• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

BigGC93

Neo Member
Gave up on finding series 9 mini figures for now. I had a three our gap between classes at college today, so I walked to target, toys r us, walmart, barnes and noble and back to target, but couldn't find them anywhere. I asked the guy at target if they had them in back-stock, but he said "nope"; "those fly off the shelves as soon as we get them". I always miss out on these because the stores around me rarely have them. I don't want to buy them online because there are specific ones I want and I can feel them out at stores. Oh well, I'll try again next week I guess.

Got Fire Brigade from Amazon. Not too happy with the condition of the box. Lots of edge wear and creases down the front.

Edit: They are offering me a discount but are not letting me exchange it. How are Amazon usually with packaging?

It was wrong before? I never noticed...

Got Fire Brigade from Amazon. Not too happy with the condition of the box. Lots of edge wear and creases down the front.

Edit: They are offering me a discount but are not letting me exchange it. How are Amazon usually with packaging?

Did you buy it new or used? I just got mine and the box is in good condition, though there didn't seem to be much if any padding around the edges between the Fire Brigade box and the outer box. My Imperial Shuttle was also packaged similarly and arrived well. It may be that UPS in your area is just worse than mine?

Fowler

Castle sounds a bit generic, but I might get it to try some Game of Thrones MOCs, depending on what the sets look like...

I want to get that king's castle and a bunch of green baseplates. I'll set up vampyre castle and the humans' castle at opposite ends of a bunch of scenery warring over a poor human village.

Ooor I could do that with helm's deep right now..... A shame I spent so much on hobbies that aren't this one. I feel so much less shame in my purchases when it happens piecemeal

lingiii

Banned
Wait what is/was wrong with the title?

Popped by Bellevue WA LEGO store today while I was in the mall... realized with Imperial Shuttle arriving tomorrow and nowhere to put SSD, and my main-lining of all the TMNT sets (except the sewer playset meh) last week--there wasn't anything I wanted! Disaster! Gotta get into another set. Or you know, save some cash until the next round of sets starts showing.

Also it was quiet so employees helped me feel out bags for my missing Series 9. Big disaster because some kid came in and got like 6 knights out of the last case for a 2nd grade diorama project or something, so he was tough to track down but we got him.

subscribed (to my first thread ever).... all these builds and pics are awesome :D

Welcome to GAF with your first thread/post! Stay a while.

edit:

This just popped up in Pics That Make You Laff (and get you banned) thread:
0rieYZB.jpg

Made me laugh, haven't been banned yet.

^^nice...

yeah those damn minifigs... i thought i had a system going with the DOT codes, but they must have changed batches at the Lego Store, because while it worked 100% of the time last time, this time we got like 4 double figures and only 1 new one :(

Thinking of just bricklinking the remaining 5 or so... expensive but at least you know you got the right ones!

How do you go about buying a whole box anyways? I mean do you just ask at your local Lego store? I have never seen any for sale before...

Rhaegar

Just wondering if anyone here owns the Super Heroes Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape set and what they thought of it. Torn between that set and Batwing Battle Over Gotham City as my next target in my quest to own all of the Super Hero sets. Loving the minifig selection in the Funhouse, but still lusting over the all black Batman minifig in the Batwing set...

Just wondering if anyone here owns the Super Heroes Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape set and what they thought of it. Torn between that set and Batwing Battle Over Gotham City as my next target in my quest to own all of the Super Hero sets. Loving the minifig selection in the Funhouse, but still lusting over the all black Batman minifig in the Batwing set...

If your quest is to own them all there really is only one solution here i'm afraid ;)

^^nice...

yeah those damn minifigs... i thought i had a system going with the DOT codes, but they must have changed batches at the Lego Store, because while it worked 100% of the time last time, this time we got like 4 double figures and only 1 new one :(

Thinking of just bricklinking the remaining 5 or so... expensive but at least you know you got the right ones!

How do you go about buying a whole box anyways? I mean do you just ask at your local Lego store? I have never seen any for sale before...

I think it's easiest online to buy a box but don't quote me...I need to try it one time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sadly, it seems Lego have stuffed with the MBA program a little bit, but I'm still thinking about importing the next set of MBA kits for his birthday.

A pity. I met a man during the Olympics at the Denmark site who said he heard rumblings that they were going to introduce it to other countries. Was interested in checking them out if they came to the UK.

So i just figured out that the minifigs in the little Surfer set i got at the Lego Store the other day are ACTUALLY existing CMFs out of series 2,3 and 4!!

Does Lego often "recycle" their figs like that?

