• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Chuck

Still without luck
Guess we got these in on Monday.

iboDWjwSoVP0Um.jpg

i0n58AzogIjV2.jpg

There's gonna be a raffle to decide who gets to build the display model.

Releases March 1st

You could get Quinjet, Tumbler, and Wolverine Chopper for $130. That gives you lots of great super hero figures, and some really awesome sets to build as well.

Yes, I am pimping the Quinjet. Ignore the fact that it is a great build (after all, Ghostmind and I picked it as one of our top 5 of last year), but it comes with lots of great figures and many are exclusive to that set.

Tumbler gets you Batman and other great DC figures. Wolverine set gets you Deadpool. The other figures in that set are just gravy.

Oh, and as far as the Batman vs. Joker Battle Over Gotham set, the Joker helicopter is the best part of that set outside of the figs. It is all about the ladder. So simple and so cool.

I think, for now, I'm going to stick with DC and City stuff. Quinjet looks nice, but not really up for dropping $70 on one set right now. $50 looks expensive to me right now and I just can't really see myself buying something that expensive without some physical ground to put stuff on haha. I can't just buy air vehicles. But Amazon Warehouse Deals has the Quinjet for ~$50 right now.

Has anyone ever ordered from AWD? Are their sets okay? "like new", for most things on there, just means damaged packaging but I didn't know if there are different standards when it comes to lego stuff.

Tumbler + Wolverine Chopper are looking like definite buys right now though. Batman vs Joker Battle...maybe. I slept on it and it's looking better now than it did last night haha.

This, you need this:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Superman-vs-Power-Armor-Lex-6862

And I'd really rethink your stance on The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Dynamic-Duo-Funhouse-Escape-6857

Bats, Robin, Joker, plus exclusive Riddler and Harley Quinn, all for $40. If you don't have a Lego Store near you, try placing an order online through Toysrus.com for in-store pickup. Online they'll give you the actual MSRP of $40, as opposed to the marked up $55 they sell it for in store.

Superman looks awesome. I played through Lego Batman 2, so I know the Lex mech thing. This went up my want list and will probably be on my second batch. I thought it was $30-40 though so if it really is only $20 I'll get it sooner rather than later.

Batman and Robin look cool, and I pretty much have to have the Joker...but I am just not a fan of the actual background area. The little funhouse thing doesn't really click with me.

I probably sound so picky right now haha. Sorry guys.

I highly recommend all the $20 super hero sets. One you didn't include, but will soon become hard to find is this one.
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Superman-vs-Power-Armor-Lex-6862

The Wolverine copter one was recently on sale online at both Amazon and Walmart. Artic Batman (and http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Spider-Man-Spider-Cycle-Chase-76004) will be around for awhile as they just came out.

I have no suggestions on the police sets. LEGO constantly puts out police and fire sets so if none of them strike you as must get you can always wait. I understand you're under a budget, but if you weren't the modular sets (~$150) are best for a city. If you don't get the modulars, pretty much you will have a building facade with open backs for playability.

As for sales and saving on LEGO, check out toysnbricks.com and Brickset.com Amazon sales link. I also use a 3rd party site called camelcamelcamel.com to actively monitor Amazon for price changes for certain sets.

Already covered on Lex armor, but I am probably going to get it soon. Just probably not in this batch. I'm probably going to stay away from Marvel stuff for a bit, so no go on the Spiderman and Fury set.

But thank you on the website suggestions! I'll definitely check them out for deals and stuff, that'll really help I really appreciate it.

Ponn

Banned
Has anyone ever ordered from AWD? Are their sets okay? "like new", for most things on there, just means damaged packaging but I didn't know if there are different standards when it comes to lego stuff.

Tumbler + Wolverine Chopper are looking like definite buys right now though. Batman vs Joker Battle...maybe. I slept on it and it's looking better now than it did last night haha.

Superman looks awesome. I played through Lego Batman 2, so I know the Lex mech thing. This went up my want list and will probably be on my second batch. I thought it was $30-40 though so if it really is only $20 I'll get it sooner rather than later.

Batman and Robin look cool, and I pretty much have to have the Joker...but I am just not a fan of the actual background area. The little funhouse thing doesn't really click with me.

