• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

Hoo-doo

Banned
Genuinely enjoying this game so far.
Interesting puzzles, hidden chambers, traps everywhere, fucking awesome.
Two fighters in the front, and a rogue with a spear, and a mage with a staff in the back.

I have just started making potions and casting some more interesting spells, too.

ExReey

I’m still not sure whether to buy this game on Steam or GoG..

Achievements vs no DRM … why can’t I have both?

eXistor

Fuck yeah, I've missed this kind of game! Just cleared the first 2 floors. The atmosphere is pretty awesome, the difficulty seems just right and the puzzles so far are very fun to figure out (very easy so far, but I expect this'll change later on). I wonder what they have planned for the future though, seeing as you can choose what dungeon you want to play (only Grimrock is selectable now).

Hawk SE

This game is amazing. I received a Review copy and have yet to write the review. It is so fantastic and open to trial and error in some hilarious ways.

Minsc

Gold Member
Gameplay is nice and fast and the mouse look is a nice touch! Little elements like dragging the party arrangement around are neat too. Only played a little bit with the default party to see how it works, now it's time to create a custom party.

Looks like you can use spells whether you've seen the scroll or not. That's good.

Yes, they commented before that people will be able to figure out their own spells after a while, sounded neat. People will probably just look them up on the internet though (however I guess you still need to meet the ability requirements).

Made it to second level, getting used to the mechanics, just got to remember to right click and not left click. Seems like a good game. I can see how the controls can make the fights more suspenseful, as in back-up, back-up, backup! Magic!

bengraven

Damn, almost done with lvl 2, but a bit stuck. Got a gate with a shroom monster on one side, but no switch. Portal behind me. hm.

Is it just me that leads monsters to a door, hits them for a bit, pulls the gate shut, rests, and repeats?

Very clever.

Tried it for a couple of hours, my eyes are still burning from the awesome, looks stunning, and interesting puzzles so far.

DagsJT said:
Is it just me that leads monsters to a door, hits them for a bit, pulls the gate shut, rests, and repeats?

Hey, that´s my trick!

Damn this game is great. I forgot how much I loved these old school dungeon crawlers.

About an hour in and I'm already stumped on one of the puzzles. Gotta take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective.

bengraven

Yes, they commented before that people will be able to figure out their own spells after a while, sounded neat. People will probably just look them up on the internet though (however I guess you still need to meet the ability requirements).

I'm thinking they want us to write them down, too. I might do that instead of hoarding them.

I'm already hoarding torches and food.

Also just realized you can make notes on the map!

But you can't delete your note...?

Hawk SE

Sure, you can do that - it's about outsmarting the enemy. I lured a group of snails to a trap door. I got no XP for it, but damn if I didn't laugh and enjoy dispatching them in a unique way.

The game is about survival, there are no rules to winning.

bengraven

Oh, little "brick chip" I missed.

Wish there were a few more moveable bricks. It's a bit too easy to find those brick buttons. A few more styles of them just to trip you up a bit.

No complaints, though, game is fantastic. Anyone know how many floors there are?

Kyuur

Alright, got stuck for the first time. Can someone help? I'm on the third floor.

I'm at the room with the changing teleporting clouds that go counter clockwise around a pit. I found a switch to close the pits and let me hit a switch over the second one in the previous room, but it doesn't seem to do anything!

Thanks!

Edit:
Nevermind, found the pressure plate.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Alright, got stuck for the first time. Can someone help? I'm on the third floor.

I'm at the room with the changing teleporting clouds that go counter clockwise around a pit. I found a switch to close the pits and let me hit a switch over the second one in the previous room, but it doesn't seem to do anything!

Thanks!

Edit:
Nevermind, found the pressure plate.

Heh, I just got past that one.
Sweet sword ahead

bengraven

I love how we get stuck, post an issue, then immediately find the answer.

Says a lot about this game.

Is there going to be modding tools?

epmode

Weird, I'm unable to choose the top and bottom menu options with a mouse. Moving the highlighted option with the keyboard and pressing Enter works fine though.

edit: Works fine in lower resolutions. But 2560x1600 doesn't.

Help me Gaf do I play on Normal or Hard? I like a challenge and I'm going old school mode but I want to know from people who like this style of game is hard cheap or appropriately difficult?

Philia

Um I'm feeling really retarded here but I'm still on floor 1 and I'm stuck with this puzzle with a gate and two floor pads in between. Its really annoying. Am I supposed to wait on a snail to come over and step on it? I do not want to restart again.