Norfair

I know now I have found kindered souls on this board. I sometimes take the bags out of the box and throw it out before I get home so I can hid them from the wife before it is assimilated into the collective.

You know you have a problem when...

Actually I do the same thing.

Rhaegar

You know you have a problem when...

Actually I do the same thing.

I actually break down the box and store everything in a large rubbermaid bin before the wifey sees anything. Makes me feel like a secret agent...

Pretty much the only thing keeping me from getting a ridiculously huge set like SSD.

Thinking of ordering the A Wing, Desert Skiff, and Gandalf Arrives today from Amazon. I have some credit and would only cost me 7 out of pocket.

Wish there were some more cheap LOTR sets that were decent. Any ideas?

So i just figured out that the minifigs in the little Surfer set i got at the Lego Store the other day are ACTUALLY existing CMFs out of series 2,3 and 4!!

Does Lego often "recycle" their figs like that?
They did that with the "halloween" set that included series 1 zombie and series 2 Witch also with the rock band set included the punk rockers, however LEGO covered its back by slightly changing some color/paterns from the figures.
For example the Zombie in the Halloween set was brown instead of grey and so on.

They did that with the "halloween" set that included series 1 zombie and series 2 Witch also with the rock band set included the punk rockers, however LEGO covered its back by slightly changing some color/paterns from the figures.
For example the Zombie in the Halloween set was brown instead of grey and so on.

Ok that makes sense, i saw that Halloween set at the store as well...

Though i could swear the 2 surfers and the Hula girl are EXACTLY the same even colors etc. hmm

Ironmask

Though i could swear the 2 surfers and the Hula girl are EXACTLY the same even colors etc. hmm

yep the surfers are the same, LEGO did some alterations on the rock band minifigs set (both three of them) and the halloween set (only the zombie was made different)
also there's a LEGO Calendar in sale wich contains a Cheerleader and a Skater from S1.

I just looked at them and you are right, they are the same in this set not colour or pattern variations, so this looks like a good way to get those discontinued minifigures from series 2, 3 and 4

I have the Batwing set, but not the Funhouse set. The figures and some of the parts in the Funhouse set are tempting though. The Batwing set is pretty cool, if unspectacular. Building Joker's helicopter was the best part, especially the ladder on it.

It was wrong before? I never noticed...

Did you buy it new or used? I just got mine and the box is in good condition, though there didn't seem to be much if any padding around the edges between the Fire Brigade box and the outer box. My Imperial Shuttle was also packaged similarly and arrived well. It may be that UPS in your area is just worse than mine?

Nope. Bought it new. With bad packaging from Amazon, drop-ship scams on eBay and insane mark-ups at TRU, there seem to be fewer avenues for discounts on large Lego sets.

I know now I have found kindered souls on this board. I sometimes take the bags out of the box and throw it out before I get home so I can hid them from the wife before it is assimilated into the collective.

I am with you on this. I'm lucky that my wife is completely oblivious to things around the house (she's otherwise very smart).

She knew I'd bought my daughters a handful of minifigs and just assumes that the...(quick calculation)...one hundred and eighteen I have on a shelf in the basement just came from "somewhere".

August: Zombie car, swamp creature, mummy etc. etc. Oh yeah these all came with the Castle we got our daughter don't you remember?

September: Alien Conquest Earth Defense HQ? Oh I found it at a salvation army store for $5.

October: That Winter Toy Shop? You don't remember me buying that in like April? Really?

November: All these superheroes? Yeah they come with those modular sets.

December: Y-Wing? Your memory is going sweetie. I bought that at Christmas last year.

Seeing this in writing is making me realized I'm a monster.

On my last trip to the USA I picked up the first Lego Master Builder Academy (MBA) kit for my oldest kid and we opened it today. It's really impressive and I think it'd be a fantastic buy for anyone with a kid who is into Lego who wants to break out from just following the instructions. He's still a little young (he's 6) and impatient but I was able to work on the first model with him and explain some of the more detailed parts that the book was teaching to him as we went along.

Sadly, it seems Lego have stuffed with the MBA program a little bit, but I'm still thinking about importing the next set of MBA kits for his birthday.

MBA2.jpg

MBA1.jpg

I'm jealous :( I want to have that as well but it isn't available in the Netherlands :(
Come on LEGO!

I lied to my wife about some of the really small Creator sets. "Oh, I found instructions online on how to build that."
Technically it is true for some of them.

I am with you on this. I'm lucky that my wife is completely oblivious to things around the house (she's otherwise very smart).

