• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

Durante

Wildesy

Man this game is awesome. It's amazing how something so simple, with virtually no story to speak of, can be more engrossing than 95% of the big budget releases. Supposed AAA games with elaborate stories and characters, expansive environments and frenetic gameplay, yet they simply fail to resonate with the player. It's all fancy bells and whistles on the outside but vapid underneath.
In contrast this game knows exactly what it wants to be, it really nails the basics of what makes a game enjoyable to play in my opinion.

And all for $15! Major props to Almost Human. I advise anyone who is snubbing their nose at the premise and the concept to give the game a go. It looks quite dull and unappealing on the surface, but it really is an addictive and enjoyable experience.

VaeVictis

Anyone else got stuck with a character named New Prisoner?

Spent so much time creating charaters and importing the Baldur's Gate portraits that I failed to name my rogue :(

Ledsen

Anyone else hit a bit of a wall of difficulty on the fourth floor? Immediately upon entering there are two guys spewing poison all over the place, in a very small room, making it impossible to employ the usual strafe/hit n run tactic because no matter what you'll be poisoned constantly. I got really discouraged and haven't played the game since dying there.

Anyone else hit a bit of a wall of difficulty on the fourth floor? Immediately upon entering there are two guys spewing poison all over the place, in a very small room, making it impossible to employ the usual strafe/hit n run tactic because no matter what you'll be poisoned constantly. I got really discouraged and haven't played the game since dying there.
You just need to use another strafing pattern. Try to figure out the way the enemies move and attack.

Gvaz

Banned
That's not really floor 4, that's a secret floor.

Inkwell

Banned
I didn't want to mention the secret floor 4 because I went down there, said NOPE and went back.

There's a slow but easy way to deal with that section. Here was my strategy:

Lead one to the door. You can keep clicking the chain that opens/closes the door to keep it half open. It lets you see what the slimes are doing without taking damage. When it moves away from the door, use some ranged attacks (arrows, spells, shurikens, etc.) and then let the door close enough so it can't attack. Eventually use melee attacks and finish that one off. Close the door and run up to the floor 3 crystal. You can rest too, but that will decrease your food meter. Rinse, repeat, etc.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Bought this due to the giantbomb quicklook.

Plugged two hours straight.

This is the first game in years that has had puzzles I enjoy.

Usually even in well made games like portal 1-2 I feel dumb if I don't get a puzzle fast, and I don't feel smart when I get the solution quickly.

Yet when I do puzzles in this so far I actually feel clever even if I am a dumbass.

Maedhros

Finished the game yesterday...

Is that really the last boss? So... I mean, so everything that happened... D:

Is this game set on some scy-fi future? I mean, there are Aliens protecting the Cube.

I dropped the Lurker Boots somewhere in the upper floors and I can't find them now. It's the only piece I need for the achievement. This sucks.

EDIT: Never mind. My mage was wearing them.

Does anyone have a list of gold key locations?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just in case they let us import our party into the DLC (or any potential sequels) I started a second playthrough to min max my guys far better then my first run did.

I take back all the bad things I said about archery now. If you make a minotaur rogue and go full str and give him headhunter he does ridonkulous damage. He was out damaging my end game rogue (equipped with the best bow in the game) with a freaking sling at lvl 2.

HildyB

Caved and picked this up over the weekend. Was pleased to get the update yesterday. So I'm 3 floors down and my mage has 2 spells so far.. am I missing out on some stuff? I find one or two hidden rooms per level so far. Is the loot static or random?

Finalow

Just in case they let us import our party into the DLC (or any potential sequels) I started a second playthrough to min max my guys far better then my first run did.

I take back all the bad things I said about archery now. If you make a minotaur rogue and go full str and give him headhunter he does ridonkulous damage. He was out damaging my end game rogue (equipped with the best bow in the game) with a freaking sling at lvl 2.
minotaur with bow? Never tried it.

Am I imagining shit, or
are Goromorgs opening doors to chase after me?
they can open doors, yep.

Haunted

My finnish is a bit rusty, but I think I'm missing something with the thread title. >_>

Someone explain it to me.

DEX flat-out not being needed for ranged characters is just strange and so deceptive in an RPG. :p Really weird.

Caved and picked this up over the weekend. Was pleased to get the update yesterday. So I'm 3 floors down and my mage has 2 spells so far.. am I missing out on some stuff? I find one or two hidden rooms per level so far. Is the loot static or random?
Static, always the same. There are a lot more hidden rooms in the game, around 8-10 per level on average, I'd say. The first floor being a bit of a tutorial has less than that, though.

