• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Ironmask

I started the haunted house, I skipped the furniture for now so my daughter (3 years old) can build then and put them in the house afterwards.

I only did the first floor though, decided to pace myself and savour it.

you just give me the right excuse to buy the HH.

"Darling, it's not for me but for our daughter so she can build all the furnitures inside!"

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
How much did it end up costing you and did you have to make any substitutions?

I believe it will be right at $500 or 550. I did do some subs because I am not going to pay $25 for a 1x2x8 blue arch when I can get a black one for 14 cents. I also ordered the doors from Lego but they were out of stock by the time my order processed, so I will just use some doors from my old sets. They wanted anywhere from $45 to 55 for one door on bricklink. I have 4 orders from Lego directly and 5 orders from Bricklink in all.

you just give me the right excuse to buy the HH.

"Darling, it's not for me but for our daughter so she can build all the furnitures inside!"

My daughter has been asking for it for a while now-she turns seven in the summer and wants that for her birthday present.

Last week we went to the LEGO store to pick up Town Hall, and I gave her my holiday PAB box to fill up. She filled it (professionally stacked, mind you) with black and grey plates and said:

"Daddy...I hope I can get the haunted house for my birthday. But I'm going to try and make my own haunted house with these plates. If I can do it then I don't want the haunted house but I will probably want the haunted house"

So conflicted. So proud, but really want that house!

ruxtpin

Banned
Ordered the Bug Obliterator for 64 USD. Going to see how I like the new space stuff. I gotta' admit, there are some neat looking pieces in the set.

Obviously I made my mind up on some, but on others I am still undecided on. Does anybody have any of these? Recommend some over others?

This, you need this:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Superman-vs-Power-Armor-Lex-6862

And I'd really rethink your stance on The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Dynamic-Duo-Funhouse-Escape-6857

Bats, Robin, Joker, plus exclusive Riddler and Harley Quinn, all for $40. If you don't have a Lego Store near you, try placing an order online through Toysrus.com for in-store pickup. Online they'll give you the actual MSRP of $40, as opposed to the marked up $55 they sell it for in store.

31011-1.jpg

I dont remember seeing this one before. But it looks awesome.

Hey everyone, I want some advice.

So with my tax return, I am planning on finally diving in and getting Lego stuff. And I want to go semi-big and get a handful of sets.

So my plan is to, eventually, create a type of superhero city with a bunch of Marvel, DC, and City sets all together into one fine collage of awesome. So, to start, I want to get Batman and Police stuff. My budget is $150. I would love to not go over $100, but $150 is something I can get up to if I really like it.

So I want to maximize what I can get for $125-150, and I am looking at all of these sets.

Tumbler + the Bat $40 - TDKR Bane + Batman, plus Gordon(which would be awesome for the police force I am going to assemble), almost looks like a guarantee. I am just not feeling that Bat design.

Arctic Batman $20 - All white Batman, what else can I say? Aquaman and Freeze are okay, but its mostly for Bats. Cheap, too. Right up there with the Tumbler set.

Batwing vs Joker copter $35 - Looks great, but not really digging the Joker helicopter. Need a Joker though and I am not a fan of the set that has Robin and Riddler and stuff. Batwing looks amazing though. Iffy on this one.

Wolverine helicopter $20 - I just want Deadpool. I don't really care for Magneto, Wolverine is okay, but maaaaan....Deadpool. Kind of meh on this set.

Police car + 2 criminals $10 - Very cheap, adds a few minifigures to the collection. Could be Bane underlings, Police adds to the Police force, almost a guarantee for me.

Batmobile 2Face chase $50 - high price almost makes me want to say no, but Two-face and Batmobile are so amazing. Henchmen and a cop, too. Just...the price...

Police Mobile Command Center $35 - Looks cool, good idea, adds more to the Police force. Kind of expensive, but otherwise...probably the least likely for the City stuff IMO.