She knew I'd bought my daughters a handful of minifigs and just assumes that the...(quick calculation)...one hundred and eighteen I have on a shelf in the basement just came from "somewhere".

August: Zombie car, swamp creature, mummy etc. etc. Oh yeah these all came with the Castle we got our daughter don't you remember?

September: Alien Conquest Earth Defense HQ? Oh I found it at a salvation army store for $5.

October: That Winter Toy Shop? You don't remember me buying that in like April? Really?

December: Y-Wing? Your memory is going sweetie. I bought that at Christmas last year.

lol you're me, been there done that, now my 6 years old nephew is big into Ninjago, so I am always buying sets for him, of course everytime I buy a Ninjago set for my nephew somehow I also order a SW set or minifigures for me.
When my wife asks what are those LEGO bills I just say: "Well you know, My nephew love Ninjago so much that I like buying him sets", I am not lying, it's just that's not the whole story.

Why does it sound like she knows and is indulging you?

Why does it sound like she knows and is indulging you?

She is actually a bit more understanding recently and got me the Winter Bakery for my birthday on Monday. Part of what you say is true, but she really doesn't know the extent of it.

She actually threw me a LEGO themed birthday party on Saturday. I'm sniffing 40 so I find this hilarious. Minifigs on the cake and everything. I had picked up an extra Zombie Car poly a while back for a friend who is equally invested (actually more so-his entire fig collection is probably approaching 800+). I took him to the "LEGO room" to give it to him, and when we turned around there were 10+ sons, daughters, nieces, nephews & friends' kids staring at us with "OH MY GOD YOU ARE GIVING AWAY LEGO AT THIS PARTY?!" eyes.

And so goes the story of how I gave away every single one of my CMF doubles I had been hoarding. So many series 2 guys gone. Pour a sip.

When my wife asks what are those LEGO bills I just say: "Well you know, My nephew love Ninjago so much that I like buying him sets", I am not lying, it's just that's not the whole story.

This. Every kid in our (very large) family loves LEGO so I make frequent trips to Lasting Toys and the LEGO store. Every single trip gets a little something "extra" added to the bill.

Wow... while it's cool that you guys get so much stuff, it's a bit scary to read. At least I don't have anyone to lie to if I seriously start buying stuff.

Speaking of which, got a small raise last year so I'm getting three months' worth of raise on Friday...

I haven't really told people about my recent Lego interests (except the family) but I've been giving stuff I don't need (some minifigs and small stuff I only needed one piece from) to friends with kids.

Ponn

Banned
I have the Batwing set, but not the Funhouse set. The figures and some of the parts in the Funhouse set are tempting though. The Batwing set is pretty cool, if unspectacular. Building Joker's helicopter was the best part, especially the ladder on it.

Do you have the Two Face chase set? If so how is that? I was looking for a set with a regular Batman mini fig with cape to go with the Arkham set and I thought the Batmobile would look cool sitting outside the gate.

Ironmask

ahahah you pretty summed up all my tactics, plus i've got a daughter so whenever i buy a Friends set for her, i'll grab something for me as well

Some pics of the Red Rotors set.

145 pcs, $15 at Target.

Photobomb incoming!!

Main build:
D0FDDE31-02BB-465D-BA6E-F00EEAED7D08-34211-00001C2D3968F6FF.jpg

3C89F020-8D5B-4C90-B4FF-3C992BB0DD4C-34211-00001C2D31093228.jpg

A4010DAE-B04D-4639-B98E-B2C72FB48C72-34211-00001C2D22245274.jpg

Hovercraft:
D95961B2-74E3-4AC4-A3C5-9ADA0C8B1E96-34211-00001C2D122D6492.jpg

1F309826-9F3D-44DA-BFDC-346D3923796A-34211-00001C2D0749D789.jpg

66CE8225-85AA-4444-BE18-A572D40CDDC6-34211-00001C2CF3BD3FFF.jpg

Plane:
06D676F1-015E-4AA4-9267-F8EA534226CB-34211-00001C2CED66F467.jpg

0F979781-9F7A-416A-A7B8-BDB1E49E87E4-34211-00001C2CE5FF0185.jpg

52BE5978-64F6-4A35-AC1C-84A8F1F7EBA8-34211-00001C2CDA7E61D9.jpg

My favorite would have to be the plane. Pretty fun build.

Least favorite would be the hovercraft. Since it comes with 2 of the black smooth pieces, the back of the craft drags. And if you try to put them closer to the middle, with one in front and one in back, it won't sit right.

The copter uses the most pieces. You also get 4 extra pieces in the set.

Worth the $15, but even better if you can get it on sale.

Top Bottom