I think you can find 4 or 5 spell scrolls by the time you're on floor 4. But I'm not sure, since I used the spell list in the OP to get a bit of an advantage on the game. ^_^

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Any console commands for this game?

I just need a couple of hints on level 9. Hints, please, no full solutions!

How do I open the door "Holy Scriptures?"

How do I get past the "Pillared Hallway?"

I got a golden key from killing one of those blue dinosaurs, which seemed kind of strange, because I haven't seen a door to use it on yet. Is this maybe just a random drop, and could I go back up to the previous level where I had to choose between one of three golden doors to open, and get another treasure?

Also, how many floors are there? Just trying to gauge whether I can finish the game before going out of town in a couple of days...

scy

I just need a couple of hints on level 9. Hints, please, no full solutions!

How do I open the door "Holy Scriptures?"

If I remember right,
see what you can do about those banners...

How do I get past the "Pillared Hallway?"

You'll get the hint
from the above room, I think. If not, there's a note that tells you how to proceed...

I got a golden key from killing one of those blue dinosaurs, which seemed kind of strange, because I haven't seen a door to use it on yet. Is this maybe just a random drop, and could I go back up to the previous level where I had to choose between one of three golden doors to open, and get another treasure?

There's a Treasure Room on Floor 9 as well; you can go back to Floor 6's if you want

Also, how many floors are there? Just trying to gauge whether I can finish the game before going out of town in a couple of days...

Well,
there's 13 in total but Floor 10 is really the last huge floor you'll be doing

Noaloha

The Iron Door on Floor 3. I was *determined* I was gonna solve that bastard. Bloodied and bruised and punctured and cursing all the shitbag denizens of the latter half of this level of the dungeon, I eventually completed the floor (finding
two sets of stairs down
), so I went back to my Iron Door nemesis and began in earnest to poke at shit and try some stuff.

I'd already found a fair few secrets on the floor (
and below the floor
) and figured I'd been pretty thorough. That said, I knew there were a few things that I'd not found the purpose for. I presumed they were part of an elaborate combination of things that would lead to Iron Door-based triumph. Nu-uh. Going back through this so-called 'completed' level, I found no less than four other secret areas, none of which having anything to do with the Iron Door which I was attempting to solve.

Highlights of the loot were:
A tome giving permanent +25 health.
and
Bracelet giving +2 Protection and +50 poison resist! -- I laughed at this, having just barely scraped my way though the spider horde, but inside I was crying.

Still without my Iron Door, and somewhat distraught at the equally shitty prospects of taking it on the chin and leaving the door alone, or looking up an online answer, I pored over the map and made a conscientious decision to try one last thing and focus my attention in one particular suspicious area of the dungeon level. Sure enough, after a few minutes of deliberate experimentation, I heard the glorious sound of stone grating on stone. The Iron Door was mine.

Point of this post? Just to highlight the game's puzzle density I guess. I had no idea I'd missed so much (and such decent loot, too). The game feels rewarding in a very specific way, one that I'm enjoying a lot. I think I came into it doing it a disservice, not expecting the amount of secrets that there obviously are for those who care to eke them out of the cracks. I hope all the levels are as dense as that.

ExReey

Can anyone recommend me a good party setup for a noob player?

front
- minotaur tank
- human dps
back
- mage
- rogue

or maybe 2 mages instead of a rogue? Are there any advantages to putting a rogue in your party?

Ledsen

Can anyone recommend me an good party setup for a noob player?

front
- minotaur tank
- human dps
back
- mage
- rogue

or maybe 2 mages instead of a rogue? Are there any advantages to putting a rogue in your party?

IMO, Rogues are awesome in the front if you max Dexterity and put tons of Evasion gear on them. My Rogue barely gets hit and dies much later than my stupid Minotaur Fighter.

Can anyone recommend me a good party setup for a noob player?

front
- minotaur tank
- human dps
back
- mage
- rogue

2 mages are not good for a noob player (or even a veteran player) because you need to press the runes to create the spell, so you'll need too much time to make spells with 2 mages.

One rogue is the best, in back, because you can attack with melee weapons from back row. So bet for a lizard rogue, using daggers and in the other hand thrown objects. You can change the weapons for bow or crossbow when you need to keep a distance with the enemies.

