'm doing my mage with points only there.

Ice is great - it's not as powerful as air in the end, but the bolt spell has a chance to freeze and the first level spell does a line of damage. Small enemy spoiler below if you are worried about that sort of thing.

there is at least one enemy type later on that is completely resistant to ice, so having enough points for a shock or fireball spell may be worth it later on.

for some reason I am imagining that torches give better (more) light than the light spell so I keep using them

Torches definitely give more light than the spell, but it's nice to be able to fall back on the spell in a pinch.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think the problem is with the classes. Needs more classes/dual classes and more points to distribute.

Don't think more classes are going to help when the classes it does have don't have enough variety in the first place.

Instead of more classes I'd rather be able to craft-a-class, picking any 5 or 6 skill lines I wanted.

lingiii

Banned
meh, I took my first dagger and I have 12 points in assasination but he does like 3 damage. =(

Daggers are kind of rough for a little while. Go Daggers instead of assassination, and make sure your dagger guy has a thrown weapon also I'd say. I'm not sure but it seems different types of enemies are susceptible to different kinds of weapons? I feels like now sometimes my minotaur fighter's mace is stronger than my rogue's dagger, but sometimes the other way around?

Inkwell

Banned
Just finished the game...

Hated the stupid cube. I absolutely despise boss fights when there's mobs of enemies. This was 10 times worse than those other fights. You get trapped by enemies and can't move? Instant death. I had to use multiple save files throughout the fight or else I would have never finished it. Once most of the enemies were crushed, it was much better. I think if the enemy count was lower from the start it would have been better. Maybe I approached the whole situation wrong.

Well, besides that I loved the game. I might give it a second go at some point. Should be fun to actually make a party, though it would probably be very close to what the default party was. I'm also interested to see what people do with the level editor when it releases.

Finalow

is there a trick to win the Fighter's Challenge? I mean seems impossible to stay there and make like 20 potions during the fight. =/

scy

is there a trick to win the Fighter's Challenge? I mean seems impossible to stay there and make like 20 potions during the fight. =/

I used up about 4 potions for it. Just beeline towards a corner and stand your ground. Dealing with them two at a time beats four. No other trick for it that I can think of for this really.

Best suggestion may just be to come back later.

Inkwell

Banned
I used up about 4 potions for it. Just beeline towards a corner and stand your ground. Dealing with them two at a time beats four. No other trick for it that I can think of for this really.

Best suggestion may just be to come back later.

This is exactly what I did. I used about the same amount of potions too. I had the default party and my mage died almost instantly every single time I attempted it. You have to be quick about making it to a corner, because the enemies could easily move in front of you and block you.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The level 1 ice spell is good for fighters challenge since it can ping multiple groups of the bastards. Other then that you just gotta brute force it.

Finalow

I won, just went like you suggested in a corner and then I killed them all. that shield is amazing.

by the way do you guys know where I can find all the skulls and treasure #5, #6 and #7? On you tube there are guides until treasure #4.

scy

I won, just went like you suggested in a corner and then I killed them all. that shield is amazing.

by the way do you guys know where I can find all the skulls and treasure #5, #6 and #7? On you tube there are guides until treasure #4.

Depends on which treasures you're missing, though I guess we're doing them in order:

Floor 8, Floor 13, and Floor 11 (accessible after Floor 13) all have treasures.

If you want more exact than that, I guess:

Floor 8's is in the Vault with the Dismantler; not that hard to find, just look for the hidden switch. I guess the hard part is reaching this room to begin with.

Floor 13 is in the tunnels in the northern part leading to the Treasure Room / Crystal. Should be a (not-so) hidden switch in one of the tunnels that will open a wall in a different dead-end.

Floor 11 is a hidden rune on the wall in the eastern-side puzzle. There's not much to explore in this area so it's hard to miss if you check the walls

Skulls I don't remember the exact locations off-hand but I think Floors
2, 4, 7, 8 (or was it 9?) and 11 have Skulls I believe

Finalow

Depends on which treasures you're missing, though I guess we're doing them in order:

Floor 8, Floor 13, and Floor 11 (accessible after Floor 13) all have treasures.

If you want more exact than that, I guess:

Floor 8's is in the Vault with the Dismantler; not that hard to find, just look for the hidden switch. I guess the hard part is reaching this room to begin with.

Floor 13 is in the tunnels in the northern part leading to the Treasure Room / Crystal. Should be a (not-so) hidden switch in one of the tunnels that will open a wall in a different dead-end.

Floor 11 is a hidden rune on the wall in the eastern-side puzzle. There's not much to explore in this area so it's hard to miss if you check the walls

Skulls I don't remember the exact locations off-hand but I think Floors
2, 4, 7, 8 (or was it 9?) and 11 have Skulls I believe
thanks. I'm at level 7 right now and I missed one skull, at level 4 I guess.

Jubbly

Patch 1.1.4 going out to Steam and co. right this very moment:

he patch mainly fixes some bugs and improves compatibility on some more exotic systems, but we managed to slip in a few new features too. Fans of quick save/load should be pleased now and we also threw in volume sliders which has been a pretty popular request. But most importantly you can now import your favorite portraits into the game. Have fun with them!

