• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

Man, I think I shit the bed on my stats. I minmaxed my fighters Strength and Vit all the way, but now I'm constantly missing shit because I didn't put a single point into dex. Hrmmm...

Tokubetsu

Man, I think I shit the bed on my stats. I minmaxed my fighters Strength and Vit all the way, but now I'm constantly missing shit because I didn't put a single point into dex. Hrmmm...

Haha YES! I just started but on the safe side, I decided to at least get my fighters dex out of the negatives. Looking like I made the right call. #swerve

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea I almost maxed str/vit and at the last second saw that my accuracy was in the negatives so I fixed it up.

nickcv

Haha YES! I just started but on the safe side, I decided to at least get my fighters dex out of the negatives. Looking like I made the right call. #swerve

i did the same, but still my minotaur misses a lot more then what i'd like...

i can't wait for tomorrow to play it again... and while i don't want any kind of spoiler it's hard not reading anything related to the game...
it's been a while since I felt this way for any game...

edit:
sinitar seems like we totally share interest for the same genres XD

bengraven

My minotaur and human fighters have very similar gear but my minotaur has -10 evasion and my human fighter has like 6. ha

So, I'm standing outside a door with a chain, I pull the chain - the door opens - I see whats inside, think "OH shit!" and yank the chain again as fast as I can.

I lol'd because I imagined everyone else here doing the same on the exact same door :)

If you're talking about the 3rd floor, yeah......I did the same thing.

Ruuppa

http://www.abload.de/img/grimrock2012-04-1118-8nb87.jpg

Anyone on the 4th floor (or past) wanna throw me a hint on this? I'm hard stumped on it.

EDIT: Oh wait... I just had an idea.

EDIT 2: Ok commence hint giving. Argh my brain.
Stand on the plate until you hear the third chime, wait a second and throw a rock. With any luck, it'll go through the teleport that appears for a split second. You can also get a goodie by using that teleport yourself later.

Anyone found out a way to get to the platemail(?) behind a locked grate on the 5th level(accessed by a pit from the 4th level)?

Sinatar

Stand on the plate until you hear the third chime, wait a second and throw a rock. With any luck, it'll go through the teleport that appears for a split second. You can also get a goodie by using that teleport yourself later.

Anyone found out a way to get to the platemail(?) behind a locked grate on the 4th level(accessed by a pit from the 3rd level)?

I've done that, the rock goes way too far and doesn't land on the plate on the other side. If I weigh the plate down a toss a rock from a distance it goes into the teleporter and just vanishes.

I wonder if I'm bugged or something.

My rocks end up here: http://www.abload.de/img/grimrock2012-04-1119-37zeb.jpg

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Anyone else feel compelled to drop down every pit? I'm always wondering if something good will be down there.

Ruuppa

I've done that, the rock goes way too far and doesn't land on the plate on the other side. If I weigh the plate down a toss a rock from a distance it goes into the teleporter and just vanishes.

I wonder if I'm bugged or something.

My rocks end up here: http://www.abload.de/img/grimrock2012-04-1119-37zeb.jpg
Maybe the thrower's strength affects how far the rock flies? I threw it with my warrior, and nailed the pressure plate perfectly. I think you can use throwing knives too, so you should try those.
Anyone else feel compelled to drop down every pit? I'm always wondering if something good will be down there.
Do it, there's usually good loot down in the pits. Just heal up before trying, since the drop does about 20 to 30 damage, and there might be enemies down there.

Sinatar

Maybe the thrower's strength affects how far the rock flies? I threw it with my warrior, and nailed the pressure plate perfectly. I think you can use throwing knives too, so you should try those.

Do it, there's usually good loot down in the pits. Just heal up before trying, since the drop does about 20 to 30 damage, and there might be enemies down there.

Oh for crying... You have to equip the rock and throw it that way, if you just pick it up from your inventory and toss it it doesn't go far enough.

Almost 3 hours stuck over that. Grrr.

Cheech

This is fantastic. Played for a few hours tonight. Got stuck on a puzzle, quit the game, then figured it out before I shut my PC down. Firing it back up before I forget the (probable) solution! I missed games like this.

Atomski

Feel really dumb for asking this.. how the hell do I attack? I have a weapon equipped but clicked on the enemies doesn't seem to do anything.

bengraven

Feel really dumb for asking this.. how the hell do I attack? I have a weapon equipped but clicked on the enemies doesn't seem to do anything.

Right click the item/weapon/spell/etc on under your character portrait.

You can click on anyone's and there's a little cool down.