I probably sound so picky right now haha. Sorry guys.

I ordered my Battle of Helms Deep set from AWD and it came just fine it was even listed as Good and got it for $86 and the box looked like you would get it off a walmart shelf, everything fine. I know others have had problems so I guess ymmv.

It looks like you and me are having some of the same internal debates. I am planning my DC purchases around the fact i'm going to be getting the Arkham Breakout set and building a scene around that so what you are going for (a whole city scene) may be different.

I know i'm getting a joker and harley fig with Arkham so having a variation of the two in the Dynamic Duo set is not a priority. I know its a good price for the piece count but already getting Joker, Harley and Robin in Arkham and not really caring for the playset keeps moving it down my list.

I am interested in the Tumbler/Bane set even though its nolan verse the figs look like they fit right in. So I get a Bane without having to buy Batcave, Commish Gordon and a passable Batman fig in black with a cape. The two vehicles don't look too bad either and at worst could sit on my desk at work. Arctic Batman set is almost a given. I was looking at the Batmobile/Two Face set as well. The batmobile looks nice to me and thought it would look cool sitting outside Arkham, it also came with a black suit and cape Batman (I hate, HATE that Arkham Batman does not come with a cape) but I just can't stand that orange suit Two Face. Why on earth did they not stick with black and white Two Face I will never know. For the same price i'd rather have the Bane/Tumbler set and pick up the Catwoman and cycle.

I also like the Marvel stuff but i'm scrambling to get Monster Fighters before they go out and can't afford to collect that many sets. I feel I can get away with a nice DC scene with decent figs within about 4 sets so that sounds good right now.

jpatez34

Neo Member
Does anyone know why the UK has to wait so long for the Galaxy Squad sets?

I could, if I wanted, use the international shipping service from the American Toys R Us website but it will cost me over £120 and one of the sets I want can't be shipped to the UK.

Seeing the new sets from the recent European Toy Fair is making the wait even more hard!

LEGO 10234 Creator, Sydney Opera house £250
LEGO 10235 Creator, Product name unknown
LEGO 10236 Star Wars Ewok Village £200

Some interesting rumors are swirling...
Ewok village? Could be hideous, could be incredible. If anything, it should be a great source for brown pieces and foliage.

Chuck

Still without luck
And you answered my question...

Sow how about another one - what is the box size in comparison to the other modulars?
It's Grand Emporium/Fire Brigade size.

Also, ninja turtle and chima key chains coming very soon.

Also also, I guess bone posted it but Palace Cinema goes on sale Feb 14-28 for VIP members.

Hmmm. I've said before I would buy a massive piece pack of nothing but foliage/nature scenes. If ewok village works on that front, it may be my first star wars lego of adulthood....

I ordered my Battle of Helms Deep set from AWD and it came just fine it was even listed as Good and got it for $86 and the box looked like you would get it off a walmart shelf, everything fine. I know others have had problems so I guess ymmv.

It looks like you and me are having some of the same internal debates. I am planning my DC purchases around the fact i'm going to be getting the Arkham Breakout set and building a scene around that so what you are going for (a whole city scene) may be different.

I know i'm getting a joker and harley fig with Arkham so having a variation of the two in the Dynamic Duo set is not a priority. I know its a good price for the piece count but already getting Joker, Harley and Robin in Arkham and not really caring for the playset keeps moving it down my list.

I am interested in the Tumbler/Bane set even though its nolan verse the figs look like they fit right in. So I get a Bane without having to buy Batcave, Commish Gordon and a passable Batman fig in black with a cape. The two vehicles don't look too bad either and at worst could sit on my desk at work. Arctic Batman set is almost a given. I was looking at the Batmobile/Two Face set as well. The batmobile looks nice to me and thought it would look cool sitting outside Arkham, it also came with a black suit and cape Batman (I hate, HATE that Arkham Batman does not come with a cape) but I just can't stand that orange suit Two Face. Why on earth did they not stick with black and white Two Face I will never know. For the same price i'd rather have the Bane/Tumbler set and pick up the Catwoman and cycle.