The patch is save game compatible so no need to worry about losing your saves.

We have pushed the patch to Steam, GOG and our own store and it should be available once the distributors have done their magic, hopefully within 24 hours. Steam users will get the patch automatically, and if you bought the game from GOG or from us you can download the patched version of the game using the same way you obtained the original copy. But hold on a bit, it will take some time before the build gets updated on the servers :)

• vsync is enabled by default
  • borderless windows are no longer topmost
  • pressing ESC closes character sheet
  • fixed unlimited frost arrow exploit
  • improved display resolution auto-detection at first launch
  • fixed a couple of typos and broken english
  • removed check that disables high texture resolution setting when running low on video memory (some graphics drivers seem to report available video memory incorrectly)
  • quick save/load
  • volume sliders
  • to avoid confusion autosave & quicksave slots can’t be renamed anymore
  • adjusted gui layout and camera fov so that user interface elements do not overlap with important screen areas on non-widescreen displays
  • invert horizontal mouse option
  • camera bobbing option (only available by editing the config file manually)
  • configurable tooltip delay (only available by editing the config file manually)
  • frame rate limiter (set to 120fps but can be changed by editing the config file)
  • custom character portraits
  • bug fix: very long map marker notes without spaces in them causes the automap to crash
  • bug fix: editing a map marker that is on the same exact spot as a marker on the other map page edits them both at the same time
  • bug fix: map labels are sometimes drawn partially underneath map symbols
  • bug fix: topmost menu item doesn’t work reliably in high resolutions such as 2560×1440
  • bug fix: wall text translations are not dismissed when right-clicking
  • bug fix: inanimate objects can be backstabbed
  • bug fix: projectiles go through doors in some very rare cases
  • bug fix: saving the game crashes if all save game slots are full and the autosave slot is deleted or unused
  • bug fix: Fighter’s Challenge doesn’t open if there’s an item in front of the door (only applies to new games, existing save games still have this bug)
  • bug fix: saving the game just after the end fight creates a corrupted save that can lead to crashes and the end sequence not getting triggered correctly
  • bug fix: auto pickup doesn’t pick up the correct amount of ammo in some rare circumstances
  • bug fix: standing on stairs and turning with the mouse, followed by a turn using q/e keys is buggy
  • bug fix: when a monster is damaged, experience point text sometimes (very rarely) flash in a square where a monster has been killed
  • bug fix: trying to load a save game that has just been deleted manually from the file system (e.g. in Windows explorer) crashes the game

http://www.grimrock.net/2012/04/20/patch-1-1-4-released/

MasLegio

Banned
quick save/load?

hhhnnnnggggggg

why not?

saves three clicks everytime you have to go to menu, select save/load and confirm.

but if you still prefer clicking more times for the same function you still can do it

do the characters and their progress remain for second playthrough once youve beaten the game?
because I see no way any skill can be maxed in one playthrough unless maxing just the one and ignoring all the others

Ledsen

why not?

saves three clicks everytime you have to go to menu, select save/load and confirm.

but if you still prefer clicking more times for the same function you still can do it

do the characters and their progress remain for second playthrough once youve beaten the game?
because I see no way any skill can be maxed in one playthrough unless maxing just the one and ignoring all the others

I think "hnnnnnnnnnggggh" is a good sound.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I would have screwed myself pretty bad if the game had quicksave when I played through it.

Forcing myself to use multiple save slots all the time was for the best.

So I'm about to walk down to level 3. Got default party. Suggestions on spec? Got some points to distribute.

Mostly have Sword for Human Fighter
Axe for Mino & skull (which goes in offhand?)
Rocks & throwing Knives with throw weapon spec for Rogue
Mage is basic fire and poison mist

npm0925

So I'm about to walk down to level 3. Got default party. Suggestions on spec? Got some points to distribute.

Mostly have Sword for Human Fighter
Axe for Mino & skull (which goes in offhand?)
Rocks & throwing Knives with throw weapon spec for Rogue
Mage is basic fire and poison mist
Don't spread your skill points too thinly. With your party:

Fighter - Swords (max), Armor (stop at light armor)
Mino - Axe, Armor (up until heavy armor), keep the skulls in his inventory window
Rogue - Throwing
Mage - Spellcraft, Fire, Earth

Finalow

started the Toorum mode, so nice lol. at easy tho. =0
I don't know if I will finish this game again NOW but I want to finish it with thise mode as well.
great game.

Is the patch up in steam?

And by the way, for those who asked for a place to grind,
in the level 6, the room next to the infinite snails one, has infinite spear skeleton reespawning, it has this inscription in the entrance "Haunted Halls".

yamo

Second time the whole game downloads for me, oddly enough the Witcher EE did this aswell. Dunno if it's some weird setting in steam that make all my game updates dowload twice.

epmode

It looks like we all just redownloaded that 650 MB Grimrock.dat file. I thought Valve was switching all new game content over to the new delivery system. Differential patches!

Finalow

It looks like we all just redownloaded that 650 MB Grimrock.dat file. I thought Valve was switching all new game content over to the new delivery system. Differential patches!
and now it gives an error and can't start the game lol.

here is another update lol.

Top Bottom