Finished 1th and 2nd level on normal. The game is amazing. Is exactly like old Eye of Beholder and other SSI games.

I'm slightly dissapointed about the lack of races-classes. It seems very barebones. The races are too extreme. A very focused mage one, a very focused warrior one, a very focused rogue one and human of average-on-everything. It lack some middle-terms, some classes with minor special skills, giving more variety. Also, the races lack any kind of charisma (and the few portraits don't help).

Also, classes are too much focused. There is a single caster (that make any kind of magic) and the other classes are not able to cast anything. Maybe a more "clerical-like" class, like a warrior able to support a few support cast (making from cleric to paladin classes), and a rogue-warrior (with dual wield skills, but less variety of weapons or armor).

But those are the only complains (and I hope that later that thing can be fixed with mods), the game is pure old-school, but adapted to the new times. No random attribute points, the skill system is great, the puzzles are amazing and I love the use of torches.

The game is great, but I'm more hyped by the engine and the next modifications (for example, with new game the only dungeon avaliable is Grimrock, but there is a selector to choose from other official dungeons and user-made ones) than the game itself.

AqPNu47CIAADGYU.jpg

Woo-Fu

Banned
I keep having to restart my maps cause I'm running into the border on the graph paper. This sucks. :(

Yes, graphing it out yourself does suck. That is why when automapping became a feature fans of the genre rejoiced and why people who don't use automap when it is built-in fit under my definition of "crazy people."

It is kind of cool in Etrian Odyssey because the graphing tools are built into the game and the game is turn-based.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Dangerous Dave said:
The game is great, but I'm more hyped by the engine and the next modifications (for example, with new game the only dungeon avaliable is Grimrock, but there is a selector to choose from other official dungeons and user-made ones) than the game itself.

Same here. I hope to see some good user content for that. Although there hasnt been a mod kit released or anything, right?

Bought! Need to support a dev like this. Considering how much I love Etrian Odyssey I think I'll love this too.

Worked for me! No Yuzo, but the ambience is suitably ominous.

I think I gimped my mage? I think? Boosting the +damage talent without boosting +Ice school but 1 point probably wasn't too smart.

Sinatar

Yes, graphing it out yourself does suck. That is why when automapping became a feature fans of the genre rejoiced and why people who don't use automap when it is built-in fit under my definition of "crazy people."

It is kind of cool in Etrian Odyssey because the graphing tools are built into the game and the game is turn-based.

This. I played through both eras, there is no nostalgia for graph mapping, automaps were the greatest thing ever. I took Cartography in Might & Magic II with righteous god damned fury.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I was on the fence about this game, but for that much money...meh...

It can get kind of claustrophobic and I do find I have a bit of a headache now, but so far I like what I played.

Similar complaints all around. Just a lack of classes and variety in characters. It wouldn't hurt to have a bit of voice yelling out during an attack either. Kind of wish there was an option for it to have you take turns instead of real time combat though...hate having to quickly go to inventory to move potions around while trying not to die.

Kind of wish there was an option for it to have you take turns instead of real time combat though...hate having to quickly go to inventory to move potions around while trying not to die.

Not turns on movement (you won't be able to move fast to backstab), but clearly the constant real-time affects negatively the mages (maybe a hotbar where to put some prebuilt spells could help) and also the rogues when they try to use missile or thrown objects (maybe some ammo slots would help), because when you have ony a few ammo-items of each kind, you'll end with your rogue empty-handed after a few seconds, and moving the items of the inventory is time that you can spend doing more attacks with the rest of the party. I started specializing my rogue with arrows, but now I'm using melee weapons from back, because you can do much more attacks.

BTW, I realised that when you fall into a pit,
into that room of L4 that you appear there are the enemies that you made fell on pits. First I found 2 snails and I didn't give any importance, but I loaded the game and later I faced some skeletons in a room with a pit, and I throw 2 of them. Later I fell into a pit and there were the 2 snails, and also the 2 skeletons, and I realise that it was the people that you were making fall into the pits

Songbird

Prodigal Son
It's finally downloaded! I'll spend some time with the game and update the OP looking at what's been posted so far.

This. I played through both eras, there is no nostalgia for graph mapping, automaps were the greatest thing ever. I took Cartography in Might & Magic II with righteous god damned fury.

After playing EO, I can't imagine playing a DC without customizing maps; but so far, in the 2nd floor, it's very bare bones. In those, respawning FOEs, bosses, passages and doors with specific entry requirements, and gathering spots damn near necessitated sturdy mapmaking skill. I know of hte teleporters, so maybe they're going easy on us early. heh.