I also like the Marvel stuff but i'm scrambling to get Monster Fighters before they go out and can't afford to collect that many sets. I feel I can get away with a nice DC scene with decent figs within about 4 sets so that sounds good right now.

That's good about AWD. I might look into that on some sets, thank you.

Back to Batman, I think I just hit the lottery. My girlfriend said she'll go for half with my on Arkham Breakout. She was walking by and saw me looking at it after you were talking about it, and suddenly she wants it. Score!

I think, right now, I am down to the Bane set, the Arctic Batman, and the Forest Police Station. That'd put my at Bane with two henchmen, Gordon with three cops, Two Batmans(?), Mr. Freeze, and Aquaman. I can definitely roll with that until my gf decides to spring for Arkham Breakout.

And I would love to get Monster Fighters, I just don't know what to get. They would be absolutely perfect for displaying on Halloween and such.

Lego! What a blast haha

Back to Batman, I think I just hit the lottery. My girlfriend said she'll go for half with my on Arkham Breakout. She was walking by and saw me looking at it after you were talking about it, and suddenly she wants it. Score!

I think, right now, I am down to the Bane set, the Arctic Batman, and the Forest Police Station. That'd put my at Bane with two henchmen, Gordon with three cops, Two Batmans(?), Mr. Freeze, and Aquaman. I can definitely roll with that until my gf decides to spring for Arkham Breakout.

And I would love to get Monster Fighters, I just don't know what to get. They would be absolutely perfect for displaying on Halloween and such.

Lego! What a blast haha

If you get only one Monster Fighter set, it should be Haunted House. Outside of that, Vampyre Castle.

Ponn

Banned

Lego! What a blast haha

Your GF F'in rocks and has great taste. Im going to get my second AWD order with Vampyres Castle and will let you know how it comes. If you are interested Amazon still has the Werewolf set for $13. Get that, the swamp creature for $7, the mummy for $12 and you would have a nice full monster fig set for Haunted House.

Damn im itching to put something together now.

853303-1.jpg

Someone mentioned on Brickset that to get one, you had to spend over $500 using the VIP card.

On another note, free shipping in the first half of March is nice. Too bad it doesn't coincide with double VIP points.

Oh, that was easily attained last year. Town Hall, Tower Bridge, Pet Shop...and that was just the beginning. That was not counting Death Star. And since October alone I have gotten Diagon Alley, Maersk, Horizon Express, Haunted House, VW Camper, Mini Modulars, and series 9 figures with my VIP card.

*waits patiently for mail now*

Unless it meant $500 in VIP points. Not $500 worth of sets. Because $500 worth of VIP points is INSANE.

Crizume

Neo Member
Someone mentioned on Brickset that to get one, you had to spend over $500 using the VIP card.

On another note, free shipping in the first half of March is nice. Too bad it doesn't coincide with double VIP points.

I hear you.
Unless I see a good sale on amazon or the like Looks like ill just have to hold off my big lego purchases until double VIP month and drive 1hr to the lego store and place one big order.

Eyeing tower bridge and fire brigade. Will probably throw in one more big set if i can.

I hear you.
Unless I see a good sale on amazon or the like Looks like ill just have to hold off my big lego purchases until double VIP month and drive 1hr to the lego store and place one big order.

Eyeing tower bridge and fire brigade. Will probably throw in one more big set if i can.

Get those both ASAP. They will be gone before you know it.

neonglow

Oh, that was easily attained last year. Town Hall, Tower Bridge, Pet Shop...and that was just the beginning. That was not counting Death Star. And since October alone I have gotten Diagon Alley, Maersk, Horizon Express, Haunted House, VW Camper, Mini Modulars, and series 9 figures with my VIP card.

*waits patiently for mail now*

Unless it meant $500 in VIP points. Not $500 worth of sets. Because $500 worth of VIP points is INSANE.

It's $500 in purchases for 2012. They're giving away 40,000 of these thing.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Rebel squadrons standing by. Old models on the left, new ones on the right. Quoted for size.

They really need to do an updated B-Wing, but I'm sure the UCS one will delay that a while.

So Medieval Market Village and Fire Brigade should arrive today. Which one should I tackle first? I'm assuming I don't have time for both tonight.