Police Forest Station $65 - Expensive, but actually has some structure to it that I could actually position people on. 3 Cops, 2 henchmen, and a bunch of vehicles just adds to the fun.

Police Station $80 - Adds a bunch of police, a huge station, and adds structure. Interesting, but a lot more than I'd like. Plus it looks one-dimensional so I am not sure if I would be impressed in person.

Obviously I made my mind up on some, but on others I am still undecided on. Does anybody have any of these? Recommend some over others?

Thank you! Hopefully I will rejoin the Lego ranks soon!

I highly recommend all the $20 super hero sets. One you didn't include, but will soon become hard to find is this one.
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Superman-vs-Power-Armor-Lex-6862

The Wolverine copter one was recently on sale online at both Amazon and Walmart. Artic Batman (and http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Spider-Man-Spider-Cycle-Chase-76004) will be around for awhile as they just came out.

I have no suggestions on the police sets. LEGO constantly puts out police and fire sets so if none of them strike you as must get you can always wait. I understand you're under a budget, but if you weren't the modular sets (~$150) are best for a city. If you don't get the modulars, pretty much you will have a building facade with open backs for playability.

As for sales and saving on LEGO, check out toysnbricks.com and Brickset.com Amazon sales link. I also use a 3rd party site called camelcamelcamel.com to actively monitor Amazon for price changes for certain sets.

DJ_Lae

That does look awesome.

And expensive. I can only imagine the markup it'll get here in Canada. I already feel a bit burned by that green robot guy for the MOC contest.

(and I was planning on picking up a couple of those Friends animal polybags for my daughter until I scanned them and realized they were six bucks a pop)

Online rumours indicate that the next monument is the Sydney Opera House and the UCS X-Wing is a Red Squadron X-Wing at £170 pounds?

Double VIP points dates are 25, 26 and 27 March.

Sydney Opera House? That we will get an actual good looking set to apologize for the travesty that was the Architecture one? SIGN ME UP!

ghostmind

Online rumours indicate that the next monument is the Sydney Opera House and the UCS X-Wing is a Red Squadron X-Wing at £170 pounds?

Double VIP points dates are 25, 26 and 27 March.

Both rumors are coming from one user (legoboy) on Brickset, posted this morning, with links leading to blank pages on Brickset. I'm fairly confident that 10240 UCS X-wing is happening, but there is still no concrete info on what it will be.

jpatez34

Neo Member
Damn! I can't buy the Bug Obliterator or Space Interceptor through Amazon. Why won't they ship them to the UK? June is so far away :-(

Is there a breakdown of quantities of each mini figure per box of 60?

It's been posted in the thread a few times. There was a pic with the whole box built and arrayed on a large board. Someone who saved it might repost it for you. I remember there were 6 each of 4 different varieties, 4 or 3 of some, and a couple with only 2.

For the most part the 6-to-a-box thing were figures like the space orc where people might want to build an army of the fig.

iuuk

Sydney Opera House? That we will get an actual good looking set to apologize for the travesty that was the Architecture one? SIGN ME UP!
I thought the Sydney Opera House architecture set actually looked quite decent and as a bonus it was an interesting build.
And to be completely honest, I was hoping for a more interesting monument than the opera house. Now Fallingwater, that one needs a bigger set, I don't care that it's not a monument.

It's been posted in the thread a few times. There was a pic with the whole box built and arrayed on a large board. Someone who saved it might repost it for you. I remember there were 6 each of 4 different varieties, 4 or 3 of some, and a couple with only 2.

For the most part the 6-to-a-box thing were figures like the space orc where people might want to build an army of the fig.

Sorry for being lazy. I thought I saw it a few pages back, but it was someone's collection. After a little digging, it is back on page 19.

I thought the Sydney Opera House architecture set actually looked quite decent and as a bonus it was an interesting build.
And to be completely honest, I was hoping for a more interesting monument than the opera house. Now Fallingwater, that one needs a bigger set, I don't care that it's not a monument.

