• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ghostmind

FBTB Star Wars report

http://www.fbtb.net/2013/01/22/uk-toy-fair-2013-star-wars/

75015 Corporate Alliance Tank Droid … this is rather similar to the 7748 set from 2009, in terms of the build, but the figure selection this time is different, as we get 3 figures with a Clone Trooper and Battle Droid and a whole new Jango Fett figure. This was on display and it looked brilliant. Price point £19.99.

75016 Homing Spider Droid … again, similar to 7681 from 2008, although it’s somewhat bigger all round and comes with a smaller spider droid. The figures supplied are a Clone Trooper, 2 Super Battle Droids and a new figure, called “Adi Galia” in the dealer catalogue I have, although my voice recording seems to mention a “Stass Allie”. Price point £29.99.

750017 Duel On Geonosis (or the prelim title Yoda vs Dooku) … this is a playset to recreate the fight between Dooku and Yoda from Episode II … you’ve got various bits of scenery, including all the stuff that Dooku used to try and squash the Jedi. The Dooku and Yoda figures are both new, with the former being film style (looking like Christopher Lee) and the latter featuring a new sculpt and painting for the head. You also get a new Pilot Droid and a new figure for Poggle The Lesser. This looked like a good little playset. Price point £39.99.

75018 Jeks-14 Stealth Starfighter … a set which appears to be from the Yoda Chronicles, I believe … and whilst the ship was on display, none of the minifigures were present. The ship itself is a black & red starfighter, looking a little like a beefy version of the Z95 Headhunter (at least to me). The figures are listed as Jek-14, Separatist Bounty Hunter, Special Forces Clone Trooper and a droid called R4-G0. Price point £59.99.

75019 AT-TE … this set was right in the corner, so I couldn’t get a good look at it, but it looked pretty much the same as 7675 from 2008. The rep we spoke to said that all the re-booted sets have had tweaks and updates, so you never know. It does come with a raft of new figures though, including new versions of Mace Windu, a new minifig entirely called for Coleman Trebor (who is on screen in Ep II for about 30 seconds before dying!), a new Clone Trooper Gunner figure and a couple of standard Battle Droids. Price point £79.99.

75020 Jabba’s Sailbarge … this set was present and quite near the front, so I could have a good look, although some parts looked a little preliminary (the sails, for example). The sailbarge itself is smaller than 6210 from 2006, which is a shame, but the figures are a step up. Jabba is the same as the Jabba’s Palace set from last year, but we also get a Max Rebo figure (although this wasn’t at the Toy Fair), a new Weequay figure, a new Ree-Yees figure and a new print for Princess Leia in the gold bikini. You’ll also get R2 in his drinks server guise. Like the last model, the sides of the Sailbarge open up and in the rear of the ship is the section where you’ll find Max Rebo’s “piano”. Price point £99.99.

75021 Republic Gunship … looked quite similar to 7676 from 2008, with a few tweaks, most obvious being the pilot canopies being different. Figure-wise, you’re getting a new Obi-Wan, a new Anakin, a new Clone Pilot, a new Padme Amidala (complete with battle torn white outfit across the midriff), a new Clone Trooper Officer and 2 Super Battle Droids. Price point £109.99.

75022 Mandalorian Speeder … a fairly forgettable speeder, if you ask me … I was too busy looking at the picture of the Darth Maul figure that will come with the set (the figure itself wasn’t at the Toy Fair) as it’s Darth Maul in his resurrected guise with robotic legs. It looked a bit weird, but time will tell I guess, when pictures come from the other Toy Fairs later. You also get 2 new Mandalorian Super Commandos. Price point £24.99.

75023 Star Wars Advent Calendar … Another good set of minis and various minifigures, but the stand outs were a
Santa Jango Fett
. You also get a
Young Boba Fett
, which hasn’t been seen since
in 2002!! Looked good … I didn’t note down the price point of this one, but assume it’s the same as 2012, at £24.99.

Sounds like an amazing line-up, especially if you like Episode 2. However it is unfortunate about the Sail Barge being smaller.

Was the Harry Potter line really unsuccessful? Feels like there was so much more they could have done. Especially a Hogwarts that wasn't a playset. I get bitter everytime I see all the Star Wars sets.

We need more Old Republic ships, those things were soooo good.

THIS.