Need urgent decision help:

I have an order placed on BrickLink for some sets and the seller informs me that i can still add a set for the same shipping costs (due to weight)

I am now officially torn between:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7188-1 7188-1 "King's Carriage Ambush"

and

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=4865-1 4865-1 "The Forbidden Forest" (Harry Potter theme)

the HP one is cheaper and i don't have any figures of that theme yet plus i like the pieces BUT

the Castle set comes with a KING (and a nice crown) 2 white horses etc. hmmm

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I always thought the VIP figure would be a cool gift but that's a bit out of reach for most people.

Also nice to see double VIP points coming back.

Ironmask

Need urgent decision help:

I have an order placed on BrickLink for some sets and the seller informs me that i can still add a set for the same shipping costs (due to weight)

I am now officially torn between:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7188-1 7188-1 "King's Carriage Ambush"

and

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=4865-1 4865-1 "The Forbidden Forest" (Harry Potter theme)

the HP one is cheaper and i don't have any figures of that theme yet plus i like the pieces BUT

the Castle set comes with a KING (and a nice crown) 2 white horses etc. hmmm

King's carriage ambush - you can't say no to a future hoard of medieval knights

Looks hot. Dat green.

even better irl
8431317343_2d2c15dd8a_o.jpg

wetwired

Nice Delorean

Finished the Haunted House tonight, ended up building the furniture myself rather than let my daughter as I wanted to see it complete, it probably would have been too fiddly for her anyway.

I love the collapsible ladder into the attic and all the junk and bits and pieces up there and for the first set I can even remember I applied the stickers.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I picked up a few new sets as an early birthday gift to my son and I (he's not yet 3 and he is ADDICTED to LEGO! I had the day off on Saturday and when I walked by his room, he said, "Hi daddy! Good morning! IT'S LEGO TIME!" I'm raising him right.). I couldn't resist some new minifigures:

8208290676_df94dd21ab_z.jpg

2x Cyclops ("He's a bad guy!")
2x Heroic Knight
1x Alien Avenger ("Oh no!")
1x Roman emperor
1x Chicken suit Guy (sustained father&son laughter)
1x Mermaid
1x Mr. Good and Evil

I need to expand my display case because some of these really deserve to be prominently displayed (chicken suit, Roman emperor, and Mr. Good and Evil are among my favorites. Alien Avenger will join my Galaxy Patrol figs in an eventual MOC; the knights are welcome additions to my castle armies - Castle was my favorite theme growing up - get back on that, Lego!; Cyclops has to be kept hidden as mini-bagels likes to take him on rampages through Lego-town; and Mermaid needs to stay in seclusion so as not to titillate my other Lego people. All in all, I really like the figs I received and I can't wait to round out my collection - my lawyer brother needs the judge for his desk!)

The big purchase was the Passenger Train,

2_lego_7938_passenger_train_box_side_hr.jpg

the fulfillment of a childhood dream. I hope to add a Horizon Express in the future but, for now, this set offered all of the pieces I needed to get a train up and running at a reasonable price. It has been a total hit with the entire family. My son quickly figured out how to run the train and stop it at the station - it puts a huge smile on his (and hence my) face. My wife, usually merely accepting of our Lego mania, even got in on the action and had a blast. And my cats have really enjoyed playing Godzilla and terrorizing the poor train commuters. I have one set of lights on board, but I need to figure out a more elegant way to connect them to the power brick. I have another set of lights, more track, and a flatbed car (which I got for a few bucks from a friend who has been selling his trains piecemeal before he moves away) on the way. I can see this getting out of hand very, very quickly. :D

Finally, 31009, the small cottage

lego-31009-small-cottage-creator-ibrickcity-3.jpg

rounds out my purchase. It's a cute little set with some nice details (I like the sliding door!). I can't wait to hook up my modulars, some roads, a few more small buildings and finally, finally, after all these years, have a little Lego town. Sharing that with my son is just about the best thing ever.

Any advice for the new train owner, aside from avoiding the flexible tracks?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I only have the knight so far. I should really nip round to my local toy shop and buy some before they run out.

robjoh

The problem with following this thread must be that you want to run out and buy more Lego...and find the time to build with your Lego.

Top Bottom