I want Brooklyn Bridge at some point. Or the Chrysler Building.

iuuk

I want Brooklyn Bridge at some point. Or the Chrysler Building.
I would love to see a Chrysler building. It would be nice to have a somewhat modern sky scraper in LEGO's monument line.

The monument I would most like to see, however, is the Notre Dame. That one is perfect for legofication.

ghostmind

Assuming this Sydney Opera House rumor is correct (and large grains of salt with that), then the "10,000"-series 2013 AFOL sets are shaping up to be:

10232 Palace Cinema
10233 Horizon Express
10234 Sydney Opera House
10235 ???
10236 ???
10237 The Tower of Orthanc
10238 ???
10239 ???
10240 Red Leader X-wing Starfighter

Given past release patterns, I would expect a second 2013 UCS Star Wars set to occupy one of the unknown spots, and a 2013 Winter Village set to be in a second unknown spot. That still leaves at least two more "adult" sets to come for 2013...

Assuming this Sydney Opera House rumor is correct (and large grains of salt with that), then the "10,000"-series 2013 AFOL sets are shaping up to be:

10232 Palace Cinema
10233 Horizon Express
10234 Sydney Opera House
10235 ???
10236 ???
10238 ???
10239 ???

Given past release patterns, I would expect a second 2013 UCS Star Wars set to occupy one of the unknown spots, and a 2013 Winter Village set to be in a second unknown spot. That still leaves at least two more "adult" sets to come for 2013...
Red Baron!

Ponn

Banned
I started the haunted house, I skipped the furniture for now so my daughter (3 years old) can build then and put them in the house afterwards.

I only did the first floor though, decided to pace myself and savour it.

Man you are making this hard for me. Should have my tax refund Friday and i've been having a meltdown between Haunted House or Vampyre's Castle and Ghost Train. I want them more for display, not a playset so thats why Ghost Train has been a dilemma for me, don't want the plane at all just the train. Vampyre's Castle has half piece count of HH but from videos and pics it stands just as tall and even opens up to look bigger. Plus I could do some neat Castlevania scenes with it.

But that Haunted House, damn that Haunted House just..emmm.

ghostmind

Man you are making this hard for me. Should have my tax refund Friday and i've been having a meltdown between Haunted House or Vampyre's Castle and Ghost Train. I want them more for display, not a playset so thats why Ghost Train has been a dilemma for me, don't want the plane at all just the train. Vampyre's Castle has half piece count of HH but from videos and pics it stands just as tall and even opens up to look bigger. Plus I could do some neat Castlevania scenes with it.

But that Haunted House, damn that Haunted House just..emmm.

If you can, find a way to get both the Haunted House and the Vampyre Castle, as they are both very different build experiences.

The Ghost Train was the most dissapointing set for me out of the Monster Hunters line... the build was underwhelming as well.

Ponn

Banned
If you can, find a way to get both the Haunted House and the Vampyre Castle, as they are both very different build experiences.

The Ghost Train was the most dissapointing set for me out of the Monster Hunters line... the build was underwhelming as well.

Oh crap don't say that about Ghost Train.

I was thinking Vamp Castle now and a few other sets. I already have Werewolf and Swamp creature on the way and got Mummy for Christmas. If I did Vamp Castle and skip Ghost train I could get a few sets i've been eyeing to go with Arkham Breakout, Supes/Lex power armor, Halloween Accessory for Vamp Castle/HH and either Bane/The Bat or Dynamic Duo FH.

From the sounds of it time is running out on Monster Fighter sets but HH will be around for a bit longer to give me time on it. Probably best to be prudent instead of rash.

R-User!

10232 Palace Cinema
10233 Horizon Express
10234 Sydney Opera House
10235 ???
10236 ???
10238 ???
10239 ???

This is interesting...