I tried leaving a stone on there (first floor pad) but that didn't work either.

DJ_Lae

Fantastic game so far, love the title music in particular. Played an hour and a half of it and then switched over to my laptop to game in the other room...

Doesn't support Cloud. Boo.

KarmaCow

Um I'm feeling really retarded here but I'm still on floor 1 and I'm stuck with this puzzle with a gate and two floor pads in between. Its really annoying. Am I supposed to wait on a snail to come over and step on it? I do not want to restart again.

I tried leaving a stone on there (first floor pad) but that didn't work either.

There is a switch in the room.

DJ_Lae

Put something on both plates to weigh them down as you enter the little side passage, as that'll prevent you from triggering one of the pads and closing the door in your face over and over (look for a hidden button in the wall to open it again).

Minsc

Gold Member
Also just realized you can make notes on the map!

But you can't delete your note...?

The map actually tells you that, but you probably figured it out by now, right-clicking on a note to delete it.

Is there going to be modding tools?

Dunno about modding tools for creating monsters/items/etc, but there will be a map-editor if that's what you meant, which they said they will likely release in a basic form and they'll get feedback and add in advanced scripting and other features based on the feedback, rather than make you wait for it all to get implemented before releasing anything.

Help me Gaf do I play on Normal or Hard? I like a challenge and I'm going old school mode but I want to know from people who like this style of game is hard cheap or appropriately difficult?

They seem to put a lot of care in to not making it a cakewalk from what I read, so I don't think hard will be cheap, just really, really hard. A developer on their forums said:

"It's perfectly ok to play on Easy. My better half is playing Grimrock on Easy and she's really enjoying it, which is very nice because she doesn't play RPGs at all. Note that Easy is more challenging than Normal difficulty in your average modern game."

You can't switch though, which they said is intentional. Hard probably is pretty challenging I'd guess, and if you get frustrated at dying due to a poor party build you're probably better off on medium.

Clydefrog

I have the game downloading but I have to take my car to the shop after work and then I have to watch playoff hockey! BUT GRIMROCK!

Gloam

Got a little of the way into the dungeon then a
tree guy
killed me while I was sleeping. Must do better. Also the map that I'm making really looks a mess, think skipping on those technical drawing classes back in school is finally taking its toll.

Varna

Custom portraits soon please... I really liked rolling with the same portraits in every single game that allowed me to do it.

Put something on both plates to weigh them down as you enter the little side passage, as that'll prevent you from triggering one of the pads and closing the door in your face over and over (look for a hidden button in the wall to open it again).

Son of a bitch.

Restarting.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Son of a bitch.

Restarting.

No need to restart, just go back.

a. I wish the game paused while juggling inventory. With realtime combat I miss a bunch of attacks while I'm juggling the inventory because somebody ran out of arrows, shuriken, etc. While this might be there to "add challenge" all it is really going to do is make me stop using throwing/missile weapons. Add a quiver while you're at it, that way at least I'd be able to have a reach weapon in hand for when I run out of arrows. I'm just going to make a new party with 4 fighter or 2 fighter/2 rogue and give the back reach weapons/skills. That way it is just 4 clicks per attack round. Only time I'll have to go into inven is for potions.

b. I wish it didn't take a minimum of 3 mouseclicks to cast a spell. The rune table is fine for learning new spells but doing it every single time to cast a spell is needlessly cumbersome.

Outside of some needlessly cumbersome interface mechanics---even worse than the games it is an homage to---the game has been decent down to level 4.

KarmaCow

Son of a bitch.

Restarting.

Uh you don't need to restart
as long as you have something to weigh down a panel. The panel on the other side of the cell opens the door while the inner one closes it, so you only need to keep the inner panel weighed down when you press the switch.

Uh you don't need to restart
as long as you have something to weigh down a panel. The panel on the other side of the cell opens the door while the inner one closes it, so you only need to keep the inner panel weighed down when you press the switch.

Yeah, exactly.

My current run, I am not playing as a hoarder.

B-Dex

Made it to the 2nd floor! Having so much fun right now. Rolling with a Human Fighter, Female Minotaur Fighter, Lizardman Rogue and an Insect mage.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Maybe another useful tip: Containers like sacks, crates or boxes can be kept in your inventory for extra bag space. I'm not sure if it lets you go beyond your carrying weight though.

Top Bottom