75020 Jabba’s Sailbarge … this set was present and quite near the front, so I could have a good look, although some parts looked a little preliminary (the sails, for example). The sailbarge itself is smaller than 6210 from 2006, which is a shame, but the figures are a step up. Jabba is the same as the Jabba’s Palace set from last year, but we also get a Max Rebo figure (although this wasn’t at the Toy Fair), a new Weequay figure, a new Ree-Yees figure and a new print for Princess Leia in the gold bikini. You’ll also get R2 in his drinks server guise. Like the last model, the sides of the Sailbarge open up and in the rear of the ship is the section where you’ll find Max Rebo’s “piano”. Price point £99.99.

This the only set that interests me... and barely at that. Any news on the second wave of Galaxy Squad?

That price point actually lowers my hope of it being good. $99 is on the low end and if I recall, the previous Jabba's Sail Barge had a higher price tag on it. Really disappointed now.

The way that theme is going it will probably be 290 pieces.

The kicker? An exclusive R2 with a flick-missile light saber.

ghostmind

Was the Harry Potter line really unsuccessful? Feels like there was so much more they could have done. Especially a Hogwarts that wasn't a playset. I get bitter everytime I see all the Star Wars sets.

LEGO HP ran for 10 years, and as far as I know was quite successful, but there is nothing out now to keep it going, whereas Star Wars has the 3D re-releases of Ep2 and Ep3 this year, as well as the ongoing Clone Wars TV show, and the upcoming Ep7 - 9 movie trilogy.

We need more Old Republic ships, those things were soooo good.

Agreed, I got my Fury yesterday and built it and it's just beautiful. Looks better in person than pictures really. The wing design on it is also outstanding and one of my favorite parts of any build I've done so far. I don't know if I'll bother with the Strike as it seems a bit small for it's cost though.

I'd give anything for the Ebon Hawk from KOTOR1 and 2, such a cool freighter and better than the one the Smugger gets in SWTOR. My favorite ship in SWTOR (probably because it's the one my main used when I still played) would be the X-70B Phantom (Imperial Agent ship) which I'd also love a LEGO model of, but I'm curious how it'd turn out considering how smooth and silver the ship is.

I also got the Fire Brigade along with the Fury yesterday. I didn't mean to but I ended up building all of the first manual (truck and first floor) since I just can't stop partway through! I wasn't planning on doing the second manual until this weekend but now I'm getting that itch...

Kryten

On my last trip to the USA I picked up the first Lego Master Builder Academy (MBA) kit for my oldest kid and we opened it today. It's really impressive and I think it'd be a fantastic buy for anyone with a kid who is into Lego who wants to break out from just following the instructions. He's still a little young (he's 6) and impatient but I was able to work on the first model with him and explain some of the more detailed parts that the book was teaching to him as we went along.

Sadly, it seems Lego have stuffed with the MBA program a little bit, but I'm still thinking about importing the next set of MBA kits for his birthday.

MBA2.jpg

MBA1.jpg

LEGO HP ran for 10 years, and as far as I know was quite successful, but there is nothing out now to keep it going, whereas Star Wars has the 3D re-releases of Ep2 and Ep3 this year, as well as the ongoing Clone Wars TV show, and the upcoming Ep7 - 9 movie trilogy.

That makes sense with SW having something to keep it going. Those early HP sets are so bad. No creativity.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
FBTB Star Wars report

750017 Duel On Geonosis (or the prelim title Yoda vs Dooku) … this is a playset to recreate the fight between Dooku and Yoda from Episode II … you’ve got various bits of scenery, including all the stuff that Dooku used to try and squash the Jedi. The Dooku and Yoda figures are both new, with the former being film style (looking like Christopher Lee) and the latter featuring a new sculpt and painting for the head. You also get a new Pilot Droid and a new figure for Poggle The Lesser. This looked like a good little playset. Price point £39.99.

New Yoda that's not Clone Wars Yoda? Good!

Old Yoda really needed an update.

We are getting the Jedi Defender-Class Cruiser this summer, but it is a store exclusive, so it won't be at the Toy Fair.

That sounds good...I hope it's as detailed as the other ones...I still have my Sith ship built...it's too hard to take it apart because it looks so cool.

golem

More Old Republic sets would be awesome.. HK-47 come to me.