We have a

Modular 10232 Palace Cinema
Train 10233 Horizon Express
Mega Sized Creator set to replace Tower Bridge 10234 Sydney Opera House
Mystery Set 10235 ??? Perhaps a Sopwith/VW sized equivalent vehicle, ship, plane or blimp?
Mystery Set 10236 ??? Perhaps a Disney/Marvel UCS?!
Lord of the Rings "UCS" or Helms-Deep-price-point-equivalent set 10237 The Tower of Orthanc
Winter Village Coffee Shop Set :D
One can dream can't they
10238 ???
Mystery Star Wars additional UCS: perhaps Lego Cuusoo UCS Sandcrawler before the holidays?!? 10239 ???
UCS X-Wing with or without trench. I want with trench!! 10240 Red Leader X-wing Starfighter

Who knows what's coming this year, but looking at this list it makes me realize one thing:

I need more money!!! and

I love money! /Idiocracy

Started building the Fire Brigade yesterday. Completed the fire truck. Looks pretty nice.
Will get started on the ground floor today.

10232 Palace Cinema
10233 Horizon Express
10234 Sydney Opera House
10235 ???
10236 ???
10238 ???
10239 ???

As of now, none of those seem to catch my attention immediately like the Haunted House or R2D2 from the 2012 line did. 2011 had awesome sets as well. (T1, Unimog, Shuttle Expedition).

That might change when I see pictures, of course.

It's terrible that they're making a 10000 series orthanc. If it's a bad set, it will break my heart. If it's a good set it will break my wallet and possibly my body when I can no longer afford food. Oh god I'm gonna feel so dumb after buying it.

Fowler

I'm not kidding, I check this thread twice as often nowadays just to see if official details or pics of the Red Leader X-Wing have leaked. To say I want that set is such a massive understatement that it's really not funny.

Does Ghost Train have ANY redeeming factors to it then? It IS the last set that is missing for me to complete the entire theme but i can't justify getting it just for that alone hmm

ghostmind

Does Ghost Train have ANY redeeming factors to it then? It IS the last set that is missing for me to complete the entire theme but i can't justify getting it just for that alone hmm

Well, its got a few glow-in-the-dark ghosts, a unique glow-in-the-dark green flame element , a unique glow-in-the-dark "face", some nice bat-wing parts that flap when you move the train, and a lot of black curve elements.

Naka

The thought of a UCS style Sydney Opera House is very appealing to me. I was really disappointed with the current Architecture series set.

And minifig-compatible!

Creator is knocking them out of the park this year.

Yes! And knocking money out of my pocket!

I guess this is the replacement for the Sonic Boom. Love the curves on the top of this plane.

Sonic Boom, the set that got away from me. I like this Creator set. It's like a poor man's Sopwith set if you wanted a nice prop plane. Pieces used look more interesting than those in the Sonic Boom.

Argh...waited too long and can't find this set anymore.
Harry Potter - Diagon Alley

Another set that got away. Most painful one to date for me. This one I think will have better resale value in the long run. I have 5 LEGO stores within driving distance and they are all sold out. I just saw a ton on a shelf at one just a few weeks ago. Guy at store told me they got last shipment from warehouse which were all battered up and sold for 20% off which are gone. Can't order it online either. So if you see this set and want it, grab it because you don't want to pay after-market prices.

Anyone know where I can get this MSRP still? I'm in the States. Sadness...

ghostmind

LEGO 10234 Creator, Sydney Opera house £250
LEGO 10235 Creator, Product name unknown
LEGO 10236 Star Wars Ewok Village £200

Some interesting rumors are swirling...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
LEGO 10234 Creator, Sydney Opera house £250
LEGO 10235 Creator, Product name unknown
LEGO 10236 Star Wars Ewok Village £200

Some interesting rumors are swirling...

Very interesting. What are the possibilities for 10235?

Sidney Opera House has to be huge for that price. Tower Bridge is £210.

Top Bottom