Not turns on movement (you won't be able to move fast to backstab), but clearly the constant real-time affects negatively the mages (maybe a hotbar where to put some prebuilt spells could help) and also the rogues when they try to use missile or thrown objects (maybe some ammo slots would help), because when you have ony a few ammo-items of each kind, you'll end with your rogue empty-handed after a few seconds, and moving the items of the inventory is time that you can spend doing more attacks with the rest of the party. I started specializing my rogue with arrows, but now I'm using melee weapons from back, because you can do much more attacks.

Yeah, I gave throwing daggers to the rogue as an openner, then a spear for some backup DPS. Working ok so far.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
BTW, I realised that when you fall into a pit,
into that room of L4 that you appear there are the enemies that you made fell on pits. First I found 2 snails and I didn't give any importance, but I loaded the game and later I faced some skeletons in a room with a pit, and I throw 2 of them. Later I fell into a pit and there were the 2 snails, and also the 2 skeletons, and I realise that it was the people that you were making fall into the pits

Now that is a neat touch.

I'm totally stuck on level 3

There's a door that requires two keys. I found one in that spider egg area, but can't find the other. I'm thinking about going upstairs to see if there's something linked to the "I demand a sacrifice" part. And when I drop into pits, I see a button and pressure plate that don't seem to do anything.

Bento

Grrr! Been trying to snag the Tome of Health on Floor 4 with no success.
I believe the button to open the door is at the intersection where all the sub "levels" meet, there's a switch there in one of the corners. Has anyone been able to reach and press that button somehow? Been going through all of them with no success :(

rSpooky

Had an awesome few hours so far with that game. I am down to the third floor, probably screwing up the stats though, nevr been good at that part of rpg's.
Ran out of rocks a few times, but used torches and other items instead.

Fun times for a great price

When I found the first
pack of 4 spear men
I almost quit the game. That whole area is a giant shit fest, you quickly learn that enemies will pop out behind you. But I pressed on to the 3rd floor! lol

Sinatar

After playing EO, I can't imagine playing a DC without customizing maps; but so far, in the 2nd floor, it's very bare bones. In those, respawning FOEs, bosses, passages and doors with specific entry requirements, and gathering spots damn near necessitated sturdy mapmaking skill. I know of hte teleporters, so maybe they're going easy on us early. heh.

Etrian Oddyssey does 90% of the work for you by highlighting the areas you've been and providing the grid. You just have to draw some lines, it's not comparable to hand mapping with grid paper.

HoosTrax

I gave out a bit of a scream when I encountered the first spearman.

:(
Ok phew, I feel less silly to know that I'm not the only finding the game a bit spooky. I had a visceral, revolted reaction the first time I encountered one of those crowverns when it lunged at my face with its nasty, plucked naked body.

"oh god wtf gah get awayyy"

Don't worry, I couldn't figure it out at first either. I looked through the in-game tutorial to no avail and only managed to figure it out through trial and error.

Card Boy

Banned
Awesome game just hit Floor 3.

I got 2 fighters in the front row (1 pure STR/VIT tank, and one Hybrid), alsoo 1 mage and 1 thief in the back row. I should of gotten something else instead of the thief.

Every title i move i am always looking at walls for secret rumble you can push lol.

scy

I am immensely bothered by how long it took me to figure out how to get one of the items on the second floor:
the Poison Arrows in the cell; I totally thought I checked that wall, damn it!

Game is doing a tremendous job of making me pause to go over the scenery and clicking rocks like crazy :x

I think the HUD in the game looks better now than the original, but I spend more time looking at portraits waiting for cooldowns to end than actually looking at the enemies. I wonder if they made attack hotkeys would it ruin the balance of the game.

HoosTrax

I think the HUD in the game looks better now than the original, but I spend more time looking at portraits waiting for cooldowns to end than actually looking at the enemies. I wonder if they made attack hotkeys would it ruin the balance of the game.
I feel the exact same way, re: spending most of my time staring at the character portraits, and how nice it'd be to have hotkeys.

Maedhros

Did anyone found the treasure on the second floor?

Wow, I died on the third floor, without saving, so I got spammed back to second floor. Then, while I was walking, I saw this button that I didn't have seen before. I've got
a golden cup/chalice

Kinda mad I bought it on preorder at full price and it launches at a discount on Steam.

Is Valve at least going to honor the discount for those that preordered?

Etrian Oddyssey does 90% of the work for you by highlighting the areas you've been and providing the grind. You just have to draw some lines, it's not comparable to hand mapping with grid paper.

This. I restarted with auto-map on. It's already a lot more fun.

Top Bottom