Also too bad the new Sail Barge is smaller than the old. $99 seems a bit steep.. I guess if its kinda cool I might pick it up and try to combine it with my 6210

Draxal

The Sith Fury interceptor is such an amazing set. Great minifigs and the detail, plus the precision of the build is just fun.

I'm just hoping the Jedi Defender set comes with Ven Zallow the cover boy of the Old Republic
Who you actually never see in the game as he's killed in a cinematic during this time period

I have that (new set stuff from top-of-page quote)
young Boba
from the set they mentioned about the advent calendar.

I still don't like how the little legs can't move.

ghostmind

Brickset report part 3

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=5562

Castle
70400 Forest ambush, £8: Two knights pulling a cart loaded with gold being ambushed by 2 baddies from behind a tree
70401 Horse carriage getaway, £18: red/black carriage being pulled by a single black horse, a small chunk of castle, two knights and a crossbow cart.
70402 Gatehouse raid, £25: A section of castle wall with a gate in it, two knights guarding it, a black/red catapult and two baddies, one on horseback.
70403 Dragon peak, £35: Damsel imprisoned in a small prison, which is raised up and reached by spiral staircase. Two of knights with a large catapault, a red/black wizard (I presume) and a red dragon, not unlike those in the fantasy-era castle sets.
70404 King's castle, £80: Excellent looking 4-sided castle with drawbridge, three turrets, 3 or 4 knights plus the King, 3 baddies and a siege machine of some sort.

Galaxy Squad
70706 Crater Creeper, £18: Large 6-legged bug, with beetle like pincers, small craft with green spaceman
70707 CLS-89 Eradicator Mech, £35:Two legged mecha, orange and white, two different four-legged bugs,
70708 Hive Crawler, £50: even larger 6 legged bug whose legs move as it's rolled across the floor. Features an egg-flinging mechanism at the back that contain small Alien-like face-huggers. It looked fantastic, and is very clever. Also comes with dark red spceman in small white/dark red craft. The best of the bunch.
70709 Galactic Titan, £80: Blue/white large tracked vehicle with detachable spaceship, long-thin millipede-like bug with a 'bug-fig' on its back.

Lord of the Rings
79005, The Wizard Battle, small £12 set featuring Saruman and Gandalf the Grey
79006, The Council of Elrond, £30, looks pretty much like I remember it from the film, and features Elrond, Arwen, Frodo and Gimli
79007, Battle at the Black Gate, £60, which we've all seen and which contains Aragorn, Gandalf the White, Mouth of Sauron and two Mordor Orcs
79008, Pirate Ship Ambush, £90, quite a reasonable ship using the usual parts. I think it has three mid-sections. Brown sails, nine minifigs: Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, KIng of the deas, 2 soldiers of the dead, Pirate of Umbar, which the guy on the stand reckons is supposed to be the one played by Peter Jackson, and two Mordor Orcs.

ghostmind

FBTB Lone Ranger report

http://www.fbtb.net/2013/01/22/uk-toy-fair-2013-lone-ranger/

79106 Cavalry Builder Set … a nice little “battle pack” set, with 3 cavalry figure and the Lone Ranger. Comes with a horse (the one that can rear up, that first came in the LOTR sets) and a small fort & cannon. Price point £11.99.

79107 Comanche Camp … a set consisting of a wigwam, canoe and a scorpion pit. Comes with 3 figures, Lone Ranger, Tonto and Chief Redmeat (if I heard my audio recording correctly). Price point £19.99.

79108 Stagecoach Escape … a pretty nice looking stagecoach (with proper suspension), featuring 5 minifigures … Tonto, Lone Ranger, 2 bad guys and Red Harrington, plus 3 horses. Apparently, the safe that’s on top of the Stagecoach was a Lego invention and they liked it so much, they put it in the film! Price point £29.99.

79109 Colby City Showdown … a bank and a jail, both of which have plenty of play features where parts of the sets will blow up … a safe, the front of the bank and the jail cell. Figures include 2 bad guys, Dan Reid, Tonto and the Lone Ranger. Price point £39.99.

79110 Silver Mine Shootout … a pretty nice playset, again featuring parts of the set that will blow up. Set features Tonto, the Lone Ranger, 2 baddies and another Indian. There seemed to be some nice chrome silver parts too (Coins, bullion bars etc), which is the treasure the baddie is trying to steal, I assume. Price point £69.99.

