• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

I've never played any of the old school pc dungeon crawlers but I did play that Genesis dungeon crawler Shining in the Darkness and really enjoyed that. Is this similar? Should I buy this?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is just stunning on a big tv.

B-Dex

I'm pretty new to dungeon crawlers...would a new person like me be able to handle such a game?

YES! It is a highly refined take on old-school dungeon crawlers. The only oddity I found was having to right-click for attacking but once you get that down everything else just works.

Inventory is a breeze, actually the whole game is amazing. If you have any interest at all get it!

G-Fex

YES! It is a highly refined take on old-school dungeon crawlers. The only oddity I found was having to right-click for attacking but once you get that down everything else just works.

Inventory is a breeze, actually the whole game is amazing. If you have any interest at all get it!

I do have interest, big interest.

Thank you B-Dex

spirity

Can't use the 360 pad with this? I know its meant to be an old skool dungeon crawler, but I'd like to play this on my tv.

That aside, I'm really loving this. Who needs ragdoll physics and asplosions out the wazoo when they die - just a lovely shower of sparks thats equally rewarding. Nice.

Xander51

I strongly dislike the spiders for all the right reasons.

Spirity, no, you can't use the 360 pad. The interface is not set up for it whatsoever.

bengraven

How many torches do you think I shoiuld be hoarding? Because I'm taking almost every single one. I've worn out 4 or 5 so far, so maybe I should just keep half a dozen on hand and stash some in well lit areas of the map I'm on.

Pro-tip: There's stuff in pits.

Yeah, the ones I've found (aka fell in because I'm a moron) were actually on a lower floor. So basically by falling into a pit you get some items from the next level early.

Dunno about modding tools for creating monsters/items/etc, but there will be a map-editor if that's what you meant, which they said they will likely release in a basic form and they'll get feedback and add in advanced scripting and other features based on the feedback, rather than make you wait for it all to get implemented before releasing anything.

I don't want to fuck with the game at all, it's fantastically designed and looks and runs beautiful.

I'm just thinking how much fun it would be to add all the Elder Scrolls races to it so I can pretend I'm playing a 20 year late Arena expansion pack. lol

Xander51

How many torches do you think I shoiuld be hoarding? Because I'm taking almost every single one. I've worn out 4 or 5 so far, so maybe I should just keep half a dozen on hand and stash some in well lit areas of the map I'm on.

All of the torches. You will need them for puzzles sometimes. Designate one party member as a torch hoarder, and save containers when you get them to fill with more torches.

kafiend

So, I'm standing outside a door with a chain, I pull the chain - the door opens - I see whats inside, think "OH shit!" and yank the chain again as fast as I can.

I lol'd because I imagined everyone else here doing the same on the exact same door :)

thefil

Does anybody know how many floors there are?

I am a little messed up, I don't like to use guides or anything but I have an obsessive need to be able to gauge how far I am in a game.

nickcv

i've been playing for no more then 30 minutes, and i'm loving it!

tomorrow i'll dig deep into the dungeon.

it's nice seeing that everything from the review videos was mostly about the first floor, and to avoid more spoilers i think i'll stay away from this thread.

see you guys as soon as i finish this masterpiece :p

Drakken

As someone who never played these games growing up, the whole charting the map out on graph paper thing doesn't hold any nostalgic value to me. I can see why people would do it, but wouldn't that be kind of a distraction from the game? Having to constantly look down and draw more of the map instead of just being able to play it, I mean? Trying to decide whether I should try it or just go with the auto-map.

I should be finishing ME3 tonight, so I'll probably start this over the weekend. Really looking forward to it. :)

Just spent an hour on my party.

Gunnlaugr Yngvarr, a male Human fighter.
Megedagik Catahecassa, a male Minotaur fighter.
Hajnal Szilvay, a female Human rogue.
Kasum El Kadash, a male Human mage.

So fucking psyched right now.

As someone who never played these games growing up, the whole charting the map out on graph paper thing doesn't hold any nostalgic value to me. I can see why people would do it, but wouldn't that be kind of a distraction from the game? Having to constantly look down and draw more of the map instead of just being able to play it, I mean?

I should finish ME3 tonight, so I'll probably be starting this later this week. Really looking forward to it. :)

They usually weren't real time. If its turned based its ok to draw a map. Now you can be drawing a map and bam, random monster attacking you.

What the fuck? My "Legend of Grimrock" pre-order didn't update, and when I go to the store page, it says I already own it, but I can't download the game!

Trying to put my key into steam again just tells me that the pre-order isn't available! What the fuck.

They usually weren't real time. If its turned based its ok to draw a map. Now you can be drawing a map and bam, random monster attacking you.

There was an older set of games that featured pretty much exactly the combat from Grimrock the Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore games for instance.

nickcv

What the fuck? My "Legend of Grimrock" pre-order didn't update, and when I go to the store page, it says I already own it, but I can't download the game!

Trying to put my key into steam again just tells me that the pre-order isn't available! What the fuck.

i had to reboot steam to make it work... try that one.

Eusis

Did you try shutting down Steam entirely than reloading? I kept it off partially for that while playing the DRM-free version.

duckroll

Restart Steam.

bengraven

There was an older set of games that featured pretty much exactly the combat from Grimrock the Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore games for instance.

Yeah, this is my first real dip into a game like this, so I think I've got a lot of games to go back and try out.

At first I was disappointed there weren't any towns or shops like a typical RPG, but the idea of survival overcome that and now I don't fucking care.

Game is so awesome. I haven't played in two hours (nearly done with lvl 2) and I'm fiending to play, but the sig other won't let me. lol

This looks really cool. Never heard of it before nor I have I really played a dungeon crawler like it before, but it's straight on Steam wish list ready for the Summer sale.

(Yeah, I know it's dirt cheap already and probably worth the tenner!)

bengraven

Bought! Need to support a dev like this. Considering how much I love Etrian Odyssey I think I'll love this too.

Ha, funny you mention it.

I was just talking to a friend of my wife's and mentioned this game and she was like "ugh, I don't like AMERICAN RPGS because they're so boring and ugly. Americans don't know how to make RPGs". I was like "oh yeah, what do you play?" "Final Fantasy, Tales, ETRIAN ODYSSEY..."

I laughed. Then did a nerdy whine as I tried to talk her into Grimrock by comparing it to Etrian.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
One puzzle on floor 4 has me completely baffled, gotta take a break and let my subconscious mull this one over a bit.

flowsnake

That one room has made me realize how much harder this is going to get when the game throws multiple independent enemies at me at once in an open room on a regular basis (I can only assume this will happen). :(

If this had controller support I'd buy it right now without hesitation.

Hell, I might just buy it anyway for those rare occasions I game at my desk, and the fact that I love that we're seeing new games in this mold.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So the third floor
the golden key slot and door right near the stairwell down? Wheres the key? Further down?
I hate knowing I'm leaving shit behind.

I totally need this game, but it's going to have to wait for summer or when I'm done with Graces and Xenoblade.

In the meantime, I will be eying impressions and salivating.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Really happy to see you can make notes on the in-game map.

Also it's cool how you get your thrown weapons back off an enemy after you've killed it.

Yeah getting your weapons back automatically is a nice touch. I have to remember to move around and not stand still like it's a turn based game.

Top Bottom