• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

stuminus3

Very good first impressions for me, it seems to be exactly what it says on the tin - a very beautiful version of Dungeon Master with a clean, modern interface. I'm looking forward to getting into this properly tonight.

Orgun

I was only able to play for 15 minutes or so but this is awesome, gonna be thinking about it all evening now :)

-SD-

Banned
This game is GOOD. I can tell you guys that right off the bat.

It's challenging too and that is a good thing. My first test trip was over on second level already :)

Love the design of the enemies.

Ledsen

So PUMPED!!!! Just made my party:
kellogsf3f72.png

pommesi4eip.png

pudgykxc3m.png

standtex0.png

Gloam

This game certainly impresses right from the get go, everything is so smooth and flashy, yet, familiar. Looking forward to busting out the graph paper later and really delving deep into the dungeon. Will there be an editor for the game? There appears to be a way of selecting dungeons on the menu when you start a new game.

Orcastar

Game looks very promising judging by the first 15 minutes. Too bad my aging computer doesn't run it very well so I'm missing out on all the eye candy... Might just wait until I get a new computer before really diving in.

Anyone find
the secret in the very first room? I did!

taoofjord

Just got to the third level of the dungeon. This game is AMAZING. Flat out amazing. Everything about it is brilliant so far. If you're at all interested in this type of game I couldn't give it a higher recommendation. Can't wait to see what these guys do next, they're really freaking talented.

bengraven

Fucking. Hell.

This game is so fucking great. I never played DM and never got far into the MM games or Shining in the Darkness. Felt too difficult.

This holds you in and stays old school while feeling like a AAA game.

So much fun.

Also: I'm hoarding torches. Am I the only one?

Game looks very promising judging by the first 15 minutes. Too bad my aging computer doesn't run it very well; I'm missing out on all the eye candy... Might just wait until I get a new computer before really diving in.

Anyone find
the secret in the very first room? I did!

The FIRST room? No, but I'm about to restart since I'm dling it now on steam.

I found one when you go to get the blue crystal for the eyes ("restore my sight"). If you turn around in one of the alcoves there's a rectangular block. Found some mushrooms and a dagger.

So pumped. Wonder if my new rig can run it in 60FPS.

My old machine (9800GT, 4g RAM, 2.5 quad processor) is running it on full settings with 60fps steadily with zero drop.

bengraven

Sorry if I spoiled anything.

Also: seriously, how the fuck do you do magic?

Also: I wasn't too worried about Steam, but now I see there's cheevos and the whore in me started downloading immediately.

bengraven

Oh sweet, I can access my save game from the Humble download in the Steam version.

NO NEED TO RESTART IF YOU'RE SWITCHING TO STEAM PEOPLES.

bengraven

Do you need to move the save game or is it stored in My Documents so both versions access it?

It's in Documents I'm sure, or Steam searches for saved games. This happened with me and the Witcher 1 when I bought the Steam version - it found my standalone saves. I loaded up the Steam version and there was my save game from the one I DLed from the Humble page.

Think I'll just move my preorder goodies to steamapps/common and not worry too much about anything else.

Edit: yes, saves are in Documents. Just found them.

KarmaCow

Seriously, how do you do magic? lol

I keep fizzling out.

You should find scrolls that tell you the correct combination of symbols to use a spell. I was only playing to see how well the game ran and I stopped right after finding one, but it seemed to have a stat requirement.

Ledsen

I keep fizzling out.

First, you need to find a scroll that tells you what runes to use. The scroll also tells you what lvl your mage needs to be in a particular school of magic to cast the spell. Then right-click a mages hands, choose the right runes and press the big button.

Fitz

I keep fizzling out.

You'll find scroll early on that give you examples of what rune combinations cast certain spells, you also need specific levels of proficiency, ie Fire level 2 for example.

Same here, no explanation on how to use it.

I also put a rogue into my team, placed him at the back. Is he any good for anything other than throwing rocks?

Other than ranged weapons like bows/throwing knives, if you level up the dagger skill enough then that character can attack from the second row.

edit: awesome timing

tomedo

I keep fizzling out.

Click mage characters empty hand (or staff hand?), select rune (find scrolls for combinations and to learn the spell in the first place) and press the cast button. Not sure if there is some sort of shortcut.

stuminus3

You know that old school feeling when your characters are getting wiped out and you're surviving on a whiff of luck and think you're nearing the end of a section where you'll be able to exhale and get your team back up to normal strength then you open a door to what you think is going to be salvation but are faced with something that makes you say "aw, shit!" out loud instead?

Yeah, I was there. It didn't take long. Loving it.

bengraven

Thanks for the explanations. I only have one scroll which shows me the spell I have already been trying, but apparently you need to be lvl 2 in any kind of magic to do a spell? I'm lvl 1 in two kinds of magic and none of the runes are working.

I'm assuming all xp is shared?

bengraven

Ah, problem solved for now anyway - found a wand right before going to next lvl. :)

EDIT: nvm, I thought wands would work like any other weapon but they just focus your magic to make it stronger apparently. Dammit, she's leveling slow, too.

stuminus3

Re: the automap vs graph paper thing. Am I the only one who used to play these kinds of games back in the day without keeping any map at all? Looking back, I have no idea how that's even possible. I guess my young brain was just better at processing 3D space than it is now. Years of automaps and giant quest marker arrows have made me very soft.

Kyuur

Thanks for the explanations. I only have one scroll which shows me the spell I have already been trying, but apparently you need to be lvl 2 in any kind of magic to do a spell? I'm lvl 1 in two kinds of magic and none of the runes are working.

XP is shared, but it appears that characters in combat get more XP. So if you have a mage without any viable spells for a while it'll take a bit till they're useful. I have two mages that specialize in two types of magic each.

People who don't participate in combat only get half XP - I have one back row guy who has never attacked and has exactly half as much as the people in front, and another back row mage who has started contributing with her first spell and is somewhere in between.

So you may want to frantically drag people around so they can briefly attack in every fight. I don't know if they even have to hit.

Also it is convenient to just drag stuff into people's hands for temporary storage, no rummaging around in the pack every time you want to use a key or throw a thing.

I'm wondering if it's going to be worthwhile to take everyone down the armor path early to get the "no penalties for light/medium/heavy armor." Maybe while working on one combat skill at the same time.

lilltias

How do you resurrect your fallen comrades? Is it possible?

Damn this game is awesome. Playing this game..I sense something. Something I haven't felt since....

bengraven

Awesome, give a rogue a "reach" weapon like a spear and he can attack from the back row. So throwing stones and stabbing until I find a bow.

People who don't participate in combat only get half XP - I have one back row guy who has never attacked and has exactly half as much as the people in front, and another back row mage who has started contributing with her first spell and is somewhere in between.

So you may want to frantically drag people around so they can briefly attack in every fight. I don't know if they even have to hit.

Also it is convenient to just drag stuff into people's hands for temporary storage, no rummaging around in the pack every time you want to use a key or throw a thing.

I'm wondering if it's going to be worthwhile to take everyone down the armor path early to get the "no penalties for light/medium/heavy armor." Maybe while working on one combat skill at the same time.

I made the mistake of putting my initial 4 skill points evenly across the board. So now I have no spells and she's basically my food bag until she levels up.

NIN90

Step 1: Spent forever creating a party
Step 2: Forget naming members
Step 3: ??????
Step 4: New Prisoner learned a new spell!

This game is fantastic.

Also, if you're playing windowed, don't click out of the game without hitting escape first. My Mage found out the hard way why that's a bad idea.

Top Bottom