79111 Constitution Train Chase … a great looking train, including a complete circle of track and seven minifigures – Rebecca Reid, Tonto, Lone Ranger, Rebecca Reid’s son, cavalry officer (that had a rather nice cavalry hat and hair mold) and another bad guy who also has a working gattling gun, which was a good play feature indeed. Price point £79.99.

leng jai

The Sith Infiltrator is a really nice set despite the high price point. The wing design is genius and it has the best swooshability - better than the Avengers set IMO. Minifigs are easily the best I've seen too. Can't go wrong with Darth Malgus and two Killzone-esque soldiers.

I've been itching to get another larger set for a while now. Still haven't bought the Haunted House yet as its virtually impossible to get a decent price for it in Australia. Last "big set" was the Winter Village Cottage and that was back in October. Got my sights on the new Cinema modular and the Horizon Express although I've never bought a train set before. Anyone got it yet?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The Castle sets sound very much like retreading familiar ground (Kingdoms 2009-2010) with some added dragons.

The Sith Infiltrator is a really nice set despite the high price point. The wing design is genius and it has the best swooshability - better than the Avengers set IMO. Minifigs are easily the best I've seen too. Can't go wrong with Darth Malgus and two Killzone-esque soldiers.

I've been itching to get another larger set for a while now. Still haven't bought the Haunted House yet as its virtually impossible to get a decent price for it in Australia. Last "big set" was the Winter Village Cottage and that was back in October. Got my sights on the new Cinema modular and the Horizon Express although I've never bought a train set before. Anyone got it yet?

Horizon is VERY good. I posted lots of pics and reviewed each section of it.

The Castle sets sound very much like retreading familiar ground (Kingdoms 2009-2010) with some added dragons.

Or retreading the '07-'08 sets (which had a few dragons), without the other races (Dwarves, Skeletons, & Trolls).

Dragon's Peak sounds pretty good, but I'm mostly uninspired by the direction Castle is going. Oh well, at least LOTR is good.

zou

It is Astrid and an intern doing the design. I am not shocked after Town Hall. They should get the guy who made Haunted House to do the next modular. He would make a beastly one.

Yeah, I'd rather have Jamie on the Modulars and no train, then Astrid and a train :/

Or the designer that did Diagon Alley. But I guess with Jamie having been promoted, we'll probably see less of him going forward.

Looking at instructions for Sopwith Camel online and trying to replicate the propeller design to use on a MOC. The trick seems to be getting the SNOT to work for all the curved bricks to stay stable.

ghostmind

According to FBTB, the gold minifig is in Series 10, though he also does not know how it is going to work.

The way he words it, it sounds like the gold minifig chaser will not be continuing in Series 11, which features green packaging.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Time to post our preliminary buying plans!

2013 LEGO Battle Plan (with extreme prejudice)* said:
Castle
70400 - Forest Ambush
70403 - Dragon's Peak

City
60011 - Surfer Rescue
60023 - City Starter Set

CUUSOO
21103 - Back to the Future Time Machine

Galaxy Squad

30230 - Mini Mech (Polybag)
30231 - Space Insectoid (Polybag)
70704 - Vermin Vaporizer - $59.99
70705 - Crater Creeper
70706 - CLS-89 Eradicator Mech
70707 - Hive Crawler
70708 - Galactic Titan

Legends of Chima
Speedorz (June)
70107 - Skunk Attack (Skinnet)
70114 - Sky Joust (Rawzom, Eris)

Main sets (August)
70007 - Eglor's Twin Bike (Eglor, Razcal)
70008 - Gorzan's Gorilla Striker (Gorzan, Gardo, G'Loona, Rizzo)
70010 - The Lion Chi Temple (Lavagris, Laval, Longtooth, Ewald, Cragger, Crawley, Razar)

Speedorz (September)
70110 - Tower Target (Grizzam)
70111 - Swamp Jump (Furty)

Lone Ranger
79108 - Stagecoach Escape

Star Wars
75005 - Rancor Pit - $59.99

Super Heroes
76006 - Iron Man: Extremis Sea Port Battle

Minifigures
Series 10 (May 2013)
Series 11 (September 2013)
*More items will definitely be added onto the list post-impulse spending.

Goodbye, old friend.
|~Skylanders 3 + Disney Infinity~|
======================

Cade

I hope the Lone Ranger LEGO sets are good. I don't have many of the classic Western LEGO sets, and I'm anxious to get a couple of these.

Top Bottom