Stuck

Level 4 archives. Bottome Right (SE) teleport brings you to a small room with only 1x pressure sensitive plate - where you step on it, it beeps 3 times and brings on a teleport field. I can't find what else to do in here. I've cleared all the other 3 teleport rooms. :/ help!!

VaeVictis

Stuck

Level 4 archives. Bottome Right (SE) teleport brings you to a small room with only 1x pressure sensitive plate - where you step on it, it beeps 3 times and brings on a teleport field. I can't find what else to do in here. I've cleared all the other 3 teleport rooms. :/ help!!

Try
throwing something in the teleporter. Time it right and make sure it's something that flies far, like a throwing knife or ninja star.

MasLegio

Banned
when there is new content will we be able to use the party we cleared the main game with?

I feel the skill system was seriously gimped in the main game since it is impossible to reach 50 with any character if you want them to be usable. Also I feel there were not enough equipment within the game.

KarmaCow

Ha just got to the spider guarding(?)
the Dismantler
. It should have been a simple encounter but I kept killing myself doing dumb stuff.
And of course after the fight I found the switch that lets you get off to the side, that would have trivialized it completely but maybe you need to kill the spider first for it work.
While it was a pretty interesting encounter, I still wish this game was turn based. The majority of encounters basically turn into luring an enemy to a 2x2 space and just circle around them.

Goyta say getting a bit frustrated with teh game. seems like there isn't much control in the combat in some instances and it involves a lot of saving and loading - and THAT to me indicates somewhat flawed combat mechanics. I'm where the blue dinosaurs are and they're okay to fight in a square room where you can move around, but you can't really fight a swarm and corridor fight = sure death.

there really isn't much technique or balance at the end of the day; thats what I think right now anyhow.

Really don't enjoy using the door to kill monsters but it seems to a lot of what I'm doing.

anyhow. thats my level 8 impressions

The thing I hate about getting stuck in this game is not knowing how far back I should go to check everything again. Currently at some early part where there are two locked doors in a row. I opened one, but I have no idea where to look for the second key.

Goyta say getting a bit frustrated with teh game. seems like there isn't much control in the combat in some instances and it involves a lot of saving and loading - and THAT to me indicates somewhat flawed combat mechanics. I'm where the blue dinosaurs are and they're okay to fight in a square room where you can move around, but you can't really fight a swarm and corridor fight = sure death.

there really isn't much technique or balance at the end of the day; thats what I think right now anyhow.

Really don't enjoy using the door to kill monsters but it seems to a lot of what I'm doing.

anyhow. thats my level 8 impressions

Lure them to a door, close the door with them on the other side. Set up your attacks, open door, get your attacks in, close the door. Rinse and repeat until they're dead.

Lure them to a door, close the door with them on the other side. Set up your attacks, open door, get your attacks in, close the door. Rinse and repeat until they're dead.

I just posted that I seem to be doing a lot of that but that's a terrible way to do combat in a combat game. Some of the later enemies are so powerful and can kill you terribly fast and they kind of give you no option but to do this to survive. That's when I kind of got unimpressed and am losing interest fast.

Woo-Fu

Banned

You're using a particular encounter to talk about the entire game, an encounter specifically setup to overwhelm you if you stick around to fight.

Go back and read the warnings at the start of the area. "Trespassers will be hunted." or something like that. You're not supposed to fight those lizards straight up, you're supposed to run for your lives through that area, looking for a door you can close behind you to stop the hunters. You don't have to door exploit to kill them if you don't want to, you don't even have to kill them at all if you don't want to. There is an airlock of sorts at the other end in which you can trap the currently spawned group while you are then safe to explore the rest of the area.

It isn't representative of every encounter in the game, nor is it indicative of overall balance.

KarmaCow

I just got to level
and noticed there is an achievement for getting all the secrets. Turns out I'm missing one secret so far. Fuck.

It's starting to become a habit for me to play through an entire game, give up on the last boss, and just watch the ending on youtube. I gave it a couple of tries and decided it was crazy cheap and not worth bothering.

Having said that, the rest of the game was a blast. I never played this sort of first person dungeon crawler back in the day, and kind of feel like I missed out. Looking for hidden switches was ridiculously satisfying.

Minotaur rogue archer with the head hunter perk, lurker armor, and enchanted frost arrows was the best decision I've ever made in an rpg.

Top Bottom